Sudirman Cup Predictions

Discussion in 'Sudirman Cup 2007' started by madbad, May 22, 2007.

1. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Let's start the ball rolling with my early predictions (assuming all matches are played):

Group 1

SF1: CHN over INA 4-1. All conquering China will roll on convincingly, with possibly Taufik managing to steal a point for INA. The Chinese women and XD will ensure there is no upset.
    SF2: MAS over KOR 4-1. Surprisingly, KOR wins their group but don't match up well with MAS. I can see the Koreans taking the XD. Anything else will be a bonus. One thing that could upset the balance is the Malaysians' mental fragility when the pressure is on.
    FINAL: CHN over MAS 4-1. Everything points to a CHN victory. MAS may gain a point from the MD, and unless LCW and WMC play out of their skins, they won't gain another point. There again, MAS will be under no pressure, but that's a looooooong shot. CHN champions.
    DEMOTED to group 2: Hong Kong

Group 2

SF1: SIN over POL 3-2. The surprise package of the group, Poland, push Singapore to the limit but succumb due to their lack of depth.
    SF2: JAP over TPE 4-1. The Japanese men will be the difference, securing enough points to put the team comfortably through.
    FINAL: JAP over SIN 3-2. A close fight is on the cards but JAP should have enough to hold off SIN. Right now, SIN has the quantity but not quite the quality. JAP to take the MD, WS and WD. JAP promoted to group 1.
    DEMOTED to group 3: Sweden

Group 3

SF1: NZ over FRA 3-2. After winning a very weak group, France are exposed by the gritty Kiwis. Led by John Moody, the New Zealanders will themselves to this famous victory. There is only so much PHY can do for her adopted country.
    SF2: IND over CAN 5-0. Again, Canada qualify from a pathetically weak group but come up empty against talented India. Nothing much else to say.
    FINAL: IND over NZ 4-1. It'll become quite clear who the best team in this group is. I'm giving NZ one win for sheer guts and effort. IND promoted to group 2.
    DEMOTED to group 4: Finland

2. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

I would have to disagree on the CHINA vs Malaysia Final prediction. I think it will be 3-2, either way. I predict LCW and KKK-TBH winning, and probably WMC to surprise, and that is why the 3-2. It will be a narrow win for either. Not 4-1 !

3. madbad

madbad Regular Member

That's why I said if LCW and WMC played the games of their lives, that was a possibility. There is no doubt that could happen, as much as FHF/CY beating KKK/TBH. However my head says the odds are with China winning 4-1. Besides, I think that MAS making the final itself is a tremendous achievement for a team that got promoted the last time.

4. Linus

Linus Regular Member

Manager
    Whilst I agree China will top Group 1A, I donot think the runner-up spot is stright forward. I think England may give Malaysia a good run for the money. You see MAL vs ENG, MAL is only sure of the MS and MD, whilst ENG can bank on the XD. The WS and WD are not conclusively in favour of MAL especially ENG has "half" homeground advantage.

Group 1B is more stright forward with Indonesia and Korea going thru. INA will bank on MS, MD and XD, whilst Korea will depend on theirs MD, WD and XD to win them matches.

But whatever happen at Group stages, I think we all agree that China is just too strong all-round in the Sudirman Cup team format to win them the trophy. The only reservation is whether China will field its strongest line up across all disciplines, at this moment, no evidence suggests otherwise.

5. tommy_bun

tommy_bun Regular Member

Chi-Mas
    MS
    China will win over malaysia
    WS
    China wins
    MD
    50-50
    WD
    China
    XD
    China
    So the winner must be China for sure

Mas-Eng
    MS-- belong to mas
    WS-- 50-50
    MD-- Mas
    WD-- 50-50
    XD-- Eng

6. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Against the stronger nations (INA, DEN, KOR, MAS), they'll definitely need their strongest MS (LD), MD (FHF/CY) and WS (XXF, ZN) players as the level below them are all beatable (and have been beaten consistently). For WD and XD, they'll have few problems. I'd be more than happy to see someone push them to the limit and, dare I say, beat them.

7. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    I think China will be in final, either INA or Korea will be the opponents...I do not see MAS vs China yet..as Mas is only strong or can secure MD, the rests are not at all..especially XD,WD and MS

8. hcpoirot

hcpoirot Regular Member

Somehow I don't think MD will even be played in Final. China will win 3-0 in final if they meet Malaysia.

XD 1 -0

MS 1- 0

then WS 1-0

There will be no MD.

Meanwhile Indonesia had a chance to play MD if Taufik can win against LD.

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    if i understand correctly, to predict CHN vs. INA semi finals means that INA will have to lose to KOR in the group matches. unless INA give away the matches, it maybe difficult for KOR to win.

10. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    If this goes well...

