SW/Central London

Discussion in 'UK' started by d-arke, Mar 8, 2006.

1. d-arke

d-arke Regular Member

You seriously don't want to know. It's way too bor
    Hi there,

I've just moved to London and I am looking to find a badminton club over here so that I can meet up and make some new friends. :) I'm 23, Scottish, though I grew up in Dublin and have been playing badminton for the past 5ish years.

I'm not sure what standard I would be at over here as the league is run differently. :confused: In Dublin I could play in Division 3 (out of six) so would look to find somewhere similar. I've checkout a couple of clubs over here and have found that,
    • they're too expensive (Wimbledon Racket and Fitness):mad:
    • or, use plastic shuttles:eek:
    • or, haven't sufficient membership:(
    • or, only have one court with low structural beams that restrict play.:mad:
    I would like to find somewhere that has a least 3/4 courts and has a decent membership (with some youngish members that I could maybe go for a few drinks with etc) and enter teams into a competitive league/competitions of sort.

I live close to Clapham Junction and rely on public transport so somewhere within a resonable distance travel would be great.

Any comments greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    D

2. alansd

alansd Regular Member

Hi, I think I might have replied to you on badders about wimbledon. I live close by in streatham and would be up for having a hit sometime if your interested. I know your not interested in joining at wimbledon but if you fancy hiring a court for a knock until you find a club then let me know. I dont know of any clubs in that area, you would have to go a bit further south or up into central london for the middx league. Let me know A

3. aaronuk

aaronuk Regular Member

Try checking out www.wpbadminton.co.uk
    I currently play there on Sundays. However I am only intermediate.

There are some really good players there. Its £5 per session. 6.30 pm - 9.30 pm. And they use feathers on four courts.

Let me know if you are interested.

4. d-arke

d-arke Regular Member

Hey, your link won't work. But I think I've been to that site before. Is that Warwick Park Badminton Club? If so, its one of the few clubs that looks remotely decent. If it is, could you do me a huge favour? Whats the best way of getting there from Clapham Junction? Is it close to any train stations?

Also, as its coming to the end of the season, are there any plans to play over the summer? How much is the annual membership?

5. aaronuk

aaronuk Regular Member

I just checked and the link works for me. And yes, it is the Warick Park badminton club.

I duno how to get there by public transport. try looking on one of the map systems, the post code is SE21 7LD.

I duno if they play over summer, I'll ask Ollie this Sunday. Season price is £100.

6. d-arke

d-arke Regular Member

hi aaronuk, sorry, yes the link does work. it wouldnt work for me while i was in work for some reason. i have looked at the website before and it does sound like one of the best clubs to join that i can find on the net.

-four courts
    -feather shuttles
    -£100 membership from sept-apr
    -3 hours play albeit one night a week and on a sunday

all sounding good. only problem is i don't know how to get there via public transport. i think if i went by train it would require two trains and it would take about an hour to get to which isnt too convenient in all honesty.

7. aaronuk

aaronuk Regular Member

Hi d-arke

I live in Vauxhall which is literally next to battersea. I normally drive which takes 15/20 minutes. But when I do take public transport I take the bus 3 towards Crystal Palace and get off at Thurlow Park Road/Croxted Road and then walk to the centre.

Takes around 30 mins

8. d-arke

d-arke Regular Member

Yeah I've a fair idea where Vauxhall is. Where do you get the bus 3 from? I am literally hopeless with the public transport system at the minute. 30 minutes would be excellent if I can manage it.

9. aaronuk

aaronuk Regular Member

Although I live in Vauxhall, I am also walking distance from Kennington where I catch the bus 3. I think that u could take a bus 77 or 77a to the roundabout before Lambeth bridge then take a bus 3 from there.

Should take a little bit longer than 30 minutes for you.

10. d-arke

d-arke Regular Member

Just curious to find out how many people would consider playing badminton in the Battersea/Clapham area if a decent badminton club was set up. The location would be about a 10/15 minute walk from Clapham Junction, or about a 10minute bus trip from Sloane Square.

11. gohth

gohth Regular Member

IT
    I'll definitely consider it. Any intention to enter teams for matches?

12. d-arke

d-arke Regular Member

Definitely. At the minute the standard of play in the club isn't great as its mainly a recreational / social club but it has the foundations of a club in place. There are some players of a decent standard that could probably compete in the lower leagues, with the exception of say one or two who could possible play higher.

13. richardianbrown

richardianbrown Regular Member

My advice is go for it. I would consider playing if it falls on a day/night that suits. As you will see there are lots of people out there looking for places to play!

On this note, I have always hoped to find a club playing late PM on a sat, say 4-7 for example. I would avoid thursdays as many clubs (at least in the Middlesex league) seem to have club nights on this night.

Look forward to reading an update.

Richard

14. d-arke

d-arke Regular Member

well at the minute, i've just emailed the badminton association of england and should soon be in contact with a local badminton development officer regarding this project so hopefully i'll have some word soon. but regardless, maybe if anyone knows of possible other venues in the sw/central london region in case a plan b is required.

15. laula_bean

laula_bean New Member

Marketing Manager
    Ive spent months looking for somewherre in Clapham its such an ideal place for a badminton club!! DO IT!!

16. curiousbug

curiousbug New Member

IT Training Co-ordinator
    I'm in!!

I'm an average player from Malaysia. Used to play 4 days a week back home. Never took part in any competitions. Been in London for 6 months now. Living at Clapham Jc. I'm all in for having a club in Clapham area.

Meanwhile, anyone living near Clapham and currently going for games at any clubs during weekends or Tuesday nights? Please let me know, I'd love to join you. You can contact me at 077 8390 7277.

17. d-arke

d-arke Regular Member

Hmmm.....I'm still in a pickle (not literally though). I still haven't decided what club to join simply because I hadn't found permanent work until now. I'll be starting work as of next week close to Tower Hill.

So...... my thinking at the minute is I could probably get a train from Victoria to West Dulwich and play at Warwick Park Badminton Club or I could look for a club somewhere in central London.

As much as I would like to set up my own club in the Clapham/Battersea area I think I would need more help with it. Any volunteers want to help out! I live beside Clapham Junction and wouldn't mind meeting up for a few drinks to talk about it. I don't believe that setting up a club would be all that difficult, but I'm still a little apprehensive for some reason.

18. gohth

gohth Regular Member

IT
    What sort of help do you need? I don't mind meeting up to discuss it either.

19. sleepysamurai

sleepysamurai Regular Member

Retail sales advisor
    I just joined and I'm also looking for a place to play badminton as well. However I've only been playing badminton for about 2 months. I live in the SW as well about 20mins via SW trains from Clapham I was wondering if anyone knew of any places to play?

20. olicreasey

olicreasey New Member

Shameless Plug!

I play here: Ebbisham, in Epsom, pretty close to the station, which is on one of the Clapham Junction lines. It might be too far away for people from clapham to consider, or it might not. Give it a look.