Singapore Also Can

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Loh, May 4, 2009.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    http://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...ernational-baccalaureate-exams-with-9732-pass

Singapore tops Asia-Pacific in International Baccalaureate exams with 97.32% pass rate

upload_2017-1-4_23-24-38.png
    File photograph of International Baccalaureate students from Anglo-Chinese School (Independent) receiving their results.PHOTO: ST FILE

Lydia Lam
    lydialam@sph.com.sg

Singapore has topped the list of Asia-Pacific countries that took the Nov 2016 examinations for the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme, with a pass rate of 97.32 per cent.

The 1,849 students from Singapore who sat the exams scored an average total points score of 38.27 points of the maximum 45 points, IB said in a press release on Wednesday (Jan 4).

Fifty-seven students from Singapore achieved the perfect score of 45, making up more than half of the 93 perfect-score students from the Asia-Pacific region.

Australia came in second in the region, with a pass rate of 94.07 per cent, an average total points score of 34.56 out of 45 and 32 students scoring full marks.

Japan was lowest in the region with a pass rate of 76.92 per cent, an average total points score of 30.10 and no student achieving the maximum score.

Asia Pacific saw 5,205 students taking part, while 14,071 students took the exam session worldwide.

As a region, Asia Pacific outperformed global scores, with a pass rate of 91.3 per cent and an average total points score of 34.82.

The global pass rate was 70 per cent, and the average total points score 29.21.

Students from IB World Schools in the Asia-Pacific region who sat the November exam session last year will receive their results on Wednesday.

In 2016, a total of 161,344 students received IB diplomas, a 6 per cent increase from the year before.

IB director-general Dr Siva Kumari in IB's release congratulated the new graduates and wished them success.

She said the graduates "join an ever-growing community of IB alumni across the world, a group well-equipped to contribute productively wherever they choose".

"Their preparation for entry to higher education is second to none, and the most highly-reputed universities recognise DP graduates as holistic, well-rounded individuals who can perform successfully wherever they choose to study," added Dr Siva.

Founded in 1968, IB now has more than 1.3 million students in more than 4,580 schools in more than 150 countries and territories.

In Asia Pacific, IB supports more than 770 schools, providing more than 1,100 IB programmes.

Master likes this.
  2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Raffles Country Club to make way for KL-Singapore High-Speed Rail

The club announced the move on its website.
    [​IMG]
    File photo of Raffles Country Club. (Photo: Winnie Goh)

SINGAPORE: The 143-hectare Raffles Country Club site in Tuas will be acquired by authorities to make way for the Kuala Lumpur-Singapore High-Speed Rail project.

The club announced the move on its website on Wednesday (Jan 4). The announcement included a letter from the Singapore Land Authority informing the club of the acquisition.

According to the announcement, the land is also needed for the Cross Island Line's western depot and other transport-related uses.

"We understand that many of you may have queries regarding the future of RCC," the club said in the announcement. "We would like to assure you that the club has been contacted by the relevant Government agencies and we will provide members with a more detailed update in due course."

The club will be required to vacate its premises by Jul 31, 2018, according to the letter.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    BIGGEST ACQUISITION DONE IN RECENT YEARS

On Wednesday (Jan 4), the Land Transport Authority (LTA) and SLA said the Raffles Country Club site is the “optimal site” in terms of location, size and orientation.

Leaders of Singapore and Malaysia had signed a bilateral agreement for the high-speed rail last month, where it was agreed that the HSR will cross the Straits of Johor via a bridge with a height clearance of 25 metres above the water level.

LTA and SLA explained that as the bridge is high, it has to be continued before it can be brought down to land and into the tunnel. “So there are not a lot of options in terms of where we can site it without having to make a lot of land acquisitions”, they said.

They said the Raffles Country Club site is the most suitable location to run the HSR tracks immediately after the bridge crossing. It will then enter an underground tunnel to the HSR terminus in Jurong East.

Space is also needed for HSR crossover tracks and a siding facility that will temporarily house a train near the border for safety or operational reasons, if necessary.

The site is also needed to provide train parking and maintenance facilities for the Cross Island Line's Western Depot, LTA and SLA added, as well as other transport-related needs which may include train testing facilities. Further details of the projects will be given after detailed feasibility and engineering studies, they said.

By size, the 143-hectare site is the biggest land acquisition in recent years. The club is the second country club – after Jurong Country Club – to be acquired by authorities for the HSR project. It closed for good on Dec 31 last year, ahead of its lease expiry in 2035. The 67-hectare site it was on will be occupied by the HSR terminus, as well as mixed-use developments and community facilities.

“This is a big acquisition and we would like to reiterate that the government does not take acquisition lightly,” said SLA’s Chief Executive Tan Boon Khai. “We will consider all options including the technical and suitability details before making the acquisition.”

He added that under the Land Acquisition Act, the club will be compensated full market value, and SLA will work closely with the club’s management and assist the club throughout the acquisition process. Jurong Country Club was awarded S$89.8 million by the Collector of Land Revenue – an amount about half of what the club asked for in its claim for compensation.

[​IMG]
    ALL CLUB MEMBERS INFORMED OF ACQUISITION

When contacted by Channel NewsAsia, the club said it was given the acquisition notice just after 10am on Wednesday. It has “several direct channels” of reaching out to members, and that all have been informed of the acquisition.

The club, which was founded in 1988, has two 18-hole golf courses, and its lease was due to expire in 2028. A check on club membership broker websites showed RCC memberships going for between S$32,500 to S$34,000. It has about 2,650 golfing members.

The high-speed rail, which is slated for completion in 2026, is expected to cut travel time between Singapore and Kuala Lumpur to about 90 minutes. The line will run for 350km, with 335km in Malaysia and 15km in Singapore.

There will be eight stations in total, with the two terminal stations at Jurong East in Singapore and Bandar Malaysia in Kuala Lumpur.

ACQUISITION THE MOST LOGICAL DECISION: ANALYSTS

Analysts told Channel NewsAsia that acquiring the site – which runs parallel to the Ayer Rajah Expressway (AYE) - was the most logical decision for the high-speed rail project.

Transport analyst Dr Walter Theseira of SIM University said that, unlike mass transit lines which can curve, the high-speed rail line cannot afford to do so in order to maintain its speed.

“If you look at the geography of the area, one very likely alignment is ... straight alongside the existing AYE for much of the length of the AYE in the Tuas area,” said Dr Theseira. “That would be a very straight alignment, and if you build it, in fact, along the grounds of the Raffles Country Club, then you don't have to take over, for example, industrial land to do that.”

He added that the authorities may also have chosen the site as the most cost-effective way to guide trains underground from above ground.

“It’s going to be a lot cheaper to do that, if for example you were to take over a stretch of land which currently doesn’t have development on it, and basically dig the tunnel there and cover the tunnel afterwards,” he said.

“If you were to build the tunnel, however, underneath existing structures, it’s generally a lot more costly and complicated and I think we want to minimise that kind of cost as far as possible. That would be unavoidable once the HSR gets into the Jurong area, but I think there’s a chance to lower the cost by taking over the Raffles Country Club.”

Neither would it be feasible to run the line below an operational golf course, said Chong Kee Sen, immediate past president of the Institution of Engineers, Singapore.

He explained that a high-speed train entering Singapore would require a long strip of land for it to maintain its speed as it moves underground.

“The transition has to be smooth, the gradient has to be more gentle, so it basically affects the surface of the RCC for a certain stretch before the train really goes into the tunnel," said Mr Chong.

He added that the land that might be too shallow in parts to support golf games above it, and that the strip could stretch across much of the site’s courses.

Additional reporting by Loke Kok Fai.

Master likes this.
  3. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    More than half of global perfect IB scores from ACS (I)

Students from Anglo-Chinese School (Independent) made up 48 out of 94 perfect scorers worldwide.
    • Posted 05 Jan 2017 13:13
    • Updated 05 Jan 2017 23:24

[​IMG]

SINGAPORE: Anglo-Chinese School (Independent) students accounted for more than half of the perfect scorers globally at the International Baccalaureate (IB) diploma examinations in November 2016.

ACS (I) said in a press statement on Thursday (Jan 5) that 48 of their students from the latest cohort attained the maximum score of 45 points, out of 94 students worldwide.

This is the highest number of perfect scores since the school introduced the IB Diploma Programme in 2006, ACS (I) said.

ACS (I) students scored an average of 41.82 total points, compared to a national average of 38.27 points and a global average of 29.21 points.

