Singapore Sports Scene

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Loh, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    SEA Games: New Hui Fen wins women's singles bowling gold, teammate Shayna Ng claims the bronze
    https://www.straitstimes.com/sport/...ng-gold-team-mate-shayna-ng-claims-the-bronze
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Team Singapore bowler New Hui Fen (right) won gold while teammate Shayna Ng claimed a bronze in the women's singles.PHOTO: LIANHE ZAOBAO
    Published
    Dec 3, 2019, 1:04 pm SGT
    Updated
    Dec 3, 2019, 3:59 pm

Low Lin Fhoong
    Assistant Sports Editor

MANILA - Team Singapore bowler New Hui Fen has struck gold at the 30th SEA Games after scoring a total of 1,372 pinfalls to finish first in the women's singles.

Teammate Shayna Ng claimed the bronze with 1,271 pinfalls.

Cherie Tan, who won the gold at the last edition of the Games in 2017, finished 13th out of 28 bowlers with 1, 171, while her sister Daphne Tan was fifth after scoring 1,247.

Day 1 of the bowling competition at the SEA Games continues in the afternoon with the Singapore men's bowlers to compete in the men's singles final.

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    SEA Games: Gong Qianyun checkmates her rivals to win Singapore's 900th gold
    https://www.straitstimes.com/sport/...mates-her-rivals-to-win-singapores-900th-gold

[​IMG]
    Gong Qianyun became not just the first Singaporean SEA Games champion in chess, she is also the winner of the Republic's 900th gold medal at the biennial multi-sport meet.PHOTO: SPORT SINGAPORE
    Published
    Dec 3, 2019, 5:45 pm SGT
    Updated
    Dec 3, 2019, 9:45 pm

David Lee
    Correspondent

SINGAPORE - Cleaning toilets and studying classical chess games is how Gong Qianyun explains the secret to her success. That was the penalty for seven-year-olds in her chess academy in Guangdong, China, if they failed to memorise the moves of past champions.

"I was punished like that a few times, and it was terrible because which kid wants to wash toilets?" Gong recalled with a laugh.

"But I persevered because I enjoyed the winning feeling and the ability to find solutions in difficult situations."

The determination was evident as she fended off the challenge of nine other players to emerge top of the women's rapid chess category on Tuesday (Dec 3) to become Singapore's first SEA Games champion in the sport.

Under this format at this Games, each player has 15 minutes, with 10 seconds added after every move, starting from the first. Games typically last for about 40 minutes, with a point for a win and half for a tie.

Gong, 34, got off to a fine start with three victories and a draw in her first four matches on Monday at the Traveler's Hotel in Subic, before losing to Ummi Fisabilillah.

It meant the Indonesian would finish above Gong if both ended tied on points on Tuesday, but Ummi could only draw with Filipino Catherine Secopito, while Gong beat Pham Le Thao Nguyen to snatch the gold medal, also coincidentally the Republic's 900th gold at the Games which began in 1959.

Singapore Chess Federation general secretary John Wong paid tribute to Gong, the country's sole chess representative in the Philippines.

He said: "Being a veteran in the chess scene, Qianyun knows how to handle pressure well. Rounds 6 and 7 could have gone either way, but she found a way to win after some tense moments, which prove vital in the end with such a narrow margin.

"We are very happy with our first SEA Games gold, and we hope this can inspire more people to pick up chess, and more players to aim for greater heights.

"Currently, we have grown to about 1,500 competitive players over the last five years, and we don't have a specific number to hit; the more the merrier."

Gong arrived in Singapore in 2009 to work as a chess coach, and became a citizen after she got married in 2012. She and her husband Tay Shi Hao have two children.

Despite her achievements, Gong, who was awarded the Woman Grandmaster title by the World Chess Federation in 2018, the highest-ranking title in chess exclusive to women, remained modest about her abilities.

The quicker formats were initially not her forte, she said. "I was not competing much because I was more involved in coaching, and I was losing to kids in the faster formats, which took getting used to.

"Chess is tiring both mentally and physically as there is a large amount of concentration and focus involved."

In the lead-up to the Games, she juggled her responsibilities of coaching more than 10 primary school pupils with daily practise of two to three hours.

Winning the gold has whetted her appetite, she said. "I am very happy and honoured to have gotten the 900th gold for Singapore. I want to thank the supporters back home for all their encouragement.

"I'm still surprised that I won the gold medal, but this is a motivation for me to carry on competing."

3. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Cheyenne Goh wins speed skating gold at SEA Games
    https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...9-ice-skating-cheyenne-goh-wins-500m-12148468

By Matthew Mohan @MatthewMohanCNA
    03 Dec 2019 06:53PM (Updated: 03 Dec 2019 07:15PM)

View attachment 194766

MANILA: Cheyenne Goh made it four golds in a day for Singapore on Tuesday (Dec 3), after she won the women’s 500m short track speed skating event at the 30th SEA Games.

Goh, 20, clocked a time of 46.421s at the SM Megamall to finish first overall.

Malaysia’s Dione Tan picked up silver, while her compatriot Chong An Ja bagged a bronze.

