Singapore Badminton Scene

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by Loh, Jul 2, 2012.

1. ibelieveindevil

ibelieveindevil Regular Member

I cant find any new from her after Rio. There are only 3 competitions she participated in 2018, with Singapore IS and Bahrain IS on week 42 and 44 (Oct - Nov 2018). She withdrawn from Estonian IS last week, and has not registered for any further competition.

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Something isn't right. Hope she has not given up professional badminton.

Master likes this.
  3. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    https://www.businessinsider.sg/sing...ailand-masters-heres-why-its-such-a-big-deal/

Singapore badminton player Loh Kean Yew just beat China’s Lin Dan to win the Thailand Masters – here’s why it’s such a big deal

[​IMG]
    Singaporean shuttler Loh Kean Yew beat Chinese Lin Dan on Jan 13 to claim the Thailand Masters title.
    Video screengrabs from BadmintonWorld.tv YouTube channel

Singapore badminton player Loh Kean Yew just beat China’s Lin Dan to win the Thailand Masters – here’s why it’s such a big deal
    By
    Sean Lim
    Business Insider
    January 14, 2019

Singapore badminton player Loh Kean Yew is the new local hero after he beat out Chinese badminton player Lin Dan to win the Princess Sirivannavari Thailand Masters in Bangkok on Sunday (Jan 13).

Not only is he coming home with a US$150,000 (S$204,000) prize, the 21-year-old has also made history as the first Singaporean to claim a Badminton World Federation World Tour crown. (Correction: Total prize money is USSS$150,000. LKY won only US$11,250 as MS Champion.)

Loh beat Lin 21-19, 21-18 in a 46-minute match that left the audience sitting on the edge of their seats with their mouths agape.
    Initially, the Penang-born athlete trailed in both sets. But with sheer determination and unrelenting patience, things took a turn and he eventually overtook his opponent.

Loh, who moved to Singapore when he was 13, scored the last point when he leaped up into the air and sent a smash down the line that Lin failed to retrieve. He let out a cry of pure ecstasy before collapsing to the ground in relief.

This is also the first time Loh has reached the final of a Level 5 (Super 300) tournament on the BWF World Tour. According to ST, the Thailand Masters is rated a Level 5 tournament, four levels below the world tour’s top-tiered US$1.5 million season finale.

Legendary opponent
    To add to the prestige of winning an international competition, Loh’s competitor Lin Dan is touted as a Chinese badminton legend and ranks 13th best in the world. Meanwhile, underdog Loh is more than a hundred places behind Lin at number 125.

According to The Straits Times (ST), while Loh entered the competition with just four lower-tier titles to his name, Lin had 65 titles – including two Olympic golds and five world titles.

[​IMG]
    Two-time Olympic champion Lin Dan (right) seen here with world no. 4 Chen Long in Singapore.
    The Straits Times

So of course it wasn’t an easy win for Loh.

According to ST, Loh told the on-court interviewer: “He is very experienced and he caught a lot of my shots and it wasn’t easy to stay patient against him.

“I tried to use my youth to my advantage, to try and outrun him, but of course, I am also very tired,” ST quoted Loh as saying.

When he won, Loh said it was “really an honour” to have been able to fulfill his dream of playing against Lin.

“Chinese Slayer”
    After defeating five Chinese players at the Thailand Masters, Loh has been given the nickname “Chinese Slayer” by badminton fans online, reported The New Paper.

But he’s not a big fan of his new nickname.

Loh told ST: “It’s unnecessary pressure, and not so nice. Just call me by my name lah, aiyoh.”

His victories over the Chinese players has even garnered him praise from Chinese badminton, reported ST. Not only did they praise his technique and temperament, they are swooning over his charming, boyish looks.

Done Singapore proud
    Loh’s success has turned him into an overnight sensation in Singapore’s sport scene, with many Singaporeans congratulating him for his win on social media.

Culture, Community and Youth Minister Grace Fu said on Facebook: “Kean Yew – a fantastic achievement and thank you for inspiring all of us to dream big!”

Team Singapore also took to Facebook to congratulate Loh.

