Singapore Sports Scene

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Loh, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    'I'M STILL HERE, I'VE STILL GOT IT"
    Her legs are a whir, her heart thumping like a drum, her eyes fixed on the finish line.

At the My Dinh Stadium in Hanoi, along the final stretch of the 200m race, Pereira is ahead.

To her left, a Filipino opponent gains on her, but the Singaporean is not letting this one slip away. Not today.

[​IMG]
    Gold medalist Pereira Veronica Shanti of Singapore celebrates with the national flag after the women's 200M run in the Athletics competition during 31st Southeast Asian Games (SEA Games 31) in Hanoi, Vietnam Saturday, May 14, 2022. (AP Photo/Minh Hoang)
    Personal best. National record. Gold medal.

The 18-year-old with the blue glitter hairband is gone. There’s no exuberant waving to the crowd, no gleeful smile of joy.

Instead, the 25-year-old is floored. Exhaustion, disbelief and the sheer magnitude of what she has done overwhelm her.

"I told myself before the finals that no matter what the result is, I'm going to give 100 per cent. Everything I have, physically, mentally, emotionally. Everything," Pereira explained.

Her message - not just to others, but also to herself - rang loud and clear.

"I’m still here, I’ve still got it," she said. Days later, Pereira would add another medal to her tally, a silver in the 100m.

Even till today, what she achieved at the Games still hasn't fully sunk in. And isn't just about the victory or the timing, but the "breakthrough", she explained.

"I put in a lot of hard work and sacrifice to be able to make that breakthrough," she explained. "This wasn't the first time where I wanted to do that. I wanted to do this for a really long time. The fact that I actually did it is quite amazing to me."

Pereira's coach Luis Cunha said he was confident in Pereira's ability to perform the way she did.

"(With the performance at the SEA Games) she showed herself that she was able to clock the times. But she also knew what I told her (previously) - that she can do it," he said.

"Now she can confirm my thoughts with the performance. I hope that this allows her to go further and continue to improve this season."

[​IMG]
    Shanti Pereira poses with her SEA Games gold medal. (Photo: SportSG/Jeremy Lee)
    A NEW CHAPTER
    Being able to continue with the same mindset remains a work in progress, noted Pereira.

"It's still a process. I learned from what I did at the SEA Games, and I want to continue doing that. But it's still hard."

And she will aim to build on this, with the Commonwealth Games and the World Athletics Championships still to come later this year.

"It took so much out of me to be able to have that mindset, so I just want to learn from it and continue with this mindset," Pereira added.

Pereira has yet to to have a discussion with Cunha on her specific goals for these meets. But she already knows, at the very least, she wants to bring down her times.

"I want to go faster (than I did at the SEA Games), for sure. And I feel like I can. That's the goal. Just do whatever I can in the next few months to try and hopefully go faster for both the 100m and 200m."

Related:

[​IMG]
    Shanti Pereira and Marc Brian Louis win silver and bronze at SEA Games in respective 100m events

After Pereira's first Games gold, her older sisters Valerie and Shobi were inspired to write a children’s book to tell the story of her journey and triumph.

Entitled “Go Shanti! Go”, the book was published in 2020 and aimed to inspire the next generation of sporting heroes.

"After I won the 200m, my sisters told me that a lot of people (who had bought the book previously) picked it up again. They revisited it, so that was nice," said Pereira.

I ask her if there are plans for a sequel to commemorate her victory in Vietnam.

“Everybody asks me that!” she replied. “I don’t know, it’s up to my sisters, I was just the inspiration (for it).”

Book or no book, Pereira’s exploits have inspired Singapore once again.

On the track in 2022, she has flipped the page and written a new chapter. It is one penned with blood, sweat and tears, and is no less spellbinding.

Source: CNA/mt(ac)

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Singapore qualify for FIFAe Nations Cup Final for second year running

[​IMG]
    Muhd Zahin Ilmi
    Sports enthusiast and expert overthinker.

Published: 13 June 2022, 1:19 PM

Singapore has earned qualification to the FIFAe Nations Cup Final, after the trio of Muhammad Syakir, Ahmad Sufian, and Amraan Gani won the competition’s Asia and Oceania regional play-offs on Sunday (Jun 12).

This is the second consecutive year in which Singapore has achieved qualification to the international esports competition’s finals.

During the play-ins stage of the competition, Singapore – currently ranked sixth in the world – achieved 15 wins, six draws and seven losses over 28 games played across four weeks.

Singapore were then drawn into the same group as New Zealand (ranked 44th), Korea Republic (28th), Brunei Darussalam (76th) and Vietnam (80th) and finished top with six wins and two draws.

In the winner’s bracket of the competition, Singapore beat Macau (75th) to qualify for the play-offs.

Up against Malaysia (7th), Australia (38th) and Japan (19th), Singapore won all three matches to advance into the final, where they defeated Japan once more.

[​IMG]
    In the FIFAe Nations Cup Finals last year, Singapore only made it to the second chance bracket following a third place finish in the group stage. PHOTO CREDIT: INSTAGRAM/FIFAE

The FIFAe Nations Cup Finals will take place in Copenhagen, Denmark from Jul 27 to Jul 30, where Singapore will compete as the only Southeast Asian country among 24 nations.

A total of US$400,000 (S$556,302) in prizes are up for grabs.

3. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Fencing: Singapore women's foil team clinch joint-bronze at Asian championships
    [​IMG]
    The team, consisting of (from left) Maxine Wong, Amita Berthier, Denyse Chan and Cheung Kemei, won their first medal in the event since 2010. PHOTO: FENCING SINGAPORE
    [​IMG]

Kimberly Kwek
    UPDATED
    9 HOURS AGO

SINGAPORE - A month after a spectacular haul of medals at the SEA Games in Hanoi, Singapore's fencers enjoyed an impressive outing at the Asian Fencing Championships in Seoul, with the women's foil team clinching a joint-bronze on Tuesday (June 14).

