Singapore Also Can

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Loh, May 4, 2009.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    OUE extends title sponsorship of S’pore Open until 2017

[​IMG]

Danny Bawa Chrisnanta and Vanessa Neo in OUE Singapore Open 2014 on April 10, 2014. TODAY file photo

By Adelene Wong
    adelenewong@mediacorp.com.sg -

Published: 4:38 PM, November 11, 2014

SINGAPORE — OUE has extended its title sponsorship of the OUE Singapore Open for three more years until 2017 in a deal worth S$2.2 million, the Singapore Badminton Association (SBA) announced today (Nov 11).

Next year’s OUE Singapore Open will be the fourth-leg of the MetLife BWF World SuperSeries, and is slated to take place at the Singapore Indoor Stadium from April 7 to 12.

“Through our title sponsorship, OUE hopes to promote the development of badminton in schools and the community in Singapore,” said Dr Stephen Riady, executive chairman of OUE at the sponsorship announcement at Mandarin Orchard Hotel.

“We also believe that the OUE Singapore Open will continue to give local players the opportunity to compete at the highest levels.”

Also present was SBA president Lee Yi Shyan, who is also Senior Minister of State for Trade and National Development.

OUE, a public-listed company, first came on board as title sponsor of the OUE Singapore Open last year.

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    "Significant move forward" on FTAAP at APEC: PM Lee

By Jeremy Koh

POSTED: 11 Nov 2014 20:43

While the Free Trade Area of the Asia-Pacific is backed by Beijing, it is not "a Chinese idea" and would benefit many countries when it is established, said Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong.

[​IMG]

(From left) Ho Ching, wife of Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong (2nd-L), Chinese President Xi Jinping and his wife Peng Liyuan pose for a group photo before the dinner hosted by Xi for APEC leaders on Nov 10, 2014. (Photo: AP/Ng Han Guan)

BEIJING: The Beijing-backed Free Trade Area of the Asia-Pacific (FTAAP) is a long-term ideal, and not a Chinese idea. But China has done the APEC member economies a favour by pushing forward the FTAAP process, said Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong as he met the media on Tuesday (Nov 11), the last day of his China visit.

From lighting up the night sky with a spectacular fireworks display to pulling out all stops to clean up the air, Beijing has done all it can to ensure that the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) meeting is a success.

"It was a good agenda. We talked about the FTAAP, and we have agreed to launch a study on the issues related to it, which is a very significant move forward.," said Mr Lee.

On the Beijing-backed FTAAP, Mr Lee said it is not just beneficial to China, but also to other countries. When established, it would be one of the largest free trade areas in the world.

Some see the proposal as a way to divert attention from the more comprehensive US-backed Trans-Pacific Partnership plan being negotiated by 12 countries, excluding China.

"The FTAAP is not a Chinese idea. This is an idea which was there at the beginning. It was the reason we created APEC back in 1989," Mr Lee noted. "But it was a long-term ideal. You cannot get there in one jump. I think the time is right for us to take it another step forward."

Mr Lee also said the rise of China will be a major factor in the landscape of not just Asia, but also the world. The Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank which China proposed is one way to show that it can be helpful, and at the same time, extend its influence and soft power.

"China is growing and they will continue to grow with difficulties and ups and downs,” he said. “But as long as they make progress on the reforms and I think they are absolutely serious about working at them, then I think their reforms will enable them to grow rapidly for quite a long time to come."

After China, Mr Lee is heading to Nay Pyi Taw in Myanmar where he will attend the 25th Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) summit and related summits. The leaders of China, Japan and the United States are also slated to be there. While there, the leaders will be exchanging views on a range of regional and international issues.

- CNA/xy

3. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Orchard Road goes colourful for Christmas to celebrate Singapore's diversity

Published on Nov 13, 2014 12:54 PM

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This year's Christmas light-up along Orchard Road include multi-coloured Christmas trees and glittering blue snowflakes. -- PHOTO: ORCHARD ROAD BUSINESS ASSOCIATION

By Melissa Lin

SINGAPORE- It will be a colourful Christmas at Orchard Road this year.

Multi-coloured Christmas trees and glittering blue snowflakes will line the shopping street from Tanglin Mall to Plaza Singapura from this Saturday.

The many colours reflect Singapore's diversity as it celebrates 50 years of nationhood next year, said Mrs May Sng, chairman of the Orchard Road Business Association (Orba), which is behind the light-up. The festive decorations the past few years had stuck to one or two colours, she added.

Adding a nostalgic touch is a photo exhibition on the past Christmas celebrations at Orchard Road, dating back to 1984. To be held outside Shaw House Urban Plaza, it commemorates 50 years of tourism development in Singapore.

Both the light-up, back for its 31st year, and the exhibition will run from Nov 15 to Jan 1. Called Christmas on A Great Street, the light-up stretches 2.88km and will start at 6.30pm each evening during the seven-week period.

Other highlights include a mass carolling event at the Tong Building plaza on Christmas Eve and a concert on Christmas Day. There will also be specially designed glittering structures set up at different points along the shopping belt for shoppers to snap a photo with. They come in the form of a Christmas gift box, photo frame and window, among others.

Orba has raised almost $3 million for the Community Chest by offering several of these Christmas set pieces as a fundraising platform. The pieces will feature logos of corporate entities that contributed to the charity.

Visitors will also be able to walk under the Christmas lights along a vehicle-free Orchard Road on the night of Dec 6. The street's third pedestrian night will feature outdoor screenings of local films, bouncy castles for children and photo opportunities with Christmas mascots, said Singapore Tourism Board's director of lifestyle precincts development, Ms Tan Yen Nee.

The pedestrianisation of Orchard Road is a six-month initiative where the street is closed to cars every first Saturday night of each month until March next year.

President Tony Tan Keng Yam will switch on the lights during a ceremony at Shaw House Urban Plaza on Nov 15.

Volunteers will be giving out 5,000 multi-coloured light sticks outside Ion Orchard that day, and the organisers have pledged to donate $1 to the Community Chest for every light stick distributed to the public.

Twelve malls will also be vying for the title of Best Dressed Building this year. The public can vote via the free mobile app, @Orchard, between Nov 15 and Nov 30 and stand to win $3,000 worth of shopping vouchers.

4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Playwright Haresh Sharma wins SEA Write Award 2014 (Singapore)

POSTED: 13 Nov 2014 13:54

TODAY reports: The Necessary Stage's Resident Playwright has won the South East Asian Writers Award, which is an annual award to recognise and honour literary excellence in the ASEAN region.

[​IMG]

File photo of The Necessary Stage's Resident Playwright Haresh Sharma.

SINGAPORE: Playwright Haresh Sharma has been crowned the winner of the SEA Write Award (Singapore). The Resident Playwright of theatre company The Necessary Stage will receive the award in Bangkok on Dec 15.

The National Book Development Council of Singapore (NBDCS) made the announcement in a press release on Thursday (Nov 13). In it, the NBDCS also highlighted that Mr Sharma has written more than 100 plays to date.

Several of these plays have been staged internationally and he has clinched numerous accolades, including the National Arts Council’s Young Artist Award for theatre in 1997. The Necessary Stage’s Separation 40 - which he co-wrote - also won the award for Best Production at the 4th BOH Cameronian Arts Awards.

Another highlight of Mr Sharma's career was when he became the first non-American to be awarded the prestigious Goldberg Master Playwright by New York University’s Tisch School of the Arts in 2011.

Mr Sharma's play, Off Centre, was selected by the Ministry of Education (MOE) as a literature text for ‘N’ and ‘O’ Levels in 2006. Mr Sharma has previously been invited to teach workshops and attend festivals in cities around the world - most recently, he was present at the inaugural Singapore Literature Festival in New York last month.

The SEA Write Award, also known as the South East Asian Writers Awards, is an annual award established in 1979 to recognise and honour literary excellence in the ASEAN region, said the NBDCS. They are presented to leading poets and writers in the 10 countries which comprise the ASEAN region.

The winners for this award are selected by their own peers in each of the countries, and may be presented for a specific work by an author or for his or her lifetime achievement. The categories and types of works include poetry, short stories, novels, plays, folklore and scholarly and religious works.

Past winners for Singapore include Philip Jeyaretnam (2003), Soon Ai Ling (2004), P Krishnan (2005), Isa Kamari (2006), Rex Shelley (2007), Stella Kon (2008), Chia Hwee Pheng (2009), Johar Bin Buang (2010), Robert Yeo (2011), Suchen Christine Lim (2012) and Yeng Pway Ngon (2013).

-TODAY/kk

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Turning disappointment into gold

[​IMG]

Wang Wenying (right) in the gold medal match against Chloe Dickson. Photo: Serge Timacheff/International Fencing Federation

Motivated by Asiad snub, fencer Wang makes history for Singapore at the Commonwealth Championships

By Adelene Wong
    adelenewong@mediacorp.com.sg -

Published: 4:04 AM, November 13, 2014

SINGAPORE — National fencer Wang Wenying bounced back from the disappointment of missing out on selection for the women’s individual foil at the recent Asian Games by winning Singapore’s first gold medal at the Commonwealth Fencing Championships.

Yesterday at the sportscotland National Centre Inverclyde in Largs, Scotland, 34-year-old Wang bagged what she described as the biggest win of her career by trouncing the host nation’s Chloe Dickson 15-3 for the women’s individual foil gold medal.

In fact, Singapore had been assured of a finalist after Wang and team-mate Cheryl Wong set up a semi-final meeting, which Wang took 13-7. Wong’s joint-bronze with England’s Cathy Cook also marked a rare occasion when two of the Republic’s fencers made the podium in senior competition.

In the lopsided final, an assured Wang imposed herself early against Dickson, who seemed to flounder under the weight of home fans’ expectations. As Wang picked up point after point — storming to a 14-0 lead — Dickson became increasingly flustered, though she composed herself enough to win three consolation points.

Said Wang: “It was her home ground and credit to her, she fought well.

“But I’d figured out how she fences after watching her semi-final match and my game plan for how to deal with her worked right from the outset.

“She is very good in defence, but not as strong in attack. So, I just tried to control my distance from her and not rush in on her too quickly, but only attack when I see a chance.”

Things were not so encouraging for Wang two months ago, when she contemplated giving up fencing after missing out on the two slots for the individual foil at the Asian Games, which went to Wong and her sister Liane.

“At one point, I was thinking I should stop and do something else, and that was after this year’s Asian Games selection,” said Wang.

“I thought this is it and maybe I should just focus on being a full-time coach, I don’t know. It was disappointing.”

But she went to Incheon nonetheless and fenced in the women’s team foil event and her passion for the sport saw her soldiering on, driven by the desire to win gold on home ground when the South-east Asian Games is held here next June.

“I also decided to turn the disappointment into motivation to prove myself as one of Singapore’s best foilists,” said Wang, who with husband Wu Jie set up the Absolute Fencing school here.

“I also reminded myself I made the top 64 (55th place) at the individual women’s foil at July’s World Fencing Championships in Russia, and that I am under ‘The Final Push’ programme by Sport Singapore.”

While she was not selected in the first batch of athletes awarded the Sports Excellence Scholarship (spexScholarship), being in “The Final Push” means Wang gets extra support to train full-time towards the 2015 SEA Games.

Having won the team gold medal at the 2009 SEA Games and the team silver in the 2011 edition, Wang wants now to have a shot at winning both the individual and team events next year here.

Said Wang: “This win at the Commonwealth Championships has convinced me that I can compete for many more years.”

6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    NUS ranks 39th, NTU ranks 42nd in new Nature Index for high quality research

[​IMG]
    National University of Singapore and Nanyang Technological University. Photo: Channelnewsasia/TODAY

Published: 2:01 AM, November 13, 2014
    Updated: 2:17 AM, November 13, 2014

SINGAPORE — Both the National University of Singapore (NUS) and Nanyang Technological University (NTU) have debuted in the top 50 in the inaugural Nature Index, which seeks to provide an indicator of patterns of high-quality research output across the globe.

NUS was ranked 39th, the highest-ranked Singapore research institution in the index, while NTU was ranked 42nd, out of 20,000 institutions worldwide, including national research organisations.

At the country level, Singapore ranked 17th internationally.

