SO what happens to the goose?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Beryl, Aug 31, 2004.

1. redkingjoe

redkingjoe Guest

CPA
    Monkey meat? The most famous dish is monkey brain.

The monkey is still alive and tied to a special table with a hole on table top. They then open the head of the monkey alive. When the monkey is still crying and struggling, put very hot oil on the brain. Use a spoon to eat.

I was told this is the best taste chinese food! Only the king and some rich guy can have it.

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
  3. redkingjoe

redkingjoe Guest

CPA
    But they didn't eat the brain when the animal was still alive. It's not as fresh. Also, it was told that when the animal was struggling and crying, more blood will go to the brain making it tastier.

4. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Oh, PETA would love you for saying that:rolleyes:.

5. dpc1l

dpc1l Regular Member

hehehe - very good

#45 dpc1l, Nov 5, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2004
  6. dpc1l

dpc1l Regular Member

This sounds like a cross between Indiana Jones and Hannibal!
    I think (hope) it's some sort of urban legend, but..... I feel a bit weak thinking about it!

7. Robbo77

Robbo77 Regular Member

Accountant
    HAHAHA! Yes the geese!!, the forgotten heroes of this great sport!!:D

8. redkingjoe

redkingjoe Guest

CPA
    The monkey brain is a famous "dish" in China. It has no relationship with Indiana Jones or Hannibal. It's extremely expensive so it's not an often.

I thought it's more gross to see the Japanese eat a fish alive. One time in Japan, my wife ordered a sushi whole fish. When the fish arrived, the eyes, the mouth, the bone and the tail were still moving but all the meats were removed from the fish and put on the dish. The fish watched my wife enjoying it's meat.

I still remember very well that when the waiter took the dish away, the fish was still watching and trying to remember who ate it!!!

9. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    I've a polite request. While I understand food freshness, cruelty to animals is another matter. Can you please refrain from graphic descriptions of this sort?

Thanks.

-dave

10. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    North Americans and Europeans are quite sensitive to eating animal live. So please, stop describing the graphic details. Thank you!

11. mark_palmos

mark_palmos Regular Member

NOT TRUE!!
    LIVE geese are used to obtain feathers. The plucking of feathers causes extreme pain in the geese, and millions of feathers are plucked every week... On top of this, most the work is done in places like West Bengal, where their abuse of children used to make the shuttlecocks is well known.

Please read this, and many other informative articles. It is time to go synthetic, Goose and Duck feather use is obscene and immoral
    https://www.firstpost.com/living/ba...ese-causing-much-pain-to-animals-3964761.html

scamp likes this.
  12. LoaS

LoaS Regular Member

Not that I'm disagreeing with what you're saying but the link provided is a very poor reference. There is nothing concrete in this articles, no proof or pictures, just someone's opinion. If you are going to argue something in three different threads you might want to make sure it can be backed up.

kwun and michael5098 like this.
  13. mark_palmos

Do you think factories guilty of cruelty towards animals will open their doors willingly? There are MANY articles about the cruelty towards birds in making shuttlecocks. I suggest that being "cynical" about articles like this is purely out of the convenience of putting one's head in the sand and pretending it is not an immoral activity you are encouraging by using feather shuttlecocks.

InfiniteCharme likes this.
  14. LoaS

LoaS Regular Member

Once again you do not provide any relevant material to rely on.
    I am also interested into knowing where these feathers come from but can't find reliable articles on the subject.

I am not being cynical or burying my head in the sand as you said but like to rely on facts to make judgement calls. Is there animal cruelty involved in making shuttles? Most likely but to what extent. Is it only the cheap low quality shuttles that rely on these methods to procure shuttles while more premium brands use "morale ways" (if you can call meat processing plants morale) to aquire feathers?

When browsing to answer these questions I have also found several websites and blog posts claiming that feathers for shuttles were a by-product of the meat industry. Unfortunately none of the posts I read on the subject provided any evidence for their claim so, just like your argument, they do not carry much weight.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

michael5098 likes this.
  15. InfiniteCharme

InfiniteCharme New Member

Never seen more of a false equivalence. This isn't the "gotcha" you think it is.

16. mark_palmos

So if this explanation is true, then how do they pick up feathers off "piles on the floor" knowing they are ONLY from the tips of the left wing?! Sounds like a far fetched story to me... something made up for the appetites of a western animal's rights conscious population.

sautom88 and InfiniteCharme like this.
  17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Here is some figure to ponder about.

How this researcher is transforming the goose industry one ‘artificial day’ at a time (researchfeatures.com)

600 million birds are produced every year for meat consumption. That's more than 1 BILLION feathers. Is it primary product or byproduct, do they kill the bird for the feather, or kill the bird and the feather is convenient for shuttlecock production, that's up to you to decide.

michael5098 and Cheung like this.
  18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Duck number must be even larger

19. scamp

scamp Regular Member

Time is long overdue for a good synthetic shuttle.