This was the team's first medal in the event since 2010, when Ruth Ng, Tay Yu Ling, Wang Wenying and Cheryl Wong also finished fourth.

"It is a successful progression from SEA Games to the Asian Fencing Championships," said Maxine Wong, who bagged an individual silver and team gold in Vietnam.

"Asian Fencing Championships is a much higher level competition than South-east Asia as there are many strong fencers among China, Japan, and Korea, etc.

"So, us being able to win this medal shows that we can compete with Asia's best."

Wong and teammates Amita Berthier, Denyse Chan and Cheung Kemei had been guaranteed of a bronze medal when they advanced to the semi-finals after beating Hong Kong 45-31 in the table-of-eight bout.

They then lost to eventual champions Japan 45-31 in the semi-finals, before they were beaten 44-35 by South Korea in the third-place bout.

This experience at the Asian Fencing Championships has fuelled the ambitions of the fencers, who are eager to build on the progress they have made since the previous edition of the competition in 2019.

That year, they were knocked out in the quarter-finals after losing 42-41 to Hong Kong.

This year's competition has also offered many valuable lessons, which they are hoping to carry forward as they prepare for the July 15-23 World Fencing Championships in Cairo, Egypt.

"The bout against South Korea was interesting and I think we gave a good fight but their wisdom and experience as a team beat us," said Berthier, who did not take part in the SEA Games because of school commitments.

"However, what it also showed us was that with continued faith and commitment, we can run as hard as the power houses in Asia."

MORE ON THIS TOPIC
    Fencing: Singapore's Amita Berthier named Women's Foil Athlete of the Year in America
    Elle Koh has been fencing since she was 4, can't wait to compete on the big stage

4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Team Singapore women’s hockey team secure qualification for Hangzhou Asian Games in 2023
    Other countries that qualified include Hong Kong, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Indonesia and Sri Lanka.

[​IMG]
    Muhd Zahin Ilmi

Published: 16 June 2022, 5:07 PM

Team Singapore women’s hockey team have secured qualification for the 2023 Hangzhou Asian Games.

This came after a 1-0 win over Hong Kong at the 2022 Asian Games Qualifier tournament which took place in Jakarta, Indonesia on Tuesday (Jun 14).

The women’s team, currently ranked 35th in the world, clinched the bronze medal and ended their campaign in third place out of seven. They managed to secure four wins and suffered only one loss and one draw out of six games.

The only loss came in the team’s inconsequential final game against Kazakhstan (ranked 34th), where they suffered a 2-0 defeat. Both teams had already secured qualification prior to the game, and were competing for second place and the silver medal.

Singapore’s only draw came from their first game of the tournament, where it ended in a goalless tie against Indonesia (ranked 68th).

Singapore then went on to secure four straight wins – 6-0 against Sri Lanka (ranked 73rd), 10-0 against Cambodia (ranked 75th), 2-0 against Uzbekistan (ranked 60th) and 1-0 against Hong Kong (ranked 36th).

Hong Kong eventually went on to win the tournament and secure the gold medal, while Kazakhstan came in just ahead of Singapore in second place and were awarded the silver medal.

Apart from the top three teams of the tournament, Uzbekistan (fourth place), Indonesia (fifth place) and Sri Lanka (sixth place) have also qualified for the 2023 Asian Games taking place in Hangzhou, China next year.

Cambodia, however, missed out on qualification as they came in last place.

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Swimming: Singapore's Teong Tzen Wei finishes 8th at world champs, praised by coach
    [​IMG]
    Teong Tzen Wei's appearance in the championship race made him just the third Singaporean male swimmer to do so in the last four decades. PHOTO: ST FILE
    [​IMG]

David Lee

PUBLISHED
    8 HOURS AGO

Each time Teong Tzen Wei dives into a swimming pool these days, he emerges to find himself in rarefied company.

While he finished eighth in the 50m butterfly final at the Fina World Championships on Sunday (June 19), his appearance in the championship race made him just the third Singaporean male swimmer to do so in the last four decades.

Ang Peng Siong had finished fourth in the 50m freestyle in Madrid in 1986, while Joseph Schooling clinched bronze medals in the 100m fly in Russia in 2015 and in Budapest two years later.

Teong, 24, swam 23.29sec in last night's race at the Danube Arena. Caeleb Dressel won in 22.57, followed by Nicholas Santos (22.78) and Michael Andrew (22.79).

Teong had earlier set a personal best of 23.03sec in Saturday's semi-final and started the final as the seventh-fastest qualifier and the only Asian representative.

His previous best was 23.04sec, set en route to winning gold at last month's Hanoi SEA Games.

Schooling, 27, still owns the Asian record of 22.93sec, clocked during the semi-finals of the 2017 world meet.

While Schooling's struggles since winning Olympic gold at the 2016 Rio Games have been well documented, his teammate Teong has flourished in recent years.

At the Hanoi SEA Games, he also claimed gold in the 50m free, touching the wall in 21.93sec to become the first South-east Asian man to go below 22sec.

Teong could not be reached before press time on Sunday but national coach Gary Tan was effusive in his praise of the sprinter.

He said: "Tzen Wei has been very focused on his goals in the last couple of years. He has worked very well with his coaches on his progression and his long-term plan. He has also been very diligent about his recovery and he is just not the same athlete he was five years ago.

"Back then, he was just thinking about representing Singapore and SEA Games medals.

"But especially since the Covid-19 pandemic, he took a big turn to make changes to the way he trains, how he focuses on races, and what he needs to work on in terms of deficits, strengths and build on the 1 per cent gainers to become a top swimmer."

In Sunday's women's 1,500m free heats, Gan Ching Hwee, 18, clocked 16min 32.43sec to lower her national record (16:33.54 set at the 2019 Singapore National Age Group Championships).

Gan, who won the 200m, 400m, 800m and 1,500m free at the SEA Games, finished 14th of 26 participants overall. Chile's Kristel Kobrich (16:13.52) was the last to qualify for the eight-strong final.

