Stringbed frequency to monitor string tension

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by visor, Feb 27, 2013.

1. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I wouldn't take a stringster result too serious. Had also results which were 1 kg higher after I strung them. Additional it also depends how a stringer treat your request of 27lbs.

I would hand out a 26x27lbs job. A different stringer can also hand out a 25x27, 26.5x27.5, 27x27, 26x28, 27x28, 27x29 and so on. And all of them would be correct based on their individual explaination for that.

swsh, boby and llrr like this.
  2. boby

boby Regular Member

And just snap on 1st half game due to miss hit. This is my 1st experiences, so satisfying.

3. Brunoille

Brunoille Regular Member

Hi to all experts!
    I'm pretty new to stringing and after having calibrated my new S70, I'm puzzled since I measured frequencies that seem a bit too high to me. The parameters are:
    • Victor 1 piece pattern (Haribito style),
    • RKEP 70 TI (as a good BC newbie stringer) @ 10.5 kg,
    • 72 holes racket (Artengo) => 22x23 (mains x crosses)
    • Fundamental frequency: 1141 Hz.
    I spent long time on playing with a digital scale to be sure of the repetability of the tension whatever the position of the gripper (I'm an engineer ;)). However, when I had my rackets stringed previously, the typical frequency was around 1040-1050 Hz at 10.5 or 11 kg with BG65 or VS-790.

Any opinion? Does my previous stringer overestimate his tension? Do I overestimate mine?

4. BadBadmintonPlayer

BadBadmintonPlayer Regular Member

Your string already loses 0.5kg in the first 24 hours. Did you measure after stringing at the same time? I don't know the RKEP 70 Ti, but the BG65 is a very soft string and accordingly the Hz-number is different at the same tension.

5. Brunoille

Brunoille Regular Member

You're right: I didn't measure my stringer's job right after the stringing, but after few days. My previous stringing job with 70 Ti lost approx 20 Hz in 12 h, and 50 Hz in few days (which corresponds to a loss of approx. 0.5 kg). However I measure one of my BG-65 job, and the decrease in tension (and in Hz) was quite similar.

6. Terraglow

Terraglow Regular Member

Students
    Strung my mizuno JPX 8 Power with toalson premium devil 66 @27x29 lbs. Ping at 1366 Hz freshly strung :eek::eek:

7. Asmo

Asmo Regular Member

So I got a racket strung by the local small town stringer for the first time. A 60 year old guy that has been playing and probably stringing for decades. He only had BG65ti so I provided my own Li-ning no1. When I said I wanted 11kg he was surprised and asked if I really wanted that high tension and if the racket could take it, he usually did 9,5kg. I showed him my Aeronaut 9000 was rated for 32lbs (14,5kg) and said that I had it strung now at 11,5kg. So he agreed to 11kg.

I got the racket today and checked it with stringster and carltune. Stringster seemed fairly accurate before when I measured the last stringjob with the same racket and string. 11,5kg ordered then showed up as 10,8kg after 4 days and measured consistently.

Anyway the results. Li-ning no1 on an Aeronaut 9000 ordered at 11kg:
    Stringster 7,7kg. Measured 5 times all of them exactly the same.
    Carltune frequency around 990Hz.

So 7,7kg seemed unbelievably low but 990Hz on carltune does indicate that maybe if not quite that bad nowhere near 11kg at least, right? I haven't played with it yet but just comparing it here at home to how it felt and sounded when it was freshly strung at 11,5kg last time it does seem way lower.

8. visor

visor Regular Member

Yeah, that doesn't sound right. 990 Hz is too low.

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

9. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Agree, that is waaay to low. Based on my collected data, you should expect a ping around 1200 Hz fresh off the machine from a No.1 @11 kg. Make it 1150 Hz worst case if you pick it up a day or two later. No. 1 @9,5 kg is still around 1100'ish Hz, so I tend to believe that Stringster isn't completely off with its 7,7 kg rating.

My guess: If he only used BG65ti for a while, he surely didn't tighten the clamps before stringing your No.1 which caused it to slip throug the clamps like hell. Although I'm sure that his usual 9,5 kg also come out way below the real value.
    My advice: Take your precious racket and look for a different stringer. Handing out a racket with a job like that has disqualified himself already - I mean... you just feel the difference between 11 kg and ~8 kg with one single hit against your palm. :confused:

speCulatius likes this.
  10. Asmo

Asmo Regular Member

Yeah with that result it's the first and last racket I will let him string for me. Too bad, it had been nice to have a decent stringer close by. It does seem more and more like that if I want to get stringing competently and conveniently done here I'm going to have to start doing it myself...

11. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

...been there, done that... and I'm not regretting it a bit! :)

Asmo likes this.
  12. RichF

RichF Regular Member

....going there, done a bit (a very long time ago)...and I'm going to be picking your brains over the Summer!

s_mair likes this.
  13. ckyew

ckyew Regular Member

Hi everyone, I recently did some measurements of strings (different diameters) pulled to a variety of tensions and measured their frequencies.
    Thoughts?

baileeg, Prince Light and Slade like this.
  14. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

here's a new one:

Adidas Wucht P6, Kizuna Z58 @12,5/12,5 kg (27.5 lbs.) - 1460 Hz.

...that ping is just ridiculous...

speCulatius likes this.
  15. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I think my PB was 1501 Hz.

But that was bordering on dangerous - 33/34 on a 4U Jet 10?

16. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

That was... brave? :rolleyes:

But I wonder where that Z58 would come in at those tensions. It should be topping the 1500 at around 30 lbs. I guess. That thing is just unbelievably thin.

#1316 s_mair, Jul 30, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2021