Singapore’s Soo Kar Weng finished in seventh spot with a timing of 51.895s.

Goh added another medal in the evening when she won bronze in the women's 3,000m short track speed skating team relay final with Victoria Chin, Soo Kar Weng and Suvian Chua.

A bronze medalist at the 2017 Games in Kuala Lumpur, Goh’s win means Singapore’s ice skating contingent have two golds to their name after figure skater Chloe Ing’s win on Sunday.

Earlier in the day, bowler New Hui Fen won the women’s singles event to add to Singapore’s gold medal tally. This was followed by golds in chess (Gong Qianyun) and fencing (Amita Berthier).

4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Singapore's lawn bowlers clinch SEA Games gold
    https://www.tnp.sg/sports/team-singapore/singapores-lawn-bowlers-clinch-sea-games-gold

[​IMG]
    Singapore's lawn bowlers celebrating after winning the women's triples finals.PHOTO: LIANHE ZAOBAO
    Dec 04, 2019 01:16 pm
    Singapore's lawn bowlers clinched a gold in the women's triples on Wednesday (Dec 4).

Despite trailing 12-10, Goh Quee Kee, Lim Poh Eng and Shermeen Lim rallied to defeat hosts Philippines 16-13 at the Friendship Gate in Clark.

On Monday, Singapore had also won a bronze in the men's triples when the trio of Leong Khim Hoong, Melvin Tan and Matthew Ngui defeated Thailand 23-14 in the third-place play-off.

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Yong wins Singapore's first gold at 30th SEA Games
    https://www.tnp.sg/sports/team-singapore/yong-wins-singapores-first-gold-30th-sea-games

[​IMG]
    Yong Yi Xiang has won Singapore's first gold at the 30th SEA Games.PHOTO: KONG CHONG YEW / SNOC
    Dec 01, 2019 11:52 am

Singapore's wushu exponent Yong Yi Xiang has won the Republic’s first gold medal at the 30th SEA Games in the Philippines.

Yong scored 9.70 points in the men’s changquan final at the World Trade Center in Manila on Sunday (Dec 1), edging out Malaysia’s Wong Weng Son (9.68 points) and Vietnam's Tran Xuan Hiep (9.60 points).

This is his second gold in this event. He had won his first during the 2015 edition on home soil.

In 2017, the gold went to another Singaporean, Jowen Lim, who finished sixth in this edition with 9.53 points. There were 10 participants in all.

Yong, who turns 26 on Dec 15, told The New Paper that this is his "best advanced birthday present".

On Sunday morning, the Singapore women's water polo team defeated the Philippines 13-6 to clinch a silver medal. They had finished second behind Thailand in the three-team competition.

In dancesport, the pair of Jerome Teo and Rachel Teo picked up a silver and two bronzes.

They scored 30.146 points to finish second out of six teams in the mixed foxtrot, after finishing third in the mixed waltz and mixed Viennese waltz.

6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Double delight for Singapore's underwater hockey teams
    https://www.tnp.sg/sports/team-singapore/double-delight-singapores-underwater-hockey-teams

[​IMG]
    The Singapore men's underwater hockey team won a SEA Games gold in the 4x4 category.PHOTO: SPORT SINGAPORE
    1. [​IMG]
    2. [​IMG]
    Dec 04, 2019 12:56 pm

Singapore won two golds in the SEA Games underwater hockey 4x4 category on Wednesday (Dec 4).

The men's team defeated hosts Philippines 5-0, while the women's team followed up with a 4-2 victory over their Philippine counterparts in their respective finals at the Vermosa Sports Hub in Manila.

Both teams are on course for more medals, with matches in the 6x6 category coming up later on Wednesday.

The 4x4 event was supposed to have been completed on Tuesday but was postponed due to weather conditions.

Underwater hockey is one of nine sports making its debut at these Games.

7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Another milestone for speed skater Cheyenne Goh
    https://www.tnp.sg/sports/team-singapore/another-milestone-speed-skater-cheyenne-goh

[​IMG]
    Cheyenne Goh on her way to the 500m short track speed skating gold medal. PHOTO: LIANHE ZAOBAO
    PreviousNext

1. [​IMG]
    Pioneer Winter Olympian wins Singapore's first short-track gold medal

Dilenjit Singh
    Sub Editor

Dec 04, 2019 06:00 am

Singapore's first Winter Olympian Cheyenne Goh won the nation's first short track speed skating SEA Games gold medal at the SM Megamall Ice Rink in Manila yesterday.

She improved on her bronze from the 2017 Games in Kuala Lumpur in the 500m, eclipsing Malaysia's Anja Chong - who swept the three women's speed skating events two years ago.

Goh described the win as her biggest high since she became Singapore's Winter Olympics trailblazer at Pyeongchang last year.

The 20-year-old told The New Paper: "I'm very happy. It's a big honour to get the gold for Singapore...

"I'm definitely happy to beat the gold medallist from the last SEA Games...

"I did save a bit more for the final, so I guessed that I could (better my semi-final time).

"It was more important that I do it in the final."

The Canada-based Goh was fastest of the eight skaters in the semi-finals, clocking 47.468 seconds.