The index, by Nature the world’s leading weekly international scientific journal, uses a database that tracks the author affiliations of nearly 60,000 high quality scientific articles published annually from more than 20,000 research institutions worldwide.

Articles included in the Nature Index are drawn from 68 natural science journals, independently chosen by researchers as being where they would want to publish their most significant research. The Nature Publishing Group — which compiled and published the Nature Index — said the 68 journals account for about 30 per cent of total citations to natural science journals.

More than 2,800 responses from scientists across the major disciplines of the natural sciences to a large-scale survey were used to validate the selections. The journals were selected by two independent panels of active scientists, chaired by Professor John Morton at the University College London and Dr Yin-Biao Sun at the King’s College London.

NUS ranked 31st globally for both chemistry and physical sciences, while NTU ranked 12th for chemistry – ahead of top universities such as the University of Oxford (13th), University of Cambridge (19th) and University of California, Los Angeles (27th) – and 39th in physical sciences.

Both local universities ranked better in physical sciences, ahead of universities including Georgia Institute of Technology (40th), University of Pennsylvania (44th), Seoul National University (46th) and Osaka University (50th).

NUS president professor Tan Chorh Chuan said: “We are delighted that NUS has been placed among the world’s top 40 research institutions in the new Nature Index. This is a reflection of the quality and impact of NUS research.”

NTU President Prof Bertil Andersson said, “The Nature Index clearly highlights the high quality and visibility of Singapore’s research in the highly competitive international arena. It shows the recognition of the world-class research at NTU and how we have contributed significantly to Singapore’s high global standing in research.”

Nature Publishing Group Chief executive Steven Inchcoombe said: “Research is a global enterprise, and science has the power to help solve the societal challenges of our day. At Nature Publishing Group, we want to understand research outputs, collaborations between institutions and the state of global research, and to enable an evidence-based approach to policy and funding. We hope the Nature Index, and its freely accessible website, will be helpful to the research community as another perspective to the metrics and evaluation tools available.”

The results were published in the first edition of the Nature Index 2014 Global supplement released together with the latest issue of Nature, which is widely recognised as one of the world’s most highly cited weekly multidisciplinary journals.

7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Seow's a world champion

David LeeThe New PaperMonday, Nov 10, 2014
    20141108_Golf_TNP.jpg

[​IMG]

He conquered the windy conditions of Durban, South Africa, and overcame flightmates who submitted erroneous scores.

Singapore's David Seow can now claim to be a world champion after winning the Division E (20.5-25.4 handicap) title of the World Golfers Championship yesterday.

The 29-year-old banker shot his personal best round of golf with a gross score of 80 for a superb nett score of 63 at the Mount Edgecombe Golf Course to register a final nett score of 264 after nett scores of 68, 70 and 63 in earlier rounds.

"Actually I had no expectations of winning at the start because all these guys here are so much taller and more athletic than me," Seow told The New Paper yesterday.

"I think my winning formula was just taking it one stroke at a time, trusting my swing in the wind and not worrying about the outcome."

It has been a eventful experience for Seow, who had to hit a shot over a house, splash out of a water hazard, and see his Swiss flight-mate disqualified for signing a lower score than he played.

"But the most memorable incident was when a monkey stole my breakfast today and I had to play with breakfast," he quipped.

The team results were unavailable at press time yesterday, but Seow's strong showing has put Team Singapore in contention to win the team competition, with hosts South Africa also among the contenders.

Team Singapore are also represented by Cody Lim in Division A (0-5.4), Sushminder Singh in Division B (5.5-10.4), Ko Yeo in Division C (10.5-15.4) and Tan Horng Chiang in Division D (15.5-20.4).

Seow added: "As much as I'm happy to do well in the individual event, I'm more concerned about the team performance and I hope my score can help us win the team event."

davidlee@sph.com.sg

8. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    ASEAN looks at ways to stay in charge of its future

Zakir HussainThe Straits TimesThursday, Nov 13, 2014
    33171777---12_11_2014---pixindia.jpg

[​IMG]

Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong and his Indian counterpart Narendra Modi meeting for the first time for bilateral talks yesterday on the sidelines of the 25th Asean Summit in Naypyitaw, Myanmar. They affirmed the excellent ties between Singapore and India, discussed expanding links in areas such as tourism and urban development and shared ideas on celebrating the 50th anniversary of bilateral ties next year. Mr Modi accepted Mr Lee’s invitation to visit Singapore next year.

THE leaders of all 10 South-east Asian nations yesterday agreed that more needed to be done to ensure the grouping remained in charge of the region's destiny in the years ahead, amid the growing menace of the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) militant group and the latent tensions from the territorial disputes in the South China Sea.

The leaders also pledged their support to build a tighter-knit ASEAN Community, with freer flow of goods and people by the end of next year.

They decided to set up a high-level task force to chart a post-2015 road map, strengthen the Jakarta-based ASEAN secretariat, and adopt a common position on global concerns such as terrorism and climate change.

The moves will ensure that ASEAN, and not outside powers, remains in control of its future.

ASEAN's unity - achieved through seeking consensus on key political decisions - had ensured peace and growth in the region, Myanmar President Thein Sein said while opening the summit.

But challenges such as natural disasters, the Ebola pandemic and extremism remained and it was important to strengthen ASEAN's ability to overcome these, he said.

Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong and Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak said ASEAN had to constantly look for ways to strengthen its capacity.

PM Lee and other leaders noted that the potential for miscalculations remained in the South China Sea despite the recent lowering of tensions. Mr Lee said it was good that both ASEAN and China had agreed to work towards "early conclusion" of a Code of Conduct, and "early harvest" measures such as hotlines to tackle flare-ups.

Officials should work with China to finalise these moves in the coming year, he added.
    He also said ASEAN had to intensify counter-terrorism cooperation to deal with ISIS.

"To effectively handle the major tasks ahead, we must stay united and maintain ASEAN centrality in the region," he said.

9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Shift in Singapore Sports Institute's approach

The New PaperThursday, Nov 13, 2014
    20141111_SSIdirector_TNP.jpg

[​IMG]SSI director of coach development Troy Engle

The development of coaches in Singapore used to comprise components such as formal course work and knowledge transfer from local and overseas experts.

But the Singapore Sports Institute (SSI) is now moving away from that, to a more collaborative learning model, with the institute acting as a facilitator and a gateway to sports science resources.

