Son Wan Ho ( 孫完虎 )

Discussion in 'Korea Professional Players' started by undeadshot, Apr 29, 2012.

1. ltjrpliskin

ltjrpliskin Regular Member

Where did this guy go? I want to see him play more haha

2. holhm22

holhm22 Regular Member

Student
    I remember watching the 2014 HK Open live on TVB and seeing him beat Chen Long... Awesome! :D

3. phalanx

phalanx Regular Member

he's is not too constant. But as far as I know he got injured in the beginning of the year (?) and played not that well.

But I think when he is fit he is easily top 3. Last year he also regularly beat Jorgensen and other top players.

4. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

Last year he did great, and really stepped his game and results up a notch.
    But "regularly beat Jorgensen and the other top players" might be stretching it a bit. They are 1-1 going 12 months back, and 2-1 going two years back.
    He also beat Chen Long two times in the same period, which is by itself is a great achievement, but he had more losses to him than he had wins.
    However, his peak game was indeed on par with the best, so if he can keep himself in good shape for a longer period and stay hungry, I'm sure he'll advance from current ten to top-5.
    :)

5. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

I can't recall the circumstances of his injury.
    All I recall is that he withdrew from the super series finals back in December. The tournament where H K Vittinghus really got his "breakthrough" (after having beaten SWH in one of the first matches).
    Don't know if he got his injury there, or if he had if already before the tournament.
    I hope he gets back to speed soon, so he'll be ready for the WC and the olympics.

6. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

CONGRATULATIONS Son Wan Ho !!!!!!!!!!

The 2nd Best Player in the World.

[​IMG]

7. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Congratulations !
    You reached the pinnacle of badminton.
    Wowww.
    WORLD NO.1

Sent from my SM-G600FY using Tapatalk

8. Petersen

Petersen Regular Member

Son Wan Ho/ A genuine gentleman, the way he walked calm around,, with a little smile after the match, indicates for me we haven't seen the last from the current WR NO 1 Big respect BIG !

9. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I like SWH as he is indeed a gentleman of the sport and has a nice technique, but I cannot see him staying with the best in the sport despite having been world no.1. He simply does not have any threatening weapons. He is generally consistent but does make a lot of unforced errors, particularly on his forehand side. He has improved his defence this year, but it is still not quite on par with the likes of CL, LCW, VA etc. He really needs to develop a stronger attack, and play with a bit more speed and aggression at times. Compared to all the best players, he doesn't seem to have an extra gear to rely on - which is a shame as I really want to seem him do better. LHI was very similar, great technique, patient but seems to lack speed and attacking ability.

thibier likes this.
  10. thibier

thibier Regular Member

Agree with the previous post. No offensive weapon.

11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Well done, Son Wan Ho, a gratifying victory over Momota today at the semifinals of the HK Open WTS500 tourney.

In a contest between top elites, all aspects of the game come into play, physical and mental. Though in the end it was a long, grueling match that boiled down to a battle of willpower and stamina, you emerged victorious narrowly, 18-21, 21-16,21-19.

At the crucial stage in G3 when you were 19-16 up and the opponent drew level, you didn't panic but remained calm and steady to win the final two points to close out the match which could've gone either way.

While I thought your triumph could partly be attributed to your opponent's accumulated fatigue taking its toll on him, it took nothing away from your victory as it was a case of who is the better player of the day regardless of any circumstances favourable or otherwise affecting the final outcome.

Keep it up, Son. Just one more step to the trophy tomorrow. Wish you all success. High time you win a title after such a long spell. Go for it !

12. Master

Master Regular Member

Well done SWH @ HK Open 2018... :cool:
    [​IMG]

13. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Great to see him win something, but his style of play - sheer grinding - very rarely gets somebody into the top flight.

His technique is gorgeous and he can run forever... but he can never seem to put the shuttle on the deck. He's like a Korean Tien Min Ngyuen, if anything.

14. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Umm..Sorry to interrupt but his footwork is far more refined than TNM and his BH is one of the best when he is jailed into that corner, his net play is nothing to laugh at and His Physical built alone makes his smash 2x more potent than Vietnam's hottest.

Justin L and KB@TB Em like this.
  15. Kento

Kento Regular Member

Congratulations to Son Wan Ho for winning the Malaysian Masters 2019 against Chen Long.

He played admirably with very sound defense.

I look forward to seeing him play Kento Momota in tournaments later this year

16. slickkilla

slickkilla Regular Member

what yonx racket is he using in the malaysian open? i thought he wass using victor

17. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

The Korean team switched to Yonex early 2019 so did he. He is using a Voltric Glanz.

18. Cloudx

Cloudx Regular Member

I thought glanz range frame suppose to have very low tension, was surprised to see a professional player using it. I wonder how high he set the tension to.

19. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

20. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    Oh no such bad news. Hopefully he can recover. Who will play olympics now for KOR MS? Lee DK is not that good, Jeon Hyeok Jin I dont know what happened to him, I cannot remember seeing him after 2017 Sudirman cup? Looks like LHI can play the olympics then?:p