She trumped that time in the final, finishing in 46.421 for gold, ahead of Malaysia's Dione Tan (47.594), who finished second, and defending champion Chong (47.657).

Goh was also in action in the 3,000m women's relay, alongside Victoria Chin, Suvian Chua and Soo Kar Weng.

The quartet were unable to better Singapore's silver from two years ago, finishing third in 5min 12.447sec.

Malaysia retained their gold in 4:53.235, with Indonesia snatching silver in 5:03.758.

Goh will have a chance to add to her medal tally in the 1,000m today, an event where she secured silver in Malaysia.

In the men's 500m, Singapore's Lucas Ng finished fifth of eight skaters, clocking 43.933sec.

Thailand's Natthapat Kancharin won in 43.763sec, ahead of Indonesia's Steavanus Wihardja (44.604) and Thailand's Triphop Thongngam (51.810).

Singapore's ice skating squad have already bettered their haul from 2017 with a bronze and two golds - Chloe Ing won the women's free skating last Sunday.

The Republic won one gold, five silvers and a bronze at the last biennial Games.

Asked about medal targets in September, Singapore Ice Skating Association chief Alison Chan told The Straits Times: "One should be safe. Two is hopeful."

On the improved haul, team manager Elly Tan said: "Of course, we are extremely pleased because it is definitely a big improvement from the last Games.

"We're just very much looking forward to tomorrow's races because the South-east Asian countries have been training really hard and we can see that (they) have stepped up their game...

"It is a good competition this year. We hope everyone keeps up the feeling and momentum."

Singapore are second in the ice skating medal tally, just behind Malaysia, who have one more silver.

8. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Fencer Amita Berthier overcomes ankle sprain to retain foil title
    https://www.tnp.sg/sports/team-sing...hier-overcomes-ankle-sprain-retain-foil-title

[​IMG]
    Amita Berthier (right) and Maxine Wong with their medals after the all-Singapore women's foil final in Manila yesterday. TNP PHOTO: MARK CHEONG
    MARIELLE DESCALSOTA

A left-ankle sprain threatened to derail Amita Berthier's campaign in the SEA Games women's individual foil event yesterday.

But the 18-year-old did not let the pain stop her from beating compatriot Maxine Wong 15-10 to retain the gold she won in Kuala Lumpur two years ago.

Wong, also 18, had led 3-1 and then 10-9, before Berthier called for the doctor to attend to her left ankle, which she had sprained during the warm-up.

After treatment, the former world junior No. 1 took six consecutive points to turn defeat into victory at the World Trade Center in Manila.

"When I was trailing, I decided to be more defensive", the US-based fencer said in a phone interview with The New Paper.

"Coming in, my aim was to win the gold. I wasn't going to let my ankle sprain stop me."

The win was bittersweet for Berthier, as she had to face Wong in the final. "Of course it's always tough to compete against Maxine, but there's no better time to bring (out) my best but the final," she said.

Wong proved to be a worthy opponent. The Raffles Institution student's journey to the final was marred by a knee injury at this year's World Championships.

She overcame the odds by recovering from surgery less than four months ago to make the team to the Philippines.

"Getting past my injury was tough, but I had a lot of love and support from my family and coaches," she said.

"I'm really glad that I medalled; my determination helped me make it to the final."

Coach Marko Milic was overjoyed with the girls' performances.

"Both girls exceeded my expectations. I'm really proud of them," he said. "For Amita to (retain) her gold, and for Maxine to recover from surgery...

"It's been a long journey. But it's definitely worth it."

9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Shuttlers retain SEA Games team bronzes
    https://www.tnp.sg/sports/team-singapore/shuttlers-retain-sea-games-team-bronzes
    Dec 03, 2019 06:00 am
    Singapore's shuttlers retained their SEA Games bronze medals from the team events after the men's and women's teams lost in the semi-finals yesterday.

The men lost to Malaysia 3-0 while the women fared slightly better, falling 3-1 to Indonesia at the Muntinlupa Sports Complex in Manila yesterday.

The Republic's sole bright spot was world No. 99 Jaslyn Hooi, who upset world No. 27 Fitriani 13-21, 21-16, 21-16 in the women's second singles.

Said team manager Jiang Yanmei: "(Jaslyn) was able to adapt in key moments of the game and battled well during rallies. This win would have increased her confidence... (for) upcoming games."

10. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    SEA Games 30th The Philippines

PHL still on top as of midday of Day 3 of 30th SEA Games with 41 golds (medal tally as of 2 p.m.)

on December 3, 2019

[​IMG]
    S Latest medal tally of the 30th SEA Games as of 2 p.m., Dec. 3, 2019. (Photo courtesy 2019 SEA Games website)

(Eagle News) — Host country, the Philippines, continued to dominate the 30th Southeast Asian Games as Filipino athletes won 41 gold medals, and a total medal haul of 79, as of 2 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 3, 2019.

Some of the games pushed through while outdoor events had to be rescheduled for another day as typhoon Kammuri (TisoyPH) battered the country with strong winds and heavy rains.

As of the 2 p.m. medal tally, the Philippines has 41 golds, 24 silvers and 14 bronze medals.