Gan said: "It's actually been a couple of years since I had a PB in this event and I told myself to take the race out as hard as I could at the beginning and hold on as best as I could as well.

"I didn't change my training that much from SEA Games because of the short runway to this meet but I think the performances of Team Singapore at these world championships have really boosted the overall confidence of the team, myself included."

MORE ON THIS TOPIC
    Swimming: Singapore's Teong Tzen Wei qualifies for World C'ships 50m fly final
    SEA Games: Singapore's Teong Tzen Wei is Asean's first sub-22sec swimmer

6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Photo credit: MADEIRA 2022 LOC
    Yip Pin Xiu clinches second gold medal at Madeira 2022 Para Swimming World Championships | Youthopia

Yip Pin Xiu clinches second gold medal at Madeira 2022 Para Swimming World Championships
    This also marks the national swimmer’s fifth world championship title.

[​IMG]
    Muhd Zahin Ilmi

Published: 20 June 2022, 3:17 PM

Singapore national paralympic swimmer Yip Pin Xiu clinched her second gold medal in the Para Swimming World Championships on Friday (Jun 17) at the S2 Women’s 50m Backstroke event.

She clocked in a timing of 1:03.94 to beat Italy’s Prodica Angela, who came in second place by a margin of 7.48 seconds.

This also marks Pin Xiu’s fifth world championship title. It follows her win in the Women’s 100m Backstroke S2 event last Tuesday, in which she set a new competition record.

Pin Xiu shared: “This campaign was a tough campaign mentally, physically and emotionally, it was a bit rocky. There was this pressure from myself to defend the titles as well.

“I think this campaign was rather successful but at the end of the day I know I want to be faster, I want better times. It’s still about getting there.”

Singapore’s other medal was won from Sophie Soon, who clinched the silver medal at the 100m SB12 Breaststroke event last Wednesday where she set a new Asian record and personal best of 1:25.89.

It also marked Sophie’s first ever world championships medal, and Singapore’s third overall medal of the competition.

Singapore’s quartet of Colin Soon Jin Guang, Sophie Soon Jin Wen, Wong Zhi Wei and Yip Pin Xiu concluded its Madeira 2022 Para Swimming World Championships last Saturday (Jun 18) with six personal bests, two Championship Records and one Asian Record.

The new records and personal bests are:

Yip Pin Xiu – Women’ 100m Backstroke S1-2 championship record (2:15.16); Women’s 50m Freestyle S3 championship record + personal best (1:04.68)

Sophie Soon – Women’s 100m Breaststroke SB12 Asian record and personal best (1:25.89); Women’s 100m Backstroke S12 personal best (1:28.65)

Wong Zhi Wei – Men’s 100m Butterfly S13 personal best (1:04.01); Men’s 400m Freestyle S12-13 person best (4:50.66)

Colin Soon – Men’s 100m Backstroke S12 personal best (1:12.29)

7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Team Singapore break two national records at 2022 FINA World Championships
    The national record for the women’s 1500m freestyle and national u-17 men’s 50m breaststroke record were broken.

[​IMG]
    Muhd Zahin Ilmi

Published: 21 June 2022, 2:50 PM

Two Singapore national records were broken at the 19th FINA World Championships 2022 held at Budapest, Hungary.

Gan Ching Hwee rewrote the national record for the women’s 1500m Freestyle, after clocking in a personal best timing of 16:32.43 in the competition heats on Sunday (Jun 19). She finished 14th place in the event.

The other national record was broken by Nicholas Rui Karsten Mahabir, who set a new national under-17 men’s 50m Breaststroke record and personal best timing of 28.11 on Monday. He finished 25th in the event.

Teong Tzen Wei also became the first Singaporean male swimmer since 2017 to advance to the finals of a FINA World Championships.

Tzen Wei clocked a personal best timing of 23.03 in the 50m Butterfly semi finals on Saturday and was the only Asian to qualify for the finals.

He eventually finished eighth, with a timing of 23.29s in the finals on Sunday.

Apart from Zheng Wei, there have only been two other Singaporean male swimmers who have made it to a world championships final in the last four decades – Ang Peng Siong and Joseph Schooling.

Ang Peng Siong finished fourth in the 50m Freestyle in Madrid in 1986, while Joseph Schooling clinched bronze medals in the 100m Butterfly in Russia in 2015 and in Budapest two years later.

Quah Jing Wen also made it to the semi-finals stage in the women’s 100m Butterfly semi-finals. She finished 16th, with a timing of 59.42. Jing Wen had secured a timing of 59.29 in the heats.

The 19th FINA World Championships 2022 will wrap up on Jul 3.

8. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Singapore women’s football team suffer back-to-back defeats against Hong Kong friendly matches
    Irsalina Irwan, 15, was among the four players who made their senior debuts in the matches.

[​IMG]
    Muhd Zahin Ilmi

Published: 27 June 2022, 1:00 PM

The Singapore women’s football team suffered two consecutive defeats against Hong Kong in the Women’s ‘A’ International Friendlies which took place on Jun 23 and 26 at the Jalan Besar Stadium.

The first encounter between the two teams saw 132nd-ranked Singapore suffer a 0-4 defeat against 78th ranked Hong Kong, with the Lionesses conceding two goals in both halves of the game.

The Lionesses later suffered a narrow 0-1 defeat in the second game. Despite the loss, national team head coach Stephen Ng described that game as “improved and settled” as the team managed to concede only once.

He added: “We came in with a clear game plan and the girls have worked the system. This is good for us going into the AFF Championship.

“(Of course), there are areas to improve on. It is an ongoing thing for football and, as a whole, the two games helped us in (terms of) getting good intensity practices.”

Albirex Niigata’s Irsalina Irwan became the sixth-youngest debutant for the Singapore women’s team, at 15 years old and 173 days.

Three others – Tanjong Pagar goalkeeper Nurul Haziqah Haswan, 19; Still Aerion forward Claire Tay, 20; and Black Rock forward Summer Chong, 18 – were also handed their international debuts during the friendlies series.