"We have a long-standing reputation of being a great coach educator with the NCAP (National Coaching Accreditation Programme), now known as the (SG-Coach) Programme," said SSI's director of coach development Troy Engle.

"Now we want SSI to be a resource for coaches to develop through non-formal education programmes and as a liaison between the sports-science world and the hands-on practitioners."

SHARING IDEAS

The 53-year-old American, who joined SSI in August, also wants to build a local coaches' community where ideas and experiences can be shared and implemented across different sports.

He said: "We know that as a football coach we might not want to share with another football coach, that might provide for an awkward competitive relationship.

But maybe I can talk to a basketball or silat coach about some of the things they do to develop the team and how they deal with unique coaching problems."

But he also acknowledges that building such a free-sharing community is difficult, along with getting coaches to move with the times.

Engle said: "When you have done things in a certain way for a period of time, it's hard to break out of a routine; and when there's money involved, there's a natural hesitation to share and open up.

"But we've got to try to see that it's not necessarily about me getting ahead of you, but of all of us trying to raise our collective standards."

10. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Commonwealth and Asian Games medallists walk away with $3.44m

May ChenThe Straits TimesWednesday, Nov 12, 2014
    33164300---11_11_2014---mcmap12.jpg

[​IMG]

Sailor Jodie Lai, swimmer Joseph Schooling’s mother May and bowler Jazreel Tan collected cash prizes, framed handwritten thank-you notes and Tissot watches at the Multi-Million Dollar Award Programme ceremony.

ALL OF Singapore's 53 medallists at this year's Commonwealth and Asian Games received special thank-you notes last night to go with their cash prizes from the Multi-Million Dollar Award Programme (MAP).

Each had a framed handwritten note from Minister for Manpower Tan Chuan-Jin, who is also Singapore National Olympic Council (SNOC) president, as well as a second congratulatory note from Minister for Culture, Community and Youth Lawrence Wong.

A total of $3.44 million was given out at the Pan Pacific Singapore under the cash incentive scheme sponsored by the Tote Board and Singapore Pools.

Sailor Jodie Lai, 13, one of the youngest recipients, received $200,000 for her gold-winning feat in the women's Optimist competition at the Incheon Asiad.

She took a while to decipher Mr Tan's cursive handwriting, but said the note was a heartfelt gesture she appreciated. "It's an honour because you never expect to receive a personal note from the minister," said the Raffles Girls' School student, who will be gunning for a berth when Singapore hosts the SEA Games next June. Swimmer Joseph Schooling pocketed the biggest sum: $370,000 for four medals won - one silver at the Glasgow Commonwealth Games and one gold, one silver and one bronze at the Incheon Asian Games. The 19-year-old, an undergraduate at the University of Texas, was represented by his parents last night.

Photo Gallery:
    S'pore's Commonwealth and Asian Games medalists receive rewards

Click on thumbnail to view photos. Source:
    AFP, Reuters, The Straits Times, Singapore National Olympic Council

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As a surprise, medallists and Games record holders of the Asian Games each received a watch from Swiss watchmaker Tissot, with their names engraved on it.

Singapore clinched eight golds, five silvers and four bronzes at the Commonwealth Games in July, then returned from the Asian Games with five golds, six silvers and 13 bronzes last month.

In his address, Mr Tan said: "(You) have encapsulated the spirit of Team Singapore. You have all been an inspiration... congratulations on prevailing (against) the adversities and soldiering on for Singapore."

Bowler Jazreel Tan was one of those singled out by Mr Tan, for her relentless pursuit of Asian Games success, having missed the 2006 edition and returned empty- handed in 2010. "There's been a lot of angst, tears and anger over the past eight years," said Tan, who was awarded $267,333 for being the most bemedalled athlete at the Asian Games with one gold, two silvers and a bronze.

All athletes will plough back 20 per cent of their rewards for the Asian Games and half of what they get for the Commonwealth Games to their respective national sports associations for training and development purposes.

11. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Singapore, China to explore new initiatives to boost military ties

By Jeremy Koh

POSTED: 13 Nov 2014 14:49

Among other things, Singapore will be proposing more joint training exercises to promote mutual trust between the two armed forces, said Defence Minister Ng Eng Hen.

[​IMG]

Defence Minister Ng Eng Hen (left), accompanied by the People's Liberation Army Navy RADM Wei Gang (centre), was brought on a tour onboard Fushun. (Photo: MINDEF)

BEIJING: Singapore and China will be exploring new initiatives to boost military ties, said Singapore Defence Minister Ng Eng Hen in Beijing on Thursday (Nov 13).

Speaking at the People's Liberation Army (PLA) National Defence University in Beijing, Dr Ng pointed out that China and Singapore will be commemorating 25 years of diplomatic relations next year, and a number of joint projects, such as the Suzhou Industrial Park and the Tianjin Eco-city, indicated the strength of the bilateral relationship. He said he hopes the defence relationship between the two countries would also grow in tandem.

For instance, Singapore will be proposing more joint training exercises to promote mutual trust between the two armed forces.

"Chinese Defence Minister Chang Wanquan and I will discuss new initiatives to enhance dialogue and mutual understanding through regular high-level exchanges," said Dr Ng.

"Singapore would also like to propose more regular and larger joint training exercises to promote confidence building and mutual trust between the PLA and the SAF (Singapore Armed Forces)."

Dr Ng did not elaborate on what the larger joint training exercises would entail, but he added that despite being quite different, China and Singapore both find mutual benefits from cooperating and collaborating.

The Defence Minister also said that from Singapore's perspective, China's growth is important not only so that its own citizens can benefit, but also because it is now an important engine for global growth.

CHINA PLAYS CRUCIAL ROLE IN MAINTAINING REGION'S PEACE

The Defence Minister added, however, that China has a crucial role to play in maintaining peace and stability in the region, as well as globally, and that ongoing disputes in the South and East China Seas could derail Asia's rise.

Dr Ng referred to the recent meeting between China President Xi Jinping and Japan Prime Minister Shinzo Abe at the APEC summit as an important first step to improve tensions between China and Japan. He said: "All countries hope that this will lead on to further concrete measures that will provide assurance of regional stability in Northeast Asia."

