Stretching before

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Magwitch, Jan 11, 2021.

1. Magwitch

Magwitch Regular Member

It would surprise most in the general population to know that the bulk of research shows stretching, or at least static stretching, before exercise, impairs physical performance. It also indicates no improvement in delayed onset muscle soreness or injury prevention. It did occur to me when I found this out that I've often noticed feeling weaker after stretching. That's not always the case, but the most common thing I notice is feeling weaker. I've decided as a result to dispense with stretching before exercise, and keep it to after. Of course there is dynamic stretching, which doesn't fit the usual definition of a stretch one usually has.

Before doing a fitness test at the gym yesterday the PT had me do dynamic stretching. I mentioned the research to him and asked if he was getting me to do dynamic stretching because of it, and that was the case. What are people's experience here? Do you think static stretching before exercise makes you stronger? Have you tried not doing it to compare? Static stretching after exercise is something which isn't a matter of dispute.

2. asadafgs

asadafgs Regular Member

When I trained in China, we would do static stretching every session before playing. If you find it detrimental, then you should definitely discontinue

In regards to evidence, the quality of many experimental designs in sports science is poor It is important to be cautious when drawing conclusions from evidence of limited quality and of evidence from less rigorous scientific journals.

Edit: The first result from google scholar if you search static stretching is a literature review that concludes there is limited evidence that static stretching is disadvantageous. I quickly searched for static stretching on BMJ Sports Medicine and could not find evidence that SS before activity is disadvantageous.

Sports Science is an underfunded field, and you will probably struggle to find studies that have greater than 30 participants. And you almost certainly wouldn’t be able to find designs sufficiently powered to detect differences in interventions like static stretching or beet juice supplementation or whatever

#2 asadafgs, Jan 11, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    Cheung likes this.
  3. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

When I have had a calf muscle that felt like it was near to set off and cramp, part of the solution for me was no static stretch before.

Maybe dynamic stretching is no problem. (Calf pumps). Though I could test that more.

But if I did static stretches of the calf, and then badminton , then chances of calf cramp was much worse. I used to go to group coaching where the coach would get people doing static calf stretches. And if I followed along with that then it was not good re calf cramp during games. Sometimes my calf was not good but too bad but static stretching before would make it worse again.

#3 ralphz, Jan 12, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  4. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

let's talk about....

... the differences between static and dynamic stretching
    It's called static stretching, when at least one muscle is held in an extended position for a longer time span. Normally, we talk about something between 30 seconds and 1 minute. Dynamic stretching does not involve this holding, at least not for anything longer than 10 seconds. It's dynamic. It involves movement, thus alowing for bigger amplitude and it can be a repetitive movement.

... the basic ideas of warming up
    We warm up to prepare the body for the movements to come by increasing the blood flow and building up some tension in the muscles - not only the bigger, main ones, but also the smaller ones that mostly stabilize joints. This is critical to prevent injuries and to allow for quicker movements. It's pretty much never talked about, but ligaments behave in an interesting way. with increasing force, theyl stretch linearly until a specific threshold when they stop stretching (almost) at all. That's when the force from the muscle is transfered. WIth the added tension in the muscles, pre-stretching the ligaments, it's easier to add stability to the joints and to transfer the power qicker, allowing for faster movement.

... dynamic stretching before exercise/as part of a warm up
    This doesnt pull the muscles in any different way, than actual movement, mostly activating some smaller muscles, but also "reminding" the joints and muscles of movement that's possible.

... static stretching before exercise
    It pulls the musscles a loong time, pulling out the tension. That's not a problem, as long as you warm up properly (again) afterwards. Even though there's a lot of research on that, there's absolutely no evidence that this has any positive effect like the prevention of injuries or better results. Luckily, it doesn't seem to have negative effects either.

... why you should do a throughout static stretching routine regulaly
    First of all, this should not be done on overused muscles, after an intense workout, on sore muscles and certainly not on injured muscles. Static stretching is for healthy muscles! It can be done after a slow cardio/recovery workout or before exercising, if you warm up properly* afterwards.
    Most of you will think about mobility training, but while I do belive that there's some positive effects, at least in some areas, I think there's not any prove that it's better than dynamic stretching. My memory might be blurred on that, because it doesn't matter. The most significant effect (in my opinion) is that it has been shown that regulat static stretching causes the body to strengthen the z-disks inside the sarcomere which then leads to a more resilient muscle that's less prone to injury.
    Depending on the stretching muscles you use, it also trains the intermuscular coordination, but... just hire me as a coach if you wanna go that deep.

*this means you'd need roughly 2 hours (or even more) before starting to exercise - short 20 minute warm up - roughly one hour full body stretching - 40 minutes throughout warmup

visor, Woesi and SnowWhite like this.
  5. asadafgs

asadafgs Regular Member

Well just because there isn’t research showing clear advantages or disadvantages to pre exercise static stretching doesn’t mean that a real, clinically relevant effect doesn’t exist. The experimental design is underpowered to detect such small differences. You should do whatever feels best for you

6. konstancij

konstancij Regular Member

before starting doing static stretching I had regular micro injuries here and there during warming up.
    There was so huge difference, since I am doing my short stretching prigramm, that there is simply no question for me.

7. viver

viver Regular Member

I only had badminton coaches from China, and only did dynamic stretches before the drills. We may have a 10 minute jog prior to the stretching to warm up our body. Static stretching is done last, generally to cool down after the training session.

ralphz likes this.