Su's Badminton club

Discussion in 'Canada East' started by Froca, Nov 23, 2005.

1. Froca

Froca Regular Member

student( must keep a high avg to play badminton an
    allen allen allen wong!!!!
    likeing lee's now???

aren't u happy mr. level 4-5:) too bad i won't be playing in ur class for a while:( that's okay, u still got richie:D

congratz on make 4-5 from 3-4:D

allen u stalker.... follow me all the way to markville mall:mad: STALKER!!!!

2. drop_n_net

drop_n_net Regular Member

Student
    calling me a stalker? jus becuz i was at sportchek looking at equipment? n on boxing day too!! its called a coincidence. n besides, wasnt it u that came looking for me after i left? "where r u going?" u said
    DAVID DAVID DAVID LI!!!!!!
    n as for ur knee, maybe it wouldnt be so injured if u didnt jump at evrything that went above ur head. n im not jus talkin about birdies either:p

3. LolAlan

LolAlan Regular Member

Student

I feel i should say something in defense of Su's badminton club, seeing as I know him better than all of you do.

First of all Froca, it is just disrespectful to say that someone looks like a janitor. It is very crude of you to say something like that on a public forum. I wonder, would you care to describe to us what EXACTLY a janitor looks like? Until you do so, know that your callous comment offends people and you should be very ashamed.

I took privates with coach Su for 2 years before he set up his club, and everybody reading this thread can take it that what I say is much more reliable because of my time spent with him. Coach Su was an assistant coach on the national team. I've even met his affiliates who are still on the national team and who promised me seats will I ever decide to go and watch the 08 Olympics. If you ever truly trained with him at call you know his skills are superb. He isn't as fit anymore because he is over forty and because he was forced to retire as an athlete after he injured his left knee. It is quite unfortunate actually and it is not an area that people should poke fun at. Being badminton players you should be humble and understanding when hear of someone forced to quit a high level of playing because of an injury. Why? Because it could happen to you, though i doubt some of you talking here will ever reach a similar level. There is nothing wrong with his style of teaching. No body should criticize Su's coaching style if you only went to his beginner classes. You only asked for the easy stuff. It's ridiculous if you think about it, and If you couldn't understand him that's your problem. As far as I know, and that's farther than people like Froca, he explains everything clearly and he also demonstrates the movement so there should be no barrier due to language.

The reason why he seem to put his best efforts into coaching is because frankly, there aren't very many suitable subjects at his club, for as you might imagine most of the more talented candidates would naturally go to lee's or mandarin's because of their name and history. And for a small part, i feel that he should train his athletes more intensely. But I am completely against those of you here in this thread bashing Su's club, his training style, his credentials, and even his personal traits when blatantly you don't know enough about the man. And about the racket thing, it's possible but to link that to his credentials, it’s just dumb. The coach doesn't sell accessories for a living; anything he sells is just the odd occasion. And trust me, i know his character well enough to know that if the racket is a fake, he will be the first one to tell you and should you still decide to buy it, he will give you the cheapest price that he sees fit.

I hope who ever comes across this will have a better understanding of the power of internet to spread baseless rumors, and what type of a character coach Su really is.

4. Froca

Froca Regular Member

WAT he's coaching style really is???

well if he actually taught or even give out any lessons at all then i might he's alright. however, the su's club isn't really a teaching facility it's more like a place where u go and just play for recreational level.
    u don't do any drills like drop and net, clear and smash and etc. all u do is go there and play game with someone. the private lesson u go to, of course he'll teach u at least something, u are he's only student and that was back them when he didn't open this club, of course he'll teach u like a real coach. besides even if the teaching style( which i never saw) u said about him was true, i don't want to go to a place where the coach sells fake racquet and tells lies about other clubs like lee's

here's only one example of many lies he told:
    the first day that i went there, me and mr. su started to talk about lee's badminton club and he pointed out a student in the who mr. su said went to lee's for private lesson's for 2 years. however, he doesn't play well at all he's foot work is all messed up, he can't clear and etc. therefore, i assumed he went to lee's and thought lee's sucks. however a month later when i went to lee's badminton to string my racquet, i saw a class going on. To my supprise, they were supper good, i'm sure they could bet anyone from su's. while i was getting my racquet strung, my mom was talking to one of the parent's there waiting outside. that parent said he's son has been playing for two years at lee's and he took the normal lessons. he's son is only 14 and i'm sure he can bet anyone from su's.

after that i began to doubt mr. su therefore i decided to ask the guy that mr su said went to lee's for a 2 yr private leeson. to my astonishment, he never went to lee's and never took any private lessons at all, he's been palaying for only 1 yr, not 2 and he's probably the best player at that su's club before i came( i'm not that good).

now, that guy is going to lee's badminton too because he said he doesn't learn anything from su( no lessons). along with him, 2 other friend of his is also going to lee's for the same reason.

and then there's the fake yy AT 700 incident which i've already mentioned before.

maybe he teachs at those private lessons, but at those normal class lessons he teachs nothing and not everyone can afford to pay for private.
    so no matter how good he's to u, the class lesson is a totally differnet story.