The Defence Minister also said that Singapore welcomes China's desire to develop peacefully in the region, and where it can, facilitate China's aspiration through various initiatives.

- CNA/av

12. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Three new malls set to open just in time for the holiday season

Published on Nov 13, 2014 3:37 PM

[​IMG]

The four-storey Seletar Mall, with two basement levels, will be a boon for those living in the Seletar and Sengkang area. -- ST PHOTO: SEAH KWANG PENG

By Marissa Lee

SINGAPORE - Christmas is just over a month away and shoppers will soon get even more choices with these three shopping centres slated to open in the heartlands in the coming weeks.

Here's what they have to offer:

1. Seletar Mall

[​IMG]

The four-storey centre with two basement levels will be a boon for those living in the Seletar and Sengkang area, where there have been no full-size malls to date.

No prizes for guessing that the Shaw Theatres cineplex will likely be a draw, as will the more than 130 brands on offer at the mall.

These include the premium supermarket FairPrice Finest, foodcourt Foodfare, Japanese casual clothing company Uniqlo, ladies-only fitness centre Amore Fitness & Boutique Spa and department store BHG.

Retail space: 188,000 sq ft
    Opens: Nov 28
    Developer: The Seletar Mall, a joint-venture company between Singapore Press Holdings (70 per cent) and United Engineers Limited (30 per cent)
    Selling point: Largest lifestyle hub in the north-east of Singapore

2. Big Box

[​IMG]

Jurong shoppers, who already have plenty of shopping choices, are getting more options in the form of Big Box, which will go up against several malls in the area including IMM, J-Cube with its skating rink and Westgate.

But Big Box has an ace up its sleeve - the eight-storey complex will be a warehouse retail outlet, run by a single retailer (TT International) which can pass cost savings on to shoppers. The three other malls like it - Courts, Ikea and Giant - are all on the eastern part of the island.

Drivers will get to enjoy a drive-through service for goods ordered online, while shoppers on foot will have the convenience of the Jurong East MRT station, which is connected to the complex. House brands include Akira, Mod Living, Castilla, Natural Living and Barang Barang.

Retail space: 400,000 sq ft
    Opens: Before Christmas
    Developer: TT International
    Selling point: Singapore's largest warehouse retail outlet

3. One KM

[​IMG]

The 24-hour supermarket Yokoso at Tanjong Katong Complex, which used to serve residents of the Paya Lebar and Tanjong Katong area, is long gone. But the area will get a new mall later this month with the grand opening of One KM just across from the complex.

Targeted at younger families and the office crowd, tenants include Uniqlo, Esprit, Food Junction, Cold Storage, Popular and Harvey Norman, spread across three storeys and a basement. One KM is also hoping to be a hit with students from the 20 schools within a 2km radius, offering a good mix of tuition and enrichment centres, like dance studios.

Retail space: 204,000 sq ft
    Opens: Nov 30
    Developer: UOL Group
    Selling point: First edutainment mall to tap on large student population

13. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Dolphins frolicking in Singapore's backyard

They are common in the country's southern waters, say NUS marine scientists

Published on Nov 15, 2014 2:01 PM

[​IMG]

Dolphins are regularly spotted in the north-facing bay between St John's and Lazarus islands. Last week, a pod of five pink dolphins was spotted in the area by scientists. -- PHOTO: COURTESY OF CON FOLEY

By David Ee

Arguably the most beloved wildlife species in the world, dolphins can be found not just in Sentosa's theme parks but also off urban Singapore.

Wild dolphins are common in the country's congested southern waters, and have been since ancient times, said marine scientists. The trouble is, hardly anybody else knows they are there.

Their presence has gone almost completely unnoticed by the public, baffling scientists at the National University of Singapore's Tropical Marine Science Institute (TMSI), who are trying to raise people's interest and more funds for their work.

In sightings reported to TMSI, at least 169 dolphins were spotted between 2008 and 2011 in the waters between Singapore and Batam, near St John's Island and Pulau Semakau, and as close to shore as Marina Barrage.

Background story

MARINE MAMMALS IN LOCAL WATERS

SPECIES of dolphins and other marine mammals found in Singapore's waters:

Indo-Pacific humpbacked dolphin, or pink dolphin

Species most commonly seen in Singapore's waters. They are born black, before turning pink as they grow up. Adults are white.

Indo-Pacific bottlenose dolphin

Second most commonly seen species in Singapore's waters. They have a dark grey back with a lighter grey belly.

• Irrawaddy dolphin
    • Finless porpoise
    • Dugong
    To report sightings of dolphins and other marine mammals, visit http://www.tmsi.nus.edu. sg/mmrl/swimms.htm

14. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Fireworks display launches Singapore River's Christmas light-up

Published on Nov 15, 2014 11:58 AM

[​IMG]
    A fireworks display and musical performances helped kick off Singapore River’s annual Christmas light-up festival on Friday. -- PHOTO: SINGAPORE RIVER ONE

[​IMG]

The Methodist Girls’ School String Ensemble performed at the launch. -- PHOTO: SINGAPORE RIVER ONE

[​IMG]

Senior Minister of State for Trade and Industry and National Development Lee Yi Shyan (centre) and Singapore River One chairman Wilson Tan (fourth from left) at the launch. -- PHOTO: SINGAPORE RIVER ONE

[​IMG]

A fireworks display and musical performances helped kick off Singapore River’s annual Christmas light-up festival on Friday. -- PHOTO: SINGAPORE RIVER ONE

[​IMG]

A floating choir performance by Vox Camerata. -- PHOTO: SINGAPORE RIVER ONE

SINGAPORE - A fireworks display and musical performances helped kick off Singapore River's Christmas light-up festival on Friday.

Now in its second year, the Christmas by the River lights festival was launched by guest of honour Senior Minister of State for Trade and Industry and National Development Lee Yi Shyan at a ceremony attended by some 100 guests.

As part of the seven-week festival, 8m-tall LED Christmas tree structures will stand on the banks of the river's three quays - Clarke Quay, Boat Quay and Robertson Quay - and choirs will sing from the river banks to visitors on boats.

Three more fireworks displays will take also place, with the last on Dec 26, and Christmas markets will be held along the River Promenade, in front of Clarke Quay Central, in December.

