Service Fault or Not ?

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Vamsi Mocherla, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Vamsi Mocherla

Vamsi Mocherla New Member

How is this not a service fault?

There are many situations very similar to this during the game.

2. iAsianGuy

iAsianGuy Regular Member

I've noticed this many times, and everytime wonder the same thing. I really think BWF need to get the service judges some glasses or some kind of proper training.

I respect all the players, but they really need to stop getting away with these serves.

3. stradrider

stradrider Regular Member

Yes, seems like a service fault to me. However don't forget that we don't know for sure because of the camera angle, perspective can be misleading...

Couple of notes though :cool:. It's not the point of contact that is supposed to be under the waist line but the whole shuttle ;). The waist line is defined by the lower rib and it seems to me the line is quite low in the video. Another thing to note is that it is very easy for us to see it in a stop motion saying "or yes, it is definitely a fault" while for the person sitting there it is a split moment and his job is to fault only if he is absolutely sure.

I agree I would like to see more consistency regarding service faulting. However I am not sure how BWF would be able to implement the training, considering so many countries and continents involved? It will be interesting to follow where it is going with the new fixed service height rule... Perhaps it will be easier to judge consistently and there will be more training programs which would improve the situation?

4. juneau-AK

juneau-AK Regular Member

When the service is delivered from the logo-level, absolutely sure argument does not cut it. It is a service fault. No dilly dallying with seems to be either. Service judging is not for the faint of heart, it requires training and courage. A strong service judge also makes life that much easier for the high chair.

The training part is the easier one to achieve, the courage part not so much. Courage and confidence becomes secondary with more and appropriate training and experience.

Where to get experience? At the nearest gym or club. Set up the chair, set up the camera, even a hi-res mobile phone camera would suffice. Recruit a couple of your dearest buddies; I am certain the club coach would help too. Many will oblige you with their meanest services. Review, review, review. How many going to the elite competitions do this? How many look at the draws as soon as they are published? It is all about preparation, getting the mind-set, same as players.

#4 juneau-AK, Jan 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  5. stradrider

stradrider Regular Member

I disagree. "Absolutely sure" argument always stands. Some times there is a very fine line between a fault serve and "seems to be a fault" serve. There is no place for an error - you do not want to fault a correct serve. The kind of serve as in the video is extremely hard to judge correctly because he starts below the line and than lifts the shuttle in a split second. It is nearly impossible to judge correctly if it was hit before it's too high or after. Human brain does not register it fast enough.

Practice helps of course but it goes both ways - there are some situations where you have to be extra careful because you know your judgement might not be correct...

#5 stradrider, Feb 1, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  6. Vamsi Mocherla

Vamsi Mocherla New Member

I agree too - I mean no disrespect to any player, but the service judges need to be strict and fair (i guess ?), because this particular service is clearly too high for the professional level.

7. llrr

llrr Regular Member

In this case though I have very little doubt that a human eye cannot register how high Gideon served that shuttle. It's basically chest height and there's no way you could not see the fault serve. The camera angle also cannot be misleading because it's side on same level as him. If you watch the full speed video of his serve you will still see that he lifts his racquet by a huge amount just before hitting the shuttle. I think like with every sport top players get away with many things and don't get penalized. Nadal and Djokovic regularly go over the 25s allowed between points but they rarely if ever get warned.

8. psyclops

psyclops Regular Member

Players will do as much as the officials permit them. It is not up to the player to stop getting away. That would be idyllic, would it not?
    It is for the umpire and service judge to stop them from getting away.

As for the early point about BWF need to get ... glasses / training, my approach is why BWF need to, umpires and service judges could train properly by themselves. Glasses? Have you seen rubgy umpires? Their sponsor is Spec Savers - hilarious, I know.

9. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

It is a service fault, just not called by the service judge. Humans aren't perfect.