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Ok, 1st of all, I am NOT taking any side, as I don't know anything.

However, I can never agree with the above statement. Selling fakes (regardless whatever price) is pure crime. If he knows and decides not to report it, but continue the business, then, he's simply asking for trouble. Maybe he's a reputable coach, and he's intention is only to obtain cheaper equipment to students. However, he's already against the law, regardless intention, or whether making profit or not. :mad:

6. drop_n_net

drop_n_net Regular Member

Student
    u r rite here, it is quite wrong to say such powerful things in public w/o thinking of the impact of the public's reactions and impressions of a certain person.
    ur claim of ur information being more reliable cannot be proven however, because we r unsure of whether u or froca knows him more. i do not have the amount of background information on him during my time there as either of u though, so i cannot argue on this
    again, i do not know about whether he sells fake rackets or not as i have not seen him sell anything, so i cannot help either side. however, i am against the fact that mr. su would teach the students so differently, in terms of bias. the classes he held didnt contain players of the same level, im sure u, froca, and i could agree on that, but that doesnt mean that he should pay more attention on players with higher level and pay less attention to players of lower level. this is wat i felt as i was one of the older ppl and was in the "group" that mr. su payed more attention to. the other thing is, mr. su was telling the beginners to do things that may have seemed impossible, or that he was misleading them accidentally. i did hear him say jump as high as u can while doin a smash. its true that doing a jump in ur strokes makes a steeper angle in smashes and more deceptionto ur shots, but to beginners. this seems very weird, as their technique would be very wrong, they would get injured,and it seems their improvement would reach a dead end very soon, u would need to learn the jump separately one at a time just like u would for footwork(both legs jumping straight up, on leg jumping landing on one leg etc.), be4 applying them in shots. n evryone hates backtracking.
    u r very rite about this, n rumors r a very powerful thing that spreads quickly, which makes things unfair because the first rumor that comes it is usually the most believable one.

#26 drop_n_net, Jan 5, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2006
  7. Cannon

Cannon New Member

Could LolAlan please just do everyone here a favor to ask mr. Su to provide an Achievement Record like all coaches in Lee's do.

When, where, what with what Achievement and who was coach.

This should not be too difficult for mr. Su

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I don't think this is a good idea. Everyone has his/her own right of guarding privacy. Be it is a good thing or bad, s/he has the right to keep for self, but not the public. :cool:

It's like, if you claim you have a good job. However, should we ask you to provide your salary detail, bank history, etc to show whether you really making a lot? :eek:

On another note, a person could be a great player, but might not be a good coach, due to personality or coaching style. The relaitonship between a student and teach is the trust. If all feel good, it's great. If not working out, regardless what kinda glory each individual has, it's a bad relationship. :rolleyes:

#28 LazyBuddy, Jan 9, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2006
  9. chessymonkey

chessymonkey Regular Member

comp tech
    u did mentioned the trust relationship, its like going through an interview,
    how do the company knows what are your capabilities, they look at your certifications and achivements + yrs of experiences.
    There has to be a starting point before you build the trust relationship between teacher/student. And an achievment/certifications record would be a good starting point. Of course he has the right to guard his privacy, just that i don't believe its out of the line to ask for something like that.
    just my 0.02

10. richievuong

richievuong Regular Member

Student
    The students of Mr.Su chose to trust him and not ask him in-depth for his credentials. Whether he is a credible coach or not, is up to the individual to decide. Of course, showing your certifications and achievements would be a plus to draw in more customers, but since he chose not to, then that's that.

No matter what the reality is, please refrain from "attacking" each other on this thread. Until we really put Lees trained students, and Mandarin trained students against Mr. Su's trained students, we'd never really know who'd win.

I'm sure no one ever buys anything without asking a couple questions. As for the fake AT700 incident, Froca, you really should've pointed that out to him. For me, it definitely took me quite a while to do research before I chose which club to train at.