Vietnam ranks second with 18 golds, 23 silvers and 18 bronze medals for a total of 59 medals.

Third is Indonesia with 10 gold medals, 13 silvers and 13 bronze medals for a total of 35 medals.

Malaysia is fourth with 10 gold medals, but with two silvers and seven bronze medals, for a total medal haul of 19.

Next is Thailand with 6 9 16; Singapore with four golds, nine silvers and nine bronzes; Myanmar with one gold, five silvers, and 18 bronze medals; Brunei Darussalam with one gold, four silvers and five bronzes; Cambodia with also one gold, three silvers and 17 bronzes; and Laos with two bronze medals.

11. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    New Hui Fen eyes more gold medals after clinching singles title
    https://www.tnp.sg/sports/team-sing...ore-gold-medals-after-clinching-singles-title

[​IMG]
    Gold medallist New Hui Fen (right) and bronze medallist Shayna Ng celebrating their podium finishes in yesterday's women's singles. PHOTO: LIANHE ZAOBAO
    1. [​IMG]
    But singles champion says what matters more is the team gold, as she hasn't won it since 2011 Games

Adeena Mohamed Nagib
    New Hui Fen hardly celebrated - despite clinching her first SEA Games women's singles gold medal yesterday.

The 27-year-old stayed consistent and composed to win the title with 1,372 pinfalls, ahead of Indonesia's Tannya Roumimper (1,307) and compatriot Shayna Ng (1,271).

But, after adding another gold to her vast collection, New told The New Paper that it's the team title that matters more to her.

"I feel okay to win the singles, but I'm here for the team gold. This doesn't mean as much to me than that," she said in a phone interview.

"If I were a lot younger, I would perhaps treasure this a lot more. Now, I feel like it's more powerful to get a gold in the team event than in the singles."

She started off well at the Coronodo Lanes in Starmall Edsa-Shaw in Manila, recording 201 and 258 pinfalls.

But, after the fourth game, Roumimper edged ahead by one pinfall.

The Indonesian fumbled in the fifth game, however, knocking down only 176 pinfalls, while New stayed calm to reclaim the lead with 235.

Going into the sixth and final game, New felt no pressure as she had amassed a 58-pinfall lead.

She closed out with a 230 to emerge triumphant from the 28-woman field, while Roumimper settled for silver and Ng claimed the bronze.

Two other Singaporeans, sisters Daphne and Cherie Tan, finished fifth and 13th respectively.

New added that switching balls helped her clinch the gold.

She said: "Today's win was factored by choosing the right ball and the area to align.

"In the third game, the ball didn't reach the pocket twice despite adjustment... so I switched to a pearlised asymmetrical ball which worked."

New has won her fair share of individual medals throughout her 17-year bowling career, like the PWBA Tour Championship in 2016, the Master's in the 2015 Asian Championships and the 2009 Asian Youth Games singles.

But she has yet to taste a team victory since the 2011 SEA Games in Indonesia.

Bowling was not contested in the 2013 edition in Myanmar.

In the 2015 edition on home soil, the team narrowly missed retaining the gold by 55 pinfalls, losing to Malaysia.

In the 2017 edition in Kuala Lumpur, they lost to Malaysia again. But it was the 2015 defeat that still rankled with New.

"I didn't understand why we lost then. We were the more talented team and we were more supported in terms of welfare, logistics, preparation and everything," said the Spex scholar.

"We trained hard for that competition, but maybe we didn't train smart.

"Since then, there's more intention towards our training and our objectives are clear... "

She will apply the same mindset towards her other events - women's and mixed doubles, four-woman team and Masters from today to Sunday.

"I wouldn't say today's win will bring a confidence-booster but it gave me affirmation that all the training has been paying off."

Ng, 30, also a Spex scholar, shared her sentiments.

"It was a good result to see Team Singapore on two-thirds of the podium," said the 2015 Women's World Bowling all-events champion.

"This is a good sign because it's only day one and, as we move forward, we're only going to get stronger each day."

In the men's singles, 19-year-old Cheah Ray Han finished third with 1,316 pinfalls, behind Malaysia's Tan Chye Chern (1,334) and Thailand's Annop Arromsaranon (1,331).

12. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    SEA Games: Gold medal leaves Singapore figure skater Chloe Ing almost in tears
    https://www.straitstimes.com/sport/whirlwind-win-for-figure-skater

[​IMG]
    Figure skater Chloe Ing performing her free stake routine to a cover of Ave Maria yesterday. The 21-year-old's stirring display left the crowd in Manila's SM Megamall ice rink in awe.ST PHOTO: MARK CHEONG
    Published
    Dec 2, 2019, 5:00 am SGT

Ing makes up for 2017 disappointment by capturing the gold; vows to get even better

Nicole Chia

Even before Chloe Ing was crowned SEA Games figure skating champion yesterday, the Singaporean felt that she had already achieved her aim in the Philippines.

The 21-year-old's stirring free skate routine, performed to a cover of Ave Maria, left the crowd in Manila's SM Megamall ice rink in awe and applause.

It earned her 102 points for the free skate for a combined score of 152.67, finishing first out of nine competitors and winning the gold.

