Single Racket For All Situations vs Specialized Rackets

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by precrime3, May 15, 2021.

1. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    Basically, want to hear people's experiences on this question:

Do you use a single racket for everything you play, or do you have a singles racket, MD/WD racket, and a XD racket?

Would love to hear what people think, as well as what level of badminton you play.

I know that the meta is to use a single racket, especially at the top level but this maybe just because they're specializing into a discipline, right?

I know there's a few players who switch based on their discipline - Watanabe switches between a 9000C and 9000I based on if he's playing MD or XD.

I ask as I see myself playing all three disciplines, but not equally:
    50% MD
    40% XD
    10% MS

And as I've used the 88s for the longest time. As I've gotten stronger (physically/technically) I've gotten to learn the 88s' strengths and its weaknesses. One ofthem being I desire a bit more power when playing XD, but ESPECIALLY playing MS.

The desire for me to consider a new racket really started when I saw the new 88s and d pro. I'm attracted to both:

1. The 88s pro because it seems faster than the 88s with similar power output, which would be amazing for MD.
    2. The 88d pro because it seems to be much faster than the original, with again similar power output.

So I've been debating with myself if I should get a 88d pro to cover XD and MS, or to get a 88s pro which should be quicker to adjust to...

2. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Depend on each condition i think.
    If you are serious player that play badminton for works like all the pro's, using single the same racket are the best. Even a pro need time to adapt with new racket. Like what he daddy's did when switching to Victor Ars100. Both didnt show beautifull play like the old days. Tho it can be argued as they stop playing for quite a while due to Covid, but at least now they change to TKF. With the same racket you basically get constant performance from a racket you use & familiar with & you just need to get yourself fit & ready for any fight. Think if you had a bad day or not 100% fit & then add a different racket that you need to adapt with. That would frustate you even more.

Different story for someone like me who are just casual club player & on some occasion join in my company yearly tournament. I play with any racket & even if its makes me losing point while im adapting, its just a games. I didn lose money/prize from it. Currently i own
    1. my old friend Lining UC5000. Use this one when im out of battery but my beginner friend insist me to play with coz no one want to play. This are my lazy racket.
    2. My main weapon Victor TK770HTi. If i play serious with skilled opponent, i will unsheat this sword to slay them.
    3. AVP. Not my fav, bad purchase i guest due to the hype. But still sometimes i will use them when i play with the beginner member just to trolling around trying some trick.
    4. Nope i just own 3 but hopefully Wucht P8 would join me in the next few week. Got good deal, a new used racket. If next week i can hav a test & like it, most likely it will join my collection.
    so basically i own 3 different racket & i had no problem with it as its just a games for me. I didnt put you career life on it. It still serious games but at most when im losing & we are betting, i just need to buy the winner a nice cold refreshing drink & thats it.

That my tought, hope that help.

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    You have to try it out for yourself. Mind you, it’s probably not just the racquet but the grip size and string tension that you might find you have a different preference for. I prefer slightly larger grip for singles.

LenaicM likes this.
  4. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    I see. And I def can see that. In singles I do prefer more stability, and less twitch so I could see myself wanting a thicker grip.

For better or for worse, I have bought a 88s pro. I'll see if I like it or not. I'm thinking I want to enhance my strengths, and I'll train to round out my weaknesses (using a smash to compensate poor footwork, etc.)

Cheung likes this.
  5. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    Update: I now use ax88s pros for doubles and an ax99(trying to, lol. Def need better technique and physical to unlock its full potential) for singles/XD.

it def works, am just now thinking of like my training split now. Should I train 50/50 singles or doubles? How much overlap, etc

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Depends which one you enjoy better. I personally feel it’s easier to adapt from being mainly singles to doubles than learning more doubles and then trying to adapt to singles.

I.e. if you train singles, you can adapt to doubles. Basically, you learn all the correct footwork and court coverage in singles and its really easy to convert to doubles. In fact doubles court coverage feels relatively simple.

If you train doubles, it’s difficult to be a good singles player because you are less able to cover the whole court.

To be honest, because it’s a limited time in the camp, I would focus on singles and doing it well and understanding everything clearly rather than trying to split your time evenly being half way neither here nor there on singles and doubles. You still have to learn drives, net play and mid court defence pushes as part of singles which overlap into doubles.

If you are really into doubles, then why bother playing singles?

7. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    that’s the thing, I’m not sure which I enjoy most as I love all disciplines for different reasons.

MS I get to really test my skill against someone and use deception, physical finesse, etc.

MD is exciting, explosive, and as a front player, I love to make plays.

XD I play with my gf, and it forces me into a diff position I’m not used to but helps me out in the end.