The Lionesses will continue preparations for the ASEAN Football Federation (AFF) Women’s Championship 2022 before departing for Manila, Philippines on Jul 1. They will take on Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, Philippines and Australia in Group A of the tournament.

9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Sophie Soon clinches her first Para Swimming World Championship medal at Madeira
    The Singapore swimmer won the silver medal in the 100m Breaststroke SB12 event and set a new Asian record.

[​IMG]
    Muhd Zahin Ilmi

Published: 16 June 2022, 11:25 AM

Singapore national paralympic swimmer Sophie Soon won the Silver medal in the Women’s 100m SB12 Breaststroke event at the Para Swimming World Championships on Wednesday (Jun 15).

This marks Sophie’s first ever medal at the prestigious world championships held in Madeira, Portugal. It is also the second medal Singapore has won in this year’s competition, following Yip Pin Xiu’s gold medal on Tuesday (Jun 14).

Sophie also set a new Asian record of 1:25.89, surpassing her previous timing of 1:29.52 which she achieved in the 2020 Tokyo Paralympics.

Colin Soo, Sophie’s brother and fellow national paralympic swimmer, also competed in the men’s edition of the 100m SB12 Breaststroke event on Jun 15 and came in fourth place out of five with a timing of 1:14.08.

Singapore will continue its campaign in the Madeira 2022 Para Swimming World Championships, with Yip Pin Xiu set to compete next in the Women’s 50m Freestyle S3 on Thursday (Jun 16) and the Women’s 50m Backstroke S1-2 on Friday (Jun 18).

Colin will also make an appearance once more on Jun 18, where he will compete alongside Wong Zhi Wei in the Men’s 400m Freestyle S12-13.

10. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    37 Team Singapore athletes selected to take part in 11th ASEAN Para Games
    The event will take place in Solo, Indonesia from Jul 30 to Aug 6.

[​IMG]
    Nyi Htet
    Captivated by horror and tattoos and horror tattoos.

Published: 23 June 2022, 5:31 PM

Thirty-seven Team Singapore athletes will represent Singapore at the upcoming 11th ASEAN Para Games (APG), announced the Singapore National Paralympic Council (SNPC) on Thursday (Jun 23).

Among them, 17 will make their APG debut. The biannual multi-sports event will take place from Jul 30 to Aug 6 in Solo, Indonesia.

This will mark its return for the first time in five years, with the last edition being the ninth APG which took place in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia in 2017. The last two editions, which were to be hosted by the Philippines and Vietnam, were cancelled.

The oldest competing athlete in this year’s Team Singapore contingent is 57-year-old Tan Kok Leong, who will compete in Para Table Tennis, while the youngest athlete is a 14-year-old swimmer.

Paralympians who competed at the Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games — Nur Syahidah Alim (Para Archery), Muhammad Diroy Noordin (Para Athletics) and Sophie Soon (Para Swimming) — will lend their experience to the contingent as well.

Eight athletes will represent Singapore in Table Tennis, making up the largest team out of the nine sports.

Athletes who have yet to qualify will have until the end of June to meet the selection criteria for the Games, said SNPC.

The contingent will be led by Chef de Mission Mr Low See Lien, who is the Honorary Treasurer of SNPC.

Mr Low said: “We are thoroughly excited that the ASEAN Para Games will be staged and we thank Indonesia for stepping up to the plate to host the games. Our athletes have trained hard and have risen above many challenges over the last few years.

“I appeal to all Singaporeans to rally behind our athletes and to give us that extra lift through their support.”

President of SNPC, Dr Teo-Koh Sock Miang said: “We are confident that our para athletes and officials will fly the Singapore flag high at the Solo 2022 ASEAN Para Games.

“We wish them all the best in the final phase of preparation for the games.”

The ninth APG saw Singapore sending its largest away contingent of 90 athletes. They then went on to deliver the country’s largest away APG haul of 50 medals.

Organisers for this year’s APG are expecting more than 1,600 para athletes from across Southeast Asia to compete during the eight days.

The 37 selected athletes are:

Archery: Lim Qi Mao, Nur Syahidah Alim

Athletics: James Ethan Ang, Maisarah Bte Md Hassan, Muhammad Diroy Noordin, Muhammad Nur Ariq Bin Yaakub, Siti Nurhayati Binte Ali Aksar Khan, Suhairi Bin Suhani

Badminton: Ang Chee Hiong

Boccia: Aloysius Gan Kai Hong, Gareth Ho, Jeralyn Tan, Neo Kah Whye, Toh Sze Ning

Chess: Edwin Tan

Goalball: Christina Aw, Inez Hung, Joan Hung, Norliana Mohamed Ajam, Nurul Natasya Idrus

Powerlifting: Lin Shuangchen

Swimming: Colin Soon Jin Guang, Darren Chan Wei Siang, Fu Ai-lin Nicole, Janelle Tong Jing Xuan, Liauw Thiam Hee Jeremiah, Moi Yan Ting Danielle, Sophie Soon Jin Wen, Wong Zhi Wei

Table Tennis: Caleb Lee Jia Xuan, Claire Toh Shumin, Fong Wei Cheng, Muhammad Dinie Asyraf Bin Huzaini, Mu Yuguang, Tan Kok Leong, Ting Chee Keong Eric, Yeo Kwok Chian Aaron

11. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Football hub set to open at Kallang Alive precinct this year
    The football hub is the first of six facilities to open at the Kallang Alive precinct.

[​IMG]
    Muhd Zahin Ilmi

Published: 28 June 2022, 12:30 PM

The Kallang Football Hub is set to open this year at the Kallang Alive precinct, Sport Singapore (SportSG) announced in a Facebook post last Sunday (Jun 26).

The Kallang Alive precinct, which will surround the Singapore Sports Hub, was announced in 2019 as a 89ha mixed-use lifestyle destination.

