Sun Yu (孙瑜)

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by RedShuttle, Jun 6, 2012.

1. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
  2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

It depends on how she plays - if I may use her match with Sung Ji Hyun at the SCG Thai Open as a reference, Sun Yu was outplayed in G1 but got her game right in G2, particularly against a tall opponent who happened to be attacking and defending at a very high level in top form. That is , if Sun Yu played like she did against SJH in G2, she would stand a reasonable chance of beating Marin at the DEN Open PSS R1 clash, otherwise no.

3. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Sun Yu was the runner up at the just concluded Jeonju Victor KOREA Masters GP Gold 2015.

As a result, she have gained 5950 in world ranking points as opposed to 7000 if she had won, which is about 1000 points in difference.

At the China Open 2015, looking at the draw, it seems Sun Yu has a tough draw. Round 1 is against Saina, and even if Sun Yu wins, she will have to face Ratchanok at Quarter-final.

But no need to worry, the 6050 points she gained at China Open last year (which will lapse very soon) can now be replaced by the 5950 points she got at Jeonju. (Had she won at Jeonju, she would have gained 7000 points instead.)

So the upshot is, even if Sun Yu does not do well in China Open 2015, her ranking points will stay almost the same!!!

Zhang Ning seems to want Sun Yu's ranking points to stay flat for a while.

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Anyway, Sun Yu has done herself a disservice by not winning the match/title that I thought she should have (I am taking anything away from Sayaka Sato's victory but that's beside the point). She got to believe on herself and play with more confidence by capitalizing on her strengths, be positive and more proactive. In that match with Sayaka Sato, she mishandled the crucial points.

In the upcoming Thaihot China Open, I believe Sun Yu has the game to beat the now uncertain Saina in R1 and the fitness-suspect Intanon in the QFs for a semifinal appearance, provided she seizes the opportunities bravely and play more aggressively. Go for it, Sun Yu! JiaYou !

(If it's beyond you then my urging you on is mere empty words of encouragement, just paying lip service, but I really believe you can do it).

5. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
  6. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    QF - 2015 All England - Sun Yu vs Ratchanok Intanon

[video=youtube;aI7pKxojLRc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aI7pKxojLRc[/video]

#166 pcll99, Feb 15, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  7. azjmsxhn

azjmsxhn New Member

Sun yu is weak despite standing at 6`. I don`t see her becoming china`s top tier players in the coming future.

8. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Sun Yu is moving up to No. 10 tomorrow.

sunyu.png

It seems she will stay at No. 10 for a while.

Interesting that she didn't enter German Open but is in All England....

#168 pcll99, Feb 24, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  9. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Sun Yu in Swiss Open 2016

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#169 pcll99, Mar 20, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
    kwun likes this.
  10. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Hey pcll99,

Do you like Sun Yu? I think you would love to see her in China's volleyball team.

kwun likes this.
  11. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    haha... yeah, is it that obvious?:oops:

reminds me of Zhang Ning

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#171 pcll99, Mar 20, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  12. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Sun Yu defeated SJH in Singapore!!

13. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
  14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

In R1 of the BCA INA PSS'16, I saw a different Sun Yu in her match with Intanon Ratchanok. Sun Yu surprised me playing with such vigour, so proactive, often seizing the initiative to attack with ferocity and defending with equal tenacity in a manner I've not see before in her game. She appeared to have learnt how to better capitalize on her physicality, height and reach.

In the latter half of G2, she relented, slackened a bit and fell back to lifting predictably, an old habit of hers, which allowed Intanon to go on the attack fiercely and closed the gap to just one point after trailing as much as 8-16 at one stage. Luckily, in the final lap towards the finishing line, she reasserted herself just in time to wrap it up 21-18 for a straight-set victory after taking G1, 21-15, decisively and in style.

Though I'm quite impressed by Sun Yu's masterful offensive game, literally outgunning Intanon who is herself a superb attacker, I'm still not quite convinced yet. In other words, too early to say whether it's a one-off phenomenon of Sun Yu playing inspired badminton or she has actually raised her game another level with excellent attack and defence. If she can do it more consistently from now on and with results to show, then yes, otherwise, no. But, admittedly, the unmistakable signs are there of what she is capable of ,her full potential just waiting to be tapped. Time will tell.

15. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    the future of badminton...

Sun Yu vs Chen Yufei.. in China Master semi final..

16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I feel that Sun Yu deserves to be congratulated too for her exploits at the Yonex Japan Open SS'16 though she lost the final to her compatriot He Bingjiao.

I reviewed all her videos that are available of her matches there, viz, with Sayaka Takahashi, Akane Yamaguchi , and finally He Bingjiao. Incidentally, she met all four Japanese opponents en route to the final, defeating all of them in two convincing straight sets before succumbing to her fellow teammate He Bingjiao in the final in a well-fought three-setter, 24-21, 21-7, and 18-21.

What I realized upon watching the three replays again was that Sun Yu has acquired the confidence and taste to bring the shuttle down hard and steep with her height and build to extraordinary effect as to make it her killer weapon. That and her improved defense, which, however, I still think has room for improvement, have raised her game another level, I believe.

Hopefully, we should see Sun Yu assume the mantle together with He Bingjiao toward the restoration and rejuvenation of CHN WS return to former glory, the sooner the better.

#176 Justin L, Sep 25, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  17. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Saw only a little of the Japan Open but agree with Justin L that she is getting better with defense and with perseverance.
    She is physically and technically impressive. And with more wins under her belt, her mindset will be even stronger.
    Lots to like in this talented player. Just wish her face would crack into a smile once in a while to show that she is enjoying herself.:)

18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Quite true, I don't remember ever seeing her broke into a smile even when the game went in her favour, such as winning a lucky point; she often appeared tense, anxious, or nervous, never relaxed or self-possessed. Apart from the normal celebratory gestures of letting out a yell accompanied by fist-pump, commonplace to all players, she is hardly what we would call cool.calm, and collected.

When a smile seems so hard to come by from her, grinning is far-fetched. Fortunately, as far as her badminton is concerned, she's getting there.

19. boon_keng

boon_keng Regular Member

Sun Yu's oncourt performance reminds me of a (potential) female version of Great Wall of China (Chen Long)........she has the height and agility for good enough court coverage......long wingspan......just need more experience and more repetoire of strokeplays.......i think if her mind is motivated, she's a better prospect than HBJ.

20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

An interesting viewpoint. Better prospects than He Bingjiao ? Hard to say, but for sure their rivalry will intensify down the road.