For the previous cohort, ACS (I) had 41 students with perfect scores and an average total point score of 41.8.

Meanwhile, Hwa Chong International School (HCIS) and St. Joseph's Institution (SJI) students also achieved new highs for the November 2016 cohort, the schools reported separately in press releases on Thursday.

HCIS said it made a "breakthrough" as two of its students scored perfect scores for the examinations, the firsts in the school's history, while SJI said it produced its first perfect scorer. SJI also had 10 students with a near-perfect score of 44 points.

HCIS also said it had an average score of 36.7 points. Meanwhile, SJI said its students achieved an average score of 41.5 points.

In addition, ACS (I) said 83.2 per cent of its students that took the examinations scored 40 points and above out of a maximum of 45. For HCIS, 33.0 per cent of its students scored at least 40 points, up from 24.8 per cent for the November 2015 cohort. As for SJI, 84 per cent of its students scored 40 points or higher.

Additionally, SJI International saw 30.8 per cent of its students scoring 40 points or more. Five attained 44 points while another seven obtained 43 points, the school said in its media release.

A total of 1,849 students in Singapore and 14,071 students worldwide sat for the IB exams in November 2016.

Master likes this.
  4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Sports School golfer among the top scorers as IB exam results show diversity of talent

[​IMG]
    Sabrina Chau (left) reacts after collecting the IB results with mandarin teacher Oh Hui Min congratulating her.ST PHOTO: JONATHAN CHOO
    Published
    59 min ago

Abigail Ng WY
    Nicole Chia
    cnicole@sph.com.sg

SINGAPORE - As local institutions released the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme (IBDP) exam results Thursday (Jan 5), there were bright spots in a few schools around the island.

For the first time, Hwa Chong International (HCI), Singapore Sports School (SSP) and St. Joseph's Institution (SJI) had perfect scorers in the exams held last November.

HCI had two students with 45 points, the maximum score, while SSP and SJI had one student each.

SSP's top scorer Sabrina Chau, 18, was sceptical about how her results would turn out.

"I was expecting 40 or 41 points. It still hasn't quite sunk in (that I scored 45 points), but I am happy about it because this will open a lot of doors for me," said the golfer.

Sabrina, who has played the game for 12 years, credited it with helping her calm her nerves.

[​IMG]
    Related Story
    Singapore tops Asia-Pac region in IB exams again

"Golf is a long game, so for a prolonged period of time, you can't let the nerves get to you," she said.

"I went for my exams the same way I go to golf competitions, and I was actually quite cheerful about (preparing for the exams)."

She is one of 57 students here who achieved the perfect score.

The stellar performer, Anglo-Chinese School (Independent), had 48 top scorers, up from 41 last year.

In a statement released by the school, ACS(I) principal Winston Hodge said: "We have implemented the IBDP for 10 years now and have found that its holistic and broad-based approach cultivates in our students the values, instincts and skills necessary for the future."

ACS(I) student and national swimmer Rachel Tseng, 19, also scored well in her IB examinations, obtaining 43 points despite training 10 times a week until the month before her examinations.

"Prioritising my time was very important to me, so I set a schedule and tried my best to follow it," she said.

The IBDP is a two-year programme conducted in 22 institutions in Singapore. Students take six subjects and Theory of Knowledge, a course that combines philosophy, religion and logical reasoning.

Research, a second language, a 4,000-word essay and community service are also components of the programme.

The IB organisation also offers the IB Career-related Certificate (IBCC), a programme designed to facilitate career-related learning. Students undertake only two or three subjects and take part in industrial attachments to gain hands-on experience.

On Thursday (Jan 5) at the School of the Arts (Sota), Ms Gillian Rubiyanto, 19, received her IBCC diploma after seven years at Sota.

She was diagnosed with bone cancer in 2010 and spent a year out of school for treatment.

Despite experiencing two relapses and taking her exams just weeks after being discharged from the hospital, she received top marks for visual arts and six out of seven points for her mother tongue subject.

Miss Rubiyanto said her illness has taught her to be more open-minded in accepting help from people. She was very reluctant to sit the exams when she was discharged, but a teacher helped her in her revision.

She said: "I am happy that I am among the top scorers in my (programme)."

Master likes this.
  5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    AreaInsider: Tanjong Pagar

http://areainsider.propertyguru.com...res-blueprint/?_ka=knxad_knx7619_201604180804

[​IMG]

Tanjong Pagar is Singapore in a nutshell

[​IMG]
    Started September 19, 2016 8678 Views

Singapore is an exceptional city-state. It continually flourishes and makes big waves globally despite being small. While some may consider its diminutive size to be a restriction, over the decades Singapore turned that weakness into a strength.

Curiously, its success and small, surface area had allowed for the formation of miniature enclaves that act almost like Petri-dishes for the entire nation.

It is Tanjong Pagar that encapsulates this essence of Singapore the best.

Located in the bustling Central Business District, Tanjong Pagar was where Singapore’s longest-reigning political party, the People’s Action party (PAP), had chosen to set up their first PAP branch in June 1955. The constituency was helmed by the party’s founding member, the late Mr. Lee Kuan Yew for nearly 60 years until his death in March 2015.

Humble beginnings

Singapore was a fishing village two hundred years ago; now, it is a thriving country with one of the highest GDP (PPP) per capita in the world. Tall skyscrapers and modern vehicles have replaced village huts and fishing boats.

Similarly, the progressive development of Tanjong Pagar is a reflection of Singapore’s own rapid transformation from its humble past to the cosmopolitan city-state we live in today.

[​IMG]
    Shophouses in Tanjong Pagar

Like other areas of old Singapore, Tanjong Pagar was a fishing village called Salintar or Selintar. In an interesting turn of events, today one of the world’s most famous ports is located in Tanjong Pagar. In addition, the award-winning 50-storey residential development, The Pinnacle @ Duxton, was built on the historical site of the first two 10-storey HDB blocks in the Tanjong Pagar area.

The original two blocks were completed in 1963 and were amongst the oldest built by HDB.

As an aside, The Pinnacle @ Duxton is an iconic but one-off special residential development in Singapore’s public housing history, as it embodies many unique features that are not common in other HDB housing projects.

A mixture of old and new

After tearing down a considerable number of historical buildings to redevelop the country, the Urban Development Authority eventually decided to actively preserve the historical look and feel of meaningful sites by the early 1980s. Tanjong Pagar is one of them.

As such, many old and derelict shophouses in the area were preserved and restored. A majority of such shophouses are now used purely for residential or commercial purposes as “shopoffices”, restaurants, and even boutique hotels and museums.

[​IMG]
    Red Dot Museum

Of course, shophouses are not the only historical buildings that were properly preserved and given a new lease of life. Fairfield Methodist Church, the building across the popular Maxwell Food Centre, was once known as the Metropole Theatre, and the creative hub, Red Dot Traffic, located along Maxwell Road was originally the headquarters of the Singapore Traffic Police.

There is evidence of history and aspects of modernism in Tanjong Pagar as exemplified by the many restored buildings and new skyscrapers. It is similar to several others zones on our island where a delicate balance of old and new are struck.

Racial harmony

Singapore is home to many cultures and races, and Tanjong Pagar touches on this aspect of the country with its range of interesting road names.

For example, Yan Kit Road was named after Dr. Look Yan Kit, a Hong Kong philanthropist. The name “Yan Kit” is an English transliteration of the Cantonese pronunciation of the philanthropist’s name.

Likewise, the name “Amoy” from Amoy Street is an English transliteration of the Zhangzhou Hokkien pronunciation of the words “Xiamen”, or “厦门” in Chinese.

[​IMG]
    Amoy Food Centre

The street was so named in homage to the large group of Zhangzhou people who upon relocating from Amoy in China to Singapore, had chosen this particular area as their new home.

On the other hand, Anson Road and Maxwell Road were named after two former English Governors of the Straits Settlements. While the naming conventions are innocent enough, it hides a more poignant layer; a layer that extols subliminally Singapore’s rich and diverse historical heritage.

A makan paradise

Besides being a financial hub, Singapore is also home to a plethora of international flavors and cuisines. As a microcosm of Singapore, Tanjong Pagar incorporates the bustling business nature of the island-state while keeping the hardworking people in the zone sated with the sheer quantity of local and international delicacies found at every corner.

You will never run out of food options in Tanjong Pagar. There are affordable hawker centres, hipster cafes, established restaurants as well as bars and pubs, all in one convenient location.

