Should Badminton be staged at Wembley for the 2012 Olympics in London?

Discussion in 'Olympics LONDON 2012' started by chris-ccc, Nov 26, 2009.

?

Should badminton stage at Wembley?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Is Wembley ready for 2012 Olympics Badminton?

So, we are only 3 days away from our first 2012 Olympics Badminton matches at this Wembley Arena.

Is Wembley Arena ready? The answer is Yes.

Here is a photo taken with players (who have arrived at London) checking out the venue.

Attached Files:

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    from the photo, it will be typical AE style. brightly lit court area and dark in the stands. i also agree that it is better to have everything more lit. however, i am afraid that since this is a really old stadium, the rest of the stadium might not look as nice.

this is kinda sad really, as many of the olympics really do have their own character, this one aside from the hideous looking pink/purple background, the rest might just look like just another superseries. let's hope that they will pull something unique out the hat and prove me wrong.

3. madbad

madbad Regular Member

I was just about to comment on the overuse of the garish pink/magenta motifs. What an eyesore. :cool:

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i am starting to wonder what the other arena looks like. imagine a pink swimming pool?

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    WTF. i found some photos online and they use a blue motif for the swimming venue. why do they have to put this ugly purple on badminton?

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    ok. at least gymnastics will share the same eyesore as us.

7. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

Not the real gymnastics. Just the girly girly variety for which pink is perfect.

The WC set up was just fine. Wonder if the double decker bus is still there.

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    regular gymnastics already have their arena setup. and it has the same color.

rhythmic gymnastics will share the same venue as badminton and will likely get their pink treatment also.

3588d1342827065-purple-gymnastics-venue-purple-olympic-gym.jpg

9. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

We cannot escape from this colour

:D:D:D We cannot escape from this colour. It is the official colour for this Olympics.

10. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Guess what Li Yongbo said about the pink court

Guess what Li Yongbo said about the pink court. :D:D:D

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/china/2012-07/25/c_131736560.htm

Chinese badminton head coach: Pink court in Wembly a venue better for romance

LONDON, July 24 (Xinhua) -- The pink color of badminton court in Wembly arena gave people a sense of warmth and romance, which is better for falling in love, said Chinese badminton head coach Li Yongbo on Tuesday.

Pink is the Olympic color in London. It is also color of the periphery of three separate palegreen courts.

"It is quite special," he said. "Normally the colors of badminton court are green, gray or blue, and this time you need a couple of days to get used to the change."

He noted that pink was a color of romance, where players were likely to lose their sense of competitiveness. "But it is fair anyway as every shuttler needs to face it, just a test of your adaptability."

The 50-year-old Li, previously a veteran shuttler himself, has been coaching the Chinese badminton team for nearly two decades.

"I am personally quite familiar with this arena, where I had been playing during the All-England Open Badminton Championships when I was young," he said. "But the Olympics is a different issue. The illumination, the size and the air of the arena are more favorable."

The Chinese badminton team arrived in London Monday afternoon. They appeared in the Wembly arena Tuesday morning for a short training session, each player about 40 minutes. Defending Olympic champion Lin Dan played with his teammate Chen Long till the end.

According to the draw, Lin, now the world's No.1, might have an early encounter with Indonisian prodigy Taufik Hidayat if both fare well.

Talking about Lin, the head coach believed that he would have a hard time and need to concentrate. There had been speculation that Lin was likely to carry the Chinese national flag at the opening ceremony.

"I don't want him to do that," Li said. "He will have to play the next day and should have a good rest. By the way, nobody informed us about that (his carrying the flag)."

The Chinese badminton team are not living in the Olympic village, which, in the east part of London, is far from the Wembly arena.

"I like this arrangement, as players would feel like this is an ordinary event other than the Olympics, so as not to get nervous," Li said.

When asked about his plan before the competitions, Li replied in the simplest way. "Eat well, and sleep well, so as to achieve satisfactory result."