SuperDan: I am better than Taufik

Discussion in 'Asian Games 2006 - Badminton' started by cao ci dan, Dec 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

In fact, a super fit CH can beat LD easily. Just take a look at the 2nd and 3rd games of 2005 AE MSF. LD had no chance against CH's powerful attack.

But CH is old. So I doubt he will be anywhere close to "super fit" again.

2. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I agree with ye333 on this, ZJH is mentioned far more times than for example Yang Yang on this forum with great admiration. Most people say "YY, yeah great player, ZJH, wow one of the best"

Rudy Had the best of both worlds, many tournament victories and sublime talent and flair. Generally it is the flair that people remember-ZJH athletic ability, Rudys' stroke play and mental strength, Prakash's deception.

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    But i have explanation for ZJH's inconsistency. Let see if TH can play this well with 1/3 less lung capacity:p.

The body can only take a certain amount of training. More does not mean better! The law of diminishing returns then kicks in. Recently, I had as a patient a very famous China player. He had been very talented, with good height, reach, good strokes and so on and had even won the All-England mens singles championship. Then, at the height of his career, I read that he had to lay off because of pneumonia, and had to rest. And now, I had him, here in Singapore where he had come to work, under my care. My tests and chest X-rays revealed he had an old healed pneumonia which was complicated. It revealed a poorly-treated infection which had led to pus formation in the pleural cavity (empyema). This in turn led to the lower third of the affected lung being encased in scar and fibrous tissue, thus limiting expansion and exchange of oxygen. I was in no doubt that he had been under great pressure to do well in the Thomas Cup and All-England tournament at that time. He just did not have enough rest! Although he could still play very well, his lasting power would not be the same, and he has not played in high level matches since then.

4. By You

By You Regular Member

The great words

This is the matured answer that noted indirectly he is the long-experienced badminton spectator (and, the long-experienced player as well, I believed).

Taneepak, my regards for you.

TH-fans and LD-fans, badminton is just a game that should make us joyfull. No doubt both TH and LD are the best player in their era. The most important thing is they providing us a good example and an entertaining game as well as the other player.

Lets enjoy the game .....and, please do not enjoy the feud.

5. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Depends on his motivation. I'm not a CH fan but I believe he can still be superfit enough to win at least one good tournament (if he does not have to give way to LD) , maximum three for 2007.It just means he has to work super hard. Thought he was terrific in WC06 (probably cheated by the coach here) and CO06. However ,if you know that most of the time,you're going to be just the spoiler, why work your heart out? Unless there's a chance to lift the title?If CH 's not there for LD, LD will be in trouble.

6. Joyous

Joyous Regular Member

Dear All

I understand it's hard to remain impartial when it comes to our idols. But I am glad some of you are mature enough to go through facts and then comment. Han of Milpitas is one of them. Pride and blind-loyalty will only lead to self-destruction. History has proven that many times. Year 2006 definitely belongs to LD - one just have to look at the number of tournaments he has won and made through to those he didn't win. When asked who he think is the best player, LD said he is the better player than TH in 2006, not the best player. I don't find that statement arrogant because it's based on record.
    Hopefully year 2007 will see the players and fans at peace with themselves and with others whom they may not like for whatever reasons only known to themselves. While I understand that fans will naturally cheer for their idols, they will learn to be like those in England i.e. to applaud when there is a good rally and not jeer and boo at their idols' opponent.

Happy New Year everyone.

7. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Yeah.. 2006 does belong to LinDan overall.. I hope Taufik can take over 2007.He is commiting for 2007.

8. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

I disagree with your disagreement and that of ye333's. For me, Yang Yang was so devastating, it was almost frustrating when you are backing anyone else to beat him. His consistency was similar to what I see in LD today. My admiration of him was similar to my admiration for Rudy (who practically 'rubbed' out Tan Aik Huang, our school mentor, who was my senior at school).

LD reminds me very much of Yang Yang : same height, same stroke plays, same left handed, and same powerful jumping smashes. Both of them have such consistency --- always winning their games.

9. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

successful but maybe not the best

Looks like the best formula for winning but probably not the best quality play. It's like MacDonalds. Probably most successful burger chain but they don't make the best burger.

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

u r misusing my analogy used in my discussion on the degree of consistency between plastic and feather shuttles. I said plastic shuttle like mcdonald burgers, very consistent. Twobeer said feather is more consistent. Since u r using this analogy on LD vs TH discussion, are u saying Taufik is more consistent than LD too?

U cannot use this analogy because McDonald hasn't won any award for their taste or quality but LD did and had won many MS titles.

11. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    IMO Lindan is more consistent than Taufik. He won more titles than Taufik in 2006. However Taufik can get better than Lindan in certain occasion. But not all occasion. And that proves Taufik is not better than Lindan. End of discussion. You cant win 100% of your matches. You win some and you lose some. Just say that Lindan lost some important matches at the wrong time.

12. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

LD's statement (I'm better than Taufik in 2006) showed reality and extremely described his good record against INA's hero TH.

Absolutely true, 2K6 is LD's own (despite he only got silver in Doha), he is very superior compare than any shuttlers including TH. Take 7 titles w/ 2 prestigious AE and WChamp plus his contribution as CHN's avant-garde to defend TC, I think it's really the hardest task for every players to do all that. And for those efforts, LD is deserve to claim he is better than his arch-rival (only 2 victories that grabbed by TH -- INAOpen and Doha Gold).