INA and Korea tops the group vs China and Mas on other side..so China vs Korea and Mas vs INA then I have to say china vs INA in final.

or China vs INA and Mas vs Korea...then China vs Korea in final...

I do see that denmark has a chance to get more points against Korea then INA...anyway...will be interesting to see next month...anyway..it is all predictions after all....:D:D

11. madbad

madbad Regular Member

That's correct. I think KOR can beat INA in MD, WS and either edge WD or XD. KOR to win their group and face MAS (2nd in their group) in the SF.

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i think the results will be the follow for Group 1A and Group 1B:

Group 1A

1. China - China always play full out on all group matches. Malaysia will be the only team capable of taking any points from them.
    2. Malaysia - Malaysia will go into SF
    3. Thailand
    4. England

China vs. Thailand 5-0
    China vs. England 5-0
    China vs. Malaysia 4-1 - losing a point in MD

Malaysia vs. Thailand 4-1 - losing a point in XD
    Malaysia vs. England 4-1 - losing a point in XD

Thailand vs. England - ???

Group 1B

1. Indonesia - strong in MS/MD/XD
    2. Denmark - don't underestimate Denmark as they have strong MS / MD / XD and decent WS / WD
    3. Korea
    4. Hong Kong - bad draw but they should get points in WS.

Denmark vs. Indonesia - 2-3 WS/MD - MS/WD/XD
    Denmark vs. Korea - 3-2 - MS/MD/XD - WS/WD
    Denmark vs. Hong Kong - 4-1

Indonesia vs. Korea - 3-2 MS/MD/XD - WS/WD
    Indonesia vs. Hong Kong - 4-1

Korea vs. Hong Kong - 4-1

i predict a really close fight between Denmark, Indonesia and Korea. as you can see, i think all matches between them will end up 3-2.

13. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

I'm just waiting..

..and looking forward to the badminton fantasy game again, which they had last yr for a couple of the tourneys:p...Now, where is that game??..Will they have another one??..:confused::rolleyes::D:cool:

...Overall, i'm sure most if not all of us believe CHN will carry the Sudirman Cup home again..And all of the above posts, predictions, projections are very interesting...In the end, MAS, INA, KOR, DEN, imo, will battle it out to play in the Semis and have the right to meet CHN, in the Final..:cool:

#13 ctjcad, May 23, 2007
    Last edited: May 23, 2007
  14. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

i can see the danes beating the koreans in MS and MD, but not the rest. so i think INA will top the group, facing MAS in the semis and CHN will face DEN in the other semi.

CHN vs DEN, easy win for the chinese.
    MAS vs INA, well well well, we're in for a good match here ...

15. Linus

Linus Regular Member

Manager
    The Surdirman Tournament rule does not state that the order of play has to be in that way, i.e. XD, MS, WS, MD and WD. The order of play can be changed as I understand the rule, especially if a team has player who plays in more than 1 discipline.

The relevant rule as follows:

16. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Yup, that's true. That's why I thought I'd make my predictions based on all games played.

17. pramilainc

pramilainc Regular Member

ACGT
    I doubt MAS-KOR will end up 4-1. I know LHI is no more, but PSH have improved by leaps and bounds and will be an even game against (still off colour) LCW. Don't count out KOR MD, they have beaten KKK/TBH before, and XD and WD is a class above MAS. Chances are we'll see 3-2 victory to KOR.

18. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    I doubt KOR will make it to semis, INA hold MS, MD and XD advantage, whereas KOR is only superior in WS. WD is about even (Vita/Greysia are pretty tough).

Against DEN, KOR has a better chance, but still has advantage in WD only. XD and WS is about even (now that Tine Rasmussen is back). MS is DEN for sure, MD is quite close but DEN has a bit of advantage with so many capable pairs, KOR only has Jung/Lee.

19. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    As for the other group, CHN tops the group for sure.

The 2nd slot is a face off between MAS, ENG and THA, in that order. Now that ENG badminton has better support ever since they produced world champs, a MAS victory is not guaranteed. MAS cannot afford to throw away any matches, even the XD although chances of success are less than the other disciplines.

I remember previous mixed team events, where it was not necessarily the women that contributed to MAS loss. There was a time when the MD pair failed after the women contributed a point, resulting in MAS going down to ENG 2-3.

20. tommy_bun

tommy_bun Regular Member

Korea-Ina.

MS--Ina will win
    WS--Korea will win as they have Hwang HY/Seo YH
    MD--Maybe Lee/Jung will beat Kido/Hendra as they did in Korea SS
    WD--I dont see upset here.Lee/Lee will beat polii/Vita
    XD--Maybe Ina's XD has advantage.
    actually it's quite hard to predict who will win.But I guess Korea will take it 3-2.