Singapore Badminton Scene

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by Loh, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I guess Singapore has to be contented with its limited resources.

Unlike China and India and even Japan and S Korea, which have sizeable populations as well, Singapore has a relatively much smaller critical mass for almost everything. This includes badminton (and soccer), and not a few of our friends in this column had lamented why we are not able to produce credible players who can match those from other countries at the world stage.

Even in swimming, our most talented Joseph Schooling, will find it hard to win an Olympic medal at Rio 2016. And that's as far as we dare to dream, just one medal or two from him at best.

But it is not to say we cannot improve.

Indeed a passionate and committed SBA Management Committee can find better ways to revitalize badminton from the very base involving the schools, both from the primary and secondary, to the tertiary institutions right up to university. The grassroots level must also be encouraged as they will be the ones more likely to continue to support the game for a very long time.

I'm sure the SBA must already have on-going programmes along these lines. Whether or not they are sufficient or effective is left to be seen.

But, alas, at the National level, which represents a culmination of their efforts on all their other programmes these past years, much more is expected. The unexpected and sometimes shocking incidents on the retiring of foreign coaches, resignation of senior players, etc, left much to be desired.

Now, although we have a local head coach to oversee the national team for the first time, and we should be proud, the burden must be very heavy for a newbie to prepare for the forthcoming Rio Olympics 2016.

2. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    If you don't even have 10 tournaments for the kids to expose themselves locally. You can forget about bringing up local talents. Enjoy life. Don't waste time talking about it. Wishful thinking. ;)

3. Bieffe

Bieffe Regular Member

Engineer
    Just see the soccer scene u will know. Till date where have we gone. Not very far. Too much red tape.
    Ppl in the region that don't even have proper shoes & fields can beat us.
    Lucky badminton not so reliant on FT. Like ping pong...simply not worth watching literally buying medals.

4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Chua takes on a different form of national service

[​IMG]

Chua Yong Joo, the next Singapore Badminton Association chief coach, will take over in October and wants to hone his players' self-belief.ST PHOTO: YEO KAI WEN

Published
    Aug 3, 2015, 5:00 am SGT

May Chen
    maychen@sph.com.sg

As the Singapore Badminton Association (SBA)'s longest-serving employee, Chua Yong Joo can joke that he has become part of the furniture.

But 14 years on, having been a full-time national player, trainee coach, team manager and senior technical manager, he admits it is now - as chief coach - that he is truly in the "hot seat".

The 36-year-old was announced as the SBA's new chief coach last week, the first local-born person to helm the national team. He will succeed Liu Qingdong in October.

The SBA has relied on foreign coaching expertise for more than a decade. Hamid Khan, who served as director of coaching from 1999 to 2002, was the last local-born person to fill a coaching role.

"It's a challenge. It's a big task," he told The Straits Times shortly after the SBA's surprise announcement.

EMPATHY THROUGH EXPERIENCE

I've been through this system as a player, and through the positions that I've held in the SBA. I can understand what the players are facing and the struggles that they have.

CHUA YONG JOO, who will be Singapore's first local-born national badminton chief coach

Chua will go from largely coordinating matters such as sports science support and looking into youth and coach development as the SBA's director of team performance to also taking on a front-end role when he doubles up as chief coach in a few months' time.

Not that he is intimidated. Having understudied the SBA's coaches over the past decade and led the team to the SEA Games and the Olympics, he feels he has more than earned his stripes.

Said Chua, who is married to former shuttler and 2008 Olympian Jiang Yanmei:

"I've been through this system as a player, and through the positions that I've held in the SBA. I can understand what the players are facing and the struggles that they have."

Chua is inheriting a largely young and inexperienced team. Senior players such as Gu Juan, Yao Lei, Ashton Chen, Terry Yeo and Huang Chao have departed, leaving Liang Xiaoyu, 19, Yeo Jia Min, 16, and Loh Kean Yew, 18, with big shoes to fill.

The youthfulness of the team - coupled with what Chua perceives as a gradual move away from relying on foreign talent - is why he feels the national players need room to grow, and time to achieve.

"It's a work in progress," he said, when asked if he is satisfied with where the national team are currently at. "Over the years, there has been a move to more local-borns in our team. There have also been more local-born players stepping out and taking up this path."