My thoughts was to work on singles only too as I think it better transfers over. And in Korea I’ll get doubles-esque lessons in the morning and night.

however my debate is that if I focus on doubles now, I/me and my gf can more quickly start competing when we go to Korea, be taken more seriously, and overall just have a better time in clubs as they play only exclusively doubles.

I also been watching a lot of the popov’s especially Toma Junior. Who’s currently ranked 33 in MS and 39 in MD at 18/19 I believe. If he can do it, I can do it too, right? Lol

8. akatsuki2104

akatsuki2104 Regular Member

I am fully agree with Cheung. I think it will be much more beneficial for you to focus on singles.
    As you will improve your footwork, you will also improve your speed in MD and XD.
    As for the racket, I would say play with the most comfortable one. I play mainly with the ax99 4u and I am a front court player. There is so much to learn technics wise that can cover the overall spec of the racket.

precrime3 likes this.
  9. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    Yeah for sure. footwork is most fundamental so I think if my coach asks i will tell them that I while I do play all types, I want to focus on singles footwork and that should give them enough perspective.

And wow AX99 as a front player? I use 4U too but still feel it’s super slow in some rallies that are flat - just train more to keep up I guess?

10. akatsuki2104

akatsuki2104 Regular Member

Haha yeah, keeping the racket up, beeing ready as fast as possible + with more experiences, better reading of the game. But the ax99 is too stiff for me. I can't get all the benefits of the racket. It's just that I love the balance and don't like to have another racket just for singles/doubles.
    I've just got the 88D Game which is medium stiff. I had 1 session with it and I like it so far

precrime3 likes this.
  11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

If you train singles and then play doubles in Korea, I don’t think you will have any problems about being taken seriously (this is assuming you have learnt the techniques well)

I don’t know about other countries but in HK, we have the philosophy of learning singles first if you are young enough and physically able.. Why? Because singles training encompasses all the fundamentals that you need for badminton.

precrime3 and akatsuki2104 like this.
  12. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    Yeah I’m a big fan of the 88s and the pros now but the 99 has great balance too tbh… if yonex releases a 99 pro with kento I’ll probably fanboy and get that

Yeah I’m sold lol, guess I’ll work on singles lol. However, now the problem is using which racket?

I also brought a 150g training racket with me. Guess this is a question should ask my coach but my thinking is I use be using the 99 as much as possible - the astrox 88s pro is an easier and more forgiving racket to use in comparison

akatsuki2104 likes this.
  13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

AX99 4U should be fine. When you practice a lot more, you’ll probably give up on the other racquets.

Your problem is that you have only one of them when a string breaks. I would anticipate you eventually deciding to get another two AX99 4U because it is very annoying to change racquet model in the middle of a routine when a string breaks. Mind you, it depends how OCD you are but if you have decided to take 3 months out to train, i reckon you must be pretty OCD. :)

precrime3 likes this.
  14. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A

I’ll probably end up buying a second one, you’re right. I don’t think I’ll give up the 88s pros, as I do love the speed they offer. Guess that will just be a personal decision I need to make haha.
    OCD? Not really. I just lost my wallet 10 minutes before flying out to Bangkok so it’s somewhere in Qatar’s airport lol. More like young, had an opportunity, and fortunate lol

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

don’t worry about being taken seriously. If your techniques are good, then you’ll be taken more seriously straight away.

Having good singles footwork and good court coverage will make your ability to transition between singles and mixed fairly effortless.

Besides, you can get doubles coaching really easily in Korea if you felt you needed it.

precrime3 likes this.
  16. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    This was pretty much my thinking, but it feels really good to get affirmation about the same thing so that's what I'll do!

PS Cheung: I know you're keeping up with my journey in Thailand, expect an update soon. Typing this update from my room at the school! Already saw Intanon earlier - she's prettier in person haha

visor and Cheung like this.
  17. Signature

Signature Regular Member

Personally I don't understand this forums obsession with having multiple different rackets. How will you get consistent if you change the racket-variable everytime? I would also be careful with the 150g training racket, it will be easy to strain your shoulder with the increased playing time in the camp as is w your current racket.

Wish you the best of luck at the training camp in Thailand :)

18. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A

For me, it's because I'm a 22 year old kid that just got his first big boy job and have so much disposable income even after saving 25-50% of in crypto/stocks and badminton is like my only hobby lol

Sumanth99, Cheung and Signature like this.
  19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Looking forward to the details! You'll be updating training in one of your other threads, right?

precrime3 likes this.
  20. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    Yes that’s correct - also keeping a vlog series so I’ll link those too