Singapore Open : Finals

Discussion in 'Singapore / Indonesia / Malaysia Open 2003' started by wilfredlgf, Aug 23, 2003.

1. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Men's Singles
    Chen Hong (CHN) vs Chen Yu (CHN)

Women's Singles
    Zhang Ning (CHN) vs Zhou Mi (CHN)

Men's Doubles
    Lars Paake/Jonas Rasmussen(DEN) vs Martin Lundgaard Hansen/Jens Eriksen (DEN)

Women's Doubles
    Yang Wei/Zhang Jiewen (CHN) vs Gao Ling/Huang Sui (CHN)

Mixed Doubles
    Ra Kyeung Min/Kim Dong Moon (KOR) vs Zheng Bo/Zhang Jiewen (CHN)

2. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Men's Singles
    Chen Hong (CHN) vs Chen Yu (CHN)
    I think the seeding will be correct this time.

Women's Singles
    Zhang Ning (CHN) vs Zhou Mi (CHN)
    Zhang Ning wins. There seems to be no stopping her now. But it seems she had a taxing match against Camilla, so maybe there's an opening for Zhou Mi...

Men's Doubles
    Lars Paake/Jonas Rasmussen(DEN) vs Martin Lundgaard Hansen/Jens Eriksen (DEN)
    Wow. If asked a year ago, I would have had little doubt that Eriksen/Lundgaard would win comfortably, but now... I just don't know. These pairs know each other so well. But it was a long time since Jens Eriksen displayed his usual sharpness, whereas Jonas & Lars seem to be on a roll these days... My guess is another BF win! :D

Women's Doubles
    Yang Wei/Zhang Jiewen (CHN) vs Gao Ling/Huang Sui (CHN)
    Gao Ling/Huang Sui of course.

Mixed Doubles
    Ra Kyeung Min/Kim Dong Moon (KOR) vs Zheng Bo/Zhang Jiewen (CHN)
    We all know where this one is going...

At a glance, a set of very predictable finals, except perhaps for the MD. But I won't mind if I'm proven wrong!

3. unregistered

unregistered Regular Member

hmm

i was there today..... loh told me 4 guys met up and took a pic with JR as well..... i couldnt join em.. anyway it was a good SF.. Lee Hyun wasnt at his best and it was regretful that Lin Dan lost his match.. he was very deceptive.

4. whizkelv

whizkelv Regular Member

Arghhh.... to bad that Lin Dan lost!:(
    Anyway, Chen Hong is very determined to prove that he is a worthy world no. 1. :)

For tomorrow's final, agree with Mag's prediction.:)

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I'm afraid that tomorrow's final may prove to be a rather less interesting affair!

6. rejang

rejang Regular Member

Agree with Loh totally that the final will be rather anti-climax. 4 out of 5 events are compatriot fight. Not that they will not go all out but somehow the excitement is absent in such "family fights". Furthermore the outcome of the 5th event is more or less a predictable Korean victory. May consider not turning up at all.

7. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    Why's nobody here happy there's 3 all-China affairs? I'm quite excited personally. And, don't just rub off Zheng/Zhang like they're school kids. Nobody thought Lars/Jonas were gonna take WC and look what happened?

I'm hoping for 4 medals.

8. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

This sort of domincance is not really good for the long term prospects of the game. The rest of the countries, wake up please!!

9. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Dunno about you people but here's what I'm going to do this afternoon :

Watch Kim and Ra display their unique racquet skills, then watch Zhang

Ning display her graceful courtcraft, then watch chen Hong slug it out with a very

tricky and stubborn Chen Yu, then go off to sleep during ladies and men's doubles.

10. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    I think it had been debated before although I don't remember which thread about same nationals fighting same nationals on badminton. There's that extra 'oomph' or atmosphere that is simply not there. Imagine the WC2003 being played by Chn vs Chn in men's singles, it'll be like watching a Chinese provincial event. The extra cocktail is simply not as strong.

11. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    Yes, but for Chinese nationalists like me, all Chinese finals are what I dream of. Maybe some neutrals like you may not find that enjoyable.:D Let me put it this way, would you want an All-Malaysian finals in an event?

12. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    To be honest, no. I'd prefer a China vs Malaysia or a China vs Indonesia, or an Indonesia vs Malaysia (potential pressure cooker, this one, esp if played at Istora Senayan. Funny, there seems to be more Indonesian supporters in Malaysia than Malaysians at the stadiums when meetings of such happen). I like to see more of a variety than an 'all-red' exhibition match. It would be nice to see both Malaysians play in the finals, but somehow I will still feel as if it could be more exciting if both teams were fighting for different countries.

#12 wilfredlgf, Aug 23, 2003
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2003
  13. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    The problem is, whether other nations "want to" catch up or not. Surely, Chinese has a larger population base, which might be "easier" to get a good pool of prospects. However, the difference is not like hell and heaven. If other nations can check their system, getting better training method, I am sure the gap will be smaller.

Look at basketball. In 1992, US Dream Team (by NBA players) were simply killing every other nation by 50+ points in every single match besides the final. How many ppl can ever think 10 yrs later, Dream Team 6 can lose 4 games, and being placed #6 in WC? It was a sign about other nations are "catching up" in this sport.

Therefore, everythign is possible. Just a matter how much effort we put into it.

#13 LazyBuddy, Aug 23, 2003
  14. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I agree. If the 2 finalist are close in skill level, and from different nations, then, there could be more "mystery" involved.

However, I would rather see 2 truely skillful players fighting for the title, rather than a more 1-side match, just to match up the different nationalities. I am not saying all other nations players are not as good as chinese players, just talking about a theory in general.

15. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    Imagine a Kim-Ha vs Candra-Sigit in a doubles finals compared to Cai-Fu vs Sang-Zheng.

Another example will be an on form Xia Xuanze going up against a red-hot-with-revenge-and-anger Taufik, compared to a Bao Chunlai vs Chen Hong finals.

Can you feel the difference in anticipation when you see this?

I'm not saying that a Cai-Fu vs Sang Zheng or Bao-Chen finals is anything but exciting, but if you compare the ties, you can see that there is that extra 'something' which is hard to describe.

I grew up watching mostly doubles games and I really relish games such as Razif/Jalani vs Hartono/Gunawan or a Li Yongbo/Tian Bingyi vs Park Joo Bong/Kim Moon Soo tie as all are of rather different strengths and styles. (But then again, Park-Kim won most of the matches anyway...)

We were spoilt for choice, then. :D

Thus you see why the Thomas Cup is such an exciting event as each nation is figthing for national honours with supporters of different countries cheering and shouting their hearts out.

I can still remember the atmosphere at Stadium Negara when Malaysia took on Indonesia at the 1992 finals - it was simply amazing. The whole country was up in euphoria while a very audible Indonesian group of supporters added colour to the event.

And you noticed that during WC2003 finals when WCH played XXZ, the atmosphere was almost the same, the excitement really there.

#15 wilfredlgf, Aug 23, 2003
  16. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    ok. back to the final itself.

the news is trickling in ...

Zhang Ning bt Zhou Mi 11-0 11-8

amazing. Zhang Ning should start getting nickname for the ability to give her opponent ducks during matches

Yang Wei/Zhang Jiewen bt. Gao Ling/Huang Sui 17-16 / 15-7

finally Gao/Huang are no longer the big sisters in the team. i think Yang/Zhang should be starting to pick up. i wonder if Zhang has enough energy left to face Kim/Ra later on in the day.....

17. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Chen Hong has done it again.

18. whizkelv

whizkelv Regular Member

The winners are:

MS - Chen Hong
    MD - Jens/Martin
    WS - Zhang Ning
    WD - Yang/Zhang
    XD - Kim/Ra

19. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Zhang Ning was awesome, imagine she was left out in 2002 Uber Cup.

Either as suspected Chinas ladies are at an all time low in singles, or she must have

some good coaching.

Kim and Ra were in total control esp exploiting a very tired Zhang. Zheng Bo

could make a very good mixed player but a long way from Kim.

20. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Kim/Ra still a few levels above the rest. Way too good and consistent.