Seeking Advice - Clear Stroke

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by lordrogue, Oct 11, 2012.

1. bbirdman

bbirdman Regular Member

Yeah changing your technique is difficult. I found this changing grips and like you when under pressure revert back to my old ways. Like somebody has already said lots and lots of clears and treat practice games as practice games to change your technique.

2. Borbor

Borbor Regular Member

When you are learning a new motor pattern, just remember: if it doesn't feel strange, you haven't changed.

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Here, if you want to change the overhead stroke, I think you need to make a decision on having a personal coach and having one-on-one training or one-on-two students training. People here have pointed out the technique changes required. You have the insight that your stroke is inefficient - the question is how to change...?

I had a similar problem with a poor technique overhead action. Whilst I could play matches and competitions, I had hit a ceiling with what I could do with the stroke.

My solution was this:
    1) hire a national player who could coach - went through a friend's recommendation
    2) train twice a week with him for first 3months to break the 15 year old bad habits
    3) work right up from basics just like a beginner to relearn everything

My coach trained in China before so it was quite physical style training with him. I had to learn footwork first in order to actually get to the right position. I remember very clearly him telling to turn my body more to face the side of the court when preparing. Spent ages with him telling me to hold the racquet slightly behind my head with the racquet face facing inwards. Sometimes it was quite frustrating. As my footwork improved I noticed my stroke play improved as well. Every adjustment to technique adds up.

The disadvantages are clearly the cost. Also in a training session you need to rest and that time you rest, the clock is ticking. That's why having two students to one coach is more efficient use of the coach as you can alternate with the coach. The other problem is one hour is not quite enough on one night so I use to book two hours. With the high intensity training drills and then short rest periods, it was exhausting but fitness for competitions became a non-issue. After 3 months I dropped back to once a week sessions. It was clearly a very high investment especially as I was paying for my training partner as well (my wife!). She got quite good as well :)

Because of your table tennis background, you already are used to moving your body around. I think you could probably pick up new badminton techniques faster. It just a matter of drilling the right technique into your muscle memory.

Never regretted the money I spent on that period (equivalent to a couple of nice overseas trips;)) because it opened many doors to enjoying badminton at a higher level.

Best of luck

#23 Cheung, Oct 15, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  4. lordrogue

lordrogue Regular Member

I talked a bit about this with my coach, and he didn't agree that the doubleswing motion or incorrect preparation was the main issue for the injury. Instead he thought it was related to not trying to get behind the shuttle enough, and when you can't - while being pressured into rear court - not using a more relaxed motion for the underarm swing (as you have no help from your body). I can kind of relate to that, since it's in those situations I feel the most strain in my arm.
    There was another tournament this weekend. For the first playday it actually felt fine, the second day was incredibly painful and after losing the semifinals I had to go buy some ice. Curse this arm...

While one on one coaching is attractive, it's more a question of economy rather than the effort or fitness. I'm already spending a lot of money on badminton fees for the club, tournaments and gear. Dunno how people like Rasmussen can afford to buy a permanent personal coach from China.

5. XtC-604

XtC-604 Regular Member

Store Manager
    I think the issue is due to multiple things:
    1)Looks like your being pressured into those shots every time.
    2)You're almost just hitting the bird like women when they start to play badminton. This is no disrespect, it's just that most girls will hit to the side of them because they don't have enough power to clear from straight above their heads.
    3)Well, plain out your stroke is wrong.

Solution: Footwork drills, IE scissor kick. It's almost impossible to have a stroke that is that wrong when you scissor kick as your leg will be in the way for the follow through. Hit high and early. Pretty much almost 12o clock impact, and the racquet should be almost straight above your head.