Stringbed frequency to monitor string tension

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by visor, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    I'd put money on the stringer. As No.1 takes higher tensions than that, I reckon they're pinching/damaging the string.

2. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    A "Yonex Stringer" snap 3 packages at 31x33. Especially 2 sets of the indestructable No.5. and one of the very robust No.1. I put money on the stringer, too. I don't understand what you mean with a "Yonex Stringer", but sounding like a pro stringer, he shouldn't deserve such a naming.

3. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

+1 for shifting the blame away from the string. LN5 is like a climbing rope. So either it's indeed the stringer or something on the racket (split grommet or stuff like that). And if I may express a growing suspicion that your stringer is overpulling by quite a lot. That would be the only explanation for the ridiculously high pings that you are sharing here in a row.

ucantseeme likes this.
  4. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    I also think that this so called "Yonex Stringer" is more a basement guy with an entry machine instead of an experienced tournament stringer with a Protech and I think that some stories got some addings or his life must be a badminton movie full of good stories. Serious, 3 sets in a row? I did 34 on a regular base and killed maybe 3 sets of BG65 within a few years due my own fault like poping out grommet, slipping clamp or damage with an awl. 3 things which with a Yonex stringer should never happen and especially not in a row.

5. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    No.5 had QC issues earlier when I used the black packets and I experienced the same with no.1. Some would have no issues even at 35 while one popped at 27 in the middle of night. There was definitely something up back then. Violet packets never failed either at the time.

The protech 8 is supplied by Sunrise and the entire machine is changed whenever any issue occurs. He’s the go-to guy in our country and is always flown for all the tourneys here. Before however being stationed in the capital, he was the stringer at the Yonex shop in Gopichand Academy. He’s a salaried guy from the company and not only does all the tournaments with a +1 stringer (like usual) but has been pumping out rackets from 8 in the morning to 6 in the evening everyday except Monday since forever. This isn’t some “I started an year ago and now know all the tricks of the trade” guy we’re talking about.

The machine is the same one that’s used for players in the superseries / pbl etc. It’s literally carried to the venue since it’s right behind. Not 3 sets in a row, I had AS done at 34 and few more in the gap.

#1245 swsh, May 17, 2018
    Last edited: May 17, 2018
  6. BadBadmintonPlayer

BadBadmintonPlayer Regular Member

I don't understand your problem. 3 strings in a row with a mistake is weird. If someone hears that, it's normal to look for the wrong stringing. Maybe it was just a grommet defect or an other issue.

7. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    Where does it say 3 in a row? A grommet issue wouldn’t have allowed AS and GT5 at 34.

8. BadBadmintonPlayer

BadBadmintonPlayer Regular Member

ucantseeme...

Sometimes a grommet issue destroys a string and sometimes not. Maybe the grommet was replaced, too. Unnecessary discussion if you are happy. :)

9. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    Grommets weren't replaced it popped in front of me when crosses were almost done so I decided to try AS. I'm not sure why ucantseeme said that as well.

10. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Look, here is the thing - the ping values that you have posted over the past months are at least ~100 Hz higher than all the reference values we have seen before. I remember when @Mark A finally nailed that 1500 Hz mark with LN1 @35 lbs. (if I remeber correctly...) on a compact head JS10 and just seconds after finishing the job. And now you shoot with 1550+ Hz with another .65 string @31-33'ish tension on an standard sized isometric head, and for sure several minutes or even hours after the coming off the machine. The figures you posted even make the notorious high-ping-stringer @DarthHowie turn pale in the face. And by all means, it's not hard to conclude that something is not right there.

What are the possiblities:
    a) thinner string
    b) smaller racket head
    c) higher tension

And since a) and b) are not very plausible, there is only c) left to explain these values. And now add to that the story of a string that is commonly known as very durable that snapped during the job. In a court trial, this would be called another "circumstantial evidence" I think.

And even if that stringer is Mr. Yoneyama in person, I'd still think that he is overpulling.

#1250 s_mair, May 17, 2018
    Last edited: May 17, 2018
    ucantseeme likes this.
  11. badmintony

badmintony Regular Member

Probably the best way to validate such claims is to have a video proof or proofs so that everything won't be probable claims only or circumstancial impressions

Sent from my SM-J320F using Tapatalk

12. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Thanks for you wise words. As stringer for years I didn't know anything about grommets if you are happy. As a stringer who get a request for 33lbs with thin strings I normally replace all grommets for every job, because replacing grommets is the fun part of stringing. :rolleyes:

13. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Where did it popped? This would be a very interesting part here. If in the middle or any other random place, the string was faulty. If it popped on a shared, a blocked hole or inside near the frame, I need to say that the stringer made a mistake.

14. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Like I said, there’s just no way no.5 pops that low; no.1 doesn’t pop at 27 either. As I’ve gone through close to 400m of no.1, all from cn stock, not a chance.

15. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    Hazy memory in regards to this matter and I’ll need to look through my older posts probably.

That however will not suddenly change what happened. It also won’t change the fact that @shreyas666 ’s TK8000 with No.5 black packet popped in the middle during the night and had sunken holes because of it. I’ve also used fair bit amount of No.1.

I’ve seen this with Victor strings and YY (namely 66um couple of times). I’ve had a 66UM job pop in the middle of transit randomly and these are normal QC issues that happen sometimes.

16. shreyas666

shreyas666 Regular Member

chief mis-information officer
    for reference point, grommets were as new as is possible with racket was being strung for the second time with a proper stringer.

17. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Right, same stringer did Shreya's racket?

18. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    Yep. Barely few weeks old protech 8 as well that had just been replaced due to issues with the turntable.

While at the same time my no.5 packet at way higher had no issues and they were done one after another.

19. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Then the stringer is making clamping errors. If no.1 is fine, and aerosonic is fine, but somehow no.5 is breaking at lower tensions, the stringer is not adjusting their clamps correctly.

20. shreyas666

shreyas666 Regular Member

chief mis-information officer
    string can be from a bad batch. no? can't that be factored in?