Singapore Open 2019, April 9-14

Discussion in '2019 Tournaments' started by Loh, Feb 28, 2019.

1. minions

minions Regular Member

Lol, no one thinks that AG has mental blockage against KM in the same way people thinks VA has. In AG's case, people mostly attributes his loss by stamina issue.

wade likes this.
  2. iqbaljuve

iqbaljuve Regular Member

student
    Sorry for my OOT, any live streaming from BWF youtube channel for BAC?

3. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

JAPAN STRIKES BACK WITH THREE
    The Land of Rising Sun redeems their Kuala Lumpur zero result to bag men's singles, men's doubles plus women's doubles crown. Current world number one in singles department top SGP Open podium.

The blockbuster men's singles showdown affirms Kento Momota status as current best men's singles player, never say die attitude and has expertise to make excellent comeback and turning the tables. The Japanese star did it again against Anthony Ginting in second and third game, a sluggish start by the Japanese as Ginting played flawlessly in opening set, 10-21 then trailing 11-16 in the second didn't shake Momota confidence instead of he's trying to change tactic. Similar story in deciding game, 11-7 then 12-8 for Ginting favour, the world number one dictated the pace with patient style and force his opponent to make uncharacteristic errors with long rallies, 21-13 to nail second SGP Open title and third victory in 2019 after GER Open and prestigious All England.

Back to back title for women's singles queen Tai Tzu Ying, she returns to winning way. The Taiwanese high-profile player vanquished second Japanese leading player here, Nozomi Okuhara, 21-19 / 21-15. Okuhara did well to mount pressure for her more-fancied opponent when Tai managed healthy lead, 13-8 in first game and repeated again 16-11 at second game, a bit of lost focus and started to make errors instead constructed her magic shot to outwit the resilient and good runner Japanese

Men's doubles final, Kamura/Sonoda beat second INA pairs in a row, they downed Ahsan/Setiawan after edged out Gideon/Sukamuljo on semifnal stage. The reigning All England Champions couldn't balance the faster Japanese duo rhythm in opening game but it getting better in next two games, Kamura/Sonoda injecting the pace in end of third game that contributed to their victory, 21-17. The more compact World Champions Matsumoto/Nagahara overcome surprising finalists Korea potential pair Kim HJ/Kong HY, 21-17 / 22-20. Highly-confident Puavaranukroh/Taerattanachai who shocked hot-favourites Zheng/Huang a day earlier snatch first ever title in BWF World Tour, outclassed Tan KM/Lai PJ, 21-14 / 21-6, the shortest durration of five finals.

Svyat, nizze, It'sMeMeMe and 2 others like this.
  4. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Nope, BAC is continental championships. BWF Youtube has live coverage for all HSBC-BWF World Tour tournaments (Super 1000, 750, 500 and 300).

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Badminton: World No. 1s Kento Momota and Tai Tzu-ying triumph at Singapore Open

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Kento Momota beat Anthony Ginting (not pictured) 10-21, 21-19, 21-13 to win the Singapore Badminton Open men’s singles title on April 14, 2019.ST PHOTO: KEVIN LIM

[​IMG]
    Kento Momota beat Anthony Ginting (not pictured) 10-21, 21-19, 21-13 to win the Singapore Badminton Open men’s singles title on April 14, 2019.ST PHOTO: KEVIN LIM

[​IMG]
    Tai Tzu-ying in action against Nozomi Okuhara (not pictured) during the Singapore Badminton Open women’s singles final at Singapore Indoor Stadium on April 14, 2019.ST PHOTO: KEVIN LIM

[​IMG]
    Tai Tzu-ying (right) triumphed 21-19, 21-15.ST PHOTO: KEVIN LIM
    Published

Apr 14, 2019, 4:21 pm SGT

Nicole Chia
    cnicole@sph.com.sg

SINGAPORE - Despite not being at his best, world No. 1 Kento Momota dug in deep to win the Singapore Badminton Open men’s singles title on Sunday (April 14) by beating seventh seed Anthony Ginting 10-21, 21-19, 21-13.

The 22-year-old Indonesian was the sharper of the two in the first game, reeling off eight points in a row to build a 13-4 lead.

The Japanese reigning world champion had no answer to his opponent’s aggression as he meekly surrendered the first game 21-10.

Ginting kept his momentum to surge to a 16-11 lead in the second game but Momota rediscovered his mojo to lead 18-17 for the first time.

The 24-year-old Japanese then kept his nerves in the latter points to clinch the second set 21-19 and force a third game.

Momota found himself trailing again in the deciding game, but his never-say-die mentality saw him win nine consecutive points to go from 12-8 down to lead 17-12.

Ginting managed only one more point as Momota built on his momentum to seal his victory in 73 minutes.

[​IMG]
    Kento Momota sealed his victory in 73 minutes. ST PHOTO: KEVIN LIM

Earlier, world No. 1 Tai Tzu-ying proved too strong for third-ranked Nozomi Okuhara of Japan as she triumphed 21-19, 21-15 in the women's singles final for her second straight title this year.

Taiwanese Tai, the 2017 Singapore Open champion, won the Malaysia Open a week ago.

At the Singapore Indoor Stadium where the finals did not feature a single Chinese player, the 24-year-old was in control from the start, building a 13-8 lead in the first game.

Her Japanese opponent slowly worked her way into the match and levelled the score at 18-18 as their long rallies drew gasps of awe from spectators.

But Tai remained unflappable and closed out the first game.

She stepped up her aggression in the second game, and a smash that landed in the corner of the court sealed the win.

The victory extends Tai's head-to-head record against the Japanese to 5-4 - Okuhara, also 24, won their last meeting in November.

