Shaving your legs

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by scamp, Nov 26, 2018.

1. scamp

scamp Regular Member

I don't work out much but when I go to the gym I noticed some guys shave their legs these days. It looks like a new trend in the fitness world so does anyone know if badminton men do this? What about it? Will it shave off (ho ho) a split second from your movement?

2. badmintony

badmintony Regular Member

Makes the player aerodynamic while being sexy apparently

Sent from my JSN-L22 using Tapatalk

3. visor

visor Regular Member

Afaik swimmers, runners, and cyclists benefit from this. Badminton? Nah...

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

4. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

You can add some American Football players to the list and others who wear tights. They look funny with leg hair underneath.

5. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

6. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Yeah, sure. You will get faster by shaving your legs to the same degree the racket gets faster by skipping the third cross string... :rolleyes:

ucantseeme, B-J-R, phihag and 3 others like this.
  7. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Badminton pro players shave their legs for hygienic reason, mostly for receiving a massage on the legs which they do often. Amateurs who shave their legs, well it’s more for aesthetics reasons, especially if if they wear tights.

phihag likes this.
  8. InvincibleAjay

InvincibleAjay Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    Normal men shaving the legs to go to the gym, now I have heard it all, no thanks! BTW it does nothing to help you with your game, you are not creating that much air drag playing badminton with hair on your legs compared to without. This is just absurd.

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.

9. event

event Regular Member

Runners? I've never heard of that. Even with cycling, I don't think drag at 50km/h provides an aerodynamic reason for shaving. We were always told it was to avoid complications in the event of road rash. I think a lot of cyclists just follow the trend, though. I shaved my knees recently just so I could apply some of that funky athletic tape. It doesn't stick as well to hairy legs. I suppose badminton players who have to apply that type of tape regularly and on various spaces could decide that keeping legs permanently shaved is beneficial in some way.

Cheung likes this.
  10. seanc6441

seanc6441 Regular Member

Someone suggested it was to painlessly apply and remove the strapping/tape they apply to their muscles and joints.

That stuff sticks like a plaster so you can imagine the anmoyance of having that applied over hair every time you want to play.

That's why pros shave their whole body almost or so I've heard.

11. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I shave my legs and the rest of my body below my head. In summer I don't get smelly so easy when I play tournaments, it feels better and it's easier to shower and get dry. It makes it also easier to apply salve for injuries or to use massage roller and make wearing compress sleaves more comfortable. Getting faster? I never experienced that.

12. It'sMeMeMe

It'sMeMeMe Regular Member

eh i'm surprised there is such thread...haahha
    actually one of the player in my group shave too...... he said becoz when sweating during badminton session the presence of hairs on the legs errrr.. how to say this.... he said the hairs retains sweat more than without hairs...thus legs more heavy since sweat is heavy.... kinda like he change his shirt after each game coz sweat is heavy...
    dunno if it makes sense or not since i never shave below my neck and have no intention of trying to prove his theory :rolleyes:

ucantseeme likes this.
  13. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Regular Member

I shave my legs cause hairless legs look and feel great. And badminton is a great way to show off their aesthetic and their athleticism.

They don't make you faster.

As for changing shirts, If I change my shirt it's probably because I don't like playing with a wet shirt rather than gaining a miniscule advantage of dumping sweat weight. I imagine it's like that for most people.

I think most 'reasons' (aside from medical tape or being massaged a lot) are excuses to justify what they want to do for more vain reasons.

14. Cesium

Cesium Regular Member

Web Developer
    Yes it reduces drag! Shave your hair as well and go bald!! Maximise aerodynamicness!

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Shaving has some advantages, but not really for badminton.

1. Most of all, for those who get physical therapy / massage, it is much easier and less painful to have cleanly shaved skin. It just works better and the massage therapist can slide along the muscles much better.
    2. For those who tape, taking off tape without hair is trivial, peeling with hair... well, that's a character building experience.
    3. Easier to wipe off sweat with smooth skin.
    4. Some ppl like the look and feel of smooth skin.

I do it for 1/2 above, and a little bit of 3/4

#15 kwun, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  16. Super85

Super85 Regular Member

Just shave my feet because the hair follicles gets really sore after long all day in sweat.

17. kaffars

kaffars Regular Member

Geologist
    I've just noticed after reading this post that the back of my calves are pretty hairless due to the fact that I rub my shoes on them to quickly clean the soles during points when I'm playing. Halfway there?
    Generally I'm not that hairy anyways.