Singapore Open 2019, April 9-14

Discussion in '2019 Tournaments' started by Loh, Feb 28, 2019.

1. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Yeah we know you don't think of Ginting much, but I believe Ginting is above Nishimoto in terms of having real potential to be top 5.

And yeah we already know Momota is the best. No one can beat him in terms of achievements. He shouldn't worry about anything, he always has all the answers to every situation.

2. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Ouch, touchy. Incidentally, I share the opinion that Ginting exceeds Nishimoto.

But honestly, what do you think about Christie's potential.

3. Kento

Kento Regular Member

Having players such as Ginting and Christie constantly trying their utmost to defeat him can only be good for Momota-san as it ensures that he has to continually evolve his game to new heights in order to keep beating them.

Like I have said in a previous thread, Kento Momota has a very fluid game-plan these days and this is built upon the most solid defence of any badminton player playing at the present time.

It was the technical quality of his defence that allowed him to withstand the barrage of smashes from Ginting in the 3rd game yesterday and he built upon this to win it.

#1643 Kento, Apr 15, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  4. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

To be honest, at the moment I can't decide about Christie. He seemed to have improved in the last 2 tournaments though. But that was after many low quality matches in consecutive tournaments after winning AG gold. He even lost to Shesar Hiren RHUSTAVITO much lower ranking in the Final MS2 match in Djarum Superliga (local INA league) end of February.
    He doesn't have the brilliance of Ginting's attacking or netting play, but he has more stamina of the two.

kurako likes this.
  5. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

You sounds just like Justin L when he talks about Lin Dan.

wade, samkool, skhai91 and 1 other person like this.
  6. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

I didn't realise KM s game is so boring until yesterday. Let s see how long he can be WR1.
    ASG s game is what MS badminton should be : Riveting.
    Unfortunately ASG s game is high energy, anything less he will be applying brakes and that s not good either. He really has to understand the importance of energy management. No point using more than 50% fuel winning G1 and stalling before end of G2. Also, he has to learn and practice match closing tactics so he does not have to think about how to, during play.
    And then we have pseudo shrinks here calling out ASG having mental blockage problem. When a singles player has an 80 min SF match the day before, at some point the fatigue build up is going to set in and accuracy goes down and the errors pile up. The opponent does not have to use power, just use speed to make him run all over and prolong the rallies.
    But credit to KM, he s a quick thinker and excellent self motivator during play.

LjS4 likes this.
  7. London_Player

London_Player Regular Member

admin
    MS final was the last match I had to time to see live on Youtube.

Anthony nearly closed in Game 2 but somehow Kento manage to stay in and 3rd game Ginting could not maintain his face pace and made a lot of unforced errors and got tired at the end, as he used all his energy in the first two games. As Gillian and Morton commentated, he has improved a lot and still improving.

He is lot more exciting to watch then boring Kento, though very good technically, his game is based on solid basic game, nothing too attacking and then waiting for the right opportunity to attack. He has a lot of energy in reserve but if Anthony had finished him off in the 2nd game, then it would have been all over.

8. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Christie prepares better for opponents he wants to defeat and he s mentally more focused. Ginting s game plan is unclear. His strategy seems to be that he will win if he plays his A game. For winning, JC is a better bet. JC may not be as skillful but he has a cooler head under pressure.

kurako likes this.
  9. Kento

Kento Regular Member

Saw Ginting v Nishimoto Game 2 in the Malaysia Open 2019 around two weeks ago where Ginting's 'rivetting' game led to him going 15-5 down to Kenta with him eventually losing that game 21-13. This was after winning the 1st game 21-18.

What Ginting lacks is consistency of performance, from game to game.

Only when he achieves this will we be able to talk about him being anything close to the level of badminton that Kento Momota plays at.

10. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

I am not so sure about that.
    Both are more or less the same in terms of inconsistency and the tendency to crumble under pressure. But if it's Istora, Christie might be the better bet.
    Strangely enough Christie -> SYQ -> Ginting -> CL -> Christie

11. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Kento Momota has to defend lots of points in the coming months.

12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Unless the journalist happened to be a badminton expert, I'd take what s/he wrote with a grain of salt.

13. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

I thought the coach should choose between JC/AG the reason why there isnt a better ones is because they are simply not KM (who is the real leader in Japan MS team)

So if we want JC/AG reach final, we need little bit more luck.

14. minions

minions Regular Member

Choose for what reason? I don't get it.

15. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

A lot of people are quite certain this is a parody account (though that might be true for Justin L as well). I certainly have him on ignore.

16. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

CLELY and Morten are worlds apart.
    CLELY has to plough through a lot of research before she can write and then only has a few paragraphs to show.
    Morten? He just turns up and talk. And gives his opinions where you either agree or disagree with him because there is no right or wrong opinion. If he wants to make fans happy, he can try using this formula of 2P1C where a player is praised twice when he s criticized once because fans find criticism harder to swallow. So a double dose of Praise should be enough to neutralize a single dose of Criticism and fans on both sides would be happy.

visor and twawawau like this.
  17. Pcyl

Pcyl Regular Member

I very honestly never get bored watching Kento Momota play. I watched his matches over and over again and still see the beauty of his movements, defence, attacks, smart adaptations, smart managements of energy and etc. Instead i think I might feel bored watching Ginting. But hey, let's not try to make personal judgments on each players and their styles. Ginting has his good style of playing and Momota has his good style of playing. Otherwise both of them won't be in the top 10 ranking.

I sensed Momota has also been growing and bringing in new things in his play. In the process, he may sometimes loose some matches. Yet, I think his recent reputation of being able to come from behind and win will become something troubling to his opponents.

#1657 Pcyl, Apr 15, 2019
    Kento likes this.
  18. Kento

Kento Regular Member

403 messages with 119 likes in less than 5 months across a wide range of badminton topics on the Badminton Central message board are testimony to the fact that this is no parody account and that I am for real.

If you observe my excellent command of the written form of the English language, I put it to you that you will be very hard-pressed to find anyone who can write with the same level of precision of meaning or context within which it is used.

Note the grammatical structures that I employ when constructing my sentences and also pay attention to the vocabulary that I use and how I utilise it when expressing myself on here.

Can the same be said for accounts made in the name of famous ex/ current players on here I wonder?

The problem that one or two on here have with me is that they are purely Kento Momota fanboys/fangirls and nothing else so that they cannot bear even the slightest bit of positive criticism against him.

That is alright with me. They have the right to idolise him if they so wish.

However, my deep admiration for Kento Momota (which makes him my favourite badminton player) stems from the following facts:

He is a left-handed player like myself and plays in a style that is very similar to mine, albeit at the highest level on the World Tour as a professional player.

He has very tight control over all his shots and never settles for less than 100% accuracy when playing them.

He is very resolute in his purpose and has clear goals he has set for himself to accomplish in the near future, goals which he is succeeding in achieving even as we post messages on this board and watch him in admiration whilst he is doing so.

He is forthright when he feels he has not performed to the best of his ability and states this in post-match interviews with refreshing honesty. This catharsis allows him to then move onto the next step, namely, attempting to remedy whatever it is that he feels needs to be changed or tweaked in order for his game to evolve to even higher levels.

Like Momota-san, I like to be accurate in my appraisal of him and this means that I will provide my opinion on his play which will sometimes contain positive criticism of this.

What differentiates my criticism from that made by those who are purely detractors is that I will also provide solutions to what I perceive to be negative factors that he needs to deal with in his progress.

Ultimately, everyone is free to choose to think what they will.

As for me, I would like to think that we all share one thing in common with one another, namely, our love for this wonderful game called badminton.

KhoaHa, visor, twawawau and 2 others like this.
  19. Pcyl

Pcyl Regular Member

Believe it or not, the other player i enjoy watching and never feel bored is Viktor Axelson. When Viktor plays with other opponents besides Momota, he will always fight to the end. And he is fast, has long reaches and quick thinking (no mental block at all). With Momota who is capable of adapting and changing styles throughout the Match while playing with high quality, Viktor has not found effective solutions yet. (Instead of just calling it mental block, maybe it is a case of a smart player knows a smart player when he encounters one). As an experienced player, he correctly commented that Momota is a very rounded player. To win Momota for now, opponents will have to play high risk game like what Antonsen did. You either win well by taking high risk or loose badly. But even then, you might be able to overcome Momota for that Match but you can be quite assured that Momota will be ready for you the next time round.

#1659 Pcyl, Apr 15, 2019
    visor, fnd80 and Kento like this.
  20. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Aren't you considering yourself to be one of those fanboy? Not trying to tease you here, I don't mind, I'm simply asking as I thought you also idolized quite a bit KM too given the username, picture profile and the way you praise him.