[​IMG]
    The precinct is set to feature six new facilities around the sports hub. PHOTO CREDIT: FACEBOOK/MINISTRY OF CULTURE, COMMUNITY AND YOUTH – MCCY

The Kallang Football Hub will feature Singapore‘s first sheltered full-sized synthetic pitch. The pitch will be utilised by school football academies, the ActiveSG Football Academy, and the National team.

Its facilities will also be open to the public for community programmes.

Apart from the football hub, SportSG have also announced that the Kallang Tennis Centre will open next year.

Similar to the football hub, it will also be used as the new National Training Centre for tennis and will serve the ActiveSG Tennis Academy’s home.

It will feature seven indoor and 14 outdoor courts, and will be used to host both large-scale tennis events and community activities.

Four other facilities – the Youth Hub, Kallang Integrated Theatre Development, Benaan Kapal Green and the Alive Loop – are also set to open in the precinct.

The Youth Hub will house urban community sport spaces, including a velodrome, a speed climbing wall and a BMX track.

The existing Kallang Theatre will be redeveloped into an integrated sport, entertainment and lifestyle centre. The new building will be named Kallang Integrated Theatre.

Some of the developments expected for the integrated theatre include a multi-purpose indoor arena capable of hosting esports, sporting and entertainment events, and a themed hotel.

Benaan Kapal Green and the Alive Loop will serve similar purposes as walking, running and cycling trails.

The Benaan Kapal Green will be situated along the Geylang River, and includes event spaces for various community programmes and improved access through park connectors.

As for the Alive Loop, it will be located around the airfield of the old Kallang Airport, and is intended to enhance walkability and connectivity around the Kallang Alive precinct.

While plans for the facilities have been announced, SportSG has yet to unveil the opening dates for the four other facilities at the Kallang Alive precinct.

12. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Singapore to host first Tour de France street race event in Southeast Asia
    [​IMG]Action Images via Reuters
    Mark Cavendish currently has 34 stage wins on the Tour de France.
    Published June 28, 2022
    Updated June 28, 2022
    WhatsAppTelegramFacebookTwitterEmailLinkedIn
    SINGAPORE — Singapore will become the first Southeast Asian country to host a Tour de France criterium event this October.

The Tour de France Prudential Singapore Criterium will take place on a specially designed street circuit in the heart of the city on Oct 29 and Oct 30, said the organisers in a news release on Tuesday (June 28).

It will feature 32 riders from eight of the world’s best professional cycling teams, including decorated British cyclist Mark Cavendish, who holds the joint record for the most Tour de France stage wins (34).

In the Tour de France, elite cyclists compete in a gruelling test as they cover an average of 3,500 kilometres over three weeks in their quest for glory.

"In contrast, the Criterium is a shorter race on a closed circuit, which makes the format more suited to Singapore streets," the release stated.

"The Tour de France Prudential Singapore Criterium race weekend will comprise races for both professionals and amateurs and is expected to reach millions of viewers through a variety of international broadcasters."

Supported by life insurer Prudential Singapore as the event’s title sponsor, the event is being promoted by TEG Sport in conjunction with Evoke EXP.

Said Cavendish, who secured four Tour de France stage wins last year: "A first Tour de France road race in Southeast Asia and a first race for me in this part of the world.

"Cycling has given me so much and is a great part of my life. It’s a privilege for me to do what I love and I’m looking forward to getting out there and to share the adrenaline, excitement and fun that comes with criterium racing.”

On being part of the inaugural Singapore Criterium, Prudential Singapore’s CEO Dennis Tan said: “We decided to promote cycling because it is an accessible and sustainable sport.

"This sponsorship is a great opportunity to encourage people and families from all walks of life to bond while staying healthy and active.”

Singapore Tourism Board, which supports the event, said that the race reinforces Singapore’s position as a leading destination for sports in the region.

Said chief executive Keith Tan: "As we welcome more visitors to Singapore, it is also a timely addition to our exciting calendar of events.” CNA

13. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Singapore move to top of FIFAe Nations Series 2022 rankings
    Singapore is also the only Asian country to feature in the world’s top 10 ranking.

[​IMG]
    Muhd Zahin Ilmi

Published: 29 June 2022, 1:01 PM

Singapore have topped the FIFAe Nations Series 2022 rankings following their win in the competition’s Asia and Oceania regional play-offs earlier in June.

Singapore currently sits in first place out of 86 competing nations with a total of 938.57 points.

Prior to the playoffs, Singapore were in sixth place with 563.57 points.

The points in the playoffs are calculated by multiplying the team’s average points per match up by 75. In the play-ins and main stage, the average points per match up would be multiplied by 25 and 50 respectively instead.

Singapore managed to secure an average of five points per match in the playoffs, which led to the 375 increase in points.

[​IMG]
    Singapore is also the only Asian country to feature in the world’s top 10 ranking. PHOTO CREDIT: FACEBOOK/FIFAE WORLD CUP

The Singaporean trio of Muhammad Syakir, Ahmad Sufian, and Amraan Gani also secured Singapore’s second consecutive qualification to the FIFAe Nations 2022 Cup Finals following their triumph in the playoffs.

The finals will take place in Copenhagen, Denmark from Jul 27 to Jul 30. Singapore is the only Southeast Asian country among 24 nations to compete.

The global rankings will also be finalised after the cup finals as each stage of the competition will award the nations with a fixed set of points.

While those who do not make it past the group stage will only earn 275 points, champions of the competition will earn as much as 1,750 points.

The final ranking will be determined by adding the nation’s current points and the points it secures during the FIFAe Nations 2022 Cup Finals.

14. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    17 new athletes from 8 sports to join 2022 cohort of Sport Excellence Scholarship Programme
    17 new athletes from 8 sports to join 2022 cohort of Sport Excellence Scholarship Programme | Youthopia

The addition of the new athletes will bring the total number of spexScholars to 76 athletes across 24 sports.

