Sukamuljo bluffing the swing and got called on...no way fair...

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by uwewong, Mar 17, 2018.

1. uwewong

uwewong Regular Member

if any of you guys watched the game today between the indonesians and the danes, you should know that kevin sukamuljo did this bluffing swing on a shot that has gone PAST him and out... Then he got called on for touching the shuttlecock.... he was no where near it and the umpire knows it too but called on it for what? too cocky? what do you guys say of this? equivalent to taking the shirt off after scoring a goal in football? its a new etiquette thing or what? new rule saying players are not allowed to play/joke around? or we also need video referee?

but honestly kevin does a lot of smiling and joking around with the opponent in a cocky way that i don't find it too disrespecting in comparison with boe...

Suilven likes this.
  2. phihag

phihag Regular Member

Can you link to the position in a video, or at least mention the score when that happened?

Chances are the umpire truly thought he touched the shuttlecock.

Fake swings are not forbidden in any way. No umpire will have the slightest problem with fake swings. But if you clown around near the shuttle, you may touch it inadvertently. Even if you just miss it, umpires are human and may perceive the shuttle to be touched.

If a player would get faulted for bad sportsmanship, the announcements would make that crystal-clear, and a red card would be shown.

3. uwewong

uwewong Regular Member

it was a scandal...

second set 4-3

4. uwewong

uwewong Regular Member

but kevin does this all the time people are getting annoyed by it...but the umpire can't punish him like that...

5. phihag

phihag Regular Member

After further research, it looks like you refer to 25:58 here:

To me this looks like an obviously incorrect call by the umpire. He doesn't have the best view, maybe he heard something. In any case, per Hanlon's razor, I see absolutely no reason to assume anything but an honest mistake by the umpire.

In any case, per §17.6.8 of the laws, the referee can only be called in questions of the law, which this is not.
    The service judge can speak up in these cases (ITTO §6.3), and should have. So yes, a wrong call was made, and I'm sure umpire and service judge will discuss this to ensure it does not happen again. But there is absolutely no sign of the maliciousness you allege.

drmchsraj likes this.
  6. uwewong

uwewong Regular Member

it better be a mistake...

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    looks like a wrong call. but honestly, Kevin created the opportunity for that call. if he hadn't fake swing, there is not a chance of the bad call.

s_mair, visor, Fidget and 1 other person like this.
  8. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

"You play with fire, you get burned".

This was an incorrect call, no doubt about it. And one would hope that it wasn't the umpire trying to make a point.
    But the point may have been taken by Sukamuljo, anyhow.

To his credit, Sukamuljo took it with a smile, and carried on to play a great game.

Cheung, visor and kwun like this.
  9. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

No wonder he can only smile about that. Come on, that were at least two meters. Such a bad call.

Slade and demolidor like this.
  10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    It was a bad call, but if he had not swung at the shuttle, then there would have been absolutely no room for misinterpretation.

11. Desireless

Desireless Regular Member

Yet another reason to ask why badminton umpires don't have access to the video replay when calls are contested...

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

If they do, matches will be prolonged to American football levels .. Yawn.. Yawn.

s_mair, visor, Fidget and 1 other person like this.
  13. Desireless

Most challenges are line calls.

Controversies like this one happen maybe once or twice a match. Reviewing a replay would probably take what...15-20 seconds of an umpire’s time? Compared to having a player protest to the umpire...walk around the court for a while...talk to their coach...demand to speak to the tournament referee...wait for the tournament referee to show up...have more discussions which amount to nothing being done...and finally resuming play.

The replays are ready within seconds and already made available to the commentators, the livestreams and the videotrons in the venues. Why should the umpire be the least informed person out of all parties?

Slade likes this.
  14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I think you make a good point .

Given your description of the manpower resources (tournament organisers don't control the TV) some separate process with extra workload would need to be formalised with the tournament organisers...... Or Kevin could stop messing around.

15. boon_keng

boon_keng Regular Member

I'm waiting for goh v shem or issara plays him...... Let's see if sanjaya continues his antics....... bwf needs physicality occasionally....

visor likes this.
  16. Desireless

I honestly think it would be worth the extra effort. Umpires have limited angles of view and their line of sight to the shuttle is often obstructed by players. Replays have zoom cameras from multiple angles, as well as slow motion frame by frame.

It’s not just Kevin either...I can recall a particular point in the Olympic WD gold medal final where one of the Danes double hit the shuttle but the umpire didn’t catch it and called it good. Matsumoto protested for around 5 minutes as I recall...and didn’t get anywhere, even though the replay clearly showed the double hit within half a minute or so. Can you imagine if JPN had lost g3 because of that point?

17. uwewong

uwewong Regular Member

life is not fair and i REALLY REALLY liked the fact that nothing can get these pro athletes. kevin yes indeed took it with a smile and carried on. i should learn from this. happens at work, at school and in life. umpire trying to make a point or not to kevin for his cockiness is way out of his control and all kevin could do was continue playing. seriously if this would have happened in my club games with me, i wouldn't be able to finish it. i think the mental game is also something that separates the pros and the amateurs big time!

and how about this style of play from kevin? the smirk on his face or the little cheeky smile at the opponent after him winning a rally that gill doesn't believe in (she doesn't believe anything btw). bad sportsmanship? allowed on court? i honestly think its absolutely fine, its just a mental game the opponent has to deal with.

Fidget likes this.
  18. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    nope. 1.15 meters. heh heh...

#18 samkool, Mar 18, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    Slade, Rob3rt and Fidget like this.
  19. uwewong

uwewong Regular Member

i mean fun to watch sometimes to see how pros deal with these mental games from the opponent. or else it would be like yamaguchi...looks like she has no feelings when winning the most important points from yesterday especially her 10th point from the 3rd game.

20. uwewong

uwewong Regular Member

it was not 2 meters, probaly 1, but it was like WAY past him...