Singapore Women's Team Asian Games Performance

Discussion in 'Asian Games 2006 - Badminton' started by Loh, Dec 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jurong_twister

jurong_twister Regular Member

None
    I believe the main argument whether we should call them Singaporeans or Indonesian/Chinese imported shuttlers. :crying:

It comes to this point, because somebody isnt happy with the term Indonesian/Chinese imported shuttlers. However, as stated earlier on, Singapore TV/News coverage were still calling others "Bahrain Kenyan imported sprinters" during Asian Games.

So, it's not wrong for us (the public) to call them Indonesian/Chinese imported shuttlers.

Case closed and let's move on.

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Cheaters must be Exposed

Yes, I agree with Storkbill that age verification should be done more indepth, in greater detail, especially when there is any indication that the player appears older for his declared age.

Cheating should not be condoned just because one wants to win. In the true spirit of sportsmanship, we should send a this signal to players who bring disrepute to the game.

3. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    No I don't think this is the main argument.

The main argument is on the importing of foreign talents, from any country who may not have a chance to develop to their full potential in their own country for various reasons.

Some host countries, like Singapore, are willing to take the risk to adopt foreign talents and invest in their development. These host countries hope the foreign talents can not only bring honour to the country but also raise its own standards and create an on-going interest in the game which may inspire the local talents to turn professional and fill the ranks of the National Teams in time to come.

We don't call them by the names you suggested, maybe out of jealousy or other reasons because some of our foreign imports, who later became Singapore citizens by choice, have made good and win international badminton titles, big or small and are able to assimilate into local society. They are far better off remaining in their home countries where they are not treasured for their abilities and rewarded accordingly.

Just as we don't think it is appropriate to call a Chinese now residing in Indonesia a "China-export-Chinese-Indonesian". We simply acknowledge him as Indonesian and if we want to be more explicit, we can elaborate further that he is an Indonesian of Chinese descent, because his forefathers came from China. We call Americans, Americans. We don't discriminate them as Chinese Americans, Indonesian Americans, etc, etc. If we want to short-cut, we may "perhaps" say to close friends that his is an American-Chinese or an American-Indonesian, simply because we should honour the host country's name first and not the other way round.

The main point is try not to discredit what a host country has done for the 'foreign import' or to cast the host country in bad light.

4. jurong_twister

None
    Is that so? then, why are all the badminton team & table tennis team still consist 95% of imported shuttlers after more than 1/2 decade? A failure? YES.

You can call that to my Grand Father, because that what he is. He still shows his love for his country of origin even after living in Indonesian since 1942. I am the third generation. I was born in Indonesia. That's why I shall be faithful & bear allegiance to my country no matter how bad it is.

What is wrong with calling Indonesian/Chinese IMPORTED shuttlers? No matter how you re-word it to a better word "foreign talent"
    , why cant you accept THE FACT that they are IMPORTED shuttlers.

5. jurong_twister

None
    What happen to those foreign talent that DO NOT want to take the citizenship? Where are they now? If that is the main objective, Shouldnt they be still in the national team?

6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    That's why I said you have a rather myopic view.

I personally believe that our foreign talent scheme has succeeded for badminton and will continue to make contributions to fulfilling Singapore's plans and ambitions.

You may not think it significant, but I think Ronald Susilo, Kendrick Lee, Li Li, Jiang Yanmei, Li Yujia, Hendri Supatra and Xing Aiying have in various events put Singapore on the world badminton map when they win individual and team titles.

This particular thread on "Singapore Women's Team Asian Games Performance" is my way of acknowledging that our women's team had succeeded when many thought we could not. Our ladies from wherever they were before, had made Singapore proud.

Imagine, much stronger badminton countries like Indonesia, Thailand and Malaysia were unable to win a women's team medal at the Doha Asian Gemes, but Singapore got a bronze. When our women's team won a place in the finals of the Uber Cup at the expense of some stronger Asian countries, it was unheard of. Of course, now the rest of the world has woken up to the fact that tiny Singapore can play badminton too!

These foreign talents have made a huge difference to the badminton scene in Singapore. They are role models to our talented young and have inspired many more school children to take up the game. Yes they serve as a foundation to the further development of the game here.

So much so that our government and our Sports Council have decided to invest further in badminton as one of the few core Olympic games that can produce Olympic medals. This accouncement was made only recently after Singapore's 8 gold medal success at the recent Doha Asian Games.

Yes, it has taken Singapore Badminton a long time to arrive at this stage, which I consider just past Foundation Stage, still early days indeed for it to grow. I don't expect too much in the next 2 to 3 years as you tried to instigate. Our Sports School is only about 3 years' old, our first real batch of a handful of local talents only started turning professional last year, so how ambitious can one be? We need more numbers, we need more to join the SS and we are waiting anxiously for the SS to provide us with local talents to be trained to represent Singapore. The last bit has not even started yet. So be patient, more reasonable and more realistic.