[​IMG]
    Muhd Zahin Ilmi

Published: 31 May 2022, 12:52 PM

The Sport Excellence Scholarship (spexScholarship) programme will welcome 17 new athletes from eight sports to its 2022 cohort, Sport Singapore (SportSG) announced on May 31.

For the first time since its launch in 2013, the spexScholarship programme will include a non-Major Games athlete, namely 19-year-old indoor skydiver Kyra Poh.

Following her historic inclusion in the scholarship programme, Kyra said: “I hope to continue doing Singapore proud in competitions, raise awareness of the sport, and be prepared should indoor skydiving become an Olympic sport one day.”

Max Maeder, 16, who was recently crowned as the under-21 Kitefoiling Youth World Champion, will receive the spexScholarship as well.

Max shared that with the support of the spexScholarship, he hopes to “work towards representing Singapore at the 2024 Summer Olympics,” where kiteboarding will make its Olympic debut.

More athletes from team sports will also receive the spexScholarship this year.

Joining their female counterparts, who are existing recipients of the scholarship, is the men’s bowling team. The team consists of Cheah Ray Han, Darren Ong Wei Siong, Muhammad Jaris Goh and Basil Dill Ng Jui Chang.

Six new paddlers from the men’s and women’s table tennis team are also recipients of this year’s spexScholarship. Five of them – Zeng Jian, Goi Rui Xuan, Zhou Jingyi, Clarence Chew Zhe Yu and Koen Pang Yew En – each clinched a medal at the 31st SEA Games. Fifteen-year-old paddler Izaac Quek Yong, the youngest of the 17 newly added athletes, will receive the scholarship as well.

Fencer Kiria Tikanah Abdul Rahman, shuttler Jason Teh, high-jumper Kampton Kam and swimmers Letitia Sim and Ong Jun Yi are also part of the 2022 cohort.

The addition of the 17 new athletes will bring the total number of spexScholars to 76 athletes across 24 sports. At the recent 31st SEA Games, 43 of these athletes managed to clinch at least one medal, with 22 of them winning at least one gold medal.

While there were a total of 49 nominations received by the Singapore Sport Institute (SSI) for the scholarship programme this year, only 17 were selected.

Chairman of the spexScholarship Selection Committee and Chairman of SportSG Kon Yin Tong said: “With several Major Games happening this year, I hope that the increased level of support will motivate them to train hard, meet their performance goals and targets, and bring pride to the nation as one Team Singapore.

“We will also continue to monitor the performances of our other athletes, including several debutants who have achieved outstanding results at the SEA Games, to see how we can better support their sporting aspirations.”

#714 Loh, Jun 29, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
  15. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    17 new athletes from 8 sports to join 2022 cohort of Sport Excellence Scholarship Programme
    The addition of the new athletes will bring the total number of spexScholars to 76 athletes across 24 sports.

[​IMG]
    Muhd Zahin Ilmi

Published: 31 May 2022, 12:52 PM

The Sport Excellence Scholarship (spexScholarship) programme will welcome 17 new athletes from eight sports to its 2022 cohort, Sport Singapore (SportSG) announced on May 31.

For the first time since its launch in 2013, the spexScholarship programme will include a non-Major Games athlete, namely 19-year-old indoor skydiver Kyra Poh.

Following her historic inclusion in the scholarship programme, Kyra said: “I hope to continue doing Singapore proud in competitions, raise awareness of the sport, and be prepared should indoor skydiving become an Olympic sport one day.”

Max Maeder, 16, who was recently crowned as the under-21 Kitefoiling Youth World Champion, will receive the spexScholarship as well.

Max shared that with the support of the spexScholarship, he hopes to “work towards representing Singapore at the 2024 Summer Olympics,” where kiteboarding will make its Olympic debut.

More athletes from team sports will also receive the spexScholarship this year.

Joining their female counterparts, who are existing recipients of the scholarship, is the men’s bowling team. The team consists of Cheah Ray Han, Darren Ong Wei Siong, Muhammad Jaris Goh and Basil Dill Ng Jui Chang.

Six new paddlers from the men’s and women’s table tennis team are also recipients of this year’s spexScholarship. Five of them – Zeng Jian, Goi Rui Xuan, Zhou Jingyi, Clarence Chew Zhe Yu and Koen Pang Yew En – each clinched a medal at the 31st SEA Games. Fifteen-year-old paddler Izaac Quek Yong, the youngest of the 17 newly added athletes, will receive the scholarship as well.

Fencer Kiria Tikanah Abdul Rahman, shuttler Jason Teh, high-jumper Kampton Kam and swimmers Letitia Sim and Ong Jun Yi are also part of the 2022 cohort.

The addition of the 17 new athletes will bring the total number of spexScholars to 76 athletes across 24 sports. At the recent 31st SEA Games, 43 of these athletes managed to clinch at least one medal, with 22 of them winning at least one gold medal.

While there were a total of 49 nominations received by the Singapore Sport Institute (SSI) for the scholarship programme this year, only 17 were selected.

Chairman of the spexScholarship Selection Committee and Chairman of SportSG Kon Yin Tong said: “With several Major Games happening this year, I hope that the increased level of support will motivate them to train hard, meet their performance goals and targets, and bring pride to the nation as one Team Singapore.

“We will also continue to monitor the performances of our other athletes, including several debutants who have achieved outstanding results at the SEA Games, to see how we can better support their sporting aspirations.”

AddThis Sharing Buttons
    Share to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to PrintPrintShare to MoreMore3

16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Swimming: New SSA president Mark Chay says goal is for sport to maintain No. 1 spot
    [​IMG]
    New SSA president Mark Chay (fourth from right) will head a 10-man executive committee. ST PHOTO: ARIFFIN JAMAR
    [​IMG]

David Lee

PUBLISHED
    JUN 29, 2022, 11:24 PM SGT

SINGAPORE - A new but familiar face will lead one of Singapore's biggest sports for the next two years, as nominated member of parliament and former national swimmer Mark Chay was elected unopposed as president of the Singapore Swimming Association (SSA) on Wednesday night (June 29).

