Shirt Name Printing - Font & Dimensions

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by holhm22, Mar 19, 2015.

1. holhm22

holhm22 Regular Member

Student
    I know this has already been discussed and there are already threads for this, but they have been inactive for some time so I don't expect a reply from them.

So in international standards, what are the dimensions for the text for both your name and country? And also what font is used for the name printing? I can't find it. And if possible I would like the dimensions of the Yonex logo on the back too.

Here's what I'm talking about: [​IMG]

2. jerby

jerby Regular Member

Hey there,
    I got this from BWF

22. LETTERING ON PLAYERS’ CLOTHING
    22.1 In all sanctioned tournaments, including those organised by the BWF itself, and Multi-sport
    games, each article of clothing may only have visible lettering as provided in Regulations 22.2 to
    22.2 Colour, style and height of lettering
    22.2.1 Lettering shall be in capital letters in the Roman alphabet (except as in Regulation
    22.5.2), and in one single colour contrasting with that of the shirt.
    22.2.2 If there is a pattern on the back of the shirt, the lettering should be on a contrasting panel.
    22.2.3 In order that the player’s name be legible from a distance for spectators in the stadium
    and television viewers, lettering must be a minimum height of 6 centimetres and a
    maximum height of 10 centimetres.
    22.2.4 The country name must be a height of 5 centimetres.
    22.2.5 Lettering should be horizontal, or as close to horizontal as practically possible, and
    placed near the top of the shirt.

23. ADVERTISING ON PLAYERS’ CLOTHING
    23.1 In all sanctioned tournaments, including those organised by the BWF itself and Multi-sport
    games, articles of clothing may only have advertising as provided in Regulations 23.2 to 23.5.
    23.2 The shirt may carry advertising as in Regulations 23.2.1 to 23.2.2.
    23.2.1 A maximum of one advertisement may appear on each of the following locations; left
    sleeve, right sleeve, left shoulder, right shoulder, left collar, right collar, right chest, left
    chest and centre chest. The shoulder is defined as the visible part of the shoulder on the
    front of the shirt. There must be no more than five advertisements in total and National
    flags or emblems for the purpose of this regulation count as advertisements. Each
    advertisement, including National flags or emblems, must be 20 square centimetres or
    less.
    23.2.2 Advertising contained in a band of uniform width not exceeding 10 centimetres on the
    front and not exceeding five centimetres on the backs. Such a band may be at any angle
    and may be on the front of the shirt, the back of the shirt, or both.
    23.2.3 If, in the Referee’s sole judgment, there is a clash between the content of the advertising
    in Regulation 23.2.2 and the tournament sponsors or the TV broadcasters, or if the
    content of the advertising would infringe local laws or be considered offensive, then the
    Referee may limit advertising on the shirt to Regulation 23.2.1.
    23.3 Other Clothing
    23.3.1 Each sock may carry two advertisements of 20 square centimetres or less.
    23.3.2 Advertising on shoes is accepted subject to the make and model of shoe being available
    in the open market for at least three months prior to the tournament in which they are
    being worn.
    23.3.3 Each other article of clothing may carry one advertisement of 20 square centimetres or
    less.
    23.3.4 Clothing worn under player shirts, shorts, skirts or dresses, shall be known as
    ‘underclothing’ and not categorised as ‘articles of clothing’, and if visible must not
    display advertising.
    23.4 Restrictions on the advertising
    23.4.1 The advertisements in Regulations 23.2 and 23.3 may be the clothing manufacturer’s
    emblem or that of any sponsor.
    23.4.2 Each advertisement shall only be of one organisation or product.
    23.4.3 The advertisements shall follow the International Olympic Committee principles and
    shall not contain any political, religious messages or anything which is not a commercial
    brand, registered mark or trade mark. (e.g. I don’t have a sponsor, I am nice, etc.).
    23.4.4 Players displaying tattoos, paints, transfers or similar (which are not on clothing) may
    not display any tattoo, paint or transfer which is illegal, defamatory or commercial in
    nature or otherwise in breach of the principles relating to advertising on clothing outlined
    in 23.4.3
    23.5 In multi-sports games (e.g. Olympic Games) the organisers may specify more restrictive
    advertising limitations on players’ clothing during play than in Regulations 23.2 to 23.4.

From: http://www.bwfbadminton.org/file.aspx?id=608510&dl=1

3. holhm22

holhm22 Regular Member

Student
    Thanks for the info! Still stuck though on the font I should use

4. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

You should use whatever you like. There is no rule you have to use that font :p. Also that logo is the old size, which is not according to regulations anymore ...

5. holhm22

holhm22 Regular Member

Student
    Yeah.. But I like to use the official Yonex font so it looks legit hahaha . But I just put that picture so people would get what I mean

6. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

From the standard fonts available Impact is pretty close (just a little fat)
    M A L A Y S I A

But it is probably one form of Helvetica, maybe custom even as I have two national team jerseys with an R in it and it is different. It used to be, probably still is, one of my favorite font styles as well but there are better out there. Certainly with the new regulations it doesn't look as good as before ...

7. holhm22

holhm22 Regular Member

Student
    Thanks. I settled with the Gobold font. Looks pretty legit

8. ArebaKhan

ArebaKhan New Member

Depending on how big you want it to be on your shirt, I think I'm usually stuck to 18 inches across the chest as the biggest one to fit on small shirts.
    Resolution depends on what you print as well, if you shoot at 300, you're going to be fine though. If you're going to screen half-tone, you're going to have to do some other prepress work where your resolution can be as big as you want, and when you half-tone it, the most you're going to be able to do for crap is around 55LPI.

#8 ArebaKhan, Jan 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
  9. xaviorwoods_32

xaviorwoods_32 New Member

It is the most common with the pros. Another name for this design is silkscreen printing.

For this method to work, you will need a stencil, and a nylon mesh. You set up the stencil, which is held by the nylon mesh. A water proof material will block the negative space that you want to design.

10. Shajee30

Shajee30 New Member

I agree with you. Thanks for sharing.