11. Froca

Froca Regular Member

actually su's join competitions that lee's join and the lost pretty bad:(

12. MikeD

MikeD Regular Member

Landscaper During Summer
    Hmmmm

Well, I don't know this coach. However, from my own personal experiences, I tend to disagree that lower level students should be given as much attention as higher level students. It may seem odd, but in my club, the higher end coachs will quite frequently go into a 5 or 10 minute discussion on shot improvement, whereas for the lower levels, he can suggest simple swing changes, and usually will not explain why. In otherwords, until you can do it perfectly, you don't need to understand why. Also, allowing low level players to recieve a half hour of coaching and the rest of the time games is a clever idea, generally, and I say generally, players, once the fundamentals are learned, will usually develop skills quicker within games (and I have seen this myself). When I'm playing with the highschool club, I am usually forced to play some players that I can beat without trying to hard, but everytime I play them, I see a significant improvement in a certain shot or tactic.

It really does sound like rabeling, and it probably is. But oh well.

13. Cannon

Cannon New Member

a credible coach or not ?

I can't find his name on the official record of all good players in Shanghai during the time that he said he was, and his claims to various titles.

Below is a link to official record of all good players in Shanghai upto today: (Chinese version). I hope you can tell whether Mr. Su is telling the truth about himself or boasting his qualifications. Hope to hear from you.

http://www.shtong.gov.cn/node2/node2245/node4455/node13485/node13555/node60880/userobject1ai15223.html

14. Kiwi*

Kiwi* Regular Member

Student
    sus not all that bad..

#34 Kiwi*, Feb 2, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2006
  15. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Ok, I am NOT taking side, and I have no idea about coach Su's full name. However, in 1985 (MD), 1986/1988 (XD), there's a guy with name "Su Xiong"... :rolleyes:

#35 LazyBuddy, Feb 2, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2006
  16. LolAlan

LolAlan Regular Member

Student
    You guys have to understand that this coach is the new kid on the block compared to Lee's and Mandarins. He is obviously going to have a harder time finding talented players because natually more talented players lean toward clubs with a longer reputation.

I did mention that the level at su's club is rather recreational, and the fact that he has many locations doesn't make him seem any more professional. However, the reason I'm testifying for him as a good coach is because I have seen what he can do and how he can teach. He in a sense brought up me and my partner who took only weekly lessons with him for 1 hour, in the summers sometimes by weekly lessons. Of course, my partner and I are talented badminton fanatics who play on a regular basis and who have seen almost every badminton video on this forum to learn shots from pro players. But anyhow, although I wouldn't say we are that good (after participating in Canadian Nationals with players such as Hariawan), certainly no 14 year old from Lee's or mandarins would ever have a chance against us.

Coach Su really knows what he is doing, but i hope you can understand if he spend more time with more talented candidates who can absorb the things he says. You also have to understand that he is trying to 'settle down' and establish a set location for his club. And in the real world, badminton players aren't so affluent that they can just go ahead and afford it, rather they progress towards this goal step by step. And with the fake racket incident, I really don't know why you guys make such a big deal of it because let's be honest, there are so many of them nowadays in china that seeing one or two transported to canada is inevitable. You didn't see coach su' with a whole cabinet full of fake rackets did you? I highly doubt the coach was pretending to sell the fake at700 as a real yonex racket, a newb wouldnt spend 240 dollars on a racket, while some guy who would pay 240 dollars would be experienced enough to recognize it as a fake. But then you could always get a rich newb, in which case he wouldn't be at Su's club when around the block is Lee's and Mandarins. Bearing in context what I've said, nobody should denegrate su's character based on this incident.

I want people to realize that after we got past the "janitor" thing, we aren't attacking each other but rather offering evidence in support of our view of this Coach.

17. elmo_0.0

elmo_0.0 Regular Member

it's everywhere in toronto....lol locations in dashan66.com

lol i know of creditview (st.joes) and tomken (phlip pocock)

18. elmo_0.0

elmo_0.0 Regular Member

ok 2 things. first

where is lee's?

second.

Su does train, but just not that much.

and last summer (summer of 2006) he went to somewhere else and hired this university student (minh)...and he trained us HARD...

he used like 2 hours a day to specifically train every one..

laps, suicides, different excercises, DRILLs (we had over 200 drills on the last day :( )

it helped a LOT... i thought he was WAY better than su

but they wont let him teach anymore..cuz su's back.

:(

su's ok i guess....i've had worse.

19. toronto259

toronto259 New Member

#39 toronto259, Nov 15, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2006
  20. Kiwi*

Kiwi* Regular Member

Student
    u noe wut he still a great coach. he knows most or all techniques and footworks. he can play hard and hardly misses. iunno wut u guys are all bashing bout but hes a good coach. last time i went there we learned techniques for more than a hour and play settings. usually we do footwork for more than hour too. its either footwork or techniques

^ and i dun remember if he said he was a national champion but i thought he was an assiant coah to them thou
    and elmo wutcha name? i mite noe u..maybe

#40 Kiwi*, Nov 15, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2006