After ending her routine with a combination spin, she appeared to be overcome with emotion as she raised both hands to her head and then covered her mouth.

She had to compose herself before explaining her reaction, saying: "I just told myself I did it.

"After (the 2017 SEA Games), I was a little disappointed with my short programme. I told myself that, in two years' time when I come back, I want to be able to do an even better performance.

"And when I finished today, it kind of all clicked and I realised I had achieved what I was aiming for."

Ing, a silver medallist at the 2017 Games where winter sports made its debut, was ranked second behind the Philippines' Alisson Perticheto (53.65) after a 50.67 in the short programme on Friday.

Perticheto eventually took the silver with her free skate score of 79.11 (overall 132.76) ahead of Indonesia's Sevika Refa Zahira (68.18, overall 100.80).

Ing, who felt she could have done better in the short programme in 2017, struggled to describe how she felt about yesterday's triumph.

[​IMG]

"It's like a whirlwind," she said.

"Just the opportunity to be here and being able to come back with a gold, it's really hard to explain. But it definitely means a lot to me.

"Preparing for these Games was a lot about training and working on those programmes every day to try and build up that consistency technically and still keep the performance aspects.

"I had been doing pretty good run-throughs in practice... so I felt quite comfortable that I would be able to give a good performance."

She is more confident about her abilities now than two years ago, and she also feels she has become a stronger athlete and person. And she is still looking to get better.

"(I'm) trying to work on new jumps and increasing technical difficulty and, in terms of skating skills, there's always room for improvement," she added.

"I'm just going to keep training and trying to improve every day."

In men's figure skating, Singapore's Pagiel Sng was fifth on 135.17. Malaysia's Julian Yee (202.62) won ahead of the hosts' Christopher Caluza (180.22) and Micah Kai Lynette of Thailand (174.06).

13. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    SEA Games: Bittersweet day for Singapore's floorballers
    https://www.straitstimes.com/sport/bittersweet-day-for-floorballers

[​IMG]
    Singapore goalkeeper Fariza Begum Zabir blocking a shot by Thailand's Nelly Johansson in the SEA Games women's floorball final in Manila. Jerelee Ong netted the winner in the 3-2 victory. ST PHOTO: MARK CHEONG
    S'pore women edge it late against Thais but men squander 4-goal lead and lose shoot-out

Published:

Nicole Chia

Minutes after retaining their SEA Games women's floorball gold yesterday, Singapore captain Debbie Poh was looking forward to the golden-brown hue of fried chicken.

Asked how she would celebrate the thrilling 3-2 victory over Thailand, the 31-year-old said: "Eat Jollibee, we hope."

Perhaps no one was more deserving of a treat at the popular Philippine fast food chain than Jerelee Ong, who scored a dramatic winner with only three minutes to go.

The 21-year-old said: "We played really well as a team and we needed the score to reflect that, so I just needed to score."

She then pumped her fist as she revealed her first thought after the ball went in: "Yes!"

That it required her late intervention was a surprise given the bright start Singapore made at the University of Philippines College of Human Kinetics gym.

Only seven minutes had gone by when Natalia Wee gave the Republic the lead and momentum against the Thais, whom they swept aside 4-1 in their group-stage meeting.

Things went downhill from there though. Within two minutes of conceding, Thailand equalised through Thanaporn Tongkham.

Singapore failed to take their chances in the second period and were punished by Natthakarn Aunjai, who gave the team in blue a shock 2-1 lead.

WELL-PREPARED

It boils back down to the training we had. We were prepared for such shots and, in the game, all I did was to be ready and expect the unexpected.

FARIZA BEGUM, Singapore goalkeeper, who was player of the match in the final.

Singapore, who scored 32 goals and conceded just five in four group matches, equalised at the start of the third period, thanks to Amanda Yeap. That set up the tense finish.

Poh admitted that her side had felt "a bit" of panic when trailing but added: "I calmed my team down by reminding them to focus and be patient, and we worked our way up.

"In the group stage, Thailand were not as aggressive and today they played like they really wanted the gold, but we played harder."

Floorball did not feature at Kuala Lumpur 2017.

Yesterday's clash was a rematch of the 2015 final in Singapore, where the sport made its debut at the biennial Games. It ended 3-3 before the hosts prevailed 2-1 in the penalty shoot-out.

Goalkeeper Fariza Begum Zabir, 30, was Singapore's player of the match for her spectacular saves - a repeat of her heroics in 2015, when her penalty save secured the title.

She said: "It boils back down to the training we had. We were prepared for such shots and, in the game, all I did was to be ready and expect the unexpected.

"It's a good feeling being able to deliver for my team because I know they have my back at every point."

For the Singapore men's team, who were champions in 2015 and won July's Asia-Oceania Floorball Confederation title after trouncing Thailand 17-1 in the final, there was only heartbreak last night.

They were 8-4 up in the final period but conceded four times to draw 8-8 before losing 2-1 in the shoot-out.

14. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    SEA Games: 'Great honour' to earn team's 1st gold, says Yong Yi Xiang
    https://www.straitstimes.com/sport/great-honour-to-earn-teams-1st-gold

[​IMG]
    Yong Yi Xiang's gold-medal display in the men's changquan event has boosted his confidence after a disappointing World Wushu Championships. PHOTO: SNOC
    Published

Kimberly Kwek

Yong Yi Xiang's biggest critic is himself and, after a disappointing outing at October's World Wushu Championships in Shanghai, he returned to Singapore frustrated and filled with self-doubt.

It was a low period in his sporting career, he admitted yesterday, but it also made him determined to bounce back.

The road to recovery began at the World Trade Centre in Manila as he clinched the men's changquan title with 9.70 points, ahead of Malaysian Wong Weng Son (9.68) and Vietnam's Tran Xuan Hiep (9.60). Yong's compatriot and defending champion Jowen Lim (9.53) was sixth.

Yong, eighth in the 10-man field to perform, had a nervous 10-minute wait after his 100-second routine. Only after Malaysia's Yeap Wai Kin and Indonesian Edgar Xavier Marvelo had completed theirs was Yong, the winner in Singapore 2015, confirmed as champion again.

The 25-year-old, who was inspired to pick up wushu after watching films staring martial arts stars Jackie Chan and Jet Li, said: "When I received my score, I was in shock and disbelief.

"There was definitely some anxiety (while waiting) but I'm just glad that I managed to perform to my normal training standard, which was something I wasn't able to do at my previous competition."

That his was also Singapore's first gold at the Philippines Games made his day even sweeter.

He said: "It took a while to wrap my head around it.

"It is a great honour; it's every athlete's dream to fly our country's flag high at these competitions."

Team manager and former wushu world champion Vincent Ng paid tribute to his work ethic, saying: "He is a very hard-working athlete and expects a lot from himself.

"After the disappointment in Shanghai, he was mentally well-adjusted today and didn't have a lot of pressure.

"It'll definitely give him more confidence in the rest of the events."

Coach Zhang Feng was also impressed by his charge's display and added: "Martial arts is not about playing against others, but against oneself and he did it today.

"He really showed a great fighting spirit to win today."

Getting over the world meet, where Yong finished 23rd out of 88 competitors, required a lot of support from those closest to him.

"People around me encouraged me, they placed no blame on me at all and I really found the strength to bounce back," he said.

There was also positive self-talk, he noted. "I would tell myself, 'This isn't a technique problem, you just have to be confident and execute it and trust your muscle memory... This is not just for yourself, this is for everybody who has supported and believed in you."

He will be competing today in daoshu and gunshu and in tomorrow's duilian final.

He said: "This gold medal has given me my confidence back.

"I'm now focusing on what I have to do to keep myself on track physically and mentally and work it into competition."

15. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    SEA Games: Quah siblings each strike gold, kicking off Singapore swimming's medal hunt in style
    https://www.straitstimes.com/sport/...d-starts-the-ball-rolling-for-team-singapores
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (From left) Quah Jing Wen and her siblings Zheng Wen and Ting Wen.PHOTOS: ST FILE, EPA-EFE
    Published
    Dec 4, 2019, 6:32 pm SGT
    Updated
    3 hours ago

Low Lin Fhoong
    Assistant Sports Editor

CLARK (Philippines) - It was a Quah family affair on the first day of swimming at the 30th SEA Games, with siblings Ting Wen, Zheng Wen and Jing Wen striking gold in Games record times.

The youngest, 18-year-old Jing Wen, started the ball rolling by winning Singapore's first swimming title of the Philippine Games on Wednesday (Dec 4) after clocking 2min 10.97sec in the women's 200m butterfly.

She beat local favourite Remedy Alexis Rule and Vietnam's Le Thi My Thao, who finished second and third respectively in 2:10.99 and 2:12.70.

Elder brother Zheng Wen, 23, then captured the men's 100m backstroke gold in 53.79sec. It is a new national and meet record.

He will also feature in his second Olympics in Tokyo in 2020, with his time making the Olympic A mark.

Ting Wen, 27, won the women's 100m freestyle in a meet record of 54.74sec. Teammate Cherlyn Yeoh was second in 55.55.

Zheng Wen later teamed up with Joseph Schooling, Jonathan Tan and Darren Chua to win the men's 4x200m freestyle relay in a Games record of 7:17.88.

16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    SEA Games: Double delight on ice for Singapore with wins for Cheyenne Goh, men's relay team
    https://www.straitstimes.com/sport/...-win-in-1000m-short-track-speed-skating-final

[​IMG]
    Short track speed skater Cheyenne Goh had previously won the women's 500m title at the SEA Games on Dec 3, 2019. PHOTO: LIANHE ZAOBAO
    Published
    Dec 4, 2019, 5:41 pm SGT

Nicole Chia

MANILA - Short track speed skater Cheyenne Goh won the SEA Games women's 1,000m title in 1min 39.272 seconds on Wednesday (Dec 4).

The 20-year-old, who topped her semi-final in 52.147sec, started the nine-woman race in third position but overtook her rivals to win her second gold of these Games.

She had won the 500m title a day earlier at the SM Megamall ice rink.