He takes over the reins from outgoing chief Lee Kok Choy, who is stepping down after serving the maximum four two-year terms.

Chay will head a 10-man executive committee which consists of five vice-presidents, three of whom were re-elected, and four other new members.

After the SSA annual general meeting at the Black Box Auditorium on Wednesday, the 40-year-old reiterated his team's desire to expand the base of Singaporeans taking part in aquatic sports, cut down on the attrition rate, and enable clubs to flourish.

He said: "We should be consultative, and it's really important as well to understand what the objectives are from a national perspective. At the end of the day, we need to do what is right by the swimmers and the fraternity."

Veteran sports administrator Lee advised Chay to "continue to treat dissenting views with respect", but cautioned that the new team should not be hampered by attempts to please everyone.

Thanking the various stakeholders for their support over the last 16 years in which he also served as SSA vice-president (diving) and secretary general, the 70-year-old told The Straits Times he is looking forward to spend more time with his four grandkids, and is "satisfied" with what he has accomplished during this tenure.

These include building and improving the capabilities of the SSA sports administration, technical expertise and financial structure to support the various aquatic sports.

In the pool, there was a historic high as Joseph Schooling delivered Singapore's first Olympic gold at Rio 2016, and the Republic also made its debut in diving and open-water swimming at Tokyo 2020. There were also numerous national records and breakthrough SEA Games gold medals for artistic swimming.

But there were also several lows, such as the high-profile departures of former national swimming head coach Stephan Widmer, who left prematurely in October 2021.

More recently, several affiliates were unhappy with the SSA's announcement to open a second National Training Centre (NTC) at the Singapore Sports School, as they felt there was a lack of consultation in a move that would deprive them of their best athletes.

[​IMG]
    While the newly elected team will try and build on Lee's legacy, Chay is not about to compete with his predecessor.

He said: "The circumstances and things Kok Choy and his team had to address when he took over in 2014 are vastly different from today. They have achieved a lot with the volunteers and affiliate and we are building on this foundation."There really is no need to compare with him. What we need to do is do what's right with the current circumstances for the fraternity to ensure that swimming remains the No. 1 sport in Singapore."

MORE ON THIS TOPIC
    Swimming: SSA opens second National Training Centre at Sports School
    Swimming: SSA revamps national c'ship to increase competitive opportunities for athletes
    SSA executive committee (2022-2024)
    President: Mark Chay*

Secretary general: Kenneth Goh*

Treasurer: Yeo Kai Eng*

Vice-president (partnerships): Ow Yong Weng Leong*

Vice-president (swimming): Ng Cheng Xun*

Vice-president (water polo): Dominic Soh

Vice-president (diving): Wendy Lim

Vice-president (artistic swimming): Steve Chew

Assistant secretary general (swimming): Chan U-Nice*

Assistant secretary general (water polo): Leonard Yeo*

*new members

MORE ON THIS TOPIC
    S'pore Swimming Association, Ajinomoto Singapore renew sponsorship deal till 2023
    SEA Games: PM Lee says country is proud of Team Singapore's impressive show in Hanoi

17. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Clarence Chew wins 3 gold medals at the Southeast Asian Table Tennis Championships in Thailand
    Clarence Chew wins 3 gold medals at the Southeast Asian Table Tennis Championships in Thailand | Youthopia

He won a gold medal in all of his events.

Ernest Cheng
    Published: 29 June 2022, 3:40 PM

Singapore national team paddler Clarence Chew won three gold medals at the recently concluded Southeast Asian (SEA) Table Tennis Championships in Bangkok, Thailand.

The tournament commenced last Thursday (Jun 23), and the 26-year-old’s first gold medal came when he partnered teammate Zeng Jian to defeat Thailand’s Phakpoom and Orawan 3-2 in the mixed doubles category.

He also clinched the men’s doubles gold medal with Ethan Poh as the duo notched a 3-2 win over fellow countrymen Pang Koen and Izaac Quek, who took home the silver medal.

On Tuesday (Jun 28), he defeated Vietnam’s Nguyen Anh Tu 3-2 in the singles category for his third gold medal.

Team Singapore finished with a total of three gold, two silver and six bronze medals at the tournament.

The South East Asian Table Tennis Championships is a biennial tournament organised by the Asian Table Tennis Union (ATTU) and South East Asian Table Tennis Association (SEATT).

Singapore is currently the most successful country in the history of the tournament, having won more medals than any country since its first edition in 1998.

18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Singapore men’s U19 football squad for AFF Boys Championship announced
    Eight out of the 26 players represent Young Lions at club level.

Ernest Cheng
    Published: 30 June 2022, 2:54 PM

Twenty-six players have been called up to the final Singapore men’s under-19 national football team’s squad for the upcoming ASEAN Football Federation (AFF) Boys Championships 2022.

The tournament will be held in Jakarta, Indonesia from Saturday (Jul 2) till Jul 15. Singapore were drawn into Group B, alongside Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia and Timor Leste.

Among the 26 players, eight hail from Singapore Premier League side Young Lions. This includes forward Khairin Nadim, who featured in all four games during the recent 31st Southeast Asian Games in Vietnam.

Lion City Sailors’ (LCS) under-21 team is the next most represented with seven players, followed by their under-18 team Mattar Sailors with four players.

Two players from Albirex Niigata were also selected, along with one each from Hougang United, Tanjong Pagar United, Balestier Khalsa, Geylang International and Tampines Rovers.

Most of the players will depart for Indonesia on Jun 30 with the exception of Tampines forward Muhamad Ali Manaf and Hougang goalkeeper Aizil Yazid, who will join the team on Jul 2 after their respective clubs’ Asian Football Confederation Cup (AFC) campaigns.

The provisional under-19 squad had linked up for a training camp from May 30 to Jun 14, as well as centralised training from Jun 20 before the final squad selection was made, said the Football Association of Singapore. The team will be led by head coach Fadzuhasny Juraimi.