“Our Singapore flag is flying high as we stand together with you in this victory,” it wrote.

ST quoted the Singapore Badminton Association (SBA) president Lawrence Leow as saying: “This achievement is especially remarkable as he just returned to the national team last October after serving his national service.

“His win is a great encouragement for everyone on the national team. He has done well for Singapore and we are very proud of him. Kean Yew is one of our players who will be closely watched by others in the international scene.”

Master likes this.
  4. ibelieveindevil

Oh btw, just found out that she was selected to represent singapore in badminton asia team championship, but was not used during the tournament

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    https://www.todayonline.com/sports/...huttler-loh-kean-yew-has-no-regrets-switching

SEA Games: Once Malaysian, Singaporean shuttler Loh Kean Yew has no regrets switching allegiances

[​IMG]
    Singapore's Kean Yew Loh lost 1-2 to Joo Ven Soong from Malaysia in the Badminton Men's Team Semi Final Event. Photo: Jason Quah/TODAY

Published24 August, 2017
    Updated 24 August, 2017
    KUALA LUMPUR — Penang-born badminton player Loh Kean Yew has no regrets switching allegiances to Singapore.

Loh, who now holds Singaporean citizenship, put up a strong fight before going down to Malaysia's Soong Joo Ven in three sets in the men's team event semi-final at the Kuala Lumpur Sea Games (KL2017) on Wednesday night (Aug 23).

Loh, who made his Sea Games debut for Singapore at the 2015 edition, said he is not looking back.
    "I do not regret this decision. They (Singapore) have given me all the support I needed since I continued my studies there when I was 13," said the 20-year-old, after his match on Wednesday.

"I don't deny that my coach in Malaysia had taken care of me and developed my skills; however, I have long studied and adapted to life in Singapore."

Loh's brother Kean Hean, who is two years older, is also part of the Singapore badminton team at KL2017 and had partnered Terry Hee in the men's doubles.

NEW STRAITS TIMES

Master likes this.
  6. ibelieveindevil

Time for an update of the current rankings: I will go by this format:

<current ranking> <ranking at the start of the year> <player name>

Only top 500 will be listed. Only full SGP representatives will be listed

Representative with no match within last 12 months will be marked <retired>

MS
    <77> 125 Kean Yew LOH
    <167> 166 NG Zin Rei Ryan
    <256> 258 Jia Heng Jason TEH
    <299> 299 Muhammad Elaf Wei TAN
    <335> 336 Jia Wei Joel KOH
    <338> 339 Muhamad IMRAN KHAN
    <478> 479 Shi Xuan Dominic SOH

WS
    <44> 53 YEO Jia Min
    <117>109 CHUA Hui Zhen Grace
    <302> 302 LIANG Xiaoyu
    <446> 444 Yue Yann Jaslyn HOOI

MD
    <67> 67 Danny Bawa CHRISNANTA/HEE Yong Kai Terry
    <130> 133 Jian Liang LEE/Guang Liang Jason WONG
    <251> 251 Danny Bawa CHRISNANTA/Bimo Adi PRAKOSO
    <351> 349 Rizky HIDAYAT/LOH Kean Hean
    <446> new Danny Bawa CHRISNANTA/LOH Kean Hean/
    <489> 496 LOH Kean Hean/Bimo Adi PRAKOSO

WD
    <67> 66 Putri Sari Dewi CITRA/Yujia JIN
    <133> 118 ONG Ren-ne/WONG Jia Ying Crystal
    <233> 232 Ker'Sara KOH/Ming Hui LIM
    <340> 338 Yue Yann Jaslyn HOOI/WONG Jia Ying Crystal
    <404> 400 Ming Hui LIM/Lei YAO

XD
    <59> 57 Danny Bawa CHRISNANTA/WONG Jia Ying Crystal
    <83> 81 Bimo Adi PRAKOSO/Yujia JIN
    <94> 94 HEE Yong Kai Terry/Putri Sari Dewi CITRA
    <135> 139 Guang Liang Jason WONG/Putri Sari Dewi CITRA
    <171> 249 Danny Bawa CHRISNANTA/TAN Wei Han
    <237> 234 HEE Yong Kai Terry/ONG Ren-ne
    <499> 499 Danny Bawa CHRISNANTA/Ming Hui LIM

Biggest news this week is of course Loh Kean Yew, who is coincidentally known as LKY, won a WT300 (GPG) event. With the boost in ranking, all top representatives from all 5 disciplines now rank above 100.

For Yeo Jia Min, through her performances in Thailand WT300, she is now the only representative ranked above 50.

Another thing that happened during he week was top double Danny Bawa Chrisnanata paired Tan Wei Han and Loh Kean Hean in XD and MD respectively. Anyone with any knowledge whether this pairing is going to be temporary or permanent please let me know.

As for this week, Yeo Jia Min is playing in the Malaysia 500, while Danny Bawa Chrisnanata / Tan Wei Han and Loh Kean Yew are playing in the Sweden IS

Master and Loh like this.
  7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Unfortunately, Jia Min has lost in the Malaysia Masters

ZHANG Yiman [​IMG]
    -
    [​IMG] YEO Jia Min
    21-18 13-21 21-16 0:51

But Malaysia's Goh beat Zhang in R2 on 17 Jan:

GOH Jin Wei [​IMG][MAS]
    -
    [​IMG][CHN] ZHANG Yiman
    21-13 21-10 [​IMG] [​IMG] 0:30 Axiata

(As many fans would recall, GJW was accepted by our SSS, like LKY, but she was later withdrawn by BAM.)

#1247 Loh, Jan 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    Master likes this.
  8. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Rising Singapore badminton star Loh Kean Yew eyes Olympics after Lin Dan defeat

[​IMG]
    Singapore's Loh Kean Yew shot 48 places up the badminton world rankings to 77th following his victory over Lin Dan. (Photo: AFP/Jane Piyatat)

17 Jan 2019 06:32PM (Updated: 17 Jan 2019 07:57PM)

"It is a big breakthrough, I did not really expect it," the 21-year-old told AFP late Wednesday.

"He's an experienced player so it was not easy to catch him off-guard."

Loh shot 48 places up the world rankings, and is now 77th following his victory over Lin, who was the top seed at the tournament in Bangkok.

He will have to finish far higher up the rankings to qualify for a place at Tokyo 2020 - but he hopes to make enough progress in the coming year to do so.

"My goal is to try to qualify for the Olympics, and then of course try to win the Olympic medal," said Loh.

Loh played down suggestions that he could emulate the success of Joseph Schooling, the Singapore swimmer who won the tiny city-state's first ever Olympic gold medal at Rio in 2016.

But he added: "Nothing is impossible, and I have always been trying to achieve that dream."

For China's Lin, 35, the loss was another crushing blow after a recent run of poor form.

The former world number one, who has earned every major prize in badminton during a stellar career, suffered a string of first-round defeats last year and is currently ranked 13th, below compatriots Shi Yuqi and Chen Long.

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...pore-badminton-star-olympics-lin-dan-11134620

Master likes this.
  9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Rising Singapore badminton star eyes Olympics after Lin Dan defeat
    Published 21 hours ago on 17 January 2019

Malay Mail
    https://www.malaymail.com/s/1713608...inton-star-eyes-olympics-after-lin-dan-defeat

[​IMG]
    Singapore’s Loh Kean Yew makes a return against China’s Lin Dan during the men’s single finals of Thailand Masters in Bangkok January 13, 2019. — Handout by Badminton World Federation via AFP

SINGAPORE, Jan 17 — Rising Singapore badminton star Loh Kean Yew has his sights set on a place at the Tokyo Olympics after a stunning victory against Chinese great Lin Dan in Thailand.

The relatively unknown player beat two-time Olympic champion Lin 21-19, 21-18 to win the Thailand Masters at the weekend.

“It is a big breakthrough, I did not really expect it,” the 21-year-old told AFP late yesterday.

“He’s an experienced player so it was not easy to catch him off-guard.”

Loh shot 48 places up the world rankings, and is now 77th following his victory over Lin, who was the top seed at the tournament in Bangkok.

He will have to finish far higher up the rankings to qualify for a place at Tokyo 2020 — but he hopes to make enough progress in the coming year to do so.

“My goal is to try to qualify for the Olympics, and then of course try to win the Olympic medal,” said Loh.

Loh played down suggestions that he could emulate the success of Joseph Schooling, the Singapore swimmer who won the tiny city-state’s first ever Olympic gold medal at Rio in 2016.

But he added: “Nothing is impossible, and I have always been trying to achieve that dream.”

For China’s Lin, 35, the loss was another crushing blow after a recent run of poor form.

The former world number one, who has earned every major prize in badminton during a stellar career, suffered a string of first-round defeats last year and is currently ranked 13th, below compatriots Shi Yuqi and Chen Long. — AFP

Master likes this.
  10. Master

Master Regular Member

Loh Kean Yew and Yeo Jia Min had been registered in Barcelona Spain Masters (February 19 -24, 2019).

---> Spain Masters 2019 - M&Q Report v1 (Updated Friday, 18th January 2019).

Loh and mantoufist like this.
  11. ibelieveindevil

Great, hopefully the fire doesn't burn out during Chinese new year

12. ibelieveindevil

"qian xian zhui zhong" is having an exclusive for SGP badminton team

13. ibelieveindevil

14. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

Loh likes this.
  15. ibelieveindevil

16. Master

Master Regular Member

RSL Swedish Open 2019 : https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpmgPP4Q2bO12_Z2iGGPpW8DBlG7aB8o9

MS R32 : Loh Kean Yew vs Jeppe Bruun [DEN] : 21-10, 21-9

MS R16 : Loh Kean Yew vs Joran Kweekel [NED] : 19-21, 21-10, 21-9

MS QF : Loh Kean Yew vs Kalle Koljonen [FIN] : 15-21, 21-16, 21-12

MS SF : Loh Kean Yew vs Hashiru Shimono [JPN] : 21-13, 21-18

MS Final : Loh Kean Yew vs Minoru Koga [JPN] : 11-21, 15-21

Loh likes this.
  17. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Giant-killer Loh Kean Yew falls short in quest for second tournament win in as many weeks

[​IMG]
    Loh Kean Yew lost 21-11, 21-15 to Japan's Minoru Koga. (Photo: Facebook/Badminton Europe/Torbjörn Jansson)

By Matthew Mohan
    20 Jan 2019 10:16PM (Updated: 20 Jan 2019 11:19PM)

Loh, 21, was beaten by Japan's Minoru Koga 21-11, 21-15. The Singaporean beat four opponents en route to his match-up with Koga. Loh had edged out Finland's Kalle Koljonen 15-21, 21-16, 21-12 in the semi-final.

The RSL Swedish Open is a Badminton World Federation (BWF) International Series tournament, one grade below the Thailand Masters, a Super 300 tournament (Grade 2).

[​IMG]
    Japan's Minoru Koga and Singapore's Loh Kean Yew. (Photo: Singapore Badminton Association)

Loh is currently ranked 77th in the world, having moved up 48 places following his giant-killing defeat of Lin on Jan 13. He beat the two-time Olympic singles champion 21-19, 21-18.

There was more positive news for Singapore in the mixed doubles however, as Tan Wei Han and Danny Bawa Christnanta beat Denmark's Mikkel Mikkelsen and Mai Surrow in the mixed doubles 21-14, 21-16.

Loh will return to Singapore next to feature in the Singapore National Open Championships from Jan 26 to Feb 1.

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...-yew-falls-short-in-quest-for-second-11145724

Master likes this.
  18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    It is ok for LKY to lose occasionally to learn the ropes and get himself exposed to all sorts of playing styles. So long as he continues to learn and train hard to accumulate more ranking points to give himself a chance to compete in the Tokyo Olympics.

Recently in the Malaysia Masters, the following happened:

"KUALA LUMPUR: World number two Shi Yuqi was handed a shocking 21-12, 16-21, 21-11 defeat by unseeded Liew Daren, who surged into the Malaysia Masters semi-finals on Friday (Jan 18)."

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...r-shi-yuqi-in-shock-loss-in-malaysia-11141942

Master likes this.
  19. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    From fanboy to beating the favourite: Singapore's badminton sensation is just getting started

[​IMG]
    Now that Loh Kean Yew has beaten five-time world champion Lin Dan, the 21-year-old Singapore shuttler has got bigger ambitions.

By Matthew Mohan
    23 Jan 2019 07:14PM (Updated: 24 Jan 2019 12:15AM)

THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS
    Born in Malaysia but groomed in Singapore, Kean Yew's victory over "Super" Dan has seen an online tussle among netizens for ownership of the young giant-killer.

Chendol, nasi lemak - and now add Loh Kean Yew to the list. Not that he is too bothered by it.

"I just find it very funny – every time I read these comments I just laugh," said Kean Yew. "I’m just playing and I just want to win.

"Both Singapore and Malaysia are important, and have played a very big part in my growth."

The 21-year-old has come a long way from a kid who would use the gate outside his home as a net when playing badminton.

"I remember that around the age of four, I would play at the front gate with my brothers," Kean Yew recalled.

"My neighbour would play with us. When I was young he would let us win and gave one of his medals.

"It was actually a swimming medal but I was young and didn’t know what it was. I was just happy to get a medal."

But it wasn't long before the precocious youngster was winning competitions for real.

"When my mother came to pick up my older brother Kean Hean from badminton practice, I would be the one going to tell him it was time to go home," said Kean Yew, who was eight at the time. "It would seem like they were having a lot of fun and the players would ask me when I would join them.

"Once I started playing, I starting winning and was more focused. At the age of 10, that academy had a competition which I won. After a few months, there was a zonal competition which I also won. I played in the state competition and reached the semi-final– there was one every year, and that was my first official tournament."

• [​IMG]
      Kean Yew is Singapore's newest sporting sensation. (Photo: Matthew Mohan)

But at the age of 13, it was time for a move across the Causeway. Convinced by the parents of another Penang-born shuttler Terry Hee, Kean Yew's parents first tried to enroll his older brother in the Singapore Sports School.

"Terry and my brother are the same age, they were badminton partners and (our families are) quite close," said Kean Yew. "Terry came over to Singapore to study first (and) after one year here, his parents told mine that the Sports School was not bad and they could try sending Kean Hean there."

Kean Hean eventually wound up studying at Monfort Secondary School but it was Kean Yew who received a scholarship the following year after catching the eye of the Sports School's coach.

"The first two weeks were very fun because there were no parents," said Kean Yew with a laugh. "But I missed home - I cried by myself for a few nights before calling my mum and crying some more.

"But after that night where I let my emotions out, I stopped crying and calling - until my mum had to call me!"

Despite a grueling schedule of training sessions, lessons, more training sessions and then supervised study time, Kean Yew thrived in his new environment.

"I want to really thank the Sports School, they are really part of my growth," he said. "I was a foreigner but almost everybody took care of me very well."

Having his older brother around also helped, added Kean Yew.

"It was very important have somebody who understands what you are going through," he said. "He would send me to school when it was time to check in (Kean Yew was boarding at the school). I don’t really know how to go there alone and was scared to go back. He sent me from Sengkang to Woodlands and would go back by himself."

Both Kean Hean and Kean Yew would eventually become Singapore citizens several years later.

"It wasn't easy making the decision as I would be away from my parents, but for our education and career, coming to Singapore was necessary," Kean Yew said.

"I have no regrets coming here, becoming a Singaporean and serving National Service. I have spent many years here and I feel like a Singaporean. And I’m proud to wear the Singapore flag on my chest."

But serving National Service did not come without sacrifices, revealed Kean Yew.

"Sometimes, I could only train once a week," he said. "Its quite tough because my 'feel' will be gone ... You lose your touch ... It's hard to train during NS. But I made up my mind that badminton is more important to me. So any free time I had when I booked out, instead of meeting my friends, I would rush to train. Badminton is my life."

But a three-month stint with Denmark's Langhoj Badminton Club after Kean Yew had reached his operationally ready date (ORD) in October last year meant that he sharpened his skills and expanded his arsenal.

