Strongest Danish line up in TC?

Discussion in 'Thomas/Uber Cups 2004' started by Cheung, May 17, 2004.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Was this year the strongest Danish team lineup?

I just wonder back to 1998 HK and 2000 in M'sia. The team may have even been stronger then on paper.

2. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

-

I remember the strongest Denmark team was 1996

with PEHL,Thomas Stuer Lauridsen, Peter Rasmussen,

Gade etc. They were expected to beat Ina but ;ost in final.

Also in Tcp Ina never entered final in 1988 and 1990 as they were between China and Malaysia.

3. double

double Regular Member

I don't think the danish team in 1996 was strongest, Thomas Stuer Lauridsen was just recovered from the injury and not in form, Peter Rasmussen was up and coming but still not in his peak, the same to Gade that year.

Also the double pairs that year was not complete as Thomas Lund was injured and can't play the match.

The strongest team on paper should be this year and it's the best chance for the dane.....the second double should be responsible for the failure.

4. klaphat

klaphat Regular Member

Definetely this year the Danish team was very strong in the doubles.. where the team in recent year has had it's weakness..

But still it seems quite impossible to compare the two teams.. unless of course somebody can fix a time-machine and we can let them play eachother.. Imagine "Old Peter" playing against "Young Peter"... That could be fun..

5. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

And Kenneth, he was closer to winning than Jens and Martin

6. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

-

You wouldnt blame him, he played above himself and

was simply too exhausted in the closing stages.

The 2nd doubles were simply outplayed, nervous or too slow.

Even in 1st doubles it could have gone either way in set1.

7. double

double Regular Member

He had done his best and perform above his standard, Bao could beat him in two straight sets on other occasion. But not for Jens/Martin.

8. Morten

Morten Regular Member

Again you're underdestimating Jonassen. He played his best just like Bao did. They are more even than a lot of you think and I won't be surprised if Jonassen beats one of the chinese shuttlers at the olympics. Remember how close he was against a brilliant Xia in WC 03.

9. sunzhi

sunzhi Regular Member

I agree this year Denmark Thomas Cup team is probably the strongest there hd been... They have always been strong in singles, but this year, they are even more impressive in doubles (why not with reigning world champ and AE champ).. its so unfortunate they lost and i believe, it will take many years to come before they could assemble another team this strong..

what impress me most is the individual fighting spirit (best shown by Kenneth Jonassen against both Taufik and Bao CL) which many said the danes lack off when it comes to team event.. honestly, there's no shame in losing (to a better team?)... kudos...

10. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Agreed. Defensive and endurance based players past and present are often underestimated. Besides Jonassen, we have Roslin, Lee Hyun Ill, Shon Seung Mo, Foo Kok Keong, Ardy Wiranata, Xiong Guobao, etc in this category. Maybe because they play unspectacular badminton (except in defense).

They were never will be as highly regarded as Gade, Frost, Hoyer-Larsen, Lin Dan, Wong Choon Han, Taufik, Swie King, Zhao Jianhua, Yang Yang etc.

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    my thinking is that 1998 team Denmark was even stronger with their singles lineup. The doubles then were not as strong as now but still very decent.