The Republic's men's 3,000m relay team later added another gold, crossing the finish line first in a time of 4:23.256, ahead of Thailand (4:24.549) and Indonesia (4:24.780).

17. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    SEA Games: Second fencing gold for Singapore as Kiria Tikanah wins women's epee final
    https://www.straitstimes.com/sport/...apore-as-kiria-tikanah-wins-womens-epee-final

[​IMG]
    Kiria Tikanah Abdul Rahman (right) emerged victorious in the women's individual epee final on SEA Games in Philippines on Dec 4, 2019.PHOTO: REUTERS
    Published
    Dec 4, 2019, 5:41 pm SGT

Nicole Chia

MANILA - At the start of Wednesday (Dec 4), the SEA Games women’s epee final was not the match that Kiria Tikanah Abdul Rahman most wanted to win.

The 19-year-old’s goal for herself on her Games debut was to clinch at least a bronze medal and to do so she had to win a “do-or-die” quarter-final bout, which she did before going on to take the gold.

Kiria defeated home favourite Abella Haniel 15-12 at the World Trade Centre in Manila to clinch Singapore’s first Games epee title since 1989, when Choy Fong Leng won the same event.

In the final, Kiria led 13-8, only for the advantage to be cut to 13-10. But she found inspiration and assurance from her 15-14 quarter-final win over Vietnam’s Vu Thi Hong and that helped her stay composed.

Kiria said she had also led in that match, only to see her opponent catch up to tie the score.

“When she levelled to 14-all I was very angry with myself... it was so much more stressful than the final because my goal was just to get a medal, so that was a do-or-die thing for me,” she said.

“(That quarter-final) gave me the fire to fight back in the final, and not get distracted.”

On Wednesday, she silenced the home support by taking the lead early. But, as Haniel caught up, the crowd began to get behind her, cheering so loudly that, at one point, the Singaporean could not focus.

“My coach (Henry Koh) told me to do what I had to do and not focus on the score. It was scaring me because I kept seeing my opponent’s go higher while mine was stuck at 13,” Kiria recalled.

“The last two points were difficult because I had a mental block. When I hit 15, I don’t even remember what happened, the last point was a blur. I was just so relieved that the hard work over the past few months culminated in a gold medal.”

Four hours later, the significance of her accomplishment still had not sunk in.

“It feels so surreal, I haven’t actually processed it. It still feels like a normal competition day to me,” she said, chuckling. “I hope I (process the win) soon so I can get started celebrating, everyone’s asking me to treat them to a meal so I’ll start with my family first.”

Fencing Singapore high-performance manager Marko Milic never doubted the teenager’s ability to hold steady under pressure.

“She was one of the more stable fencers in the team at the Asian Games last year and she’s very perceptive and has this ability to be ready to do the best she can under pressure situations,” said the 41-year-old Serb.

“This is a good milestone for her. She’s still young and, if she can continue to be committed to training and compete overseas regularly, she can definitely get better.”

18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Teenage fencer Kiria Tikanah wins gold on her SEA Games debut
    https://www.tnp.sg/sports/team-singapore/teenage-fencer-kiria-tikanah-wins-gold-her-sea-games-debut

[​IMG]
    Singapore's Kiria Tikanah (left) and Cheryl Lim won gold and bronze respectively in the women's individual epee. PHOTO: REUTERS
    Dec 05, 2019 06:00 am
    Singapore won a second fencing gold at the SEA Games through teenage debutante Kiria Tikanah Abdul Rahman yesterday.

The 19-year-old, who is ranked world No. 222, defeated home favourite 151st-ranked Hanniel Abella 15-12 to claim the women's individual epee title at the World Trade Center in Manila.

Earlier, the National University of Singapore chemistry student had beaten compatriot Cheryl Lim 15-10 in the semi-finals.

Kiria's gold was the Republic's second fencing title at these Games.

She said: "Winning gold was very unexpected. Since it was my SEA Games debut, I was expecting maybe only a medal, so being able to go home with the gold was a bonus."

Singapore also picked up another bronze yesterday through Joshua Lim, who reached the semi-finals where he lost 15-13 to Thailand's Mayakarn Chornnasun.

On Tuesday, Amita Berthier retained the women's individual foil gold by defeating Maxine Wong in the first all-Singaporean fencing final at the biennial Games.

19. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Singapore's underwater hockey teams rise above all
    https://www.tnp.sg/sports/team-singapore/singapores-underwater-hockey-teams-rise-above-all

[​IMG]
    Singapore women's underwater hockey team on their way to a 4-2 win over the Philippines in the final yesterday. PHOTO: LIANHE ZAOBAO
    Both Singapore men's and women's teams - who are self-funded - clinch the first gold medals in the sport, which is making its SEA Games debut

Marielle Descalsota

Singapore's underwater hockey teams made history yesterday as both the men and women won the first two golds in the sport, which is making its inaugural appearance at the SEA Games.

The men thrashed hosts Philippines 5-0 in the 4x4 final at the Vermosa Sports Hub on the outskirts of Manila. The women followed suit with a 4-2 win over the Philippines to complete the double.