Mr Wilson Tan, chairman of Singapore River One (SRO), which manages the quays, said at the launch: "There is still much potential that we can develop in the Singapore River precinct. This can be a place where locals will come frequently, a must-visit destination for tourists, and a choice location for investors."

Last year's inaugural Christmas by the River helped bring more visitors to the area, with an SRO survey finding that average numbers went up by about 25 per cent to around 25,000 for the November/December period, compared with six months earlier.

15. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Singapore towns, back in the day

Published on Nov 14, 2014 10:33 PM

[​IMG]

A banner at the entrance to the Kwong Wai Siew Peck San Theng cemetery welcoming then Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew in 1967. -- PHOTO: SINGAPORE KWONG WAI SIEW PECK SAN THENG

• [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]

The temple of the Singapore Kwong Wai Siew Peck San Theng in Bishan. -- PHOTO: ST FILE

http://www.straitstimes.com/sites/straitstimes.com/files/20141114/Emak-Oldtown-81411e.jpg
    113-year old Kwong Wai Siew Peck San Teng cemetery tucked away deep in Kampong San Teng, off Thomson Road. -- PHOTO: ST FILE

http://www.straitstimes.com/sites/straitstimes.com/files/20141114/Emak-Oldtown-121411e_1.jpg
    Bishan swimming pool, Bishan new town. -- PHOTO: ST FILE

http://www.straitstimes.com/sites/straitstimes.com/files/20141114/Emak-Oldtown-21411e_0.jpg
    The low-rise Housing Board flats, with shops at the ground level, at the junction of Siglap Road and East Coast Road, is one of the oldest surviving clusters of HDB flats in Singapore. -- PHOTO: ST FILE

http://www.straitstimes.com/sites/straitstimes.com/files/20141114/Emak-Oldtown-61411e_0.jpg
    A player from Braddell Heights turns away from the action during the inter- constituency volleyball match against Radin Mas held at Bukit Panjang Community Centre. -- PHOTO: ST FILE

http://www.straitstimes.com/sites/straitstimes.com/files/20141114/Emak-Oldtown-101411e.jpg
    Premature arrival of torrential monsoon rains wreaked utter chaos throughout Singapore with roads submerged under metre or more of water. -- PHOTO: ST FILE

http://www.straitstimes.com/sites/straitstimes.com/files/20141114/Emak-Oldtown-131411e.jpg
    Kampong Chai Chee in Singapore on Oct 19, 1953. -- PHOTO: ST FILE

http://www.straitstimes.com/sites/straitstimes.com/files/20141114/Emak-Oldtown-141411e_0.jpg
    Voluntary work for Cik Aishah Ali means having to weigh hundreds of katis of rice at the PAP Kampung Chai Chee branch in Chai Chee Road. -- PHOTO: ST FILE

http://www.straitstimes.com/sites/straitstimes.com/files/20141114/Emak-Oldtown-151411e.jpg
    The new food and market stalls at Chai Chee. -- PHOTO: ST FILE

http://www.straitstimes.com/sites/straitstimes.com/files/20141114/Emak-Oldtown-171411e_0.jpg
    Pedestrians crossing at the junction of Joo Chiat Road and East Coast Road. -- PHOTO: ST FILE

http://www.straitstimes.com/sites/straitstimes.com/files/20141114/Emak-Oldtown-181411e.jpg
    The former Joo Chiat Police Station, which is in an area dotted with historic conservation shophouses, is now occupied by a restaurant and is part of Katong Village, a collection of food and entertainment outlets. -- PHOTO: ST FILE

http://www.straitstimes.com/sites/straitstimes.com/files/20141114/Emak-Oldtown-111411e_0.jpg
    President Yusof bin Ishak, accompanied by his wife, Puan Noor Aishah, toured the Bukit Panjang Constituency. -- PHOTO: ST FILE

http://www.straitstimes.com/sites/straitstimes.com/files/20141114/Emak-Oldtown-191411e.jpg
    An old photograph of students from the Bukit Panjang Government Malay School (1910), is one of the exhibits at the Ministry of Education (MOE) Heritage centre at 402 Commonwealth Drive. -- PHOTO: BERITA HARIAN FILE

http://www.straitstimes.com/sites/straitstimes.com/files/20141114/Emak-Oldtown-71411e.jpg
    Auctioning during the Seventh Month Festival at Bukit Panjang. -- PHOTO: ST FILE

http://www.straitstimes.com/sites/straitstimes.com/files/20141114/Emak-Oldtown-91411e.jpg

Singapore's "Keep Our Water Clean" campaign got off to a good start when 300 young men began a two-day operation to desilt the Sungei Pang Sua in Bukit Panjang. -- PHOTO: ST FILE

http://www.straitstimes.com/sites/straitstimes.com/files/20141114/Emak-Oldtown-161411e_0.jpg
    View from a HDB block near the Bukit Panjang LRT tracks. -- PHOTO: ST FILE

http://www.straitstimes.com/sites/straitstimes.com/files/20141114/Emak-Oldtown-31411e_0.jpg
    Profile stunt-bikers and street bikers in action on a track near the MacDonalds, Bangkit Road. -- PHOTO: ST FILE

http://www.straitstimes.com/sites/straitstimes.com/files/20141114/Emak-Oldtown-41411e.jpg
    Mr Alvin Yapp, 41, lives in The Intan, a post-war terrace house in Joo Chiat that he transformed into a boutique Peranakan museum with artefacts amassed over 20 years. -- PHOTO: ST FILE

http://www.straitstimes.com/sites/straitstimes.com/files/20141114/Emak-Oldtown-201411e_0.jpg
    Mr Alvin Yapp, owner of The Intan Peranakan Private Museum, giving a tour of his home to Japanese visitors. -- PHOTO: ST FILE

By Chew Hui Min

SINGAPORE - Did you know that film-maker Jack Neo grew up in Kampong Chai Chee, or that there were quarries in Bukit Panjang?

Singapore's landscape has evolved constantly in the short 49 years since independence, and the National Heritage Board now wants to collect people's memories for how things were back then.
    The Board is documenting the history of 10 towns, including Chai Chee, Joo Chiat and Bishan. The project for Singapore's golden jubilee in 2015 aims to collect photos, oral histories and stories from residents.