The shuttlers have had an encouraging turnabout after a torrid 2013.

That year, no Singaporean made the last eight of the Singapore Open - the team's worst showing since the 2006 edition - and the squad returned with just one bronze from the SEA Games in Myanmar.

After Liu became chief coach following sweeping changes at the start of 2014, the team have won silvers in the men's singles and doubles, as well as a mixed team bronze at the Commonwealth Games.

"We've made progress and some of our young players have done well on the junior circuit," said Chua.

"But the game, once you reach the senior circuit, is quite different."

Chua wants the team to believe they can challenge the world's best, and even win. That, he feels, is his biggest challenge.

He said: "Our players need this mental strength and self-belief."

The ultimate target, for Chua, is for Singapore to be on the podium at the Olympics.

"It's not going to be easy at all. And it'll take a lot of time and hard work to achieve it."

But should Chua's ultimate dream come to fruition, he can then proudly boast that the old furniture in the SBA office also has some gloss to it.

(I admire Chua's courage and confidence to take on this demanding job. I hope he will get all the support he needs especially on technical matters such as sports science, to give his charges the extra ammunition that can propel them to greater heights. I like the fact that Chua is taking on this responsibility as a patriot, like doing National Service. With passion and commitment, Chua will undoubtedly give of his best.

I can only wish him well and hope he can succeed and give Singapore badminton fans the joy that they have been yearning for a long time. And I hope our national players will regain their confidence and take advantage of what Chua has in store for them. As a fellow Singaporean, I'm sure Chua will want them to do well too.)

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Shuttler Huang Chao bids farewell

TODAY

By Low Lin Fhoong
    linfhoong@mediacorp.com.sg -

Published: 4:16 AM, August 1, 2015

SINGAPORE — The national badminton team has been hit by another player retirement, with Huang Chao, a bronze medallist (mixed team) at the 2014 Commonwealth Games choosing to hang up his racket for good.

The 23-year-old, who joined the Singapore Badminton Association (SBA) on the Foreign Sports Talent Scheme in 2004 before getting his citizenship six years later, will quit competitive badminton in September because of a shoulder injury. In a statement issued by the SBA yesterday, Chew Keet Hou, director of team administration, said: “It is sad to see Huang Chao retire from the Singapore national badminton team as he has been with us since 2004.

“Huang recently dislocated his right shoulder (playing arm), which was the catalyst for his retirement. Furthermore, Huang was not able to find the breakthrough needed to take his personal game to greater heights since reaching the quarterfinals in the 2010 Youth Olympics Games in Singapore.”

The SBA has seen a number of retirements from its national squad in recent years, including 2011 SEA Games women’s singles gold medallist Fu Mingtian, former world No 16 Gu Juan, doubles player Yao Lei, and men’s singles player Ashton Chen.

The national sports association’s coaching set-up has also seen a number of changes in the past five years, with Chua Yong Joo appointed as its new chief coach on Wednesday. Chua replaces Liu Qingdong, who quit after the SEA Games following 18 months on the job. Two years ago, a series of poor performances from the national shuttlers saw the SBA conducting an internal review, with Liu appointed chief coach in place of former All-England champion Luan Ching and technical adviser Yoo Yong Sung.

Despite the news of Huang’s retirement, the SBA is confident that veteran Derek Wong, a men’s singles silver medallist at the Glasgow Commonwealth Games, and teenager Loh Kean Yew will be able to deliver results for the team.

Chew added: “Although it is a pity to see Huang retire, the men’s national team led by top local shuttler Derek Wong, is in good hands. While there is a young team at the moment, there have been some promising results from these athletes such as Loh Kean Yew, who earned a bronze medal at the recent SEA Games at just the age of 17.”

6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Huang quits s'pore team

[​IMG] Huang Chao is expected to remain in Singapore and has not ruled out the possibility of working with the Singapore Badminton Association in future.ST FILE PHOTO

Published
    Aug 1, 2015, 5:00 am SGT

Shoulder problem and lack of major breakthrough lead to his decision to resign

May Chen
    maychen@sph.com.sg

National badminton player Huang Chao is hanging up his racket for good, having played for Singapore since 2010.
    The 22-year-old, whose resignation has been accepted by the Singapore Badminton Association (SBA), will leave the national team at the end of this month.

A dislocation to his shoulder this year - which took Huang out of participating in June's SEA Games - had contributed to the decision.

He could not be reached for comment yesterday, as he is currently on leave in China.
    It is understood that the China-born shuttler's struggle to reach a breakthrough in his career had also been a factor.
    SMASHED HOPES
    The doctors have told him that there's a chance of him dislocating his shoulder again if he uses too much force...
    if he can't do hard smashes, he loses the ultimate weapon in his game.
    CHEW KEET HOU Singapore Badminton Association director of team administration
    Huang, who is ranked world No. 180 and reached a career high of No. 121 in 2011, had been in discussion with the SBA over his future.
    SBA director of team administration Chew Keet Hou told The Straits Times yesterday that while Huang has recovered from his shoulder injury, it remains a concern for the powerfully-built, 1.84m-tall player.
    "The doctors have told him that there's a chance of him dislocating his shoulder again if he uses too much force," said Chew.
    "That is quite a blow to him because his game is largely built around his strong offence, and if he can't do hard smashes, he loses the ultimate weapon in his game."

It is understood that Huang aims to remain here. While nothing has been finalised, he is open to contributing to the SBA in the future.
    Huang, who is a Hubei native, came to Singapore at the age of 12 in 2004 under the Foreign Sports Talent Scheme.
    The three-time provincial junior champion, whose father Huang Kai was a national player for China in the 1980s, became a citizen in 2010. That year, he was Singapore's lone badminton representative at the inaugural Youth Olympic Games (YOG).
    He made it to the quarter-finals, upsetting India's second seed B. Sai Praneeth along the way.

The YOG remains the biggest highlight of Huang's career.
    Said Chew: "Huang Chao hasn't had a breakthrough in the senior circuit since then.
    "It's really unfortunate that he's injured his shoulder, and that's had a huge impact on his game.
    "He is still very young so, in that sense, he's unable to go on further to really fully realise his potential."
    Huang was part of the squad who won men's team bronzes at the 2009 and 2011 SEA Games.
    He also played a part in the mixed team bronze at last year's Glasgow Commonwealth Games.
    Meanwhile, Singapore's squad - including men's singles player Derek Wong, women's singles player Chen Jiayuan, doubles players Vanessa Neo, Shinta Mulia Sari and Danny Bawa Chrisnanta - will be competing at the world championships in Jakarta from Aug 10.

7. sen

sen Regular Member

I disagree completely.

I did not think Singapore badminton in the past had success. Apart from a few individual success, some Commonwealth and Sea Games medal. There is nothing to show on world level when most of the best compete.

No consistency too.

Time has changed, it is time to be completely free. What is independent if we still have to rely on government ? (sorry to write this on Singapore birthday)

But I always dislike any government in the world. I also mostly dislike any national sport association.

8. leejunlong999

leejunlong999 Regular Member

student
    cant disagree on that one. The SBA should do one important thing and that is start recruiting Local Talent. Foreign talent is not proving any results. Even if they do.Most of them would leave eventually. Lets say a china player reps SG in olympics. He or she wins Gold. Its not SG glory but china. Its just like China lending is a weapon to fight a war. how would singsporeans feel if they cant even win for their own countries.

9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Sorry double posting.

#329 Loh, Aug 7, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  10. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    You said it. Anything concerning any government in the world, you are anti-government, even anti-national sport association, which may not be government-led.

Then why do you think we need any form of government? Are you saying you want to govern yourself? To be completely free?

If everyone is free to do his own thing, what will happen to society? Free to own your own gun to defend yourself, even to the extent of killing innocent people? Free to do whatever you like, even at the expense of others? Then it will degrade to become a lawless society. People will have to look over their shoulders and to defend themselves whenever they are out in the open.

For your information, Singapore is succeeding today largely because of government efforts, especially in its early years as a nation-state. I doubt you are a Singaporean with that kind of thinking you are having. Remember not all governments are corrupt and corruption in sports also extends to private organizations. Just think about the controversy surrounding FIFA today.

It is the people behind the organizations that can make or break them. The SBA is not a government organization although the president is a member of the government. Most of the committee members are not related to the government and I assume they must be interested in the game to bother to volunteer their services.

