Son Wan Ho ( 孫完虎 )

Discussion in 'Korea Professional Players' started by undeadshot, Apr 29, 2012.

1. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

ya, LHI is still in good shape. see how well he fare in the qualifying race.

2. Kento

Kento Regular Member

Sad news indeed.

3. ant01

ant01 Regular Member

"In other sports, such as NBA, fewer than half of NBA players who suffered a complete Achilles tendon tear returned to play for more than one season, and 39% never return to play at all."

"The current coaching director of Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM), Wong Choong Hann also injured himself by snapping an Achilles tendon while playing in a 2006 Thomas Cup quarter final match against South Korea. Wong was required to rest for almost 6 months. He made a comeback to the sport in the Asian Games later in 2006 but was clearly far from his best form."

Source

4. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Especially at his age... it's not really the best of news for him but everyone could react differently to a same injury and I hope SWH can make a comeback but his age and latest achievements which somehow highlighted his career suggest it's probably the end of him at his top form.

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

So sorry to hear that Son Wan Ho has ruptured his Achilles tendon, couldn't have happened at a worse time, just before the start of the OG cycle.

To me, he's a great player, he impressed me as the only one who could take a set off the quintessential Chen Long at Rio'16 where The dragon was sweeping away everyone in commanding fashion. I also remembered him as one of the few players who could beat mighty LCW in his younger days.

We can only wish him speedy recovery. Hope his return from injury layoff is not fraught with too much difficulties for age is against him at 30. All the best.

6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

http://sports.sina.com.cn/others/badmin/2019-06-11/doc-ihvhiews8122865.shtml
    According to the Chinese newsmedia, Sina Sports, Son Wan Ho is recovering well, training at least 4 hours a day, no problem walking except a bit unnatural.

Son Wan Ho said:"Apart from the injured area, I have been doing whole body rehabilitative training, as a result I felt physically stronger than before, the aim is to resume competition before November." As by then there is only about six months left to accumulate OG qualification points, he added that if his recovery and comeback go smoothly, the first thing is to maintain his world ranking within top 16 so as to be sure of obtaining an OG spot; of course, it would be best to get inside top 8 and become a seeded contestant.

The article mentioned that Son Wan Ho and Sung Ji Hyun are an item and both targeting the Tokyo 2020 Olympics. At the same time, he expressed he's looking forward to following Lee Hyun Il 's footstep in long-term involvement in badminton competition, emulating his longevity.

He praised "Lee Hyun Il is very good at managing his physical condition, but for me, as I age, while my technical ability is being maintained, my stamina gradually declines, not only me, it's the same for all athletes. When I was young, I didn't realize the importance of self-training but as I grow older, I become aware of its essence."

Sundis and LenaicM like this.
  7. Curvy

Curvy Regular Member

This sort of injury is usually career ending especially for a 30 year old. Hope he can comeback and compete at the highest level better than JOJ.

8. DinB

DinB Regular Member

Son Wan Ho back in Korea open this year. I thought he retired from professional badminton, but actually he only retired from the national team and now playing as independent player. Interesting to see how he will perform after a long absence in the international arena.

#68 DinB, Apr 4, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2022
  9. Justafan90

Justafan90 Regular Member

Does korea not name independent players in the Thomas cup team? They would stand a better chance with him and the independent MD like ki sung hyun/shim baek cheol or lee yong dae