If the shifting variety of food were to be used as an anagram for cultural transformation, then Tanjong Pagar’s wide spectrum of different cuisines that range from homegrown delicacies and popular Korean food to even the fairly exclusive Russian cuisine, may in fact be projecting an image of what a changing multi-cultural Singapore can look like in the near future.

Master likes this.
  6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Tanjong Pagar, in the eyes of foreigners

[​IMG]
    Started July 14, 2016 5357 Views

Singapore is more than just a fine city (pun intended); with our multicultural society and the perfect marriage of old and new, there is always something special for foreign visitors looking to visit or rent here.

While Orchard Road remains a popular hotel destination for many visitors, some foreigners have turned to short-term rental websites like Airbnb, for a more unique experience in sunny Singapore. Despite Tanjong Pagar being a bustling business location, an increasing number of visitors have been seen staying in the location for various reasons.

A foodie enclave

Ferron, an Australian, for example, had specially selected Tanjong Pagar as her temporary home during her holidays earlier this year. A travel enthusiast, Ferron, wanted to “stay in a central area that still had character, and was not too impersonal like the centre of any city can sometimes be.”

Travelling with her mother who had visited Singapore previously, Tanjong Pagar was a natural choice for them. “My mother recommended that we stayed in Tanjong Pagar as she had stayed there previously, and really enjoyed the location and the variety of eating places,” Ferron explained.

Both mother and daughter stayed in a mixed development apartment building where they had easy access to a food court, pharmacy and convenience store on the ground floor. Being a food lover, Ferron went and queued for the famous Tian Tian Hainanese Chicken Rice at Maxwell Food Centre which was just a five-minute walk from where she stayed. The verdict? She fell in love with the delicious chicken rice and many other “incredibly tasty and affordable” dishes from Maxwell Food Centre.

Sugata Duygu from Turkey echoed the same sentiments as Ferron. She too, was in love with the location for its plethora of great food and close proximity to Marine Bay area where she had done some great shopping.

Great convenience

Besides its wide selection of delectable food, many visitors also chose Tanjong Pagar for its great convenience; Denton from the United States is one of them.

He explained, “I have very easy access to a MRT station almost immediately outside where I stayed, and the neighborhood itself is very clean and not terribly crowded. There is also often a line of taxis waiting outside if you’re looking to reach destinations not easily served by the excellent public transit in the city. If you decide to explore on foot, there is also a plethora of hawker centers within a 10- to 15-minute radius, as well as the lively Chinatown nearby. Overall, excellent location, and I would definitely stay here again!”

As Tanjong Pagar lies along the same green line as Changi Airport station, visitors who want to save on transportation can easily travel downtown via our public transit system; and that was what J.K. from the United States did.

In fact, that was her major reason for choosing to stay in Tanjong Pagar, so that she did not need to carry her heavy luggage and change to a different train to reach her destination.

A perfect marriage of old and new

Ferron found it a delightful experience to stroll through the streets in Tanjong Pagar and admire the brightly painted shophouses, as these heritage gems gave her valuable insights to how Singapore used to look like.

“I love how in Tanjong Pagar there is evidence of history and yet it is still so diverse and modern. It is fascinating to think that it was once a coastal area. You can spend a whole day just walking around the streets and taking in historic sites or looking at the galleries such as the Red Dot Design Museum. People are very friendly, and there is a feeling of relaxed vibrancy throughout the whole area.

“We strolled around Duxton Hill and enjoyed drinking at the small bars there. We were also intrigued by the Pinnacle@Duxton, and walked around there to have a look. I was amazed by how clean and spacious the gardens were, and how harmonious it seemed for such a large residential development. We took the lift up to the sky garden on the top of the building, and experienced the incredible views of Singapore from that vantage point, 50 floors above ground.

Though Ferron absolutely loves Tanjong Pagar, the constant noise from a construction site opposite where she stayed was a minor letdown. On the other hand, despite Tanjong Pagar’s great location and attractive characteristics, it is essentially still a business location and that did not sit well with Sugata Duygu who would much prefer to stay in a more touristy location.

While Tanjong Pagar may not be the perfect home for all our foreign friends, there is no doubt that it has something unique to offer. Whether you are a foodie, a heritage lover or an adventure-seeking traveler, Tanjong Pagar will surely work its charms on you.

Master likes this.
  7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Best O-level results in at least three decades, 84.3% of students score 5 or more passes

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A student receives his O-Level results at Serangoon Garden Secondary School on Jan 11, 2017.ST PHOTO: CAROLINE CHIA
    [​IMG]
    A student receives his O-Level results at Serangoon Garden Secondary School on Jan 11, 2017.ST PHOTO: CAROLINE CHIA
    [​IMG]
    Students at Serangoon Garden Secondary School celebrate after receiving their O-Level results on Jan 11, 2017.ST PHOTO: CAROLINE CHIA
    [​IMG]
    Students at Serangoon Garden Secondary School wait to receive their O-Level results on Jan 11, 2017.ST PHOTO: CAROLINE CHIA
    [​IMG]
    Shahrukh Navin Sundram receives his O-Level results at Serangoon Garden Secondary School on Jan 11, 2017.ST PHOTO: CAROLINE CHIA

Published
    7 hours ago

Calvin Yang
    calyang@sph.com.sg

SINGAPORE - The class of 2016 has set a record. Students who took the O levels last year have outperformed their seniors, with 84.3 per cent of the cohort attaining at least five passes.

This surpasses the 83.8 per cent set by the 2015 cohort. Then, it was Singapore's best showing at the national exam in at least three decades.

A total of 30,292 students took the O-level exam last year, compared with 29,723 students in the class of 2015.

In a joint press release, the Ministry of Education (MOE) and the Singapore Examinations and Assessment Board (SEAB) said on Wednesday (Jan 11) that the results "are comparable to that of 2015".

MOE and SEAB added that 96.5 per cent of the students attained at least three passes, while 99.9 per cent passed at least one subject. These results were largely similar to the previous batch's 96.1 per cent and 99.9 per cent respectively.

However, the performance of private candidates slipped slightly.

Of the 1,865 private candidates who also took the exam, 90.2 per cent got at least one pass. This figure is slightly lower than the previous batch's 90.5 per cent.

Students went back to their secondary schools at 2pm on Wednesday to collect their results.

Schools across the island celebrated not only their top scorers in the national exam, but also students who had shown great improvement, overcome odds in their lives, or exhibited exemplary values.

In a Facebook post on Tuesday, Education Minister (Schools) Ng Chee Meng urged students collecting their results to appreciate their teachers and loved ones for their support, believe in themselves and challenge their limits.

Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong also congratulated those who did well, and encouraged those who did not do as well as expected to "take heart and strive to do better next time".

Master likes this.
  8. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Singapore has world’s 2nd most ‘powerful’ passport: Index

[​IMG]
    TODAY file photo

S’pore is second in global power ranking of passports
    Published: 8:15 AM, January 16, 2017
    Updated: 5:48 PM, January 16, 2017

SINGAPORE — Singapore has the world’s second most “powerful” passport, according to a global ranking of the world’s passports.

The 2017 Passport Index, released on Thursday (Jan 12), placed Singapore behind Germany and joint-second with Sweden. Coming in joint-third were Denmark, Finland, France, Spain, Switzerland, Norway, the United Kingdom and the United States.

RelatedNews
    Singapore
    S’pore ranked 5th globally for travel freedom, has visa-free access to 173 countries: Index
    February 25

Singapore’s ranking improved by one spot from last year’s results. The Passport Index is developed by Arton Capital, a financial advisory firm specialising in investor programmes for residence and citizenship.

Germany has a visa-free score of 157, while Singapore — also the highest-ranked Asian passport — has a visa-free score of 156. The visa-free score represents the number of countries a passport holder can visit visa-free, or with visa on arrival.

South Korea, which used to be second, fell to sixth place with a score of 152, while Japan rose to fourth place and tied with Belgium, Italy, Portugal and others with a score of 154.

Other countries in the top 10 list are Malaysia, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand, with a score of 153, as well as Greece and Australia which scored 152.

Among the lowest-ranked are Syria (visa-free score of 29), Iraq (28), Pakistan (26) and Afghanistan (23).

A total of 199 passports worldwide were included in the index, including United Nations member countries and six territories — Taiwan, Macau, Hong Kong, Kosovo, Palestinian Territory and the Vatican.