The full squad list is as follows:

Goalkeepers: Aizil Yazid (Hougang United), Firman Faizal (Mattar Sailors FC), Karan Sobti (Tanjong Pagar United), Rauf Erwan (Young Lions)

Defenders: Aqil Yazid (Balestier Khalsa FC), Aniq Raushan (Lion City Sailors U21), Danial Crichton (Young Lions), Fairuz Fazli (Young Lions), Farid Jafri (Mattar Sailors FC), Junki Yoshimura (Albirex Niigata), Kieran Teo (Geylang International), Raoul Suhaimi (Young Lions), Syafi Hilman (Lion City Sailors U21)

Midfielders: Amir Rashid (Young Lions), Asis Ijilral (Mattar Sailors FC), Glenn Ong (Lion City Sailors U21), Hilman Norisham (Albirex Niigata), Izafil Yusof (Mattar Sailors FC), Ryu Hardy (Young Lions)

Forwards: Ali Manaf (Tampines Rovers), Ilyasin Zayan (Lion City Sailors U21), Irfan Iskandar (Young Lions), Khairin Nadim (Young Lions), Kieran Aryan (Lion City Sailors U21), Sham Mohamed (Lion City Sailors U21), Zakaria Syari (Lion City Sailors U21)

19. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Bowling: S'pore record best showing at Under-21 World C'ships with four golds and a bronze
    [​IMG]
    (From left) Ryan Toh, Ning Tay, Joyan Khoo, Quek Lu Yi, Eugene Yeo, Colleen Pee, Mike Ong and Arianne Tay with their medals. PHOTO: SINGAPORE BOWLING FEDERATION
    [​IMG]

Kimberly Kwek

PUBLISHED
    JUN 29, 2022, 6:35 PM SGT

SINGAPORE - Despite fielding mostly debutants at the International Bowling Federation (IBF) Under-21 World Championships, Singapore recorded their best outing at this year’s edition in Helsingborg, Sweden, by clinching four gold medals and a bronze.

Before this, the country’s only gold medal at the tournament – previously known as the World Youth Bowling Championships – came at the 2006 edition in Berlin and was won by current Singapore Bowling Federation (SBF) president Valerie Teo.

This was also the first time that any country had swept all the medals in the women’s events (singles, doubles and team) and claimed four of the seven golds that were up for grabs. The fourth gold came in the mixed team event.

Praising the achievements, Teo said: “Any win at the world level is never an easy one and we face stiff competition from the get-go.

“The best of youth bowlers from around the world come together to compete and present a collective of many years of hard work, tears, sweat, blood and sacrifices.

“It’s great to see our young keglers stepping up and winning. These wins affirm our youth development efforts and point to assurance of a good strong pipeline of bowlers.”

She also acknowledged that the current format of the competition had made it challenging for the bowlers, who had to show consistency over many rounds that took place over multiple days.

While it was natural that the young bowlers felt the intensity of the competition, having routines in place helped them cope with it.

National head coach Helmi Chew was proud of how his charges were able to deal with the pressure of competing on the world stage.

He said: “As most of them were debutants, they were unsure of the atmosphere at such championships. During singles, some of them felt the heat of the championships, but with having our routines in place and the necessary psych support, we as a team managed to overcome it.”

It was also no easy feat for Pee to bag the four gold medals that she did as all the semi-finals and finals of the events took place on the same day.

At the Olympia Bowling lanes, Colleen Pee led the way as she clinched the women’s singles title, before bagging gold in the women’s doubles with Arianne Tay. Ning Tay and Quek Lu Yi took the bronze.

The quartet then won the women’s team event, before Pee and Arianne Tay teamed up with Joyan Khoo and Ryan Toh to win the mixed team title.

On what enabled her to perform consistently throughout the day, the 18-year-old said: “There was only one thing going through in my mind which was focusing on the process and not anything else.”

The Institute of Technical Education College Central student was also grateful for the support of her teammates and coaches, who she felt were key to the team’s success in Sweden.

She said: “I felt very emotional for every single event as I wouldn’t have done it without the support of my teammates behind me.

“The bond between us within the team enabled the team and me to do well at these world championships as we were supporting one another till the very last shot of the competition.”

For Khoo, who was part of the gold medal-winning mixed team, there were many lessons to learn from the U-21 World Championships outing.

He said: “It was an eye-opening experience. Watching the best from other countries bowl impressed me with how much talent there is outside of Singapore.

“But at the same time, the fact that we were able to walk away with so many gold medals meant that Singapore is a force to be reckoned with internationally.”

MORE ON THIS TOPIC
    Bowling: S'pore women's doubles add two medals at IBF Under-21 World C'ships
    Bowling: Singapore's Cherie Tan continues fine form to win PWBA BowlTV Classic

20. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Singapore men’s ice hockey team clinch silver medal at IIHF U20 Asia and Oceania Championships
    It was also the first time Singapore took part in the regional competition.

Muhd Zahin Ilmi
    Sports enthusiast and expert overthinker

Published: 4 July 2022, 12:28 PM

Singapore men’s ice hockey team clinched the silver medal at the 2022 International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF) under-20 Asia and Oceania Championships which took place in Bangkok, Thailand.

This came after a 3-4 defeat to Thailand in the competition’s grand finals which took place last Saturday (Jul 2).

Singapore, who took part in the regional competition for the first time this year, managed to secure four wins out of six games throughout the duration of the competition, which spanned from Jun 25 to Jul 2.

The team were on a winning streak after dispatching Indonesia and India with a score of 5-1 and 10-1 respectively in their first two games, before they suffered their first defeat to Vietnam in the third game with a score of 4-7.

However, the team bounced back in their next two matches, narrowly defeating Malaysia and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) 2-1 and 4-3 respectively.

They eventually suffered their second defeat of the competition in the sixth and final game against Thailand, who went on to win the gold medal.

Singaporean forward Joshua Chan was crowned as the MVP of the entire tournament, while defender Benedict Qian was given the Best Player of the Team award.