The other towns are Bukit Panjang, Woodlands, Yishun, Geylang Serai, Kembangan, Pasir Ris and Kallang.

Do you have memories of the places where you grew up? We take a look at some of them.

Chai Chee

[​IMG]
    Repairing of roads at Kampong Chai Chee. -- PHOTO: ST FILE

Chai Chee, which means "market place" in Hokkien, has seen its plantations become electronic plants, and attap huts replaced by soaring blocks of flats.

The town in the east began as a kampong set among coconut and banana trees. Development caught up with the villagers in the1970s.

Neo, who has said before that he has fond memories of growing up there, told The New Paper in an interview in 2002: "My old kampong is now an expressway! And where my house used to be, there is now a carpark. There used to be so much space. It's quite sad to see it gone now."

Joo Chiat
    [​IMG]
    Firemen trying to put out a fire which broke out at a shop house in Joo Chiat Road and destroyed it. -- PHOTO: ST FILE

Joo Chiat has retained some of its erstwhile charm, with good food, conservation shophouses and a Peranakan museum.

It is named after plantation owner and philanthropist Chew Joo Chiat, once known as the "King of Katong".

Along the road named after this pioneer, sits the Intan, a private museum run by Peranakan Alvin Yapp. He conducts tours, which have to be booked in advance, which culminate in an authentic Peranakan tea or dinner.

Many authentic Peranakan restaurants can still be found in the area.

Bishan

[​IMG]
    Singapore's biggest and one of the oldest Chinese burial grounds, the 113-year-old Kwong Wai Siew Peck San Teng cemetary, will soon make way for urbanisation like other cemeteries before it. -- PHOTO: ST FILE

Bishan, which can mean "green hills" or "jade hills" in Chinese, is now known for being the home of popular mall Junction 8 and brand-name schools like Raffles Institution, making it one of the most desired HDB towns to live in.

But you don't have to dig deep to uncover its recent past as one of the oldest Chinese burial grounds in Singapore, the Kwong Wai Siew Peck San Teng cemetery.

The main village in the area, Kampong San Theng, was established by immigrants from Canton. It was re-developed in the early 1980s, and the remains from approximately 100,000 graves are now housed at a columbarium.

Bukit Panjang

[​IMG]
    Voters queuing up to cast their votes at the Bukit Panjang School. -- PHOTO: ST FILE

Bukit Panjang is Malay for “a long spread of hills”. It housed manufacturing plants such as the Nanyang Shoe Factory and the Lam Soon Canning and Rubber Factory four decades ago. There were also granite quarries and rubber plantations.

The first batches of locally produced fresh milk and ice cream were made in a 60-acre Cold Storage dairy farm that was set up in 1929. In the 1970s, the farm ceased operations.

It was developed as Zhenghua new town in 1984, and the name was later changed back to Bukit Panjang. Today, it is a thriving HDB town, and was the first new town to get a Light Rail Train (LRT) network.

- See more at: http://www.straitstimes.com/news/si...ns-back-the-day-20141114#sthash.8aBsToCl.dpuf

#8815 Loh, Nov 15, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Other countries seeking closer China ties: Ng Eng Hen

By Jeremy Koh

POSTED: 15 Nov 2014 19:48

Singapore Defence Minister Ng Eng Hen said on Saturday (Nov 15) that while Singapore and China can look to further develop bilateral ties, other countries are doing the same.

[​IMG]

Minister for Defence Ng Eng Hen (C), accompanied by his Chinese counterpart General Chang Wanquan (L), inspects the guard of honour at the Bayi Building. (Photo: MINDEF)

BEIJING: As Singapore and China pledge closer military ties, other ASEAN countries as well as the US will welcome the same, Singapore Defence Minister Ng Eng Hen told the media on Saturday (Nov 15) at the end of his week-long visit to China.

On Friday, Singapore and Beijing announced that they would step up defence cooperation, after a meeting between Singapore Defence Minister Ng Eng Hen and his Chinese counterpart, General Chang Wanquan. Besides having more joint war games, the two sides will also collaborate on counter terrorism and maritime exercises, among other things.

"I shared with him Singapore's experience with the Jemaah Islamiyah terror cell and the fact that we announced that we are going to contribute to the anti-ISIS efforts. He was very interested in our work experiences," said Dr Ng. "As you know China has its own issues with terrorism, so this is one area where we feel the exchange of information and expertise will be helpful."

Dr Ng said that with Singapore and China celebrating their 25th anniversary of diplomatic relations next year, it offers an opportunity to further develop bilateral defence ties. But he added that other countries are also doing the same.

"If you look at the latest APEC statements, developments in APEC as well as ASEAN-China informal meeting now in Myanmar, what's happening is that other countries are also seeking closer ties with China," said Dr Ng.

Turning to tensions in the South China Sea, Dr Ng said Beijing's offer to host an informal defence ministers' conference with all ASEAN countries next year is a positive step. "It's not an issue that requires a military solution," he said. "It should never require a military solution and in fact the military should stay as far away as possible from this and allow diplomatic and other aspects of resolution."

He added that if a legally binding code of conduct for the South China Sea is implemented, it will be a very productive step forward.

- CNA/ec

17. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Singapore and China to deepen military ties

By Jeremy Koh

POSTED: 14 Nov 2014 21:23

Joint training exercises between the two armed forces will be expanded in scope and frequency. Both countries will also engage in areas such as counter-terrorism cooperation.

[​IMG]

Minister for Defence Dr Ng Eng Hen (second from left) meeting with General Chang Wanquan (third from right). (Photo: MINDEF)

BEIJING: Singapore and China have agreed to expand and deepen military ties after an hour-long meeting between Singapore Defence Minister Ng Eng Hen and his Chinese counterpart Chang Wanquan in Beijing on Friday (Nov 14).

Joint training exercises between the two armed forces will be expanded in scope and frequency. Both countries will also engage in areas such as counter-terrorism cooperation.

Singapore and China agreed on four key points in the meeting. They agreed that mutual respect and trust would lead to a strengthening of their defence relationship.

In addition, by conducting regular high-level meetings, both sides would enhance dialogue and mutual understanding. Finally, joint training exercises and regular dialogues would benefit both sides by deepening people-to-people ties and friendship between the two countries.

