Serving: Blocking View of Your Partner

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Abdullah Ahmad AAK, Oct 13, 2021.

1. Abdullah Ahmad AAK

Abdullah Ahmad AAK Regular Member

In recent months I have started to play more proactively at the frontcourt. That means I often have to move for shots I anticipate. One of these anticipations is after a low serve.

The situation is this: I do a low serve, the opponent attacks my low serve (push/drive to the side/middle). Many of times I know where the return is going to come and can intercept it. So I move and try to intercept it. But many partners I play with say they can't see the shuttle when opponent is bringing racket to it/contacting it.

Before I serve I am near T, on serving side of court, racket leg back, non-racket leg forward. After I serve, I situate my feet horizontally and step to middle of court, ready to intercept any shuttle.

Partners say I shouldn't do that. Or I should serve and duck down a little. But when I do that I feel like I'm losing my quick reactions and can't intercept shuttles even though I know where they're going to go.

What's the solution? Because I don't think I can play to full ability if I'm worrying half the time about whether my partner can see the shuttle or not.

NOTE:

Shorter and slightly taller partners both have complained about this. How do I fix this, without losing my anticipation/reactions at net?

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Serve out to the side a bit more

3. Signature

Signature Regular Member

Hard to know without video, but I think I agree with your partners. Sounds like best case scenario you intercept it and you get the attack, worst case scenario you guess wrong and partner can't see shuttle = lost point. Serve and squat, dont serve and duck, that would compromise your vision.

Look at good players and see what the front court player covers and how their stance is after the serve. Good example here from Joshua and Joel Eipe

4. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Im had a flashback in my mind few year ago. Friend of my friend join us (he is totally beginner). His size are so damn big, feel like playing behind an elephant:eek:. Feel sorry for his motorcycle:confused:, no one else can ride with him, all the seat are full of his butt. (Imagine yourself how big is he) so how big are you:rolleyes:?

Just a joke friend:D... Anyway, where are your partner stand? Is it right behind you or abit to the side?
    & how good are your low serve? Bad serve can be easily cut fast while also hiding on your body upon hitting. Good serve can only mean lift or net to force you to lift which less likely your partner having difficulty to take it coz of losing sight of the corck.

5. khoai

khoai Regular Member

You are doing fine. Your partner is supposed to stand a bit on the same size as the receiver because straight returns are on shorter paths and crosses should be intercepted by you. Normally, it's just half a step but you should adjust accordingly with your and your opponents' ability. For example, a bit more to backhand and a bit less to forehand side and how good your serves and/or your opponents' return preferences.

Actually you can see that in the video posted above. The guy in black stands with one foot on the center line when the serve is on the forehand side and more neutral vice versa. Note that he also leans to the side so he can see better.

Signature likes this.