Sports that need not be in the olympics

Discussion in 'ATHENS 2004 non-badminton events' started by V1lau, Aug 20, 2004.

1. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    Guys, it would be awesome to triple or quadruple the number of badminton medals at the Olympics and I think some of the ideas I posted earlier will work ( :D :D :rolleyes: ).

Now, the only hard problem and question is, who's gonna write the letter and petition to the IOC?? :D

Dibs out!

2. Californian

Californian Regular Member

In the history of the modern Olympics, there have only been about 3 or 4 sports eliminated, but new ones are always being added. The list continues to grow, which is why I don't take the talk of badminton being dropped seriously.

3. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

well, some of those swiming and running events do not take up much time,
    unlike a badminton WD match

e.g. if there are 64 competitors in the 100m, you have 8 heats with 8 in each
    taking 10 seconds to run and a few minutes of admin
    and then either semis or a final.
    The whole event completed in about 30 minutes

I agree about things that are judged on artistic merit. Get rid of them.

4. manabu

manabu Regular Member

Dr
    Bowling is another game dat I would like 2 nominate to the Olympics committe~~ itz enjoyable to watch and require precision, strength and mental toughness etc ... another interesting event would be to climb mountain or climb steps like marathon lol~~

Badminton, cycling, marathon along with gymnastics require many many months of hard work and should have a higher "GOLD CONTENTS" than events like Synchronise diving (I bet they spend more times climbing up steps than they dive..)

Lets say that there are 40 gold medals in the Soccer event (men and women), to be fair I think they should have the same amount of "Gold" divided evenly in the Badminton event too. Making it basically "8 ordinary gold medals" worth of gold in each individual badminton event gold medal (Mens singles and doubles, Womens singles doubles, Mix equal to 5 events), now that sounds a little fairer

5. V1lau

V1lau Regular Member

Net Play and Counter Attack
    After losing in my weekly texas holdem game and watching a fantastic table tennis game of offense against defense, now comes the event that inspired me to start this thread...dressage...damn horses...funny thing is I always wanted to ride a horse, maybe I should try it and maybe that will change my opinion of this so called sport...things to think about,... maybe I am alittle drunk and rambling...drink a 40oz bud have to say it not as bad as I thought it would be but has a bad aftertaste, still would buy a heiny instead.

6. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    Equestrian definitely should not be in the Olympics. It's the horses that are competing, not human.

The next one that need to go is Sailing. Too much high tech involved in building sail boats.

7. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    How about doing it by weight? It would be great to see some heavyweight badminton players :D

8. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    extra badminton events

coached and uncoached singles (in the spirit of coxed and coxless rowing)

tag singles (you can tag your partner on court and take a breather :) as in the cycling madison)

5point, 10 point, 15 point 20 point singles so a badminton can win as many medals as phelps or thorpe

3 v 3 , 4v4 matches

10 weight categories

low net and high net versions

all round event (you play singles, doubles mixed)

style event (you play and are awarded marks for style regardless of score :) )

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    feather shuttle event
    nylon shuttle event, yay plastic :D

10. Xo_BaddyGrl_oX

Xo_BaddyGrl_oX Regular Member

grade 11 student in Sudbury!
    how bout VOLLEY BALL BADMINTON LOL!! it's so much fun to play!:D just basically one team smashing at the other!

11. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    many interesting events, we must send all of this to IBF and IOC!! :p :p

12. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    I was just wondering if their would be one of these events I would have a chance of winning... if not, we need to add at least ne more! :p :p :p
    (I'm sure if we define precisely enough the size, weight and length of hair there can be a category in which I can win! ;) )

13. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    WHat sort of event were you looking for seven,,...olympic mens 170-175cm 65 kg half court five point yonex Ti5 racquet final ??:)

Its the swimming that really gets me, you see the same guy doing 100, 200, 400, 1500 freestyle then he does the freestyle team and gets five or more medal shots basically for one talent and one stroke.

Also phelps swam in one final got out of the pool , did an interview got back in and broke the olympic record in another event.

Also how do all the diving events get in when badminton mixed was under pressure. I mean there are a couple of diving pools in the whole uk , theres probably 50,000 badminton players for every diver and 5000 courts for every highboard diving venue.

I mean do we really need synchro diving?? Might as well have synchro vault or floor in gymnastics. There are about 40 medals just in swimming and diving.

There are 14 rowing events, lightweight events boosting the numbers. In addition 17 kayak / canoe events.

There are 14 track cycling events plus road races, 18 gymnastics (including trampoline and rhythmic)

How many athletes switch events many times until they find success, if you have basic speed you can aim for 100m, 200m, 400m, 110 / 400 hurdles, long jump, 4x 100m 4x 400m....for a team like usa with 3 athletes in each event thats around 24 places for a "speed" athlete. In badminton if you were 24 th in your country you'd be no where near the national squad, which would probably have 5 "A" players and some youngsters.

14. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    Are you sure the same guy can compete in both 100 and 1500? :rolleyes: I think competing in both 100 and 1500 swimming is just like competing in both men singles and men's double - same basic skill but different strategy and tactics.

15. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Rather 185-190cm, 65 kg, and above 30 cm hair length. Their shouldn't be too many opponents in this category should there?? :p

Yes, I completely agree! :mad:

16. Syaoran_Style

Syaoran_Style Regular Member

I'm wondering why they don't do an Olympics games badminton team ... with that it will be more longer and more exciting LoL =p or maybe this is too much with TC/UC and sudirman cup :rolleyes:

17. Syaoran_Style

Syaoran_Style Regular Member

and retiire THE DRESSSAGE !!!

18. V1lau

V1lau Regular Member

Net Play and Counter Attack
    retire artistic...non combative events...because I don't know who won any of those events...good job everyone...you all had a chance to win because anytime someone could give you a crazy score, so next time look pretty, that should be enough...good job paul hamm, now I know better than to think the best person wins in these type of events, because judges can't enter starting values and miss all kind of deductions every time... so congrat on being able to get away with the most errors and win the gold...u are the best cheater... :)

19. dpc1l

dpc1l Regular Member

Squash

Any idea why squash isn't an olympic sport? How did it get left out when tennis, badminton and table tennis made it in? (also, the UK are good at it:p )

20. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

maybe it will be back in the 2012 games

see http://www.worldsquash.org/wsf/olympicgames.html