Should I focus on fat loss or strength gain in my training?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by precrime3, Mar 22, 2021.

1. baddiechan

baddiechan Regular Member

Good hustle, I like that you use the overhead stroke for the rear court backhand side most of the time.

Agree with both points, sometimes your serve is also a fault because you are touching the boundary lines.
    • You stand too far in front, your base position should be more like just behind the white line. At 0:59 you get caught out because you're not behind the shuttle, taking it side on and too low. Other times it's an issue is 2:08, 3:23 and 4:35.
    • Your footwork is okay, if opponent was hitting full court then it needs to be faster.
    • I'm not good at identifying if someone is using panhandle but I think so since your lift is short. To help this you can also follow through like you do on high serve. Short lifts are also making it easy for the opponent to smash.

Yuta Watanabe is 167cm (5'6") and weighs 56kg (123lbs) and Hiroyuki Endo is 172cm tall and 72kg. The reason I thought you are around 20%+ is because your BMI is technically overweight, no offence intended I'm just using the standard reference ranges. However if you consider doubles they tend not to be as lean with a greater variety of body types, just aim for something you feel healthy at. If you find that trying to lose fat is leading to decreased energy for badminton training then it isn't worth it, however it's really simple to do just by eating less and continuing to exercise.

#21 baddiechan, Mar 24, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    dnewguy, Fidget and Cheung like this.
  2. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    I see. Yeah it wasn't a really serious game, I'll try to record one with more conventional serves as I don't usually high serve like that.

I'll also try to play when I'm fresh and not after working out prior to show me at my best,

As for weight, I've been down to as low as 74.5, just last year before corona. My milestones are:

If I get anything below 70 I'll reevaluate how I feel energy-wise and feel wise then I'll probably consult with a coach.

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    How about thinking first, consideration then question? LOL

Mason and khoai like this.
  4. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

I admire your drive and determination to become your best at badminton. :)

Having no credentials to comment on your training, I will only parrot the idea, already broached, that it is best not to get hung up on on very specific targets for weight and BMI... and especially important not to compare your weight with anyone else.
    Yuta Watanabe, Kento Momota, etc., have their own body geometry and metabolism. And you have yours.
    Sounds like you already have an idea of the past weight range you felt best at. That’s the only reference that matters.

Have a great time in Malaysia...... “Alabama, boleh!” :cool:

5. benedefy

benedefy New Member

Building muscle should be your main focus as it increases your metabolism and makes losing fat easier. If you want to lose fat first to improve your body composition, you'll need to strength train and up your protein intake to minimize the amount of muscle you lose, too