Dr Ng said: "First of all, it is not usual for them to have joint press releases, so they must have found it sufficiently comfortable in the relationship to have that. Two, to agree substantively on the four-point consensus is again a reflection of the confidence and goodwill the both sides have for each other."

As part of efforts to enhance the relationship, Singapore and China will increase the scope and frequency of joint training exercises. Both sides will also give each other support in regional security affairs.

This is in the hope that the defence relationship between China and Singapore will continue to grow to promote regional peace and stability.

- CNA/dl

18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Street dance steps up in Singapore

By Chan Luo Er

POSTED: 17 Nov 2014 21:51

There is now a street dance club in every tertiary institution here, each averaging nearly 200 members. The genre is also getting more funding support.

[​IMG]

NRA Legacy beat 15 international rivals at the World Supremacy Battlegrounds competition in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo: @nralegacy/Instagram)

SINGAPORE: Street dance has moved off the streets in Singapore, into mainstream schools and even onto the global stage.

There is now a street dance club in every tertiary institution here, each averaging nearly 200 members. One such student group is SIREN, which made its presence felt this year at the Gatsby Dance Competition. For this top Asian street dance event, SIREN finished second in an eight-strong field in Japan.

Another student group, NRA Legacy, beat 15 international rivals at the World Supremacy Battlegrounds competition in Melbourne, Australia - emerging champions in one division.

Ms Gladys Lim, a member of NRA Legacy, recalled: "When the Singapore team was being announced, we screamed and jumped around everywhere. It was extremely surreal, very overwhelming."

NRA Legacy is a team from the street dance club at Ngee Ann Polytechnic. The club was formed in the year 2000, with just eight members. Today, it has 200 members - whittled down from many more who audition.

Street dance is also seeing growing support. For example, 90 per cent of NRA Legacy's expenses for the trip to Melbourne came from a National Arts Council (NAC) grant.

Actual figures are not available, but NAC says funding for street dance has been increasing. Mr Kenneth Kwok, Director for Arts and Youth at NAC, explained: "Every year we do a review on what art forms we see a lot of interest in, and where there are gaps where our funding can make a difference. With street dance and such art forms, we find they tend to attract young people as well, not exclusively. Therefore, funding does make a difference because if you are a young person or young group, then funding is what you need to get you started."

Such support enables such groups to focus more on training. The close-knit dance community here is also stepping up to help itself. It started a web collective called DanceLah to share dancers' news and achievements, and - in their own words - show the world that "Singapore can dance, lah!"

"When young people initiate something, I think that is always the surest sign that it is real and tangible and that people are passionate about it," said Mr Kwok. "And when our artistes go overseas, that is something we can all take pride in, especially when they do so well in competitions. It also helps to change the conversation about what Singapore is as a country internationally.

"We have so many talented people who are free-spirited and go-getters and very dynamic. And I don't know whether or not, internationally, that is how Singapore is seen, so it's great when our Singaporean artistes get out to show the world what we are capable of, in many different fields and not just in the conventional fields of industry and business."

Another way street dance is changing perceptions of Singapore is through a non-profit event called Swaggout. This was started by a group of dancers to bring renowned international choreographers to Singapore to conduct dance workshops.

Swaggout has attracted dancers from around the region. Australian participant Shawn Liow said: "We flew from Australia just to take these classes and do the show. You get a lot of opportunities here that we don't get. The dance scene is so much better as well, people are so passionate."

- CNA/xy

19. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    HDB wins international award for Punggol Master Plan

POSTED: 17 Nov 2014 15:43

The 2014 Excellence on the Waterfront Awards is the first time the Punggol Master Plan has been honoured with an international accolade, says the Housing and Development Board.

[​IMG]

Artist's impression of Punggol Northshore. (Illustration: HDB)

SINGAPORE: The Housing and Development Board (HDB) was honoured with the 2014 Excellence on the Waterfront Awards for its work in transforming Punggol into a sustainable waterfront town.

This is the first time the Punggol Master Plan has been honoured with an international accolade, HDB said in a press release on Monday (Nov 17). HDB was recognised with the award at a ceremony at the Waterfront Centre 2014 Conference in Washington DC on Nov 8.

The Excellence on the Waterfront Awards is given out by the Waterfront Centre in recognition of top quality design and development work on waterfronts. Entries were received and judged in four categories: Projects, Plans, Student and Clearwater, Eleven were ultimately honoured with awards; HDB was one of two recipients for the Honour Award in the Plans category.

Said HDB CEO Cheong Koon Hean: "It is a privilege for us to be recognised on the global stage with this award. HDB will continue to apply our knowledge of sustainable urban planning as a guiding principle for other HDB towns."

- CNA/kk

20. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Marina South Pier Station to open this Sunday

POSTED: 17 Nov 2014 15:14

The newest station on the North-South Line will serve Marina Bay Cruise Centre Singapore, Marina South Pier, as well as future developments in the Marina Bay Downtown area, according to the Land Transport Authority.

[​IMG]

The Marina South Pier Station is the latest addition to the North-South Line. (Photo: LTA/Facebook)

SINGAPORE: The Marina South Pier Station - the latest addition to the North-South Line (NSL) - will open its doors to passengers this Sunday (Nov 23).

The Land Transport Authority (LTA) said on Monday (Nov 17) that the station will serve the Marina Bay Cruise Centre Singapore, Marina South Pier, as well as future developments in the Marina Bay Downtown area. It will benefit cruise passengers travelling to and from the cruise centre in particular, it added.

Trains to the Marina South Pier Station will run at approximately eight- to 12-minute intervals during the morning peak hours from 7.30am to 9.30am, which works out to one in every four southbound trains proceeding to the station from Marina Bay Station. The intervals will stretch to 15 minutes per train at all other hours, LTA said.

The agency will work with SMRT to improve train frequencies at times when the Marina South Pier station receives more passengers, such as when cruise ships call at the cruise centre during off-peak periods or during the annual Kusu pilgrimage season.

The Marina South Pier station is a 1-kilometre-long extension of the existing North-South Line that runs southwards after the Marina Bay station into the Marina South area. Construction of the station started in 2009 and was completed this year.

- CNA/kk