Strategies to minimise running during games

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Magwitch, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Magwitch

Magwitch Regular Member

I've long had a problem with chronic muscle pain, which isn't necessarily connected to activity levels. Doing some research recently I came across fibromyalgia. The doctor thinks I probably have it, but I've just done blood tests to exclude other causes. Fibromyalgia involves diminished exercise capacity and recovery.

Whether I have it or not I certainly have a diminished capacity. Unless I can improve this capacity I need to look at things I can do to make playing games (practice doubles games at the club) not take so much out of me. Certainly one thing is coaching, as my technique isn't good, and having good technique will dramatically improve my capacity in such a demanding sport.

The main concern is the number of quick sprints to shots, like drop shots. I could of course minimize how often I do this by rarely running for these shots, but if I did that a lot it would presumably annoy my doubles partners. I could try to play with players of a lower ability, or ones who aren't good at drop shots. The other idea is if I can play in a certain way that would discourage the opposition trying many drop shots, even if it made my game more predictable. If I did this I would need to play with a doubles partner who doesn't play in such a way that encourages a lot of drop shots from the opposition. Any ideas of how I can play in such a way to limit my running distance in matches?

2. wannaplay

wannaplay Regular Member

or you can partner with someone really good who can cover the whole court in your stead. where i used to play, very rich maninland aunties would buy up ex provincial players freshly arrived from china and taiwan to partner them. one such auntie is currently top ranked provincial xd with her ex national player partner. she can hardly move herself. you might want to take a page from her play book.

Magwitch likes this.
  3. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

Fast, flat play aimed straight or at not too great an angle encourages less of the lift/drop rallies that entail more running.

However, there's always going to be instances where you have to lift, and there is no other sensible choice.

The thing to do in this case is to lift crosscourt every time possible, and move directly back in sides-defence, then your partner does more of the running for drop shots. If a crosscourt drop shot is played to you, you have a bit more time to reach it.

If you must lift it straight, then you can either try and move crosscourt into defence (hard) or just stay in the front and leave your partner playing singles (this actually works against some opponents who like to drop particularly well, but fails miserably against others).

Otherwise, you'll just have to run for the odd straight defence every now and then.

For ideas on how to fairly get your partner to take more 'running' responsibility, you'd do well to watch some XD footage and look at how the female players move and choose their shots. They tend to try and avoid being the straight defender, but you can see not only how they cope with it, but also how they try and get their opponents out of position too!

#3 DarkHiatus, Oct 18, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    dnewguy, LenaicM and Magwitch like this.
  4. Budi

Budi Regular Member

1. Train your footwork.
    Bad footwork player, do running to cover whole court instead of splitstep which more tiresome than the correct footwork.
    Other thing are that even some player i see had good footwork, they sometimes do excesive movement that waste energy, like to strong explosive dash makes you hardly able to stop & return to base position fast or they do 2 step while they can just do 1 step.

2. Decent shoes.
    A slippery shoes will tire you foot more as your energy are wasted on when you sliding on your shoes.

3. Do a mix games.
    I play with anyone & any skill level. Am look for quality games when i play with skilled group, 1 or 2 games if fine for me. The rest i will play just for fun with other lower level. Less tiring for me so it wont strain my body much while at the same times i train them & also train myself with some trickshot i want to master.

4. Endurance training.
    Its not all about able to do a
    1 task 1000x in 1 go but start small & constantly growing. Like for example to 50x sit up daily for 1 month, on 2nd month do 100x, & so on every month till you hit your target.

5. Magwitch

Magwitch Regular Member

Still haven't found the answer yet, but was told the doctor wants to see me about my vitamin D results. Low vitamin D is associated with muscle pain and muscle weakness, so it's obviously something a serious badminton player wouldn't want to have. A lot of people with fibromyalgia have low vitamin D.

I realized from reading yesterday that I have what is surely gluten intolerance. I've read that a lot of people with fibromyalgia see major reduction in muscle pain from cutting gluten, so I'm trying to more or less cut it out just to see if I notice a difference.