"The club members trained very seriously, they don’t give up on shots, they chiong (go) for everything and always try to learn new things," he said. "We would talk after we played and find out how we did different things."

But Kean Yew's biggest takeaway came from four days of training with the Danish national team.

"I saw how they trained, how intensive it was and how focused they were. They may fool around but when its time to train, they take it really seriously," he said.

A chance conversation with former world number one Viktor Axelsen would also see Kean Yew glean a valuable pearl of wisdom.

[​IMG]
      Kean Yew was a bronze medalist in the men's singles and doubles at the 2015 Southeast Asian Games. (Photo: Matthew Mohan)

"I asked him about how he handled pressure. He told me you shouldn’t care what others say, because they are not in your shoes, and you can’t stop them from saying what they say," recalled Kean Yew.

THE 'UNBEATABLE' LIN

Axelsen's words would come back to resonate with Kean Yew after his upset of Lin at the Thailand Masters final on Jan 13.

The youngster had slayed some major opponents en route to the final, including Wang Tzu Wei, ranked 28th in the world, and Brice Leverdez, ranked 27th.

“Nobody expected me to win and I didn’t expect my win. So I just played without pressure,” said Kean Yew.

His last obstacle would be a man Kean Yew had admired for a long time. He'd even asked for a photograph with the Chinese superstar several years ago when they ran into each other at the Singapore Open.

“I thought: 'Wow! I get to play with Lin Dan.' I always want to play with the top-level players. I've watched him and Lee Chong Wei since young – I only know the two of them," said Kean Yew. "He seemed really unbeatable."

But to Kean Yew's surprise, he could take on Lin.

Down 19-14 in the first game, Kean Yew reeled off point after point to win 21-19.

"I never think that I would make a comeback, I just took it point by point," he said. "I was also shocked by the points I was making, I thought he’d be able to get those shots."

Down again in the second game, Kean Yew pressed and pressed.

"I told myself not to think so much, even during the last point I didn’t want to think and lose focus," he added.

Nervous anticipation turned into boundless jubilation when Kean Yew won the second game 21-18.

"I was just happy, so happy," said Kean Yew, recalling that landmark moment. "I called my mother after that and she was very happy. But I couldn’t really hear what she was saying because she was with friends in a car and they all were screaming about the win!"

HIGH HOPES, LOFTY GOALS

His Instagram followers may have swelled to more than 10,000 and some have now begun to recognise him on the street, but level-headed Kean Yew is already looking at his next step.

First up will be Singapore National Open Championships from Jan 26 to Feb 1. Among other tournaments, he will also feature in the Singapore Open in April.

"I would like to perform well because those will be on my home ground and I'd like to win something for Singapore," he said.

"At the end of this year there will be SEA Games and next year there’s the Olympics … It would be my first time going to the Olympics and I would be an underdog. But I want to get some results - hopefully medal and go as far as possible. I want to make the best out of it.

"If you set a goal low, once you reach the goal, you’ll feel satisfied and won't want to go any higher."

In the days and months to come, the nation’s newest crop of shuttlers will spar under the bright lights of the Singapore Sports School’s huge training centre.

As with any other routine session, shuttlecocks will bounce off racquets, instructions will bounce off the four walls and staring down on the students will be glossy posters of some of the game’s biggest superstars - including a certain Lin Dan.

"I always looked up to those players. I always wanted my face to be there," recalled Kean Yew.

After his headline-grabbing victory, he's on the road to achieving that ambition.

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/new...ore-badminton-sensation-beat-lin-dan-11155890

Attached Files:

Master likes this.
  20. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Despite upsetting Lin Dan, S’pore shuttler Loh Kean Yew says he’s ‘not there yet’

By Louisa Tang

[​IMG]
    Koh Mui Fong/TODAY

Just over a week ago, national shuttler Loh Kean Yew (pictured) stunned two-time Olympic gold medallist Lin Dan in the Thailand Masters final, beating him 21-19, 21-18 to clinch the title.

