Should I increase my tension?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by wengheng, Oct 24, 2020.

1. wengheng

wengheng New Member

I usually use BG66UM at 26lbs, but have been trying out various other strings lately. With gradual improvement in technique and strength, should I increase my tension?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. badmintonpog1

badmintonpog1 Regular Member

Wannabe
    Thats for you to decide. If you do, know that you gain and lose at the same time

If you increase it you have more control for the net and more precise shots.

Downside of increasing your tension is harder to smash (?) and higher percentage of your strings breaking. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

michael5098 and wengheng like this.
  3. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I personally found for me the rule of thumb to increase tension only when I'm are able hit long on backhand clear in trouble. And even when this happens, even if anybody improve, become stronger and develop a better technique, everybody has a tension where to stop. Not everyone will increase tension continous and end at 36lbs, just because he improve continous.

The myth of more control due higher tension still stands, but only if you are able to continous hit the specific effective area. Never forget that the sweet spot becomes smaller and if you are not able to hit it everytime right, increasing tension is more harm than good.

I personally came to the conclusion that control is nothing only equipment related. If the shuttle bounce too much at the net a string with less repulsion can also help, it can help to work on the technique at the net, the touch and also the loseness of your fingers, relaxed arm musles for delicate shots.

If you are not able to opt your swing and face the racket head into the direction your shot should should go, a higher tension don't help here and don't correct anything.

As grandmaster panda @DinkAlot always said "play with the lowest tension which you can accept." There is so much truth in it. It will always support you on off days, shots under pressure, shots when you are late, when you are tired, when it is cold.

I made the mistake some years ago to play by the guideline "play with the highest tension you can accept" and had a much higher mishit and error rates. Since I found the lowest tension I can accept, I have close to none mishits and even a hard push to the backhand corner in doubles give me in trouble enough options to hit to opponents whole court.

4. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Before i hit 26lbs, i do alot of tension change to find my ideal tension & 26lbs are what im enjoying the most.
    Long ago i try mu friend VT1DG strung above 30lbs. I play few games with it, tho i could still handle the power loss & still maintain OK hit consistency (tho still more error than my usual racket & tension), but i just hate the feeling hitting with frying pan & im not pro or entering big tournament, so why bother tiring myself with those high tension & i definitely dont need a hawkeye accuracy shot.
    Last time i increase my tension to 27 is just to kill little bouncy on the stringbed on net play.
    So for you to increase tension or not? Try it & feel it, if you enjoy it then keep it. But just keep in mind nothing better or worst having high tension or low tension. Both had their own good & bad, also each person depend on their physical strength & feeling had their own enjoyable tension.