Singapore is ranked relatively low in world badminton and needs to take incremental steps to pick itself up. One should not be too ambitious with Singapore at the world stage, especially when it was beset with a series of internal problems not too long ago.

The international competition is so fierce that even many of the previous badminton powerhouses are finding the going tough and they have to revamp in order to find the right solutions. So tiny Singapore should not be too discouraged but should continue with its efforts to promote badminton.

#330 Loh, Aug 7, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  11. sen

sen Regular Member

I dislike any government in the world and association in the world is because I feel that everyone should learn to survive and be successful on their own and not expecting the government to solve their problems.

Similarly, I feel that there is no need for the sport association to solve all the problems.

I do not want to argue about whether there are lawless society or not because my point is not that we should not have law and regulation. My point is not whether there should be government or not.

My point is as individual we should not depend on the government to solve all our problems. I never mentioned there should not be any law. My argument is also that if government involved in deciding to many things, the result ends up badly.

In business, entrepreneurs thrive on things when there are little rules involved. The internet in the past created many new business and jobs. The internet is not a government invention. Rather it was created in between university people where they were thinking what kind of communication that can still be working even when there are wars. The internet then was regulated in many countries because government thinks it is for the greater good of society when in the end it actually stifle creativity and entrepreneurship.

Remember people used to think that Microsoft was bad and tried to monopolise the internet. Some tried to use government to impose anti-monopoly law but in the end it was creativity that cause the other companies to catch up, not regulation. Now, we looked back, was the government able to solve that problem or it is just human will(Steve Jobs and his Apple team)

With all the money Microsoft had, they can not monopolise new things like social media, instead it is all the new companies, like facebook and twitter.

Likewise, I believe that sports association are needed but there are no need for them to be involved in too many things, just ensure level-playing field and don't be corrupt.

I agree with you, some government are better than others because they are less corrupt. Some government think they should regulate things in order for the country to advance but actually in order to advance, there should be less regulation, just ensure level-playing field and don't be corrupt.

12. Bieffe

Bieffe Regular Member

Engineer
    Well some ppl have spoken out of context. I will just see who is placed there. Sometimes if the person is from some political party just bcos he is not wearing the shirt doesn't mean he/she isn't look beyond this person. Most likely using it for exposure.
    We have given too many excuses. Too many red tape. That's why till today nothing. How countries like China get mutiple medals....is because the sports people train dame hard...is not the equipment not the facilities is simply the players.

13. blabl

blabl Regular Member

So sorry to have to say this and no offence here. Really no offense. I hope what I have said will not setup any arguments here. I think what the SBA needs to do is to start scouting for young players and try to rope in local talents and train them since young. It is not a good idea to depend so much on foreign important talents as they will end up leaving Singapore anyway. This has been seen in so many cases and it is really time to accept the true facts. Singapore has been relying on so many foreign players all this while. Sad to say all these imported players are forced to resign and leave the sport due to injuries. This is rather alarming and is not healthy. If Singapore can produce more local players it will be good for the sport. I really hope to see a Singapore badminton squad that comprises of local Singapore players and not a badminton squad that comprises of 80% imported players like the current squad now. So much money have been invested to train the foreign players but it all comes to nothing when most of them quit the sport and return to their own country. It is really a waste of resources and money. Like it or not I have come to accept the reality that this will happen when we depend so much on imported players. Yes, it is true as said by so many people that table tennis squad all consisted of imported China players so there is no glory in it. People around the world have eyes to see for themselves. There is no point in self denial and think that everything is good. People around the world can see it for themselves. So unless Singapore starts to train local players sorry to say I don't see how Singapore can excel in badminton. Well all these are just personal opinion and I just hope that it will not make anyone angry or annoyed. Hope it will also not create any heated up arguments or issues later. Thank you.

14. amleto

amleto Regular Member

That is all two sentences? Really?

15. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I must say you kept repeating yourself and saying "no offence" as an excuse is not reflecting your sincerity.

And I have said that Singapore is a unique country out of desperation that thrives on getting talented people, both local and foreign, to make contributions to our various sectors, including sports. That was how Singapore's success was made since 50 years of our independence from Malaysia and our pioneer leaders who made this happen were from varied multi-ethnic backgrounds, many of whom were not even born in Singapore.

