Singapore's First Badminton Carnival?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Loh, Jun 13, 2004.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    :)

Calling all Singapore BFers:

How do you like to be involved in organizing our first Badminton Carnival?
    Spacerooster was in touch with me and proposed this idea which I find rather interesting and challenging if as many of our Singapore badminton fanatics can participate actively.

Below is the PM reply I gave to Spacerooster and he suggested to throw it open to all our Singapore BFers:

Hey Spacerooster

I like your "Badminton Carnival" (for Singapore) idea very much and maybe young badminton fanatics like yourself and the Mongoose family can find sometime to sit, meet, discuss and put down your ideas on paper and make a proposal to the SBA. I will be most willing to help but do remember, I'm a senior citizen.

The SBA, with a full time staff, will perhaps be in a better position to do the necessary admin and leg work and with the SBA network and connections, I think this carnival will be a great success, especially when it is held during the long school holidays, like in December, in a big, open-air park like the West Coast Park.

We can have many stalls. Some will sell badminton-related products apart from the usual tid-bits and refreshment stalls. Second hand goods, like rackets, videos and VCDs (past matches), posters and books on badminton, etc, can be exchanged either for cash or in kind.

Games stalls, including video games on badminton if available, 7-point matches (with many courts on grass), coaching clinics each specializing in a different stroke execution, prizes, etc, oh - I'm sure you guys will be able to think of many more interesting things. And if we have Cheers behind us, we should succeed very well indeed.

This will be a "first" for Singapore and we will be able to recruit many more new faces to our badminton fraternity! And badminton will become more popular here and this will provide the necessary support to produce great players, apart from our very successful Ronald Susilo.

I will be most glad to liaise with the SBA if you guys are serious and excited enough to carry out this unique project "Singapore's First Badminton Carnival"!

Cheers
    Loh

What do you all think? :) :p :D

2. Amateur

Amateur Regular Member

Adminstrator
    A very exciting idea :rolleyes: I will definitely go and support it.

3. Fook90

Fook90 Regular Member

Student
    Go for it !!!

I am very supportive of this idea. I am confident that many badminton enthusiasts in Singapore would turn up for this.
    Btw are you a member of the SBA ?

4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Thank you for your expression of support.

I hope I did not disappoint you if I said I'm not a member of the SBA Management Committee or a SBA official. Just like you, I'm interested in the game. :)

5. |R|S

|R|S Regular Member

Student
    it's a very interesting new idea indeed!

but one thing i noticed,
    to have it in a field and to play 7point games on grass? i think in the glaring afternoon sun, one just need to serve high and he can win the point outright! :p

6. IamAbeginner

IamAbeginner Regular Member

Student
    Wow! Does that mean I have a chance to win if I serve high? Then I would have win in a badminton game if I served first(That is a first for me since I always find myself on the losing end.:eek: No big surprise, I am a beginner.:( )! That would make me so happy!:p

7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    :)
    Your opponent may be wise enough to wear his sunglasses, In fact you can have a competition for the most attractive and original badminton fashion wear. So participants can come in best their outfits in various shapes, colours, sizes and designs!

There could be differently configured courts to play 7, 9 or 15 points and there could also be a knockout competition starting with 7 points and graduating to 15. Tall participants can play in special courts with a higher net height and shorter courts to make it very difficult for them since not only will they have to contend with the sun but also the wind as well!

"Badminton station" in the form of skills testing and games can cater to both young and old.

And to give it a carnival atmosphere, we ought to have colourful balloons of various shapes and sizes with the portraits of popular international players like Lin Dan, Xia Xuanze (HongHong will sure to come) Peter Gade, Carmilla Martin, Xie Xingfang, Gong Ruina, Taufik Hidayat, Sony Kuncoro, Boonsak, Wong Choong Hann, Hafiz, JR & Lars, etc. A giant shuttlecork balloon will sure to add the right atmosphere. Also, a competition to make the most outlandish shuttle bird will also be interesting apart from a drawing competition for the kids on the badminton game.

Oh, I'm sure young people can think of lots more interesting things! :p