Stringing team

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by bismantaka, Oct 19, 2022.

1. bismantaka

bismantaka New Member

Hi masters..
    I have a question about this video..
    Stringers do all preweave in tournament.
    Is this okay?

Thank u all

Sent from my CPH2217 using Tapatalk

2. Alex82

Alex82 Regular Member

Linux-Sysadmin
    Short: No, it is not okay. You can see how the string is twisting... Horrible. Also for the durability.

3. bismantaka

bismantaka New Member

Yeah,but i wonder why Yonex hire them..

Sent from my CPH2217 using Tapatalk

4. Alex82

Alex82 Regular Member

Linux-Sysadmin
    Maybe because this is the Yonex-Sunrise Stringing Team and not the Yonex Stringing Team?

speCulatius likes this.
  5. kakanggata

kakanggata New Member

Can anyone explaining why preweaving is bad? I'm from Philippines, been playing badminton competitively for more than 20 years, and I've never seen anyone not preweave the strings onto the frame before putting it into the machine!

6. Alex82

Alex82 Regular Member

Linux-Sysadmin
    I explained it in a previous post. The string is twisting (some more and some less) which affects the durability.
    Additional: normally you only pull the crosses over the mains. With preweaving you pull also the mains over the crosses. Can also affect the durability.

7. kakanggata

kakanggata New Member

Thank you for your reply. When you say it can affect durability, are you referring to the durability of the racket or just the string? Also, does preweaving also affect the consistency of the tension put into the string? Meaning, if you wanted your racket strung to 28lbs, if you do preweaving, it goes beyond or under 28lbs when you're done stringing? Thanks again!

8. Alex82

Alex82 Regular Member

Linux-Sysadmin
    Durability of string and grommets.
    Don't know if it also affects the tension.

9. mysteryman592

mysteryman592 Regular Member

IT
    I don't preweave, takes more time, high chances or making a mistake, wastes more string, and same as what Alex82 says about the twisting affecting the durability.
    If you have ever preweave or had string twist, you can see it kinda messes with the string. Twisting with BG80 you can hear the sounds it makes when its twisting, sounds like the string was going to snap.

yenyesoh likes this.
  10. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

If you technically think about it, it takes more time to preweave a racket. If you have people who cannot string on your team, and you want to make them work or do something, preweaving at a tournament I guess is a way too get the best productivity out of your team. If you have a team with less people who can maximize their productivity, you will see them stringing as they go. I will watch the video later but say it takes someone maybe 7 minutes to preweave, then the stringer can do that racket in 10-12 minutes, if they are professional tournament stringers their regular time might be 16-18 minutes a racket. Sometimes when you are tired you might miss a mistake, the stringer starts the racket and at the top he notices a misweave, almost finished he just wasted his time stringing a racket. Now you have 2 people to blame for wasting time on a racket, the preweaver and the stringer for not catching the mistake. And the person preweaving is probably getting paid, so if you cut that person out, you waste less money and a professional stringer can do his job knowing if he makes a mistake it is solely on him. If you have a whole racket preweaved , I also aggree it is difficult to get rid of the twisting of string, and if you twist it too much, yes it can snap, it has happened to me in my younger days of stringing. I feel most professional stringers want their work to be represented, having someone preweave and then handed to a stringer does not show the quality of a stringer, only that you can crank out a **** load of rackets. A professional team cranks out a **** load of rackets with quality stringing. US Open, All Englands, World Championships, Olympics, each stringer usually did their own racket, if there as any pre stringing it was usually only the mains the first 6 left and 6 right, preweaving was never done.

11. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

Watching the video, usually professional tournament stringers dont pull straight across the mains. You can see when there is slack in the string you can see the string memory has been damaged, it is bent, curling, almost like a bit of a prestretch taking out a bit of the elasticity, I guess maybe good for professional players looking for more control since they are stringing at higher tensions, but for a regular club player you would be taking the power out of the string. lastly if you see how much they have left over when they finish, since they don't pay for the string, I guess I wouldn't care either if I get 18 ot 20 string jobs out off a reel, but as a poor home stringer I want to get the most out of my reels.

bismantaka, Gupvis and Cheung like this.
  12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Players might bring ten racquets with them to tournaments and they have easy access to a stringer. Longevity of the string is not such a big concern.

If I felt my racquets had a drop in tension away from optimum, I would cut the strings and hand them to the tournament stringers for a fresh restring.

kakinami likes this.
  13. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

One time I saw inside Taufik's bag, he had about 10 rackets and another 10 brand new rackets on the stringers table.

Sent from my SC-01L using Tapatalk

Cheung likes this.
  14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    IIRC he used BG66. Thin gauge breaks even more quickly.

yenyesoh likes this.