SMART Badminton ASIA Championships 2022 (Manila, 26 April-01 May)

Discussion in '2022 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Apr 25, 2022.

1. cococo

cococo Regular Member

Yea...I think if he beat LZJ he is definitely top 10,maybe even top 5 world ranking material. He already beat two of the top 10 and a former WR1 in just a few weeks. Which I think is quite amazing when you consider he hardly plays in any international tournaments and wasn't even the MS3 for China's last Thomas Cup.

Sent from my SM-A307GN using Tapatalk

keithl likes this.
  2. Vestige117

Vestige117 Regular Member

If the game becomes too tight, WHY might wins it. He's ice cold like Chen Long.

Woesi and keithl like this.
  3. keithl

keithl Regular Member

software engineer
    Plus the unpredictable venue, so ice cold is great plus, if it is very tight game.

4. Justafan90

Justafan90 Regular Member

Its a super 1000, maybe if he wins it he can stop playing qualifying as his ranking will go up. What is his ranking now?

5. cococo

cococo Regular Member

BWF website said he's ranked 81,but I saw some news articles saying he was ranked outside 150 at the time he joined the Korean tournament.

I knew it was pretty low though because I remembered his name from the Thomas Cup and I wanted to see him play then but he hardly got a chance because he was below a lot of other Chinese players in ranking.

Sent from my SM-A307GN using Tapatalk

6. Justafan90

Outside 150? What? The chinese team probably wanted to name him as their first singles for Thomas Cup this time but couldn’t due to his ranking.

keithl and cococo like this.
  7. Vestige117

WHY was ranked 156 before Korea Open, rise to 81, and if he win this tournament, he will be in the top 50.

8. Maurice MJC

Maurice MJC Regular Member

Akane has a 12 - 2 head to head against HBJ (85% win record).. compared to 8-13 (38% win record) against Sindhu. Pretty sure she would much rather face HBJ.

ASY will be very happy however if she meets Sindhu, as she is yet to lose a single game against Sindhu

justiceforlcy likes this.
  9. Justafan90

Dumb question but why is his ranking so low? Is it cos he is new? I mean he’s about the same age if not a year or two difference with LZJ, Jojo etc

10. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

INA and MAS has booked themselves a place for MD finals, each of them have to fight their own compatriots, like civil war...

11. Thebestbees

Thebestbees Regular Member

Minimal exposure to decent tournaments

12. ong huigen

ong huigen Regular Member

You do realize that hbj has been almost unbeatable recently.

Also this tournament cannot be used as a true gauge of one abilities for obvious reasons

skhai91 likes this.
  13. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

SEMIFINAL (01.00pm) : https://www.tournamentsoftware.com/...997-DC20-41A7-A871-7917A79C4FE5&d=20220430&c=

upload_2022-4-30_9-46-9.png

Quite rarely to find all Indonesia MS semifinals in top tier event, Chico Wardoyo maintains excellent run and doesn't waste chance to go further in this continental tournament, vanquished Li SF with his hard smash and attacking mode. Later on Asian Games champion edged past World Champion in close contest, Loh KY quest for his World Champ incredible version still intact, too rush to attack with monstrous speed but didn't completed by accuracy and became boomerang at the end to contribute cheap point for his opponent. Christie played calmer and smartly, changing the pace during rally and smashing in right time. The offensive player has advantage and more suitable for windy stadium. Weng Hongyang once again surprised higher-ranked rivals, to dispose second seed Ginting in three games and Srikanth couple of days ago, a new hope has risen for China to replace soon-to-be-retired Chen L and the uncertain Shi YQ as future leading man. Weng will challenge one of title contenders Lee ZJ who overpowered Tsuneyama with ease.

Sindhu-He BJ clash presents excitement in end part of final game when the left-hander trying to catch up, narrowed the gap and almost forced deuce but a mistake in net play brought the Indian into final four. He was out of her element, frustrated by the drift particularly tons of error in opening game, shaking her confidence and produced number of nervous shots. On the other side Sindhu is really well prepared, sharp and precise attacking shot also good anticipation as well plus she's faster, smooth footwork than the Chinese. Top seed Yamaguchi also experienced tough battle to quell Chochuwong stiff resistance. From bottom-half draw, Korean favourite An SY will take on China last WS standing, Wang ZY

It's INA-MAS final in MD and CHN-KOR for WD last round, Pram/Yere seize the limelight to stun reigning World Champions Hoki/Kobayashi who little bit waned in 2022 after made sensational result in late last year. Rankireddy/Shetty still can't beat Tokyo OG bronze medalists so far, the Indian had great start in first game but Chia/Soh implemented fast flat game in next two games and minimize chance to lift the shuttlecock that troubling their tall rivals. Chen/Jia have the antidote for Matsuyama/Shida formula, the Japanese can't develop their creative shots, being under pressure of World Champions relentless and lethal smashes. Mixed doubles holdovers stay on course, China experiment to split Zheng SW and Huang YQ looks like come to an end as they will continue partnerships for next tours ahead.

It'sMeMeMe likes this.
  14. ong huigen

ong huigen Regular Member

He is still below many Chinese players like lu guang zu etc. Also, I think most of you are too carried away based in his performance on a low profile tournament and another very poorly organized tournament

15. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Lack of international participation, pandemic hiatus. He took part many low tier tournaments in 2019 but no significant result yet.

upload_2022-4-30_10-4-43.png

16. keithl

keithl Regular Member

software engineer
    I think his upside is real. The Korean Open where he came from qualifying round all the way to winning the tournament is not a small feat. This tournament, albeit the crappy venue, which every player has to adapt, he is adjusting and doing well. I think he was bottled up, you could see he played the style that was asked of him by the coach, towards the end of the championship 3rd game against JC, he bursted out with several thundering smashes which shows his great reserved in energy and superb fitness. Coach can only provide so much guidance, he adjusted during game and found his own formula.

17. Vestige117

From my point of view, he is probably the best in the entire CHN MS right now, except Chen Long and Shi Yuqi. LGZ, ZJP, LSF are too straightforward.

keithl likes this.
  18. keithl

keithl Regular Member

software engineer
    I totally agree. Being a leftie, possesses great explosive power, strong wrist (did you see he recorded a few times 400+ kmh Korean Open) and a great physical (built taller and stronger than Lin Dan). I would not be surprised if he beat LZJ. And I am a fan of LZJ.

19. Justafan90

I still think it’s crazy the CBA is still punishing SYQ with their current MS situation

20. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    Is there any livestream for todays matches?

keithl likes this.