Shi Yuqi ( 石宇奇 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by Caffrey, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I'm inclined to agree with you. Apart from The Race to Tokyo Standings, the second criterion CBA use for selection to the Olympics is based on the players' overall performance against foreign players. On that count, there's a distinct possibility CBA might choose Shi Yuqi over either Lin Dan or Lu Guangzu - neither of whom has a convincing track record in the last one year or so - even if all three of them, four including Chen Long who's likely to remain the frontrunner among CHN MS, are ranked higher than Shi Yuqi as long as he is ranked within the top 16 by the OG QF deadline.

However, to my surprise somewhat, neither Zhao Jianhua nor Sun Jun in their recent statements have expressed any certainty of Shi Yuqi's chances of qualification and selection to the Tokyo Olympics. Perhaps they don't want to jump ahead of themselves and/or appear to show any bias towards any of the Chinese Olympic aspirants. That's understandable.

To be frank, despite having only four more months to go until the end April deadline, the probability of Shi Yuqi outpacing both Lin Dan and Lu Guangzu is fairly high, believable if not a certainty. In the end, even in the event of SYQ being ranked just below LD and LGZ but still within the top 16, I won't rule out CBA using criterion 2 of their Olympic selection of candidates to pick him in place of LD and LGZ. (Just that I'm not sure how LD would react or what he might do in protest. Personally, I feel LD should seriously consider giving his fellow young teammates a chance unless his performance the following four months turns out to be striking against all odds, but honestly, I'm not holding my breath as his last two years' results have been nothing but lackluster, to say the least. After all, what has LD got to prove, his achievements are already beyond the reach of anyone else in badminton history at least in the foreseeable future).

Cheung and LenaicM like this.
  2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

The 40-year-old Japanese Men's Singles coach, Yosuke Nakanishi , is basically saying Momota's biggest rival now is the leading CHN MS (he's obviously discounting the latest BWF world ranking) player, Shi Yuqi, adding that although he is currently injured (and recovering), but in terms of relative strength, there is not too big a gap between them.

However, compared with the competitive strength of Momota's opponents, Nakanishi is even more worried about Momota's state of mind during the Tokyo Olympics, because when all is said and done, it's Momota's maiden participation in the Olympics: " The important point is to avoid putting too much pressure on Momota."

#262 Justin L, Dec 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
    CLELY and LenaicM like this.
  3. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    in results, yes, possibly. but, i wonder if anyone is considering the fact syq has higher point finishes to defend in order to increase or maintain his points.

i haven't done the exact calculations but at a quick glance of upcoming events he needs to get to 1/4's, semi's & finals to improve his points, whereas, the goat is only defending 1st & 2nd round losses but still needs to finish high @ malaysia open.

improving last year's results from week 1 thru week 17 will be much more difficult for syq, especially if his ankle is not 100%. it's gonna be interesting to watch...

kurako, CLELY, KB@TB Em and 1 other person like this.
  4. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Indeed, he had decent performance in first half of 2019 as displayed below :

upload_2020-1-1_9-44-33.png

MAS Masters (Quarterfinal), All England (SF), SUI Open (Winner), MAS Open (SF) and BAC (runner-up). I believe he will take on several S300 tournaments prior to Tokyo Race deadline.

5. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Me too Cheung ;)
    Short interview clip that saw Shi YQ crying that shared by one of his vivid fans ( I guess he talked about Tokyo OG chance) :

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I should also mention I don't have Bahasa either!! LOL

7. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Just ignore the comment Cheung, practically she expressed how sad to watch that clip ;)

8. Neel Dhebar

Neel Dhebar Regular Member

I haven't understood how this works, if one player has earned their spot, how can the national association simply reassign it to another, who may be ranked lower?

9. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    blame bwf for that asinine rule. frankly i think it's fuc*ed up. it's another example of bwf giving control to the associations and penalizing the athletes who have earned their spot by attaining/earning a higher rank. the olympics is not a team tournament w/ a team score so why has bwf given the power of decision to the member association?

it's nationalism vs. individualism decided by a nat'l federation.

the athlete who ranks higher is going to feel screwed if they get passed over. is it a grudge they could ever get over? i certainly couldn't.

10. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

SYQ just needs 2 good tournaments.. a Final and a Final i think he'll qualify. He reached the Final of MacauOpen.

11. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

The rule is very controversial. Other international sports federations like Shooting and Wrestling have the same rule too.

12. Neel Dhebar

Neel Dhebar Regular Member

If LD qualifies and this happens, there will be a lot of hue and cry from fans. I don't think that would affect their decision though. Hopefully, he is respected enough that they will not do so.

However, for the Sudirman Cup, despite LD being China #3, LGZ was picked. That might be a different case as they wanted to give LGZ exposure and there was very little chance of #3 MS actually playing a match. Let's hope that qualifying for the Olympics is enough for him to qualify for the Olympics!

13. Zzzz

Zzzz Regular Member

May i know what you mean ? which higher point syq need to defend? the ranking point or olympic qualification point?

14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Good question, based on Olympic Qualification points that the Race to Tokyo comprises, Shi Yuqi is only about 3400 points behind Lin Dan and about 1,500 points behind Lu Guangzu. That's why I'm cautiously optimistic SYQ can surpass both of them.

15. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

I guess World Ranking that may impact for seeding position in next tournaments prior to deadline 26th April 2020, his current WR is #8, if he crashed out at early round (R/32) of MAS & INA Masters, possibly he would be out of top eight. That's why he's registered for Super 300 event (Thailand Masters) in following week to avoid that circumstances.

Cheung likes this.
  16. Zzzz

Zzzz Regular Member

Seeding is using 7 july 2020 ranking list.
    I think for Syq. first priority is olympic qualification tho..and he only played 7 tournament.still have high chances to increase .When others like lindan already playing more than 13. And ld draws is not good for upcoming tournament.But imo its not all competing with lindan or lgz. But more is to enter top 16.. Of course cba will register any super series this year for him. Since people don't know what will happen in the future. Better grab all chances when it's all left

#276 Zzzz, Jan 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  17. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

I mean seeding for next tournaments post January (not Tokyo 2020), for example is All England (seeding date 11 February 2020), if he could manage top eight WR, he would not get any seeding position there and the possibility to meet the elite MS in early round is quite bigger.

18. Zzzz

Zzzz Regular Member

For this we can only wait how is syq perfomance starting from this year..well.. Even not get any seeding and meet elite MS doesn't mean he will lose easily.
    With notes: his foot fully recovered, and doesn't suddenly have any problem again like blister etc . i hope his mentality stronger than before after all things that happened to him.

19. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Justin L likes this.
  20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

After last week's quarterfinals finish at the MAS Masters'20, Shi Yuqi has overtaken both Lu Guangzu and Lin Dan in The Race to Tokyo Standings as of today. SYQ now stands at 21st position with 38,291 points, LGZ at 24th with 36,690, and LD at 25th with 36,590.

Chen Long is at 5th position with 71,610 points.

However, Shi Yuqi has to get within the top 16 where at the moment Lee Cheuk Yiu is ranked at 16th with 41,640. Nevertheless, with only 8 tournament results counting for him, SYQ's chances of doing so looks achievable.

#280 Justin L, Jan 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    Sundis and Cheung like this.