Shuttle hit net post then over to the opponent side of the court inside

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by CRZ-ZF1, Jun 3, 2019.

1. CRZ-ZF1

CRZ-ZF1 Regular Member

I got in to a situation in an recreational game where my partner hit the shuttle. Then the shuttle hit the edge of the net post causing it roll over to the opponent side of the court on the net, then landed inside of my opponent's side of court.

The outer edge of the net post is tuck right against the outer edge of the double court boundary white line
    0|--------NET-------|0

In an official tournament, would this be call out or in?

My opponent claim since the pole is outside the the court, then the shuttle is out. But how is this different than the shuttle roll on the net, then hit the pole then landed on your opponent side?

Any expert advice are welcome.

2. phihag

phihag Regular Member

First of all, the call that would cause you to lose the rally would be Fault, not Out. In other words, the line judge would always show In, unless the umpire called Fault. The relevant rule is:

The term court and positioning of the poles is defined in rule 1:
    Competition poles are the size of the doubles line (40mm), so they are within the court.

Therefore, the shuttle is In; you win the rally.

It would be a fault if the shuttle hits a part of the pole outside the court, or the whole pole is outside of the court (e.g. when a hall has only one pole in the middle between two courts).

3. CRZ-ZF1

CRZ-ZF1 Regular Member

Thanks for the clear response. Then I guess based on the way the pole base is set up at my club, it would be a fault call, since I was playing a double game

The proper way to set up the pole is that it must be sitting on top of the double side lines.

How about in single game, would it be a call by the line judge when the shuttle appear to spin/roll along the net white tape between the single & double sideline?

4. phihag

phihag Regular Member

No, the rules just define one court, to be used both for singles and doubles. Of course, if the shuttle drops straight down from the pole, it's likely going to be Out (decided by line judge) in singles. But if the shuttle tumbles to the singles sideline after hitting the pole, it's In.

Thankfully so, because otherwise it would be extremely hard to judge for umpires, especially since there are no markings on top of the tape.

5. whatsthecallUmp

whatsthecallUmp Regular Member

You raise points in a game that are fascinating about court equipment, and more specifically, the net posts.

Recreational game, this is not.
    Another is, is the net post as currently configured, considered as in the court?
    Or is the net post outside the court?
    And yet another is, is the net post considered other structure or obstruction?
    The outcome will be based directly on the answer to the questions above.

The following is based on the assumption that what you are describing initially as net post and then pole, is one and the same, and that this pole is same height as the post, that is, nothing protruding above the net height.

If you consider the first instance, then the situation you described will result in shuttle landing in the opponent court without any fault. Tucked right against the outer edge is inside the court. You do not need to bring in a plumb line to resolve this, you either consider as if the post is resting on the line, or the post is outside the court. The house rules notwithstanding, you can shake hands on this prior to starting your recreational game.

The reverse will be applicable to the second instance.

To apply the laws, the court equipment must conform. In your case, this is not; to apply the laws, it needs to be on the doubles line, and not extend into the court beyond the sideline. The law is not clear on how much outside the court the net post can be, only that it remained vertical when strained by the net.

As the laws cannot be applied as written, we could seek relief by other means. There is a clause about structure of building and the powers of the local authority. This is a good alternative to explore. This is where you find and give the building captain, an unopened shuttle tube, and ask a simple question. Is the net post part of court, or is it another structure? If another structure, how do we rule? Play let the first time, and then fault subsequently? Well, a few simple questions.

Or practice more with your partner to avoid your partner hitting shots like that!!

I actually thank your jedi partner who can make the shuttle do all sorts of magic, and then you for including this situation, as it gave me another opportunity to read up the specific clauses in the lawbook.

You asked in an official tournament, what is outcome. The answer will be what you decided on where the net post was.

There is another thread where it is seen that the net posts are wider than the sideline, so extend beyond the sideline. Find the videos from Dutch Open for the past couple three years. As it is considered court equipment, shuttle hitting the edge of the post above the net and rolling over and falling inside the court is rally awarded to hitter.[​IMG]

#5 whatsthecallUmp, Jun 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2019