In a separate individual ranking of passports, Germany came in first, Singapore second, and Sweden third. For the individual ranking, the firm based it on three factors. Firstly, it counted how many countries that a nation’s passport-holders could visit without a visa, or by obtaining a visa on arrival. The two figures were then weighted against each other and in the case of a tie, the United Nations Development Programme Human Development Index was used as a final comparison.

Last year, in another passport ranking, Germany topped a list of countries with the most travel freedom. The 2016 Henley & Partners Visa Restrictions Index, released last February, ranked Germany first because its citizens had visa-free access to 177 out of 219 countries.

Singapore was at fifth place, with unrestricted access to 173 countries — the third year running that it was placed fifth.

Master likes this.
  9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Committee on the Future Economy outlines 7 strategies to take Singapore forward

Published
    Feb 9, 2017, 11:09 pm

Royston Sim
    Assistant Political Editor

The Committee on the Future Economy, co-chaired by Finance Minister Heng Swee Keat and Minister for Trade and Industry S Iswaran, outlined their proposed strategies in a report released on Thursday.

[​IMG]
    The Committee on the Future Economy, co-chaired by Finance Minister Heng Swee Keat (centre) and Minister for Trade and Industry (Industry) S Iswaran (fourth from left), releases its report on Feb 9, 2017. ST PHOTO: KEVIN LIM

109-page report.

The report came after the 30-member committee, co-chaired by Finance Minister Heng Swee Keat and Minister for Trade and Industry (Industry) S.Iswaran, spent a year talking to over 9,000 workers, unions, companies, trade bodies and others.

Committee on the Future Economy outlines 7 strategies to take Singapore forward
    Committee on the Future Economy Report Launch

"We cannot know which industries will succeed. What we do know is that Singapore must stay open to trade, talent and ideas, and build deep capabilities," the committee said in its report.

"By being innovative, bold and willing to change; by remaining open to the world, and deepening our knowledge of markets everywhere; our businesses and people can grasp the opportunities that this new environment offers, and Singapore can continue to prosper.

"We call upon the Singaporeans of today, young and old, to be the pioneers of the next generation." The CFE sketched its vision of a future economy where people are inspired to learn throughout their lives, businesses are innovative and nimble, the city is connected and vibrant and the government coordinated, inclusive and responsive.

1. Deepen and diversify our international connections
    Singapore should boost trade and investment by developing specific bilateral initiatives, working closely with multilateral institutions such as the World Bank, and helping its people and companies gain a better understanding of overseas markets.

The committee also recommended forming a Global Innovation Alliance that will see tertiary institutions and companies here link up with overseas partners to promote innovation.

It cited the example of Block 71 in San Francisco, which supports local startups that want to enter the US technology market and also provides a gateway for US companies to enter the Singapore and South-east Asia markets.

2. Acquire and utilise deep skills
    Companies should play a bigger role in developing their workers. Both the private and public sectors should also move towards hiring and promoting workers based on their skills, instead of just academic grades.

The national Jobs Bank and other schemes that help match workers to new jobs should be improved.

More study and training programmes should be rolled out so workers can pick up new skills. For instance, the Singapore Institute of Technology already offers a work-study programme that allows its students to develop specialist skills in their chosen field while learning.

3. Strengthen enterprise capabilities to innovate and scale up
    To promote innovation, the committee recommends strengthening the intellectual property (IP) ecosystem, supporting entrepreneurs carving out new business opportunities, and raising the profile of local startups.

Simpler regulation and incentive schemes should be rolled out to encourage greater investment in startups as well.

It also called for more targeted help for enterprises with potential to expand. For example, Fong's Engineering - a precision engineering company - has seen its year-on-year revenue jump by 15 to 20 per cent, and is expanding into China.

4. Build strong digital capabilities
    The committee recommends building up expertise in cybersecurity and data analytics, which are high-potential growth industries. To do so, it suggested that the government partners key industry players to train data scientists, use National Service to develop skills in cybersecurity, as well as attract and anchor vanguard technology firms in niche cybersecurity segments.

It also urged the authorities to come up with flexible regulations to enable the adoption of technology, and help small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) adopt digital technologies.The committee also recommended the creation of a dedicated programme office to collect and facilitate data usage. More data should be shared with the private sector, such as through the revamped Data.gov.sg.

5. Develop a vibrant and connected city of opportunity
    Singapore should strengthen its status as a global aviation and shipping hub, leverage on the future high-speed rail line to Kuala Lumpur to create more economic activities in the region, and enhance its digital connectivity.

It should also create multiple economic clusters of innovation, such as the Jurong Lake District and Punggol, and form more partnerships with private firms.

The committee recommended that the Government partners the private sector to transform Orchard Road into a shopping and lifestyle destination.

6. Develop and implement Industry Transformation Maps
    These industry-specific roadmaps should continue to be customised to suit the needs of each industry. Further, they should be grouped into clusters so that the transformation of one industry can have a positive spillover effect on the others.

The Government should also be alert to changing industry configurations.

The roadmaps should map out the opportunities in industries with good growth prospects.

The roadmaps should also provide strategies to help industries that require large numbers of low-skilled workers to increase productivity and upgrade jobs. For instance, IT retailer Challenger has moved beyond its traditional brick-and-mortar retail business into e-commerce.

7. Partner one another to enable growth and innovation
    The Government should foster an environment to support innovation and risk taking in the private and public sectors, the committee said.

It called for a review of Singapore's tax system, based on two principles: "First, Singapore's tax system should remain broad-based, progressive and fair, even as revenues are raised over time to meet rising domestic needs. Second, Singapore's tax system must remain competitive and pro-growth."

Trade associations have their part to play in industry development, for instance, by identifying areas that the Government can support.

Unions should help workers prepare for jobs of the future.

The committee cited how the Singapore Manufacturing Federation has partnered the Enterprise Europe Network, IE Singapore and Intellectual Property Intermediary to form a centre that helps Singaporean manufacturers access technological expertise and partnership opportunities in Europe. More than 500 Singapore companies have registered with the centre.

Topics:

Master likes this.
  10. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    The committee has submitted its report to Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong.

In a letter to Mr Heng and Mr Iswaran, PM Lee said the Government accepts the strategies proposed and will pursue all of them. Ministers will provide a full response during the Budget and Committee of Supply debates, he added.

Mr Lee noted that developing the strategies is the first step: "What counts is how well we implement them to transform our economy."

Difficult trade-offs will be necessary, as resources are limited, he added. “We will take a hard-headed, pragmatic approach. When results are promising, we will vigorously pursue them. When a scheme does not look like it is going anywhere, we must have the courage to cut losses.

“That is how we progressed for the past 50 years, and the only way to continue progressing in future.”

The committee’s recommendations aim to help the country stay open and relevant, ensure its people acquire skills for future jobs, and see companies scale up through innovation and transformation.
    [​IMG]

Master likes this.
  11. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Singapore wins big in Asia’s Best Restaurants list

[​IMG]
    Andre Chiang at work in the kitchen of Restaurant Andre.

Restaurant Andre comes in at No. 2 while Odette, Burnt Ends make it into the top 10

Published: 11:15 AM, February 22, 2017
    Updated: 11:55 AM, February 22, 2017

SINGAPORE — This year, Singapore had three restaurants in top spots on the Asia’s 50 Best Restaurants list — more than any other city.

Singapore’s Restaurant Andre, headed by Andre Chiang, nudged up one notch from last year to second place.

Coming in at No. 8 is Odette, while Burnt Ends took the No. 10 spot.

The annual list is compiled based on votes of 300 food writers, critics, chefs and others, who are asked about their best restaurant experience, according to William Reed Business Media, which also publishes the World’s 50 Best Restaurants list.

Singapore made a strong showing throughout the list, with Les Amis, Waku Ghin, Corner House, The Tippling Club and Jaan taking spots throughout the top 50.

The No. 1 spot went to Gaggan in Bangkok for the third time running. The Indian restaurant headed by Chef Gaggan Anand — who was featured in Netflix’s popular Chef’s Table series last year — is known for creative and progrssive dishes.

“The first time I thought I was lucky, but last year I really worked hard, and here I am now today,” Anand told Bloomberg. “The only thing I wanted was to create that unique experience for every customer in 2016.”

Asia’s 50 Best Restaurants, sponsored by S.Pellegrino and Acqua Panna, is part of The World’s 50 Best Restaurant series. The awards ceremony was held in Bangkok on Tuesday (Feb 21). BLOOMBERG

The top 10:
    1. Gaggan, Thailand
    2. Restaurant Andre, Singapore
    3. Amber, Hong Kong
    4. 8-1/2 Otto E Mezzo Bombana, Hong Kong
    5. Nahm, Thailand
    6. Narisawa, Japan
    7. Nihonryori Ryugin, Japan
    8. Ultraviolet by Paul Pairet, China
    9. Odette, Singapore
    10. Burnt Ends, Singapore

Other Singapore entries:
    16. Les Amis
    20. Waku Ghin
    23. Corner House
    27. The Tippling Club
    42. Jaan

Master likes this.
  12. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Singapore has consistently abided by 'One China policy': DPM Teo

Singapore and China have a common interest in building a peaceful and growing region, and this is 'much greater than any occasional differences of views', DPM Teo says.

Channel News Asia
    • Posted 26 Feb 2017 21:00
    • Updated 26 Feb 2017 22:17
    [​IMG]
    File photo of Deputy Prime Minister & Coordinating Minister for National Security Teo Chee Hean. (Photo: Justin Ong)
    SINGAPORE: Singapore has consistently abided by its "One China policy" and been a consistent friend and supporter of China's peaceful development, said Deputy Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean in a written interview that was published on Sunday (Feb 26).

Commenting on the “broad and longstanding relationship” between the two countries, DPM Teo said that the two countries have worked well together to advance common interests, despite different perspectives on some issues.

Both countries also have a common interest in building a peaceful and growing region, and “this is much greater than any occasional differences of views", he added.

He said that each of Singapore and China's Government-to-Government projects have supported China's developmental priorities at key stages.

The Singapore Deputy Prime Minister is visiting China from Sunday to Tuesday at the invitation of Chinese Vice Premier Zhang Gaoli. The two leaders are co-chairs of the Joint Council for Bilateral Cooperation (JCBC) - the highest-level bilateral forum between Singapore and China, which will be held on Monday.
    The extensive agenda that is on the table for the meeting, DPM Teo said, is "good reflection of the depth and breadth of Singapore-China bilateral cooperation."

Ahead of the JCBC, the two countries deepened their economic partnership through a raft of agreements, including a partnership between IE Singapore and Chongqing's municipal government to improve the municipality's transport links to the rest of China and beyond.

Ahead of his visit, Mr Teo gave Chinese news agency Xinhuanet a written interview. The interview is reproduced below:

Q: During your visit to China, you’ll co-chair the 13th Singapore-China Joint Council for Bilateral Cooperation (JCBC). What’s your expectation of the visit?

DPM Teo: I am pleased to be in Beijing to co-chair the 13th Joint Council for Bilateral Cooperation (JCBC) with Vice Premier Zhang Gaoli. The JCBC is the premier platform for Singapore-China bilateral relations. Since its establishment in 2004, the JCBC has played a key role in nurturing the special friendship and promoting closer cooperation between our two countries. At every JCBC, we review the wide-ranging areas of cooperation, including business and trade, financial services, inclusive & sustainable development, human resource development and people-to-people exchanges, and agree on initiatives to strengthen and deepen our broad-based bilateral relations.

This year, apart from reviewing the progress of our first two bilateral Government-to-Government projects at the 18th Suzhou Industrial Park (SIP) and the 9th Sino-Singapore Tianjin Eco-city (SSTEC) Joint Steering Councils, Vice Premier Zhang and I will also co-chair the inaugural Joint Steering Council (JSC) Meeting for the Chongqing Connectivity Initiative (CCI), our third bilateral Government-to-Government flagship project. Both countries have placed emphasis on the CCI as it is a key priority demonstration project under China’s “Belt and Road”, Western Region Development and Yangtze River Economic Belt Strategies. This was discussed when Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong met President Xi Jinping in Beijing in 2014, and launched by the two leaders during President Xi’s State Visit to Singapore in November 2015. Prime Minister Lee personally visited Chongqing in September 2016 to review the progress of our bilateral cooperation in the CCI.

The SIP continues to be at the forefront of China’s reforms and plays a pathfinder role for China’s economic priorities. I look forward to discussing with Vice Premier Zhang how we can expand collaboration between Singapore and SIP in new areas such as research, innovation and intellectual property.

In line with our multi-faceted collaborations for the Tianjin Eco-City, we will be signing MOUs in areas such as knowledge exchange, water resource management, healthcare, smart city masterplanning and R&D collaboration in digital media.

At the CCI JSC meeting, both sides will report the good progress made in the four priority sectors, namely financial services, civil aviation, modern logistics and information & communications technology. The new Chongqing Transport & Logistics Master Plan will also strengthen and anchor Chongqing as an international hub for multi-modal logistics. The extensive agenda of the JCBC and the JSCs is a good reflection of the depth and breadth of Singapore-China bilateral cooperation. I look forward to fruitful and productive discussions on these important initiatives.

#9452 Loh, Feb 26, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
    Master likes this.
  13. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Q: At the 12th JCBC on Oct 13 2015, your discussions focused on six areas: the third Government-to-Government project, upgrade of the China-Singapore FTA, economic transition, financial cooperation, cultural exchanges, and the inclusive and sustainable development. More than one year has passed since the third Sino-Singapore Government-to Government project was launched. What’s your comment on the project’s achievement? Can you update us on the latest development of the bilateral cooperation in the other five areas?

DPM Teo: We have achieved much progress in the focus areas for the Chongqing Connectivity Initiative since its launch in November 2015. In financial services, policy innovations have strengthened financial connectivity between Chongqing and Singapore to facilitate economic transformation of the Western Region. To date, more than US$ 6 billion worth of financial deals, including cross-border loans and bond issuances, have been agreed and completed, helping Chinese Chongqing-based corporates to access cost-efficient funding in Singapore.

Civil aviation connectivity between Singapore, Chongqing and beyond has also been significantly enhanced. Chinese airline West Air and Singapore airline SilkAir now serve the Singapore-Chongqing route with fourteen flights a week. West Air has also extended its daily Singapore-Chongqing service to Urumqi via Chongqing since September 2016. We are exploring more linkages between Western China and Southeast Asia/Southwest Pacific via Chongqing and Singapore. We are also discussing a new direct trade route that would connect Chongqing to the 21st Century Maritime Silk Road overland via the Beibu Gulf and by sea to Singapore, and greater high-speed IT connectivity between Western China and Southeast Asia with a Singapore-Chongqing Digital Super Highway.

We have also made good progress in the other areas of collaboration on the CSFTA upgrade, finance, economic transition, inclusive and sustainable development, and cultural exchanges.

On the China-Singapore FTA (CSFTA) upgrade, our officials have made some progress over the two rounds of negotiations in 2016. We should work towards an expeditious conclusion of a substantive CSFTA upgrade. A forward-looking, substantive and comprehensive upgrade of the CSFTA will send a strong message that China and Singapore are jointly committed to developing deeper economic linkages and greater trade liberalisation. In January this year, President Xi Jinping made two important speeches at the World Economic Forum in Davos and United Nations in Geneva. I fully support President Xi’s statement that we should promote inclusive globalisation against the backdrop of a volatile and uncertain world. At the multilateral level, as the Country Coordinator of ASEAN-China Dialogue Relations, we will continue to work closely with China to advance multilateral liberalisation initiatives such as the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership, with the aim of eventually achieving a Free Trade Area of the Asia-Pacific that will bring together countries around the Asia-Pacific for mutual collaboration and development.

In June 2016, our Monetary Authority of Singapore announced the inclusion of Renminbi (RMB) investments as part of Singapore’s Official Foreign Reserves in recognition of the steady and calibrated liberalisation of China’s financial markets, and the growing acceptance of RMB assets in the global portfolio of institutional investors. This year, both sides will further deepen capital market collaboration between China and Singapore.

We continue to have good exchanges on governance issues such as promoting inclusive and sustainable development and managing the social impact of economic transition and an ageing population, through our longstanding human resource development cooperation. I co-chair two platforms – the Leadership Forum with Central Organisation Department Minister Zhao Leji and the Social Governance Forum with Political and Legal Affairs Commission Secretary Meng Jianzhu. Since the mid-1990s, about 55,000 Chinese officials have attended various training programmes in Singapore. Increasing numbers of Singapore officials are also visiting China and exchanging views with our Chinese counterparts and learning from China’s experiences. We face many common challenges and there is great value in learning from each other.

The Singapore-China Executive Programme on Cultural Cooperation has facilitated numerous cultural exchanges between our two countries. For instance, Beijing People’s Art Theatre performances in Singapore have been well-received. The National Gallery Singapore has worked with the National Art Museum of China on a joint exhibition. To mark the 150th anniversary of the birth of Dr Sun Yat Sen last year, the Sun Yat Sen Nanyang Memorial Hall in Singapore collaborated with The Memorial of Wuchang Uprising of 1911 Revolution from Wuhan on the exhibition One Night in Wuchang: 1911 Revolution & Nanyang, which I had the pleasure to open.

#9453 Loh, Feb 26, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
    Master likes this.
  14. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Q: How would you evaluate Singapore-China economic relations? What new measures will Singapore undertake at all levels to promote bilateral economic relations?

DPM Teo: In 2015, to mark the 25th Anniversary of our bilateral relations, President Tony Tan made a State Visit to China and President Xi Jinping made a State Visit to Singapore, taking relations to new heights. 2017 marks the 27th anniversary of diplomatic relations between Singapore and China. Our bilateral cooperation has grown by leaps and bounds. Singapore has been China’s largest foreign investor since 2013. China is also Singapore’s top trading partner.

We have been a partner of China’s integration with the global community, including accession into the World Trade Organisation in 2001, recognition of China as a market economy since 2004, participation in the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) and establishment of dialogue partnership with ASEAN. Singapore was also one of the earliest supporters of the establishment of the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank.

As our economies undergo transformation and restructuring, both sides can connect our economies in new areas such as digital economy and innovation. To strengthen economic and business cooperation at the local level, we have established seven Provincial Business Councils with Guangdong, Liaoning, Shandong, Tianjin, Sichuan, Jiangsu, and Zhejiang. These Councils are co-chaired by the younger Singapore Ministers and Vice Ministers, and the Governors and Vice Governors of the respective Provinces. Through these Councils, we will continue to work on mutually beneficial projects that fit the respective Province’s overall development strategies. We also hope that our younger Ministers can build lasting friendships with their Chinese counterparts.

Q: Based on the existing economic cooperation and trade between the two countries, how will the two sides further promote cooperation in social governance, sustainable development and cultural exchanges? Which areas have the greatest potential?

DPM Teo: The characterisation of our relationship as an “All-Round Cooperative Partnership Progressing with the Times” reflects the depth, breadth and strength of our bilateral ties, and the bright prospects for the future. It highlights the constantly progressing nature of our bilateral cooperation in tandem with our changing needs and interests. We have consistently abided by our “One China” policy, and facilitated the landmark Wang-Koo talks in 1993 and the historic Xi-Ma meeting in Singapore in 2015.

Singapore has been a consistent friend and supporter of China’s peaceful development. Each of our Government-to-Government projects, namely the Suzhou Industrial Park, the Tianjin Eco-City, and the Chongqing Connectivity Initiative, and major platforms such as the Leadership Forum and Social Governance Forum, have supported China’s developmental priorities at key stages.

Our bilateral people-to-people relations have always been strong. There are many regular exchanges in cultural, educational, scientific and other areas between our two countries. In 2015, in conjunction with the 25th anniversary of bilateral relations, the Singapore Embassy and Singapore companies in China raised almost 4 million RMB to build three primary school hostels in the earthquake-hit Ludian County in Yunnan Province. The construction of the hostels has now been completed, and Ludian students will be able to use them very soon. The close people-to-people ties were also seen through the generous donation of US$25 million by Singaporeans to assist those affected by the 2008 Sichuan earthquake. We are a small country, but we have been a reliable and longstanding friend of China, even in times of need.

There is much room for further cooperation on the “Belt and Road” initiative. Both sides have agreed that beginning from this year, cooperation on the “Belt and Road” initiative will be included as a key item on the JCBC agenda. Singapore-China relations have always been supported by a high degree of mutual trust at all levels, and the JCBC represents this special relationship. I am confident that as long-standing friends, we can build on the strong foundations and continue to strengthen the special ties between our two countries as we write the next chapter of bilateral cooperation.

Q: Singapore is an important ASEAN member and has served as the country coordinator for China-ASEAN relations since August 2015. Recently, Sino-Singapore relations have experienced some frictions at the government and people to people level. We can hear some “noise” from time to time. What is your view of these twists and turns? In which areas should China and Singapore work together to enhance mutual trust?

DPM Teo: Singapore and China have a broad and longstanding relationship. We share similar views on most issues, and have worked well together to advance these common interests. But even among close neighbours and friends, there may be different perspectives on some issues, given that countries have different size, history, vulnerabilities, and geographical location. But the fundamental position of our two countries, that we share a common interest in the peaceful growth and development of our two countries and the region remains the same. Our common interest in building a peaceful and growing region is much greater than any occasional differences of views.

Singapore will continue to be a strong supporter of China’s peaceful development and constructive engagement in the region. As country coordinator, we are committed to strengthening the ASEAN-China partnership. China has been ASEAN’s largest trading partner since 2009, and ASEAN has been China’s third largest trading partner since 2011. We upgraded the ASEAN-China FTA in 2015, developed several co-production projects in the last two years, and are working to improve tourism cooperation and synergy between the “Belt and Road” initiative and the Masterplan for ASEAN Connectivity in 2017.

It is not easy to reach a consensus on every issue among the 10 ASEAN Member States and China. Nonetheless, what is most important is to maintain close communication so that we can expand on our common interests and reduce differences. We should also focus on enlarging our shared interests and advancing common objectives. Among true friends, there are no issues which cannot be discussed and no challenges which cannot be overcome.

As country coordinator, we will do our best to strengthen and deepen ASEAN-China cooperation, and I am confident of the bright prospects for even closer relations between ASEAN and China.

Q: Singapore is an important developed ASEAN member. What role do you think Singapore will play in China's “21st Century Maritime Silk Road” initiative? In the process of advancing Southeast Asian connectivity and ASEAN integration, in which areas could China and Singapore cooperate to achieve mutual benefit and win-win results? Singapore is currently discussing a High Speed Rail cooperation project with Malaysia. Will Singapore invite Chinese companies to participate?

DPM Teo: Singapore is a strategic hub of the age-old “Maritime Silk Road” linking China, Southeast Asia, West Asia and the Middle East. As a key hub for trade, infrastructure financing and one of the largest offshore Renminbi centres, Singapore is well-placed to support the growing number of Chinese companies venturing into markets along the “Belt and Road”.

Singapore-based banks and infrastructural funds are key players in providing project loans and financial advisory for regional infrastructure projects. In particular, Chinese and Singapore banks are actively financing “Belt and Road” projects, particularly in Southeast Asia. The Monetary Authority of Singapore is also working with commercial banks and multilateral organisations to develop infrastructure as an investible asset class. Some of these multilateral organisations such as the World Bank, the International Finance Corporation and the Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency already have offices located in Singapore. This will help to harness more private capital to support regional infrastructure financing needs.

The “Belt and Road” will also complement initiatives such as the ASEAN Economic Community and the Master Plan on ASEAN Connectivity, and the various FTAs that regional countries are currently negotiating, including the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership.

There are many opportunities for Singapore and Chinese companies to work together on the “Belt and Road” projects in areas such as transport and logistics, mixed-use park developments, construction materials and financing. For example, Singapore’s Ascendas and China Machinery Engineering Corporation signed an Agreement in November 2015 to form a joint venture to develop industrial and business parks in third countries. Our officials are currently in negotiations to conclude an MOU on Developing Third Party Market Cooperation, and this will facilitate joint collaborations in ‘Belt and Road” projects.

Singapore and Malaysia have agreed to conduct an international competitive tender for the High Speed Rail (HSR) link between Singapore and Kuala Lumpur. Several leaders from Singapore have taken China’s HSR. Singapore recognises the strengths in China’s extensive HSR system, and welcomes Chinese companies to put in a good bid for the HSR tender. Singapore and Malaysia will give all bids serious consideration in a fair, open and transparent manner.

Master likes this.
  15. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Singapore, China leaders laud deep, growing ties

[​IMG]
    Leaders of Singapore and China signing the MOU between China's State Intellectual Property Office, Singapore's Intellectual Property Office of Singapore and the People’s Government of Guangdong Province on the establishment of a framework agreement on Tripartite Cooperation for facilitating the Intellectual Reform pilot programme in Sino-Singapore Guangzhou Knowledge City. Photo: MCI

TODAY

Published: 4:00 AM, February 28, 2017
    Updated: 6:05 PM, February 28, 2017

BEIJING — Singapore and China leaders yesterday lauded the deep, growing ties between the two countries as both sides signed four agreements on the sidelines of a key annual bilateral meeting in Beijing.

Deputy Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean met Chinese Vice-Premier Zhang Gaoli for talks at the Diaoyutai State Guesthouse, during which the latter noted that ties between China and Singapore have grown from strength to strength.

Mr Zhang, who is a member of the Communist Party’s apex Politburo Standing Committee, also called on Singapore and China to take advantage of the opportunities in the region to step up bilateral cooperation.

“China places high importance on developing ties with Singapore and wishes to work together with Singapore to deliver on the various agreements between the leaders, enhance political trust, strengthen strategic cooperation, build closer people-to-people ties and deepen bilateral cooperation,” China’s state media Xinhua said in a report on Mr Zhang’s meetings with Mr Teo.

Both leaders later co-chaired the 13th Joint Council for Bilateral Cooperation (JCBC) meeting, an annual high-level bilateral platform to discuss ways to deepen and broaden Singapore-China cooperation.

Commenting on the outcomes of the meetings, Chinese Foreign Ministry Spokesman Geng Shuang said yesterday there was a high degree of strategic complementarity between the two countries.

“The two sides agreed that there is great synergy between their development strategies and bilateral cooperation in fields such as infrastructure, information technology and finance under the framework of the Belt and Road Initiative which enjoys tremendous potential and bright prospects,” he said, referring to President Xi Jinping’s signature plan to expand infrastructure and connectivity across the region.

“I am confident that with the efforts of both sides, China-Singapore relations highlighted by practical cooperation will achieve greater development and deliver more benefits to the people of the two countries and this region.”

Besides the JCBC, Mr Teo and Mr Zhang also presided over the steering council meetings of the three government-to-government cooperation projects — the China-Singapore Suzhou Industrial Park, the Sino-Singapore Tianjin Eco-city and the Chongqing Connectivity Initiative (CCI). Mr Teo said the meetings focused on how both sides can take cooperation on the three projects forward.

“I would say the meetings are characterised by three things. First, they were deep and broad-based. Second, there were practical outcomes and third, they were forward-looking,” Mr Teo told Singapore journalists.

“The depth and the breadth of the relations (are) shown by a wide range of issues and matters in which we are cooperating in. The practical outcomes I think are demonstrated, for example, by the fact that we have four MOUs signed and 15 others on the sidelines,” he added. “So all in, it’s a good meeting and I would say that our relations are progressing positively.”

Mr Teo and Mr Zhang witnessed yesterday’s signing ceremony of the four agreements to deepen collaboration in the biomedical industry in Suzhou, to form a panel of experts on the sustainable development of Tianjin Eco-city, to drive transport and logistics development in Chongqing and to cooperate in areas related to intellectual property.

Mr Teo also had meetings with Chinese leaders. “In particular, Central Organisation Department Minister Zhao Leji and DPM agreed that the 6th Leadership Forum will be held later this year,” said a statement by the Prime Minister’s Office.

National Development Minister Lawrence Wong yesterday said that the Tianjin Eco-city was a project that exemplified the “broad-based, practical and forward-looking” cooperation between both sides.

“No one at the start would have imagined living at this site, which was swampland and barren. But both China and Singapore made it happen, and we created a beautiful and green city literally from the ground up, and that’s something both sides can be very proud of,” he said, noting how in 2016 alone, the population of Eco-city went up by 75 per cent from 40,000 to 70,000, and the number of companies jumped by 60 per cent from 2,800 to 4,500.

“It’s a symbol and showcase of what China and Singapore can do together,” he said.

Singapore is China’s top source of foreign investments, while the latter is the Republic’s biggest trading partner. But bilateral ties have come under the spotlight recently, with the Chinese media carrying articles criticising Singapore for not siding more with China on the South China Sea issue. Last year, several of Singapore’s armoured vehicles were detained in Hong Kong. The vehicles have since been returned.

Yesterday, Mr Teo reiterated that Sino-Singapore ties were long-standing and broad-based.

“Even among the best of neighbours and friends, from time to time, there will be differences in perceptions because of different sizes, different geographical areas, different interests, different vulnerabilities. I think we need to recognise that, both countries recognised that,” he said.

“But the very broad area of cooperation, broad and deep cooperation that we have in many areas, I think came through clearly during our meetings, and this is what we will focus on and how to take this relationship forward.”

FOUR BILATERAL PACTS INKED

Details of the agreements signed yesterday and witnessed by Deputy Prime Minister and Coordinating Minister for National Security Teo Chee Hean and Chinese Vice-Premier Zhang Gaoli:

1 Suzhou Industrial Park (SIP). A Letter of Intent (LOI) on deepening collaboration in the biomedical industry was signed between SIP Administrative Committee, the National University of Singapore and the Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology. The LOI aims to encourage Singapore biomedical start-ups to expand into China through the SIP and to encourage collaborative partnerships between Singapore and China biomedical institutes and companies.

2 Sino-Singapore Tianjin Eco-city. The Ministry of National Development and China’s Ministry of Housing and Urban-Rural Development agreed to form a Joint Expert Panel, comprising experts from government and private sectors, academic institutions and research organisations, to exchange ideas, and advise on how the city can continue to develop in a sustainable manner. The 30sqkm development broke ground in 2008 and currently has over 70,000 residents and 4,500 companies with a total capital of 200 billion yuan (S$41 billion).

3 Chongqing Connectivity Initiative. International Enterprise Singapore and the Chongqing municipal government signed a Memorandum of Understanding to drive transport and logistics development in Chongqing and improve the municipality’s transport links to the rest of China, South-east Asia and beyond. Since the launch of the Chongqing Connectivity Initiative in November 2015, cross-border financial flows and aviation connectivity between Singapore and Chongqing have grown significantly.

4 Sino-Singapore Guangzhou Knowledge City (SSGKC). The Intellectual Property Office of Singapore signed a Memorandum of Understanding with China’s State Intellectual Property Office and the Guangdong provincial government to explore new areas of cooperation to support Singaporean and Chinese businesses to protect, promote and commercialise their intellectual property (IP). It will leverage on SSGKC as an IP reform pilot zone. SSGKC is a private-sector-led and government-supported project aiming to become a vibrant and sustainable hub that is attractive to skilled manpower and knowledge-based industries.

Master likes this.
  16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    https://www.iproperty.com.sg/news/1...0&sc_lid=53431421&sc_uid=TwqMyQJfj7#investors

Week in Review - 10 March 2017

Singapore no. 2 destination for Asian property investors

[​IMG]

A recent study has found Singapore to be No. 2 in a list of top destinations for wealthy Asian investors. The Wealth Report compiled by Knight Frank has placed Singapore second, after only Britain, as a country high net worth Asians are favouring as a property-investment destination.

Excluding their primary residence, these individuals are defined by their portfolios of at least US$30 million (S$42.3 million). They are also more likely to apportion most of their assets to real estate investments. This could come as good news to developers and property marketing agencies, helping them narrow down their target audiences and structure more focused marketing strategies which are more essential now than ever as the economy languishes.

While Chinese investors are the mainstay of the real estate scene, Indian and Malaysian buyers are making an increasingly obvious presence. Property analysts are expecting the proportion of foreign home buyers in Singapore to rise to between 25 and 28 per cent this year. Their numbers currently stand at 24.7 per cent. Singapore’s slower rate of property growth allows investors to take stock of their investment and stake calculated risks without having to grapple with the rapidly increasing price growth in cities in China, Australia and Canada.

Some of the other countries which are also gaining traction in the real estate investment arena are China and Vietnam. Singapore’s stable political and business environment has however continued to make it a choice pick amongst Asian investors.

Master likes this.
  17. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Changi named world’s best airport for 5th year in a row

[​IMG]
    Mr Lee Seow Hiang, CEO of Changi Airport Group (left) receiving the Skytrax World's Best Airport Award from Mr Edward Plaisted, CEO of Skytrax (right). Photo: Changi Airport Group

Published: 6:15 AM, March 15, 2017
    Updated: 6:45 AM, March 15, 2017

SINGAPORE — Changi Airport has won the prestigious Skytrax World’s Best Airport award for the fifth consecutive year, it was announced on Tuesday (March 14).

The Singapore international airport clinched the top spot this year ahead of Tokyo’s Haneda airport, South Korea’s Incheon International Airport, the Munich Airport in Germany and the Hong Kong International Airport. The Hamad International Airport in Doha, the Central Japan International Airport near Nagoya, the Zurich Airport in Switzerland, the London Heathrow Airport and the Frankfurt Airport rounded up the top ten.

