Shuttle stuck on the net tape

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by decrepit, Sep 4, 2019.

1. decrepit

decrepit Regular Member

Last night I just encountered an uncommon situation. We were playing MD and in the rally, our team hit the shuttle, it stuck in the white tape of the net (not in the net) and didn't drop down to the floor :eek:, with the shuttle cork base leaned towards our side.

4 of us were both confused which side should be given to the point to, so we decided to give point to our opponent, as we assumed that we had finished hitting but the shuttle didn't touch the floor or any of the opponent's body during its flight.

I remember there's a clip on Youtube for this circumstance, but cannot find it for reference at this moment. I'm so grateful if anyone can help me to clarify this confusion. :oops:

2. Marlboro

Marlboro Regular Member

Its called a "Let" means replay

Clay-more, stradrider and decrepit like this.
  3. phihag

phihag Regular Member

@Marlboro is correct; this is a let:
    Only if the shuttle is caught on your side, it would be a fault per §13.3.2.

stradrider and decrepit like this.
  4. decrepit

decrepit Regular Member

Much appreciated all your kind replies :D

5. stradrider

stradrider Regular Member

Note that it is only a "let" after service has been returned but it is a "fault" during the service (to the serving side):

LenaicM, decrepit and phihag like this.
  6. psyclops

psyclops Regular Member

Apparently, sticking the shuttle on the net requires a special skill. Without going much into the aerodynamics of the asymmetric projectiles and stuff, have a look at this clip from Mens singles final from the recently concluded Dutch Open - http://bit.ly/2MDXIWZ

The umpire can be heard to say 'Let' albeit softly and belatedly and at least couple three times; nonetheless, a correct decision in terms of applying the current laws.

phihag and stradrider like this.