Shoulder pain while smashing

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by Ketan Patil, Dec 13, 2020.

1. Ketan Patil

Ketan Patil Regular Member

I recently resumed playing badminton again after 8 months in lockdown. I expected that my level would drop, but now I'm somewhat getting into the game back. Before lockdown, when I would smash, it would be fast and where I wanted it to be. But now, when I try to smash, I don't know why, my shoulder hurts a lot, like my bone is rubbing against another bone or joint. Just like sometimes when you move your limbs they make a sound s of they are going to snap. But this was a bit more painful. Maybe the problem is with my form, I'm going to record myself smashing today and check it. Yesterday after playing, when I just moved my arm in the position we take before smashing, it felt like there is some obstacle or something which is preventing my arm from moving smoothly and causing pain. And when I swung my arm slowly from that position, I felt a small pain there. Could anyone tell me what's happening and what I should do?

2. intrepid

intrepid Regular Member

Are you doing a lot of office work? The shoulder might be too much in front then, leading to impingement during the rotation.
    One tip is to focus on having the shoulder down and back during hitting (which is contrary to "hit it as high as possible"), but this helped me immediately.
    For fixing the problem in the long-term you can do exercises for the shoulder and the upper back.
    I went to a physiotherapist, and his exercises were quite similar to this badminton-specific video:

visor and Ketan Patil like this.
  3. Budi

Budi Regular Member

For 8 month break, you need to start easy games. Dont think you can go 100% instantly.
    After 8 month your body might forgot how to hit properly while (if you keep training at home) your muscle strength might still the same or even stronger. So you might do a bad swing with powerfull strength which makes you feel pain.
    Play slow games while regain your old 100% & see if you still get some pain.

Ketan Patil likes this.
  4. Ketan Patil

Actually I'm just 16:D
    I'll try it today, thanks!:)

5. Ketan Patil

I knew that when I started, but I couldn't think of anything other then getting the chance to play again.:D
    Now for a few days, I'll play lighter games and smash occasionally to check how it's going.
    Thanks!:)

6. BadmintonJustin

BadmintonJustin New Member

If you feel a feeling like a bone rubbing against another bone in your shoulder, one of your tendons may be inflamed and that's what is causing the friction or there could be some impingement (pinching) in your shoulder. I had a similar injury last year. You can do some self tests by following this video here:

Though the best thing you can do is see a physical therapist so they can help diagnose you and give you exact treatment plans. Feel better!

Ketan Patil likes this.
  7. Kikuhito Senshi

Kikuhito Senshi Regular Member

project manager
    The shoulder is the most complicated joint in the body with the greatest range of movement. Firstly it should always be warmed up. Secondly, if the body senses there might be something wrong with the joint all the muscles, tendons and ligaments will tighten up to try and limit range of movement and this in itself can cause pain. One of the best exercises for the shoulder in these situations is what is known as shoulder pendulum exercises, or also known as Codman's Exercise. It helps to gently pull on all the muscles and tendons of the shoulder in a gentle way, opening up the shoulder joint.

Ketan Patil likes this.
  8. lysagrey

lysagrey New Member

Well pretty much everything has been said. Take it easy, do a lot of physical and make sure that if there is some inflammation you get it treated. I had a shoulder injury that I did not threat in time and it resulted in something really nasty.
    I am currently fighting a chronic pain condition that ended my career in badminton and it is not the easiest thing to go through life with a constant pain in your shoulder. I have been to many physical therapists and through many therapies. I have been on different medications but most of them have just made me feel extremely unfocused when administered in a dose that allows me to live pain free. I was feeling depressed because it's so hard to actually live every day and wake up with pain and to know that there is nothing you can do that will allow you to get rid of it.
    I had no idea what to do and then my doctors suggested I try kratom.I was skeptical and I sure as hell did not want to smoke kratom but my doctor suggested I try kratom capsules. They are not as potent and not as fun as the leaves but my doctor assured me everything will be fine. I have been taking it for a while. It does help a lot. I am still in pain but at least I am lucid an it does make me a lot more productive. I am hoping my story will be helpful

#8 lysagrey, Jan 8, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    Ketan Patil likes this.
  9. Ketan Patil

Thank you everyone, now my shoulder is alright.

intrepid likes this.
  10. saleh

saleh New Member

i have this pain Exactly Someone can help me?

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Sure.

Read the above advice given by other people and try follow that.

12. Juraf51

Juraf51 New Member

It's a rather delicate position, but you have to do it well if you want to feel better, don't you?