Tai, who saved four match points in the 57-minute semi-final against Japan's Akane Yamaguchi on Saturday, said at the post-match press conference: "(Okuhara) plays more offensively and she's not an easy opponent to play against.

"I know she can run, so I was mentally prepared to run a lot today since I also had a long match yesterday.
    "From the first day of the competition, there were a lot of people cheering for me... today there were even more and I had so many supporters, so I was very touched."

[​IMG]
    The victory extends Tai Tzu-ying's head-to-head record against Nozomi Okuhara to 5-4. ST PHOTO: KEVIN LIM

Okuhara, the 2017 world champion, said: "She's very speedy and skilled, so I had to be careful. I made a lot of easy mistakes, so I couldn't win today.

"I put pressure on myself and I was thinking too much."

Japan clinched two of the three doubles titles, which were all won by third-seeded pairs.

Mayu Matsumoto and Wakana Nagahara beat the unseeded South Koreans Kim Hye Jeong and Kong Hee Yong 21-17, 22-20 in the women’s doubles, while Takeshi Kamura and Keigo Sonoda overcame the Indonesian fourth seeds Mohammad Ahsan and Hendra Setiawan 21-13, 19-21, 21-17 in the men's event.

In the mixed doubles, Thais Dechapol Puavaranukroh and Sapsiree Taerattanachai thumped the unseeded Malaysians Tan Kian Meng and Lai Pei Jing 21-14, 21-6.

Cunning Linguist likes this.
  6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    [​IMG]

Dechapol Puavaranukroh (R)/Sapsiree Taerattanachai of Thailand celebrate with trophies after winning the mixed doubles final match against Malaysia's Tan Kian Meng/Lai Pei Jing at the Singapore Badminton Open held in the Singapore Indoor Stadium on April 14, 2019. Dechapol Puavaranukroh/Sapsiree Taerattanachai won 2-0 and claimed the title of the event. (Xinhua/Then Chih Wey)

Cunning Linguist and twawawau like this.
  7. twawawau

twawawau Regular Member

The reporter interested in MS and WS matches only.... hahaha the other 3 just one liner ~ lol

8. It'sMeMeMe

It'sMeMeMe Regular Member

hmmm i wouldn't have expected DechSap to win....i guess their style - playing more like MD than XD can work...meaning Sapsiree doesn't neccessarily need bigger partner :eek: (i guess same rule apply to YuRisa)

ahaha even more alarm to INA XD coz INA girl so weakling depends too much on the male.....

9. lzhaol

lzhaol Regular Member

The turnout for this edition of SIN Open has been awesome, averaging above 4k spectators from Wed to Sun.
    It nearly broke 5k yesterday (4,965). I think concession tickets plays a part too.

twawawau likes this.
  10. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Are you kidding me? Never. The only one Ginting has a mental block against is no other than himself.

wade and minions like this.
  11. minions

minions Regular Member

So true. The biggest enemy that someone has should be oneself, not the others.

12. kurako

kurako Regular Member

There is no "old game". I realise that you are busy, but if you were to follow Momota's comments to the media (and he is not reticent when it comes to interviews), you would be aware that he both sets new goals and adapts his game depending on his opponent. With regard to Ginting, Momota realises that he cannot win on speed of attack, hence the plan is to rely on his superior defence skills first, and wait for the opportunity to launch an offence. Despite reported problems with his condition (mental rather than physical), Momota managed to hold on in game 2, and rely on this underlying strength.

Actually, this is the third consecutive game that Ginting has lost to Momota. Maybe, it is the former who needs a "rethink".

13. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Yes Ginting should rethink how to make zero mistakes. If Ginting hadn't given away that many points in G2 probably Momota couldn't have been able to catch up or turn the table on him.

14. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Against Momota, it is probably not a case of "giving away points".

15. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Have you ever watched Ginting's matches? He gives away points to everyone not only Momota.

16. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

Which means you basically can't criticize him. Performances like China last year or Singapore this year (up to the second half of the second game) have been the rare exception, so he has performing very well by his standards.

17. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

I'm not criticizing him. I am only frustrated by the fact that the only thing he is consistent at is giving away points to anyone by silly mistakes even when he play against not so great players. If only he performed like in China Open or Singapore Open consistently I would say much less about his errors.

18. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

Yeah, but it is hard to ignore, is it. I was saying he's going to be Momota's main rival for the future back then, but look what happened. 11 tournaments played: 4 first round exits, 2 second rounds, 4 qfs and a solitary sf (at a 300 event). He's dropped to 9th in the rankings, has the worst career winning percentage of all top ten players (even Nishimoto has a better one o_O ).

Performances like the ones in China or in Singapore seem to be exceptions in conditions he really likes. Saying he needs to avoid stop making mistakes is like shouting "faster" at the driver when he's already at maximum velocity. I'm sure AG played as well as he possibly could against KM, errors included.

Maybe it will get better from now on, it would certainly add another dimension to the MS competition.

samkool and fnd80 like this.
  19. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Haha but if you watches his matches personally you could see that the points his opponents won could be 70% from his mistakes :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Either wide, long, net etc etc. That's what so frustrating to watch same mistakes repeated over and over and over again. I mean, if I am not a fan I wouldn't care even a bit. lol
    Performances in China Open or SO were the very few times where he makes much less errors so he could actually score more points than losing them. Well if he just slow down a bit and not rush into things, he might make less error. He's still inexperienced. Get to the final more Ginting and gain more experience.

20. kurako

kurako Regular Member

I previously mentioned that I thought Ginting was over-rated; and there doesn't seem to be much to suggest that he is going to be a top five ranker, ... the same as Nishimoto. At an even younger age than Ginting (who, incidentally, will be turning 23 next month), Momota had already made it to WR2.

As far as Indonesian players are concerned, I get the feeling that Christie may have more potential as an all-round player.

Pcyl likes this.