Should there be a time limit for serving?

Discussion in 'Continental Championships 2008' started by pjswift, Apr 18, 2008.

1. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

I'm not bothered about CJ's gestures but more about how long he took to serve.The time he took to serve to WCH required WCH to get ready 3 times!CJ's unusual habit was first noted and commented on by Morten Frost in AE MSSF vs LCW. CJ is Badminton's Nadal! Nadal used to preen before he served and that made his opponents lost patience so a complaint was filed and tennis then impose a time limit for serve.Ever since Nadal lost his 'freedom to preen', it seems he has not been winning much.
    Would anyone volunteer to research whether there's a significant change in CJ's serve ritual,resulting in serve suspense to his opponent?It's unique in MS serve time.
    And mods, pls let this thread stay here for some time before moving it to GF and oblivion.It has relevance to this tournament.

2. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

Maybe CJ is a little slow on that part (I don't have any facts on this yet), but if he always does this way, it should be okay. I saw on video that BCL often walked around in a big loop before going into position. He must be trying to do some thinking, especially when he lost a point.

It's hard to say it's an advantage to one side or the other. But if I was WCH, who knew the pace of JC's service, I would just take a little time myself to relax and set it up mentally, even creat a little slowness myself. If it took CJ 8'' to be ready after each point, I'd be back at the line at 7'' and hold my hand up until I'm ready. Nothing held back WCH to adjust, instead of standing there and waiting and waiting as you have suggested (I haven't seen the whole match to comment on what each did).

One observation, it seemed to me that the one who wins points, but doing it in a hard fought way, often slows down in between to regain the energy level spent for previous point(s).

3. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Also, there is a rule in tennis since I have been playing. During a game, there is 25 sec between points. First time is warning. Second time is a lost of point. It is emp's decision to call it or not.

4. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    i agree...maybe 10 second will do

5. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

its also the same with china MD cai yun..
    the time he serve is very long and i oso lost patient..:(

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    wahhhhh, u got to play with cai yun before..:eek: