Shoulder impingement syndrome: everything you want to know about it

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by visor, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Makkem_1

Makkem_1 Regular Member

I've got this as well, and i can't play properly because of it.
    Being as i was predominantly a singles player, with a game based around netshot, smash and accurate clears, who used head-heavy rackets with a long grip (voltric z-force 2). I've tried to play twice in the last 2 years. Couldn't hit a clear or smash that didn't hurt and worse, it doesn't feel right anymore, like my swing is compromised. Which I guess it is. I've slowly gone through my action and my arm won't go back far as i'd like or impart that elastic snap. (affects timing?) Also its trying to drag away from my body which compromises both power and accuracy.
    I miss playing, and I suspect its never going to be possible to play like before. I'm actually wondering if i can completely rework my technique and play style to compensate. ie if I improve my wrist strength by a crazy amount maybe? Seems like indonesian pros like Taufik can generate a lot of power even in disadvantageous positions where they can't get their arm and body behind the shot: that has to be wrist?

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Try lower tension by 1-2 lbs first. Easier than trying to adapt to a racket with different shaft stiffness.

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

Zalmon likes this.
  3. visor

visor Regular Member

If you haven't played for such a long time, make sure you take some sessions to retrain your strokes and footwork before playing games.

And Taufik generates power easily due simply to perfect technique. That is, his whipping action is an impeccable embodiment of the kinetic chain.

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

4. Zalmon

Zalmon Regular Member

Since the incident I changed my string to a thinner like .61 aerosonic string with only 26 lbs. but, this pain isnt same as the first time. The first time when I got it I couldnt play any overhead shot without pain. I couldnt clear or smash. Backhand is even worse. Now , I can do all that except the full smash , and it feels like that I have a weak shoulder.it is really weird feeling since I could perform 35lbs easily with dumbbells overhead press (currently I stopped do any push work out with weight since It might trigger the pain)