Published24 January, 2019
    Updated 24 January, 2019

SINGAPORE — When national shuttler Loh Kean Yew was seven years old, he decided to join his older brother’s friends in a game of badminton, only to receive constant ribbing from them.

“No one wanted to care about me, but I was still thick-skinned, so I went in to play. They played with me and laughed at me. I was sad and didn’t want to play anymore,” the 21-year-old recounted.

Now, the younger brother has made a name for himself. Just over a week ago, he stunned two-time Olympic gold medallist Lin Dan in the Thailand Masters final, beating him 21-19, 21-18 to clinch the title.

The victory made headlines on the international circuit and caused his world ranking to rocket 48 places to 77th. But to him, life has not changed that much.

In an interview with TODAY on Wednesday (Jan 23), he said matter-of-factly: “People expect more from me, but Lin Dan is just one of them. There’re still many more players and many higher levels of competition.

“I think there’s still a long way to go... it’s normal to expect more from me, but I shouldn’t be caring so much about that. I know I’m not there yet so people shouldn’t expect so much from me, and I’m not expecting anything from myself.”

While veterans such as two-time Olympian Derek Wong have retired, Kean Yew said that the Singapore badminton scene is “now coming up to the standards”.

“Grooming young players is a good foundation. We all start young. It’ll be good if there’s a senior to guide us, like Derek last time… but having all the young players is a good thing. We can all motivate each other and all start together,” he said.

Fresh off his shock win, the young shuttler wants more silverware for his collection. He has three bronze medals from the South-east Asian (SEA) Games — one singles, two team — and is gunning for more later this year in the Philippines, where the 30th SEA Games will be held.

“I want to be able to win and hopefully get more than bronze. I have a few but don’t have other colours,” he joked.

Beyond that, Kean Yew is looking to qualify for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. It will be his first time there if he succeeds, and he is setting a lofty goal for himself, something that Singapore has not achieved so far — to win an Olympic medal in badminton.

But first, there is the Singapore National Open Championships this weekend, and then the Singapore Open in April.

“I’ll be able to play on home ground, so hopefully I can perform well and give the home crowd a good show,” he said.

JOURNEY FROM MALAYSIA TO SINGAPORE

His older brother arrived in Singapore a year before him and studied at Montfort Secondary School.

While visiting him here, Kean Yew caught the eye of a Singapore Sports School coach and was offered a foreign sports scholarship to come to Singapore to train.

In the wake of his win over “Super Dan”, Malaysians and Singaporeans alike have sparred over who “owns” him. But he is not fazed by that — both countries have played a big part in his career, he said.

“Some people say Singapore bought us over, some people say Malaysia kicked us over, but to us, that’s not the case. My parents wanted us to come here to study and play badminton. It’s more the players and parents’ choices,” he added. “We’re here to better the sport.”

Ultimately, the Singapore Sports School alumnus did well enough in competitions to be invited to the national team with his brother. The two now live together in a rented room in the north-eastern part of Singapore.

“Folding clothes and everything, usually we’ll fight about it because we will both be lazy and tired. When I was doing National Service (NS), he tried to help. Now he’s in NS, I try to help... I do all the things, he won’t admit it anyway,” Kean Yew said with a laugh.

During his time in NS, where he served as a driver, Kean Yew could train only on Saturdays. Life got a little easier when he went on course for three months and could train at night.

“It was a big problem, but luckily the coach who helped me would fetch me home after training. I needed to wake up at 5am and could only fall out at 6pm, so I would just take a taxi to training. NS pay is not a lot and I still had to pay rent, so it was really very ‘chor’ (Hokkien for ‘tiring’),” he said.

Still, he finds time to go back to Penang to visit his parents and two other older brothers once or twice a year.

When asked what he does there, he beamed and said: “I like to eat. All the local stuff and delicacies — char kway teow, laksa, curry mee, ice kacang...”

On that note, he sought to dispel rumours that he can make sushi, as his ActiveSG profile claims.

“I only did it one time. They asked us to write the biography and asked us for any interesting facts. I remembered that I made sushi the day before, so I just put that in. Then I wanted to change it but I’ve not been able to!” he said.

Master likes this.