Should China send LD to Rio in 2016?

Discussion in 'World Championships 2015' started by galaxyduo, Aug 14, 2015.

1. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

So is this the end of the road for LD? Ever since his win over Chen Long at the Asia games, LD's play has dropped off a cliff. It's fine if he loses to JoJ, but the way he lost really shows LD is pretty far from the top level of play. The most ironic part of LD's loss is that LCW has yet to beat LD at a major tournament (except for AE) and if they don't meet at Rio, LCW will never have beaten LD at a major tournament. Of course, I'm not sure LD intended to keep a clean record against LCW by losing to JoJ.

In fact, I could almost see the outcome of this WC happening for LD. Another WC win for LD means very little as he has won so many already. And LD has been losing all year - he has been getting beat at every SS. I don't even know why people are shocked at LD's loss. It's not surprising if you've watched LD's performance all year long.

If I'm LYB now, and there is another Chinese youngster than can win a few SS leading up to the Olympics, I would seriously consider replacing LD with said youngster. This is no different than giving Li Xuerui a chance at the 2012 Olympics.

Because a year from now in Rio, I don't think LD will be very competitive. While I understand LD is old now, he is still one year younger than LCW and several years younger than Peter Gade at the last Olympics so IMO, it's a matter of motivation for LD. I doubt it is LD's injury from last year either as he has had plenty of time to recover from that. I think LD is simply not motivated anymore and he is just there to collect his sponsorship pay from Yonex. Sadly, I doubt LD is really that motivated to win a 3rd gold medal at the Olympics.

#1 galaxyduo, Aug 14, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  2. syntaxerror

syntaxerror Regular Member

Who would you replace him with?

The only other player really in contention is Wang Zhengming, and Lin Dan probably has a better chance at winning even if he's not in form.

3. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Yonex got screwed by LD big time.

4. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    Hope Yonex president gives LD a scolding to motivate him.

5. g3rryok

g3rryok Regular Member

maybe it's time for LYB giving chance to Lin Gui Pu or Shi Yuqi

6. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

For sure...

7. racketman123

racketman123 Regular Member

Dentist in training...
    I'm sure Tian Houwei and Xue Song would benefit from a bit more exposure at top tournaments. I'm not sure they'd qualify for the 2016 Olympics but they both have potential.

8. arjevo

arjevo Regular Member

student
    i don't think tian houwei and xue song have yet reached that level that china will send one of those instead of lin dan. .wang zhengming doesn't look good either so chen long and lin dan are the best bets for china as far as men's singles is concerned.

9. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    If LD is not going to Rio, Yonex will be even more upset. I wish LD's contract with Yonex has some term to pay him based on his performance.

10. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

They should definitely send him. After Chen, Lin will get further than anybody else they've got in the pipe.

And for senimental reasons - he's the defending champ:).

11. kelana

kelana Regular Member

globalresearch.ca
    Or clearly show him a couple of extra million bucks on the table from now on... a firm pledge for a significant sum of bucks for each Oly medal yet with significant gap for each color as to drive him a new mountain high motivation to chase the golden one... ha ha, it's pretty tough to move on someone who already achieved so many :D

If Yonex won't do it perhaps some billionaire will answer this call ;)

Seriously if CHN can afford to send two MS to Rio, I wish that it's the other player for the 2nd spot i/o LD... WZM comes into the sight.

#11 kelana, Aug 15, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  12. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Maybe winning an Olympic gold using Victor Racket may motivate LD since he already won it using Yonex and Li-ning.

13. racketman123

racketman123 Regular Member

Dentist in training...
    I though he was still at yonex in 2008.

14. jkkwongnz

jkkwongnz Regular Member

doctor
    In my opinion, LD is still the second best in China this year and is very likely so next year. So, I have no doubt that LD will be at Rio next year unless he get injured. The more interesting question is whether he is still motivated to work hard to collect the third Olympics Gold medal. The performance of LD in this world championship reflected his current effort in training. One of the important lessions LD learnt this year (I think) was that He couldn't win a title with his current games plan (use control techniques without pace injection and big smash). I have watched a few of his games in this tournament. It is not what I expect from LD. The game was sluggish and slow, lack of accuracy, no lethal smash from the back. From recent tournaments, stamina could also be a problem when there were a thrid games. Honestly, I would say it is less than 50% of what he would be capable of. IF he is serious about RIO, he should put more effort and more concentrate in training for one more year. I understand it is hard for him at his current age but it is doable.

#14 jkkwongnz, Aug 15, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  15. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    Question : Why Lee Chong wei can play better against Jorgensen and not Lin Dan . Lin dan level is lower than Lee Chong Wei ?

16. kelana

kelana Regular Member

globalresearch.ca
    I guess the answer is quite obvious: Lee Chong Wei lives a much more spartan life (read: trains much harder) and still has big ambitions to fill up those major voids before he quits... things that Lin Dan lacks of after his WC comeback in 2013.

17. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

Obviously LD is playing at a lower level than LCW. Do you even have to ask such a question?

For LD who has won 5 WC already, and LCW who has won 0 WC, it's obvious who is more motivated to win a WC and who is not.