String breaking issues

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Canadaguyy, Dec 21, 2022.

1. Canadaguyy

Canadaguyy Regular Member

Hello, I get my rackets strung at a local sports store, unfortunately about half of the rackets end up breaking around the top of the racket (mains) during the first 10 shots hit with the fresh stringjobs. There is 3 different people who string rackets at the store so I am guessing that one of them is doing something wrong, do you have any idea what they might be doing wrong?
    I ordered myself a superstringer t12 stringing machine and I was wondering what is causing this as I would not want to recreate it.

2. Canadaguyy

Racquets are strung at 26 lbs with bg 80

3. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    I wouldn't be too quick to blame the stringer.

Without photos to make a better judgement, whenever I hear that a string (mains) break near the top of the frame, that is usually the result of a mishit.
    This suggests to me user error and not the fault of the stringer. When you mishit, there's always the possibility the string will break.

However, if the string is breaking at the top where the finishing knot (A5) usually is then it's possible that it's how the knot was tied-off. I know some Yonex stringers are moving the tie-off knot from a5 to lower shared grommet for the crosses for higher tension jobs.

In the future I'd request the specific stringer you want amongst the 3 for your racket (this may cause you to wait longer to get the racket done).

Other things to consider, check the state of your grommets around the top half of your racket. Are they in good condition or are parts of the frame exposed? Does the stringer replace grommets (if they dont....RUN AWAY)?

These would be all the things i'd be checking for both as a client and as a stringer of rackets.

Simply asking questions of your stringer will help you get an idea of the level of detail and care that is put into stringing a racket.

Hope this helps

visor, s_mair and Cheung like this.
  4. Canadaguyy

They only replace grommets when they fall out when i remove the broken strings, all though I do not see any major damage on the top grommets. They do not do alot of racquet stringing either as it is a general sports store. I don’t believe it is normal for the strings to break that quickly (around 10 hits) even in the case of a misshit, is it? Usually I do not break strings on misshits, only in the middle when the strings have been used for a while.

5. Kaelhdris

Kaelhdris Regular Member

It is definitely not normal to break strings that quickly, even with mishits, especially multiple times. There most likely is something else at play, i think Howie covered it pretty well.

6. Canadaguyy

Thanks guys! Hopefully I do not break too many strings until I receive my machine!

7. KBM424

KBM424 New Member

Good afternoon!
    Perhaps with a strong blow you do not get into the "game spot". After a while, the tension decreases, and the "game spot" increases slightly.
    I don't see any other options right away.

8. Canadaguyy

This happened again today with a fresh stringjob from the same store… my other racket was strung at a tournament last september and still hasnt broke… On the stringjob that I just broke, I could see marks on multiple strings, do you know why this happened?

9. Kaelhdris

Kaelhdris Regular Member

Depends on the type and location of the marks, but clamps might be too tight and crush the string, or too loose and let the string slip.

KBM424 likes this.
  10. DarthHowie

Hi we can speculate all we want, but the only way we can better help you is if you provide us further information:

1) photos of the racket after stringing and of the marks on the string.
    2) The location on the racket head where the string broke
    3) Did you ask which individual from the shop strung your racket?
    4) Still BG-80 at 26 lbs?
    5) are your grommets where the string broke in good condition -> provide photos.
    6) are you playing feather or plastic?

I don't know what part of Canada you are located, but i do know that during Canadian winters (Toronto for me) I get more strings broken from customers with BG-80, BG-80P or any thin string.
    I recommend they consider switching to BG-65ti or another thicker string during winter. Some of them do as i tell them it's easier on their wallet.

Other instances is how and where you store your rackets: Do you keep them in your car for extended (overnight) periods of time or in a cold room like the basement?

Based on the amount of questions i'm asking is the amount of variables and combinations that need to be considered.

I know you're leaning towards blaming the stringer, but i want to highlight other aspects that you may not have considered.

KBM424 likes this.
  11. Canadaguyy

1) See attachments below, Red and Black Racket was strung about 1 month ago
    2)Usually around the blue square
    3) The manager is the one that did it this time but I am not sure if he is the one that strung the rackets that lasted for longer periods of time.
    4) Yes
    5) See attachments
    6) Feather

My rackets are always kept at room temperature and never in the cold.

I appreciate you helping me and yes indeed there is probably some aspects I did not take in consideration…

Thanks for your help!

12. Canadaguyy

I will contact you by private message as I am not able to upload the files here as they are too big..

13. Canadaguyy

I was able to send them here instead

Attached Files:

DarthHowie likes this.
  14. DarthHowie

Nothing appears wrong with the grommets of the Astrox 77.. I'd check the top of the grommets on the other side of the frame to make sure the frame isn't exposed.

If possible is their another reputable badminton only stringer you could take your racket to have it strung? That would be my best suggestion instead of sinking more money to the same store.

Your comparable Astrox (red) of a different stringer suggests it could be the stringer but are you playing with that racket equally as the 77?

If you're yielding the same results with a different stringer:
    1) you have bad luck
    or
    2) It might be you.

kakinami likes this.
  15. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

Ouch <3

That red racket the last cross looked a little loose.

16. DarthHowie

The good news, you are patiently waiting for your stringing machine to arrive. Be patient as the process will take a while in the beginning but you have plenty of knowledgeable members here, threads to read and videos to watch.

The bad news, since you're in a small town where there is only one stringer (possibly a bad one and charges a ridiculous price) your options are extremely limited.

This situation has definitely created an opportunity for you. If you learn and love to string rackets, you can definitely undercut the store by a lot.

I look forward to you posting photos of your machine...and to the questions (don't be shy) you'll likely have.

kakinami likes this.
  17. Canadaguyy

Thanks! Hopefully I will receive my machine soon enough and I can’t wait to string on it! Will for sure post pictures!

18. Canadaguyy

I received my machine! Videos and threads from BC members we’re very useful! I will send a picture of one of my old rackets mounted on the machine so you can see if I mounted it properly! This might be a dumb question… How do the clamps stay at the height of the strings when I clamp the string? I closed the clamp and the clamp base but the clamp still goes down to the clamp base…
    Thanks for your help and feedback!

DarthHowie likes this.
  19. Canadaguyy

Photo

Attached Files:

SnowWhite and toy_cel like this.
  20. Canadaguyy

Do I need to do any adjustments to the string gripper for different size of strings?