Some players like Viktor Axelsen and Kento Momota use a small edge on their racket.

Discussion in 'Grip' started by ArialAlbert, Nov 11, 2019.

1. ArialAlbert

ArialAlbert New Member

Some players like Viktor Axelsen and Kento Momota use sports tape or grip tape and make a thin edge on their racket, apparantly making it slip less.

Is this actually a thing? I have never seen anyone use this before and when I tried it it feels the same but the grip end is heavier than the racket head. Is this practical in anyway and should I copy?

2. jctai

jctai Regular Member

If it doesn't feel good for you, then it's not practical to copy. Your grip should be totally tailored for you only. Is there anything wrong with your current gripping setup? And when you said thin edge I'm guessing it's a wider bottom at the grip. Wider bottom does help with preventing slipping, some use it solely for a sense of security when you're holding near the bottom of the grip.

ucantseeme likes this.
  3. superdan12

superdan12 Regular Member

That's a very common thing for people with slippery hands, if you have no problem securing your grip during power strokes, it's not necessary. And yes, the balance point will change, but everyone's grip setup changes the balance point unless they grip it the exact same way, so it's whatever you feel comfortable doing.

4. visor

visor Regular Member

It helps, especially if you are using a very loose grip to generate finger power.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk