Sudirman Cup - 2nd group

Discussion in 'Sudirman Cup 2003' started by Zax, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Zax

Zax Regular Member

badminton promotor :)
    Just wondering, who do you consider favorite for promotion in the second group of the Sudirman Cup?

Poule 2a
    Sweden - Germany - Malaysia - Hong Kong
    Poule 2b
    Japan - Netherlands - Taiwan - Ukrain

2. edwin

edwin Regular Member

Computer Programmer
    I say Netherlands is the favourite, eventhough it will receive very tough competition from HK and Japan.

I don't think Malaysia will be a favourtie because if HK uses Wang/Njoto for mixed, either Wang/Koon or Wang/Ling for doubles, and Ling for singles, Malaysia would not be able to beat HK despite its extremely strong MS and MD.

As for another strong contender, Germany, I too won't think it is considered as a favourite. It has many strong players, but Agus should have an edge over Joppien, while Liu/Njoto will be favoured over HOPP/TESCHE. Assuming that Xu Huaiwen doesn't play for Germany in the Surdiman Cup, either Wang Chen or Ling would favour over other German players in WS.

Let's now examine the Japan versus Netherlands matchup. Japan has a stronger MS and MD, while Netherlands has an edge in WS and a strong edge in XD. It all comes down to the WD. Mia Audina and Lotte Jonathans should have a close match with Yamamoto/Yamada, but I think Audina/Jonathans should win.

If Netherlands faces HK in the Group 2 finals, Netherlands has a much stronger WD and XD team, while HK has a stronger MS and MD team. It will come down to Wang Chen vs Mia Audina in WS to decide who will be promoted to Group 1. Audina has beaten Wang in the Uber Cup, and my feeling is that she will beat her again if they face each other in the Sudirman Cup.

3. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    Taiwan is sucking big time -.-" so no competition there...

4. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    I think Hong Kong is the favor based on the balance on both male and female. Netherland is only strong in females. Wang Chen can handle Mia Audina.

5. Zax

Zax Regular Member

I agree with Edwin's analysis that
    the Netherlands is likely to face Malaysia or Hong Kong in the final match.

It will all depend on Wang Chen vs. Audina then, as Qidong and Edwin said.
    But Dicky Palyama is playing quite well lately for Holland in the men singles, can he surprise the player of Hong Kong? Who will Hong Kong select to play men singles?

Regards,

- Mark.

:cool:

6. edwin

edwin Regular Member

Computer Programmer
    HK should use Agus Haryanto for Men's Singles. I've completely forgotton how well Dicky Palyama has been playing, so he has a good chance of upsetting Agus.

BTW, it's not true that Netherlands only has a strong women's team. Its Mixed team of Chris Brueil and Lotte Jonathans should be able to beat every single mixed doubles pair in group 2.

7. Zax

Zax Regular Member

Palyama did well in the All England, winning from Taufik, but losing in the next round (forgot from whom). He also won from Lee Tsuen Seng in Swiss Open if I am correct, before losing to Lee Hyun Il.

He is a constant subtop-player, but it looks like at times he can surprise the top players. The men doubles would then be the only 'weak spot' of the Netherlands.