Changi Airport also received the awards for the World’s Best Airport Leisure Amenities, and the Best Airport in Asia. It has held the former title since the award category was first introduced in 2009.

“Winning the Skytrax World’s Best Airport Award for the fifth consecutive year is immense encouragement to our 50,000-strong airport community at Changi Airport, every one of whom is passionate about delivering the most memorable airport experience to our passengers,” said Changi Airport Group’s chief executive officer Lee Seow Hiang. “This recognition affirms our service belief which we have held steadfast all these years – putting passengers at the heart of all we do,” he added.

“While we expand our facilities to serve more passengers in the coming years, we will continue to work closely with all our airport partners to further enhance the Changi Experience. We share this honour with the Changi Airport community and the many government agencies whom we work closely with. Without their support, we could not have achieved this. Above all, to all of our passengers, thank you for your vote of confidence!”

The Skytrax World Airport Survey is widely regarded as the quality benchmark for the world airport industry, assessing customer service and facilities across 550 airports. The 2017 Awards are based on 13.82 million airport survey questionnaires that were completed by 105 different nationalities of air travellers from July 2016 to Feb 2017. Among the service and product key performance indicators include travellers’ satisfaction during check-ins, arrivals, transfers, shopping, security and immigration through to departure at the gate.

Mr Edward Plaisted, CEO of Skytrax said the award “is very much a collective recognition for all staff at the airport who contribute to the success of Changi Airport operations".

“To be voted the world’s Best Airport for the fifth consecutive year is a remarkable achievement for Changi Airport, and underlines the airport’s popularity with international air travellers. Changi Airport continues to innovate product and service facilities for customers, and is making the travel experience at the airport enjoyable and relaxing,” he added.

Master likes this.
  18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Singapore climbs ranks 4th globally for travel freedom: Index

[​IMG]
    TODAY file photo
    [​IMG]
    The Henley & Partners Visa Restrictions Index 2017. Photo: Henley and Partners
    [​IMG]
    Country rankings. Photo: Henley & Partners

Published: 12:50 PM, March 16, 2017
    Updated: 1:20 PM, March 16, 2017

SINGAPORE — The Republic has been ranked the fourth country in the world with the most travel freedom – its highest ranking in a decade.

Climbing one spot from last year, Singapore has visa-free access to 173 countries out of 218 countries, according to the 2017 Visa Restrictions Index.

This places the strength of the Singapore passport on par with those from the UK, Austria, France and Norway.

The UK has slipped down yet another position this year to share fourth place with Singapore, after being in first place with Germany for three consecutive years from 2013 to 2015.

Regionally, Singapore is in the top spot again, followed closely by Malaysia in second and Brunei Darussalam in third, with visa-free accesss to 164 and 151 countries respectively.

The biggest climbers in the region were Laos and Myanmar, which are ranked 8th and 9th in South-east Asia. They rose two spots each from last year.

Meanwhile, Germany maintains its top spot on the index for the fourth consecutive year, with access to 176 countries in total. Sweden also remained in second place with visa-free access to 175 countries.

The index - produced by residence and citizenship planning consultancy Henley and Partners in collaboration with the International Air Transport Asssociation - ranked a total of 104 countries.

Master likes this.
  19. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Yale-NUS picks Tan Tai Yong as new president

[​IMG]
    Professor Tan Tai Yong. Photo: Yale-NUS
    Published: 2:17 PM, March 14, 2017

SINGAPORE – After an eight-month global search, Yale-NUS College has looked in-house and picked historian Tan Tai Yong as its new President.

Professor Tan, who was a Nominated Member of Parliament, will take office from July, succeeding the liberal arts college’s founding President Pericles Lewis, who will be returning to Yale University to take up a senior administrative post. Since October 2014, Prof Tan is the Executive Vice-President (Academic Affairs) of Yale-NUS. He was formerly the Vice Provost (Student Life) at the National University of Singapore and Dean of its Arts and Social Science faculty, among other appointments.

In a press statement, the college said its governing board on Tuesday (March 14) unanimously elected Prof Tan after the “extensive” worldwide search led by Yale University President Emeritus Richard C Levin and NUS President Tan Chorh Chuan.

Prof Levin said: “The Search Committee cast its net around the world… We considered many outstanding candidates, but in the end, we concluded that the best candidate was right here.” Prof Tan Chorh Chuan described the Yale-NUS President-designate as a “highly effective academic leader” who is widely respected for his leadership qualities, strong interpersonal skills, empathy and grace. “He is deeply committed to liberal arts education and is truly passionate about Yale-NUS College in particular,” he added.
    Yale-NUS had announced in July last year Prof Lewis’ impending departure. With a new President coming onboard, the college will have an entirely different senior leadership compared to the team in place when it was launched in 2011.

Prof Lewis said he was “overjoyed” to be handing over to his “friend and colleague”. “His wisdom, energy, and calm have improved Yale-NUS immeasurably since he joined the College full-time two and a half years ago,” he added. Prof Tan Tai Yong described his appointment as the “greatest privilege” and said he was looking forward to working with his colleagues to “advance the College in the coming years”.

Master likes this.
  20. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    NUS retains top spot as Asia's best university in Times Higher

Education ranking, NTU drops two spots

[​IMG]
    NUS is the top university in Asia. TODAY file photo
    Published: 4:00 AM, March 16, 2017

SINGAPORE — The National University of Singapore (NUS) has held on to its place as the top university in Asia in the latest Times Higher Education Asia University Rankings released on Thursday (March 16), despite "very tough competition" from Chinese universities this year.

This is the second consecutive year that NUS has been crowned the top university in Asia, after it first overtook the University of Tokyo in 2016.

Meanwhile, the growing strength of Chinese universities saw Nanyang Technological University (NTU) drop from joint-second in the rankings to fourth spot this year. NTU was overtaken by both Peking University and Tsinghua University, despite seeing an overall improvement on its score.

The gap between NUS and Peking University has also narrowed. In 2016, NUS' overall score was 77.4 compared to Peking's 72.9. Both universities' scores improved this year, with NUS at 80.6 while Peking's was 77.5. NTU's score went up from 72.9 to 74.2, while Tsinghua's jumped from 70.9 to 76.8.

Mr Phil Baty, the editor of the Times Higher Education rankings, commented: "China’s Peking and Tsinghua universities (have) improved by a larger margin (compared to Singapore universities), resulting in their second and third rankings, respectively, this year.

"This is largely due to the Chinese universities receiving much higher scores for their teaching and research, environments," he said.

Still, Mr Baty noted that Singapore's universities are "world class", and that "powerful policy drives" and investments have helped spur research excellence here.

"The city-state now spends 2.2 per cent of its GDP on research and development, up from 1.8 per cent in 2000 – more than China and the United Kingdom," Mr Baty said. "Singapore is one of the top performing nations in the table given its GDP."

NUS president Professor Tan Chorh Chuan said the university was very pleased to be recognised once again as Asia's leading university.

"This is a strong recognition of our Asian and global approach to education and research, as well as the importance we place on making a positive impact on the nation and the community around us.

"I am grateful to our outstanding faculty and researchers, and our talented students, for their excellent efforts, and for the strong support of the Singapore government. We will strive to ensure that NUS’ education and research remain innovative and relevant to Singapore, Asia and beyond." Prof Tan said.

Meanwhile, NTU president Professor Bertil Andersson noted the "much keener" competition at the top when explaining the university's drop in the rankings.

"Some fluctuations each year are not unexpected when you are in the top league. I’m happy that NTU has performed better and has higher scores compared to last year. Compared to two years ago when we were placed 10th, we have made big strides up in the rankings, although not as much as last year," Prof Andersson said.

The top 10 universities in Asia this year are (in order) : NUS, Peking University, Tsinghua University, NTU, University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, University of Tokyo, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, Seoul National University, and Pohang University of Science and Technology.

This year's Times Higher Education Asia University Rankings judged the top 300 universities in Asia. A total of 24 countries made the list. Japan is Asia’s top university nation overall with 69 featured institutions, followed by China with 54 and India with 33. East Asia dominates the top 20; China has six universities represented, South Korea and Hong Kong both have five, and Japan and Singapore have two each.

The regional rankings, which are based on the same performance indicators and methodology as the established Times Higher Education World University Rankings, uses 13 separate performance indicators to examine each university’s strengths against its core missions of teaching, research, knowledge transfer and international outlook. However, the weightings are specially recalibrated to reflect the priorities of Asian institutions, placing more importance on industry income and research income, and also on productivity in terms of publications.

Master likes this.