Through the years, many foreigners also found Singapore an ideal place to live, work, play and raise their children and thus many of them joined us to become Singapore citizens to further the dreams that they have.

This ideal of making Singapore a place for all by our founding fathers, "regardless of race, language or religion to build and to work as one united people", is thus ingrained in our own culture now, with National Service as a lasting bond for our young men of 18 and above to really get to know one another better and to fight for the ideals that Singapore stand for.

So please don't continue to put down foreign-born sports personalities who are now our own citizens as they strive to make greater contributions to Singapore society.

Especially from today, our 50th SG 50 Birthday.

16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Glory days of local shuttlers

I remember... Singapore badminton in the 1960s

[​IMG] Former badminton player Lee Kin Tat (above) was “Singapore’s star in the 1960s”, writes pioneer layer Tan Chong Tee in his book, Upholding The Legacy – Singapore Badminton. Dr Lee could execute a smash from any corner of the court. ST PHOTO: YEO KAI WEN

[​IMG] Dr Lee beat the famed Erland Kops of Denmark at the All-England championships in 1964, but lost in the semi-final to eventual champion Knud Aage Nielsen of Denmark. ST FILE PHOTO

Published
    Aug 16, 2015, 5:00 am SGT

Ho Ai Li
    hoaili@sph.com.sg

Wembley, London. April 2, 1964.
    Erland Kops of Denmark, winner of the All-England badminton championships five times in the last six years, was a match point away from winning the match at one set up and 14-9 in the second set.

But his opponent Lee Kin Tat, a university student from Singapore, was not giving up. The Guardian newspaper reported that he "began to play some superb smashes to Kops' forehand, saved three match points and squared at one game all".

The giant-killer outlasted Kops by two sets to one. But the title eluded him when he lost in the semi-final to eventual champion Knud Aage Nielsen of Denmark.
    This week in 1965, the Singapore player faced Kops again, as part of a British Commonwealth team which played badminton powerhouse Denmark in London. This time, the Dane won.
    "In the 1960s, Malaya was still strong. China had not appeared on the scene," Dr Lee, who holds a physics doctorate from Imperial College, told The Sunday Times.
    The badminton powers then were Malaya, Denmark, Sweden, Indonesia and possibly India, said Dr Lee, now 76.
    Malaya and Singapore were badminton powerhouses and the sport peaked in Singapore in the 1930s, wrote pioneer player Tan Chong Tee in his book, Upholding The Legacy - Singapore Badminton.
    The British had brought the game to Singapore and it became popular with the mushrooming of courts and wide media coverage.
    The Singapore Badminton Association (SBA) was set up in 1934 and with its associated clubs, helped produce outstanding players in Singapore and Malaya, most notably Wong Peng Soon, an All-England champion.
    Dr Lee was "Singapore's star in the 1960s", wrote Tan in his book, noting that the player was able to execute a smash from any corner of the court.
    The oldest of five children was born in Perak to rubber magnate Lee In Tong. He later moved to Penang, then Singapore, where he studied at St Joseph's Institution.
    The schoolboy champion was 19 when he served notice of his talent by upsetting top Singapore players Omar Ibrahim and V.S.S. Nathan. He later moved to London to study at Imperial College and played in Britain and Europe.
    Recalling his memorable match against Kops, he said: "The crowd was very excited because the guy was on top of the world and not off form. But I managed to play very well that day. It was no fluke."
    He lost in the semi-finals but won 12 titles from the autumn of 1963 to April 1964. "That was my best year. I should have won the All-England but I was too excited. I didn't have enough rest," he said.
    Dr Lee retired from competitive badminton in 1973 and later served as president of the SBA and secretary-general of the Asian Badminton Confederation.
    A grandfather of three who now runs his own financial business, he said he had no formal coaching but got tips from players like the late Ong Poh Lim, famous for his "crocodile serve".
    Said Dr Lee: "It's your training, your determination and perseverance. You have to be a fighter. You don't give up."

17. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    OUE Singapore International Series 2015

[TABLE="class: ruler matches"]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD]Time
    [/TD]
    [TD]Draw
    [/TD]
    [TD="colspan: 3"][/TD]
    [TD]Score
    [/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]Duration
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH="class: largeheader, colspan: 11"]Main Location - Court 1
    [/TH]
    [/TR]
    [TR="bgcolor: transparent"]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD]1.
    [/TD]
    [TD]Starting at 1:30 PM
    [/TD]
    [TD]MS
    [/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]
    [TABLE]
    [TD="align: right"]Iskandar Zulkarnain Zainuddin [1]
    [/TD]
    [TD][​IMG][MAS]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]-
    [/TD]
    [TD]
    [TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD][​IMG][MAS]
    [/TD]
    [TD]Teck Zhi Soo [3]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [TD]21-11 21-15
    [/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][​IMG]
    [/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]0:33
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD]2.
    [/TD]
    [TD]Followed by
    [/TD]
    [TD]WD
    [/TD]
    [TABLE]
    [TD="align: right"]Apriani Apriani [2]
    [/TD]
    [TD][​IMG][INA]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD="align: right"]Jauza Fadhila Sugiarto
    [/TD]
    [TD][​IMG][INA]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [/TD]
    [TD]
    [TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD][​IMG][INA]
    [/TD]
    [TD]Melvira Oklamona [7]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][​IMG][INA]
    [/TD]
    [TD]Rika Rositawati
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [TD]22-20 16-21 21-10
    [/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][​IMG]
    [/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]1:00
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD]3.
    [/TD]
    [TD]Followed by
    [/TD]
    [TD]WS
    [/TD]
    [TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: right"]Gregoria Mariska
    [/TD]
    [TD][​IMG][INA]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [/TD]
    [TD]
    [TABLE]
    [TD][​IMG][SIN]
    [/TD]
    [TD]Jia Min Yeo
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [TD]22-20 21-15
    [/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][​IMG]
    [/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]0:31
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD]4.
    [/TD]
    [TD]Followed by
    [/TD]
    [TD]XD
    [/TD]
    [TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: right"]Hafiz Faisal [2]
    [/TD]
    [TD][​IMG][INA]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: right"]Shella Devi Aulia
    [/TD]
    [TD][​IMG][INA]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [/TD]
    [TD]
    [TABLE]
    [TD][​IMG][THA]
    [/TD]
    [TD]Tinn Isriyanate [5]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD][​IMG][THA]
    [/TD]
    [TD]Savitree Amitrapai
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [TD]21-14 21-17
    [/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][​IMG]
    [/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]0:35
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD]5.
    [/TD]
    [TD]Followed by
    [/TD]
    [TD]MD
    [/TD]
    [TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: right"]Yong Kai Terry Hee
    [/TD]
    [TD][​IMG][SIN]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: right"]Kean Hean Loh
    [/TD]
    [TD][​IMG][SIN]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [/TD]
    [TD]
    [TABLE]
    [TD][​IMG][INA]
    [/TD]
    [TD]Hardianto Hardianto [7]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][​IMG][INA]
    [/TD]
    [TD]Kenas Adi Haryanto
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [TD]13-21 21-16 21-19
    [/TD]
    [TD][/TD]
    [TD][​IMG]
    [/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]0:55
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    Great to note that Singapore entered the Finals in WS and MD. In WS, qualifier Yeo Jia Min surprised by being the runner-up, losing in the final to Gregoria Mariska of Indonesia. In the semis, Jia Min beat Taiwan's Hsu Wen Chi (2) in a close encounter 21-12, 18-21, 21-18. Earlier Wen Chi has knocked out the much publicized Goh Jin Wei of Malaysia, 21-16, 21-15. Perhaps the best performance is from our MD of Terry Hee and Loh Kean Hean, elder brother of Loh Kean Yew who unfortunately lost in the early rounds, who were crowned champions after beating the mighty 7th seed Indonesian pair. Even the famous reunited experienced Malaysian pair of Koo Kien Keat and Tan Boon Heong (2) lost to Hardianto and Kenas (7) in the semis. So it was a great accomplishment by our young doubles pair.

18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    S$75 million set aside for ASEAN Para Games

Sorry wrong post.

19. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I'd still rule badminton today if I were in my prime, says Hartono

[​IMG]Ruddy Hartono
    TNP PHOTO: JEREMY LONG

http://www.tnp.sg/sports/all-other-...dminton-today-if-i-were-my-prime-says-hartono

I'd still rule badminton today if I were in my prime, says Hartono.