Just because Indonesia has so many local talents that it need not import foreign players does not give you the right to deride other countries who may not be so well endowed. As a badminton fan, you should encourage more interaction among countries and players so that we will have a more vibrant and exciting badminton industry that will raise standards all round.

I don't wish to discriminate against foreign talents by giving them different names just as I don't wish to call you Chinese Indonesian. I like to accord our citizens as Singaporeans or Singapore players.

7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Frankly, this is a free country. If one feels that one is better off residing elsewhere, it is his choice.

You are asking very personal questions for which you should not expect an answer. You should satisfy yourself by confronting those people in question. I can't answer for them.

On a similar note, you should also ask, if you are an Indonesian citizen. why are you in Singapore? Maybe some of their reasons may be similar to yours.

8. jurong_twister

None
    http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/printfriendly/0,4139,83071,00.html

http://info.channelnewsasia.com/bb/viewtopic.php?p=656972&sid=88bd3ebd6fa42b7f187ac04 f21212f55

You may want to spend more time reading newspaper and local forums.

I dont bother much when someone is calling me Chinese Indonesian, because that's the truth. The same way as in IMPORTED shuttlers, because that is the truth as well.

No, I dont. You keep narrating a story that foreign talent is introduced for the benefit of the public. So, they will be more interested in badminton, etc bla bla bla. If that's the fact, Why there are so many past players who were being terminated after they decide not to take the citizenship?

You can call me Imported Indonesian Skilled Resident, because that's the fact.

I am not as narrow-minded as you. Why is it so difficult to acknowledge that they are in FACT the IMPORTED shuttlers.

9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Develping badminton in Singapore is for both the public including the school children, the badminton fraternity as well as for the country, not the public alone. The country's citizens must have something to look forward to, to bond themselves, to identify with and to make them feel proud. Winning medals at important competitions such as the Olympic, Asian, Commonwealth and SEA Games is one of the ways to achieve this objective.

There is nothing wrong with imported players if we think they can help us achieve certain objectives as I have ennumerated on several occasions. Singapore is a country of imports and exports, we have been an entrepot for ages, so this is nothing new. What I take offence to is the way you try make our foreign talents look as though they are cheap, unwanted, second class, even traitors to their own country should they beat their ex-countrymen, someone whom you can ridicule at will. So it is not a "narrow-minded" difficulty to acknowledge the fact.

Why do we need to import foreign talents? Precisely because we need them to help us raise our own standards so that we can compete with the rest of the world. If a foreign talent cannot help us to do this, if he or she is unwilling to become a citizen to represent the country because certain important events like the Olympics only permit citizens to play, then why should Singapore continue to invest in and develop them? We should choose someone who is more willing.

If you are a true patriot, you should remain in your own country to impart your skills and help your own people to develop and grow.

#49 Loh, Jan 10, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2007
  10. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    I really see this discussion going no where. Without taking sides or stirring the pot further, I suggest both to just end the discussion or perhaps this will be another thread locked?

TBBMBB(N)

11. jurong_twister

None
    Get me the fact. In which section, did I post such comment???

As I have stated earlier on, why do they terminate those who are unwilling to take the citizenship if that's their main objective? It just doesnt make sense. Why do they have to be a citizen?

Because I am an Imported Skilled Resident. That's what I am getting paid for. I acknowledge it unlike you who is persistent with your myopic view.

12. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I totally agree with you. Thank you. :)

13. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Every nation has its National Pride

Greetings,

You guys have been talking about the short-term effects only.

I know we are talking about Singapore and Badminton... But we can open it up and talk about ANY country and ANY sport.

When a country wants to do well in Badminton, the Manangement of Badminton in that country has this in mind, like.... "Let us bring in some expertise/skill from other countries that are doing well in Badminton".

So, it could be players and/or coaches that they need, but they will have to pay for their services.

But that Management has a long-term goal. And they would say, "Once the performance of our own talent pool is strong enough, we can stop our recruitments from overseas".

And this is their long-term goal.

And they would tell their own people "Have patience, and let us learn from them... and will be developing our own talent pool as we learning from them".

jurong_twister is implying/assuming that Singapore is just buying players/coaches to do the Glory for Singapore. But, I can assure you that this is not the case. It is only for the short-term "fix-it" solution for the currrent problem/weakness.

Once Singapore can perform well with its own talent pool, Singapore will no longer need to import foreign talents anymore. But how long before this will happen, it will depend on how diligent Singapore works at it.