The men's win might look like a landslide, but national men's coach David Lambert was adamant that the Filipinos were a formidable outfit.

"It was tough, the Filipinos really worked hard on their home ground. But the guys had a solid game and it was truly a team effort," he said in a phone interview with The New Paper.

"They had many locals supporting them and the atmosphere was quite intense. We could hear them cheering even underwater."

Lambert credited captain Jonathan Chan and vice-captain Jerryl Twang for guiding the team to victory.

He said: "The captains were phenomenal in leading the guys. With their encouragement, the team worked together and got the gold."

Also known as octopush, the sport originated in England. Two teams don snorkelling masks and use a 35cm stick to push a bright-coloured puck into their opponent's goal .

Singapore's victories were even more remarkable as none of them are full-time athletes. Out of the 12 members in the men's team, 11 are working professionals, while one is a student.

Chan, who is a pilot, praised the team for their commitment.

The 34-year-old said: "We are self-funded and reserved our (work) leaves to train abroad. When coach isn't around, I would fill in.

"I'm very proud of the boys and how they played in the final. We peaked at the right moment and pulled together when it mattered."

The women's team vice-captain Sheena Soh echoed Chan's sentiments. The 28-year-old actuary attributed the team's success to perseverance and passion.

She said: "My teammates and I have full-time jobs, so some try to train before and others after work. I'm fortunate to have bosses who supported my journey, and it's paid off."

"I'm also really grateful to the Singaporeans who came to Manila to support us. Hearing their cheers really spurred us to give our all and win."

Both teams have a chance to make it a clean sweep as they are also in the 6x6 event, which continues today.

But both coaches played down expectations.

Lambert said: "We're just taking it game by game... focused on the here and now.

"We've trained a lot. It's going to be challenging but we're going to fight hard again."

Women's coach Lena Plambeck said: "The 6x6 is a totally different game, so we're going in with no expectations and we'll give it our best." - ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY ADEENA NAGIB

20. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Quah Zheng Wen books his ticket to Tokyo 2020
    https://www.tnp.sg/sports/swimming/quah-zheng-wen-book-his-ticket-tokyo-2020

[​IMG]
    Quah Zheng Wen celebrates after clocking a SEA Games and national record of 53.79 seconds in the 100m backstroke. PHOTO: REUTERS
    Quah meets Olympic qualifying mark with 53.79sec record swim in 100m back

Dilenjit Singh
    Sub Editor

Smashing the water with his left hand and flexing his biceps with the right, Quah Zheng Wen became the fourth Singaporean to qualify for next year's Tokyo Olympics after clocking 53.79 seconds to win the 100m backstroke at the SEA Games yesterday.

By his own admission, it was not even an event the 23-year-old was focusing on or targeting an Olympic spot for.

Quah's time at the New Clark City Aquatics Center was below the Olympic "A" qualifying mark of 53.85, making him only the second Singaporean - after Rio 2016 gold medallist Joseph Schooling - to qualify for sport's pinnacle via the biennial Games.

Quah's effort - a SEA Games and national record - left Vietnam's second-placed Paul Le Nguyen (54.98) and bronze medallist I Gede Siman Sudartawa (55.68) of Indonesia in his wake.

Speaking after a four-gold haul on the first day of the swimming programme in the Philippines, National Training Centre head coach Gary Tan said: "The (Olympic) A cut for Zheng Wen is fantastic and speaks a lot about the hard work he has been putting in over at (the University of California, Berkeley).

"We're just focusing on the medals here, the 'A' cuts will be a bonus. It's definitely on the back of their mind, but they are really, really focused towards trying to do their best and achieving that gold medal for Singapore."

Meanwhile, Quah - who competed in the 100m and 200m butterfly at Rio 2016 - made it clear that despite his 100m back success, he was targeting other Olympic events where he would not just be "a participant".

He said: "I definitely think it is a relief in the sense that I don't have to worry about actually making it any more, but at the same time, it wasn't really the event that I was looking at.

"I'm not looking to be a participant in the next Olympics again, I want to go for events where I know I can make an impact in.

"Perhaps the 100m back might eventually be that but, as of right now, it's not something I was training for, really.

"So, I'm just going to put that behind me.

"Sure, I'm going to Tokyo, but I want to go to Tokyo and do something, and I think I can have a better chance of that in my other events."

Quah also helped himself to another gold in the 4x200m freestyle relay, alongside Schooling, Jonathan Tan and Darren Chua.

Their 7min 17.88sec time was a new meet record, with Vietnam securing silver in 7:21.51 and Malaysia rounding off the podium in 7:27.55.

SET THE STANDARD
    Schooling said Quah's Olympic breakthrough had set the standard for his compatriots.

Said the 24-year-old: "The goal is also to qualify for the Olympics at this meet and Zheng did a great job qualifying for the 100m back, he got a huge elephant off his back.

"Now, it's time for the rest of us to do the same.

"He started off great and that gave us more inspiration to swim harder for this relay."

But it was not all about Quah yesterday.

His sisters Ting Wen (100m freestyle) and Jing Wen (200m butterfly) plundered Singapore's two other golds of the night as the nation's first family of swimming all set Games records in individual races for the first time.