Indonesian great believes 
he would rule badminton if he were in his prime today.

The New Paper

Sep 30, 2015 6:00
    By SAZALI ABDUL AZI

He holds the record for the number of men's singles titles at the All England Open Badminton Championships, winning seven straight from 1968 to 1974 and adding an eighth in 1976.

And legendary Indonesian shuttler Rudy Hartono, regarded by many as one of the greatest in history, believes he would still rule the sport if he were in his prime today.

The 66-year-old was in town at the invitation of the local Badminton Coaches Association to speak at its inaugural Coaches Seminar at the Civil Service Club's Tessensohn clubhouse yesterday.

When The New Paper asked him if he would be No. 1 today: "It depends. If I prepare well, in terms of physical fitness, mental strength and technical strategy, then I would have the confidence to win."

"So I can say yes."

Hartono was the undisputed king of his era.

At the 1972 Olympics in Munich, he eased to victory by beating Dane Svend Pri 15-6, 15-1 in the final, although badminton was only a demonstration sport at the Games then.

It only became an official Olympic sport at the 1992 Games in Barcelona.

In his only crack at the World Championships in 1980, Hartono claimed the title at the ripe old age of 31.

By then, he was far past his prime.

PEAK

He believes he was at the peak of 
his powers when he was actually a teenager, between 18 and 20 years old.

Hartono was the leading light in a successful era for Indonesian badminton, with the great Liem Swie King succeeding him.

Taufik Hidayat, the 2002 Olympic gold medallist who retired two years ago, was Indonesia's last great player, as China, with Lin Dan and now Chen Long, usurped the South-east Asian country as the top badminton nation in the world.

Indonesia's male shuttlers have won the prestigious Thomas Cup 13 out of the 28 times it has been played - but the last was in 2002.

It is a decline that saddens Hartono, who says the only way Indonesian badminton can rise again is if its government actively promotes the sport in schools.

"If the Indonesian government realises and wants to change the system and support the development of badminton by pumping more funds and also creating better infrastructure, then maybe," he said.

"We have to promote badminton in schools, from elementary level upwards.

"That's what's lacking now."

At yesterday's seminar, Hartono touched on the topic of making a 
top player with over 100 local coaches.

"Singapore has an advantage because you can push (badminton) in the schools, because every school here has an indoor hall," said Hartono.

"So, the next important thing is 
upgrading every coach in Singapore.

"Hopefully that is what the Badminton Coaches Association can do."

20. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    SBA President stepping down from political post, hopefully more time for badminton

Mr Lee Yi Shyan stepping down due to health issues

[​IMG] Mr Lee Yi Shyan. TODAY file photo

By Angela Teng
    angelateng@mediacorp.com.sg

Published: 2:29 PM, September 30, 2015

SINGAPORE – A mini stroke suffered earlier this year was a reason why Mr Lee Yi Shyan, Senior Minister of State for Trade and Industry and National Development, opted to step down from his post.
    “Many of my friends have asked me about my health and it is true … I was hospitalised for a mini stroke in May this year,” Mr Lee told reporters on the sidelines of the Manufacturing Solutions Expo today.

“(After) that episode, many friends have advised (me) to look at life differently and to perhaps change gears … but still remain productive and useful but take on something that would best suit this stage of my life. So I thought this was good advice.”
    Before relinquishing his post tomorrow, Mr Lee thanked the supporters, volunteers and residents who had supported him in his last elections and added that he will continue to serve as a Member of Parliament (MP) for East Coast GRC, an area he has been representing since 2006.
    “First of all I want to thank all my supporters and volunteers, my residents and all that supported me in the last elections. As an MP in the next five years for the East Coast GRC, I will do my utmost to serve them as I have mentioned in various platforms ... we have many ongoing projects to be completed. We have new plans to be drawn up in consultations with residents in some areas like eldercare and child care. We need to enhance the capacity to service this segment of our population in East Coast because as you know there are new families and also an aging population.”
    Mr Lee also said stepping from his post would allow him to have more time to see to residents’ needs.
    “Definitely I will have more flexibility in attending to my residents needs but I also hope to find something to do in the daytime,” he said.