sup guys! n00b here!

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by g_man, Feb 17, 2005.

1. g_man

g_man Regular Member

I've played badminton several months (like mid/late 2004) ago while I was in Vancouver...got it to it so much that i've been playing with my friends almost everday while i was there. But since I came back to manila..i stopped playing and didn't take the time to start playing again til a few weeks ago and i'm hook again! haha I play Mondays, Wednesdays, & Fridays while I hit the gym Tuesdays and Thursdays..I've been using my cousin's racket (mmoa) it's not bad...good weight..not too heavy but not too light. Im thinking of investing in a nice racket for myself now since im going to be playing regularly. I have a few choices of mmoa rackets (cuz' my sis-in-law's family is the importer) and i've tested mbr-501, mbr-510, mbr-511, superlight 7000 SQ. I like the 7000's weight @ 80 grams..very light but I have to get it re-strung cuz' it has that "bouncy" feeling to it...not that solid of a hit. I like the mbr-510 weighting @ 82 grams but hits are more solid and shaft doesn't wobble upon impact with the shuttlecock.

Ever since I found this thread (looking for mmoa reviews) I've been reading the yonex reviews and Im really really tempted in getting the armortec 800 DF :eek: :eek: and since it's on sale right now...i really want to get it..but since I know im a beginner...getting the "best" racket in the market doesn't mean i'll get any better hahaha What do you guys think?

sorry for the damn essay...im really excited to get into another sport other than basketball etc.

Jay

2. bloup

bloup Regular Member

Hello Jay,

looks like the answer is enclosed in your question :) Having roughly the same background as you (8 months playing - 4 times a week, got hooked to the game) , here's what I'd say :
    choosing a racket is mostly about how it feels when playing with it (the rest often comes down to a certain degree of marketing ********), if there is one you feel comfortable with among the ones you tried, stick with it. If you can afford it, buy it a twin sister quickly, it'll be useful if your strings break or if you clash too hard when playing doubles. AT800 would be a terrible choice; ok from reading the reviews it's a dreadful weapon, but it not only requires money to hold it, it also demands very high skill, you'd only get pain from it :p
    Stringing is as important as the racket itself and far cheaper.

3. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Hi Jay,

Welcome to BadmintonForum :D As a beginner, you have the unique chance of improving you game by leaps and bound without unlearning ingrained bad habits. Try to use the rackets you have now, and spend the extra cash on getting a reputable coach to teach you the basic strokes.

I've seen intermediate coached players and they excel VERY fast, and it's a matter of gaining experience having obtained good foundations.

If the last two paragraphs bored you, then please get the Nanospeed 7000, which will impart a boost of 80% more power to your smashes, and yet yield delicate touches to your drops, making every drop a hairpin one.

Welcome to badminton! :D

-dave

4. jcl49

jcl49 Regular Member

Why stop at the Nanospeed 7000, when you can also buy the Nanospeed 8000 (with its laser guided shuttle placement technology)! :rolleyes:

5. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    On some message boards, 'noobies' would end up at the butt end of jokes and less than pleasant banter but not here on BC/BF, the jokes' are on the old timers! :)

Welcome, welcome.

6. g_man

g_man Regular Member

haha thanks for welcome guys!

I am going to invest on a coach...In any sport I go into I really get competitive no matter what, that's my personality :D so having a coach can hopefully give me an edge over the peepz i play against with haha

Decided to stick with the mmoa racket and wait til i hone and improve my skills to take fully advantage of the AT 800. It's like racing a manual car..what's the point if you don't know how to use the clutch right? :)