Strings break at the knot

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by AdamS, Jan 28, 2012.

1. AdamS

AdamS Regular Member

I have justed started strining however all the raquets I have strung have broken soon after at the top knot that ties off the crosses, although it isn't the knot that breaks it is the string underneathe it, the up and down string. I first thought that it might be becuase I used the spike tool to wedge in the string to not loose tension when tieing off however when I stopped that they still broke, I then thought it might be because I pull the string too tight (as I used the tensioner to pull it), although the last raquet I did, I didn't use any equipment and I pulled the string just enough and the strings broke at the knot soon after. I'm not sure of the name of the knot I make, it is basically a loop around the string then I pull the string through and I make two of those.

I would appreciate any advice as at the moment I am stuck and I don't want to string another raquet just for it to break at the knot as it wastes string and my time.

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    what type of knot do you do?

when you tighten the knot, do u do that back-and-forth motion to tighten the knot? that can potentially damage the top coating of the string underneath.

any string in particular?

3. AdamS

AdamS Regular Member

I'm not sure what the name of the knot it. 003401.jpg The image is the knot I have used, I repeated it so there are two knots. When I did string the last raquet I didn't go back and forth to try and not pull too tight.

The string I have used is BG-65, I got it cheaply from a seller on Ebay, although I am sure they are legit strings as the packaging looks the same and it has the shine image thing on it.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    interesting. was it the same racket? as the same spot? check the grommet around that area.

bg65 is indestructable in general. do you have a link to that ebay seller? 95% of all the rackets in ebay are fake, and it will make the strings very suspectable too.

5. AdamS

AdamS Regular Member

6. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    eBay sellers have gotten quite good at imitating the original strings. Sometimes you actually have to compare the package or the string itself with the original version to notice the differences. The main things that differ are the package size, the color (yellow) on it, the logo, the text in the back, the tight wrap size and the printing on the string.

However, I have found fake strings to be decently durable at low tensions (up to 22lbs), but they are much harder to string with (some shared grommets have taken me over 30 minutes to work through, using a million different techniques).

So in the case that the strings are fake, maybe the tension is the problem. What tension are you stringing at ?

7. Jonster

Jonster Regular Member

University Student
    20 Packs for approximately 12 Euros? That yells fake. A pack of BG65 is like $5-6 US which is about 8-9.6 Euros.

I'm looking at a pack of my SP coded BG65 string right now and the bottom-left corner with the "SP" identification is a white rectangle with white text, not a black rectangle with black text. I bought my packs for about $5 (US/CAD) each.

Your packs are probably fake, if it's too good to be true, it sure as heck usually is.

8. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    This is the reseller I have bought the fake strings from. They are indeed fake. I might post the difference with the original strings if I have some time.

Interesting fact: I have bought these knowing they were fake to compare the playability with the real ones. However, since the seller does not mention that they are fake strings, I sent them proof that it was fake and they offered to refund me half of the price. I then posted a neutral comments saying that the strings weren't so bad considering that they were fake, and the seller offered me to refund me the rest of the package if I removed my comment, which I did :p

#8 yan.v, Jan 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yeah. at around US$2 / pack BG65 they are definitely fake. the wholesale price for such strings is in the region of US$3.5 in Hong Kong. so to get them for $2, they are definitely fake ones.

and when they are fake, there will be no guarantee on performance and durability whatsoever...

FYI. i bought real BG65 recently in HK, they are around US$4.

10. dunmaster

dunmaster Regular Member

I was given some fake BG-65 and NBG-95 to string before from a couple of players. the fake ones are much thinner in diameter, and surface is very rough. Even though the package looks not too different, they are different when put side by side with genuine ones.

anyway, you can't expect much from fake strings.

11. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

O/P, try the Parnell knot (the outside of the frame is on the left of the picture).

Attached Files:

• 34.gif
      34.gif
      File size:
      50.2 KB
      Views:
  12. AdamS

AdamS Regular Member

Thanks for all the advice! I have orderder some more string from a sports website, hopefully these won't break! I will reply with the results :)

13. phili

phili Regular Member

Not quite, more like 3-4.5€ but still seems very cheap