I don't think Singapore is trying to be dependent on foreign talents forever.

Every nation has its own national pride, and there is no such thing like, "We don't have to grow our own talents, we can just buy them from overseas".

Cheers... chris@ccc

14. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Just my 2 cents & a bit off topic-To an extent...

..(sorry guys, if my post doesn't relate exactly to the thread, mostly in effect to the recent posts) but just want to comment on this..
    Actually this is quite true also to the U.S. Sure there are only a few, frankly, a handful of those "imported" professionals players in the U.S. But, IMO, getting foreign talents(in any sport, may it be soccer, gymnastics etc.) esp. to help a country like the U.S. is welcomed very much.
    Case in point, U.S.(OCBC) hired Tony Gunawan & his wife, and recently Halim Haryanto, to work for them. And I'm sure the Canadians are ecstatic to have a player of Kim Dong Moon's calibre coaching there.:cool:
    On whether those "imported" players should be allowed to play for the host country, IMO, i think they should be given the right to play for the host country and do so under the host country's name. Of course, if that player has been given the necessary & legal clearance(s) to represent the host country.
    On the nationality's naming-convention, for example in the U.S., basically a melting pot or some would say a "hodge podge" country full of different ethnicities, once a person(born outside the U.S. or to a non-U.S. parents) has been granted naturalization to become a citizen of the U.S., that person automatically becomes an American.

#54 ctjcad, Jan 10, 2007
  15. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Thank you chris and ctjcad for your views.

16. jurong_twister

None
    chris@ccc

My point is: You dont beat around the bush. No matter how good you re-word the term, the FACT will still be the TRUTH. When you acknowledge the fact, people will be more than willing to accept it.

17. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Since you are so insistent, just look back to what you have posted, starting with your first post, which I repeat as follows

QUOTE=jurong_twister]singapore TVs called Bahrain, Qatar and Kuwait sprinter

"Kenyan imported citizen"

shouldnt we call the shuttlers?

"Chinese imported citizen"

There wont be any benefit with foreign import players. Look at the badminton, where are all the real Singaporean after more than 4-5 years?

Didnt most secondary schools complain regarding Monfort's foreign player scheme last year?

Foreign coach & foreign player are totally two different matters.[/QUOTE]

You have the intention from the very start to pass snide remarks on foreign imports in general and on Singapore's foreign talents from China in particular. You tried to prove your point by describing the unhappiness in our schools which I said is only a passing phase. It is good that ctjcad gave his positive views on foreign imports for the US and what ethnicity means.

You went on to say that foreign imports would not help our cause, which I disagreed and gave you my reasons. You said Singapore can rely on its own local talents and quoted the success of our sailors. But I explained that sailing and badminton are not the same in Singapore but even in sailing we need the services of foreign coaches. Chris has expanded it further to make it clearer for you - the short term and long term goals and how these could be achieved because your view is too shortsighted.

You kept on repeating that Singapore has no local born talents in the National Team even though we have foreign imports to help us; in other words you are trying to discredit our policies and plans as being ineffective but I explained to you that it is still too early to expect results. But the results will surely come - it is a matter of time.

You are not happy and brush off my replies as "beating about the bush".
    In fact you are the one who is beating about the bush for you are harping on the same thing.

And despite the friendly call for stopping this discussion you still return to try to press your redundant views. For your information, you are not strictly contributing within the scope of this topic which is "Singapore Women's Team Asian Games Performance". You only want to take the opportunity to release your inflamed dissatisfaction over foreign imports for whatever reasons you may harbour.

#57 Loh, Jan 10, 2007
  18. jurong_twister

None
    You dont beat around the bush. No matter how good you re-word the term, the FACT will still be the TRUTH. When you acknowledge the fact, people will be more than willing to accept it.

You dont beat around the bush. No matter how good you re-word the term, the FACT will still be the TRUTH. When you acknowledge the fact, people will be more than willing to accept it.

19. modious

modious Regular Member

The fact / truth is we're relying on Foreign Talents (FTs) to not only help us win medals, but to raise the standards in S'pore. You can't just dismiss it as a failure now as it is a long term goal. Eventually of course, we'll prefer to rely on Local Talents (LTs) more than FTs.

It's just a policy/plan Singapore has adopted. You won't know whether or not a plan works unless it's implemented. Logically speaking though, it should. Even if it doesn't, at least we've tried. :)

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    5 years is not a very long time for a policy such as this to bear results considering the overall length of time it takes to develop a world class badminton player from the beginning. S'pore has also the difficulty of the parental and schooling emphasis on academic achievements which outweigh sporting interests.

Since most of the issues on FT has been covered, this thread will be closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.