But, overall along their bdm career until 2006 -- still question for us : Who's better, LD or TH?? The individual achievements of current two bdm icons from zero to 2006:

*GP Tourneys
    TH -- 11 titles (1996-2006), details :
    - 1998 : Brunei Open
    - 1999 : Indonesia Open
    - 2000 : Indonesia/Malaysia Open
    - 2001 : Singapore Open
    - 2002 : Chinese Taipei/Indonesia Open
    - 2003 : Indonesia Open
    - 2004 : Indonesia Open
    - 2005 : Singapore Open
    - 2006 : Indonesia Open
    LD -- 16 titles (1999-2006), details :
    - 2002 : Korea Open
    - 2003 : Denmark/Hongkong/China Open
    - 2004 : Suisse/Denmark/Germany/China Open
    - 2005 : Germany/Japan/China Masters/Hongkong Open
    - 2006 : Chinese Taipei/Macau/Hongkong/Japan Open

*ALL ENGLAND Championship
    TH -- 0
    LD -- 2 (2004 ; 2006)

*Continental Championship (ABC)
    TH -- 2 (2000 ; 2004)
    LD -- 0

*WORLD Championship
    TH -- 1 (Anaheim/05)
    LD -- 1 (Madrid/06)

*ASIAN GAMES
    TH -- 2 (Busan/02 ; Doha/06)
    LD -- 0

*OLYMPIC GAMES
    TH -- 1 (Athens/04)
    LD -- 0

From above data, TH is the king of multi-sport event meanwhile LD is giant in many bdm GP tournaments. Conclusion : Nobody's perfect. Next test for both of them : Who will make twice in KL WChamp/07?

13. Joyous

Joyous Regular Member

Goodness gracious, still arguing out who is more more consistent and better. At the rate we are going, it will be till kingdom come.
    Han will agree that all tournaments are important, perhaps OG, WC, TC & AE are considered more prestigious since he tapes them all (correct me if I am wrong, Han). Otherwise, why are we watching MO, IO, JO, etc. and we even sigh when there is no telecast for the Taiwan Open 06.
    And yes, and when our idol loses, we start a thread called " Explain why XXX lost" ???

14. cooler

cooler Regular Member

i had a chat with onetoughbirdie and we believe TH do well in big tournaments because he plan and direct his resources for these tournaments like OG, WC, AG and maybe AE. It is a good career path for him because why wear out your body out trying to win them all. TH only goes for win that give him maximum fame and monetary return. TH situation is different from LD. LD is the property (a soldier) of china and earn his living from 1/2 of measly winnings from each tournaments. TH case is different, he is considered a jewel of INA and get paid by his government and other mystery sponsors. Our guess is that one win in OG or AG for TH is greater than the total of all the prizes to be earned by LD's entire career. TH can afford to play selectively, and reduce injury and can direct maximum resources to selected events. TH prepared big time for the 06 AG. To LD, the 06 AG is just another tournament with little reward other than a momentary fame. TH got 51,000 USD from one disclosement. I can assure u that TH got additional $$$ from other sources that weren't disclosed, it would make other INA players 'throw up' to put it mildly. Some have fed up and already left the country.

One can climb many mountains all his life and is an unknown but if you can climb Mount Everest, you will be famous for life even though they are many other mountains that are harder to climb than Mount Everest.

If TH play hard at every tournaments, his body won't be as prime as he was in OG or AG.

#94 cooler, Jan 3, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2007
  15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Cooler, where did you get this quote?

16. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I believe he got it from the memoirs of a former Malaysian Thomas squad member, turned doctor and Committee member of the Singapore Badminton Federation, who probably had a hand in getting Zhao Jianhua the job as coach of the Singapore Badminton Federation at one time.

17. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

Agree with what you said here. TH and LD chose different paths. However I have to say LD/LYB has chosen the wrong path. Or, to make it more precise, I think LD's path is not the best one for him, while TH's path is his best one.

A Chinese saying: you pick up a sesame, but lost a watermelon.

18. cooler

cooler Regular Member

I'm at work now and don't have the link with me. It's an excellent read on pre-1985 badminton scene and knowing who's who of the old badminton greats.

19. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

On the other hand, the AE crowd lacks the colourful atmosphere of the INA crowd. Hope they will learn from INA. Another thing: maybe AE umpires need some refresher course on the Asian anatomy.Otherwise players with presence of mind will need to walk up to the SJ and impress with a close-up view of the waist like CHN's quick thinking Cai Yun. (I believe the SJ stop intimidating CY with service fault calls after his spontaneous exhibition)

20. Joyous

Joyous Regular Member

Roger Federer won many tournaments last year but missed out on the French Open. That's okay because it's been said countless times before - 'you can't win all the time'. And I believe FO is equally prestigious.

I beg to disagree about TH and LD taking the right & wrong paths respectively. I am sure most badminton fans would like to see TH participate in more tournament apart from targetting those he deemed most important. Unless the fans don't consider AE 06 & WC 06 important/prestigious, then LD's wins must have been in vain. I

I think sometimes we badminton fans should try to put ourselves in the players's shoes and emphatize with them. Give credit when they deserve it.

I do appreciate the passion of the INA crowd & also of the other nations, but I think if this passion is channelled into hostility, then it's not good. Don't you think it's rude and uncultured to boo and jeer when other players walk into the court, serve and missed the shuttle?? BWF is trying to elevate badminton into a more international level like tennis. And one just have to observe the behaviour of the tennis spectators throughout the world to understand why tennis is deemed a widely accepted sport.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.