SEA Games Day 6 -- Finals

Discussion in '2005 South East Asian Games - Badminton' started by badMania, Dec 2, 2005.

1. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Hi bird,

In normal open tournaments, the loser always get eliminated. If someone withdraws, the opponent gets a walkover. No score needed. Just add w/o on the record for the winning player/s.

However, in group matches, where number of sets and points per set may be required for countback, the default score is the duck (15-0, 15-0). Remember, this is only needed for group matches where the loser is not eliminated immediately, like in Thomas/Uber/Sudirman Cups.

2. glencomienda111

glencomienda111 Regular Member

manager

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      94.3 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      67.3 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      71.5 KB
      Views:
    • 4.JPG
      4.JPG
      File size:
      72.6 KB
      Views:
    • 5.JPG
      5.JPG
      File size:
      85.5 KB
      Views:
  3. glencomienda111

manager
    mens doubles champions

Attached Files:

• 6.JPG
      6.JPG
      File size:
      85.1 KB
      Views:
    • 7.JPG
      7.JPG
      File size:
      80.1 KB
      Views:
    • 8.JPG
      8.JPG
      File size:
      74.5 KB
      Views:
    • 9.JPG
      9.JPG
      File size:
      83.2 KB
      Views:
    • 10.JPG
      10.JPG
      File size:
      80.2 KB
      Views:
  4. glencomienda111

manager
    mens singles champions

Attached Files:

• 11.JPG
      11.JPG
      File size:
      69.9 KB
      Views:
    • 12.JPG
      12.JPG
      File size:
      69.6 KB
      Views:
    • 13.JPG
      13.JPG
      File size:
      50.1 KB
      Views:
    • 14.JPG
      14.JPG
      File size:
      96.1 KB
      Views:
  5. glencomienda111

manager
  6. badMania

badMania Regular Member

I am also happy that we can take 4 out of the 5 golds on offer today. No doubt losing the men's team event is disappointing, because we know we can win. Too bad, Sony and Markis/Hendra were both off form that day.

I agree too that the best result of this SEA Games is the women's singles gold. I predicted before the games that Firda will at most enter the semi-final, yet, she surprised everyone and beat Xing Aiying, Salakjit Ponsana, and Wong Meow Choo consecutively. Earlier, she also beat Li Li. So, for the entire games, her record is 6-0. Hendrawan's work definitely paid off. All those cancellations must have worked and the gals definitely improve a lot this year.

What I would like to see next year is for them to be sent to 3-4* tournaments like Chinese Taipei, Thailand, ABC, Phillipines, and Malaysia Opens; the 5-6* home and neighboring opens (Singapore and Indonesia Opens). With at least Round 1/16 or Quarter-Final placing in most of these tournaments, I am sure some of them will go up to at least top 20.

Today's women's doubles was definitely the best match and oh boy..it was a close one at the end. I thought Wong/Chin will have taken the match at 12-4, but, Jo/Greysia showed their never-to-die spirit and fought all the way till the end. Atik Jauhari should be a happy man too despite the eventual loss.

Jo/Greysia have certainly established their position as one of the top 4 pairs in South East Asia, alongside Wong/Chin, Saralee/Sathinee, and Jiang/Li. They should have no problems breaking into the top 10-15, with a current ranking position of 22 at the moment. To be as competitive as the top 4 pairs will be difficult to achieve, but, I expect them to record more wins against the other top 10 pairs and some upset wins against the Chinese and Korean pairs. They have the potential!

As for men's doubles...the 2 pairs we sent here are more or less world class standards (esp Luluk/Alven). Luluk/Alven isn't young anymore and next year is a crucial year for them. They need to really clinch the major titles like All England and WC. Only by doing that then they can be considered a real world class pair. If by end of next year, they still couldnt perform, a split is necessary!

As for Markis/Hendra, I strongly disagree with breaking them up. They are still 21 and I am certainly happy with their achievement this year. The key is to maintain the consistency. They certainly have the attacking edge, what they need is to play smartly and not to attack mindlessly. They have beaten most of the top 10 pair (except maybe for Fu/Cai and Eriksen/Hansen) this year and they will definitely be a world class pair in 1-2 years time. A couple of 5-6* titles will be required of them.

#226 badMania, Dec 3, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2005
  7. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

8. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Here are some ramblings from me, if you don't mind badMania...
    Yes, while i agree that probably now is too early and not the right time to "break-up" either of them, i would say splitting them up for a *temporary* period is not bad either, just to see if they can work with another partner. Now, i'm not trying to say that Luluk/Alven are not going to work, but after going *the whole year* without even 1 title in their pocket, if i'm not mistaken, Luluk/Alven def. have gone the opposite direction from last year's success. One whole year without 1 single title, yet they are "supposedly" going to replace Candra/Sigit..?!?!..But OTOH maybe i might be wrong also, maybe next year Markis/Hendra will struggle and the opposite could happen with Luluk/Alven...hmmmm, we shall see.. :p :rolleyes:

9. Sandy

Sandy Regular Member

welcome thank's

I'm male.
    Actually I turned around more in tennis forums esp. WTA. Good traditions in there if people watch live score or broadcast woulde be reported in boards. I just followed this good traditions into badminton.
    Nice to see INA, THA, CHN, JPN, KOR, TPE also AUS people supported each others, because we are minority.

I also has biggest games in there, many ppl called this is one of most interesting of board, hope to see badminton also has it.

for comparation, this is my game,
    http://www.wtaworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=79

when I run US Open 2005,
    http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=187709

10. Sandy

Sandy Regular Member

11. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Ok...off the topic of badminton.

Ooh...are u one of the guys in Angie forum??? I used to go to her forum during some of the tournaments from 2002-2004. Unfortunately, Angie was injured last year, and have not been able to play for the past 1 year. It is frustrating for tennis fans.

I still remembered the highs during her junior years capturing the Wimbledon, French Open and Aussie Open titles in singles and doubles. Then, also some memorable tournaments like the Wismilak in Bali, the one in Pattaya, Asian Games 2002, and some 2003 tournaments. Angie is definitely one of Indonesia's youth sensation and she even broke into the top 60 or 70 before succumbing to injuries :crying: :crying: :crying:

Well, the women tennis team have been doing well in the SEA Games, thanks to Wynne and Romana. Wynne should capture her third gold and perhaps fourth one with Suwandi in the mixed. But the mixed final is a little tough esp with the presence of the American import in the Phi Team.

#231 badMania, Dec 3, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2005
  12. Sandy

Sandy Regular Member

Yes, I am Angie's forum member also, but not active enough in there.

13. rollerbuzz

rollerbuzz Regular Member

Indonesia should try pairing alvent with hendra setiawan for a change though..

14. Sandy

Sandy Regular Member

I agree with your opinion, watch on some unforced error on SEA Gamesmatch, the "weak" player on both pair are Luluk & Markis Kidho.

PBSI's coach maybe knew it more, Markis & Hendra same age and same club although Hendra paired with Joko Riyadi and Markis paired with Ryan Sukmawan in Junior.
    Luluk still couldn't change his temperament when critical points and made silly errors. Alvent is the patience player who can manage Luluk's temper.

Alvent & Hendra have 5 years different old, but Jo Novita & Greysia Polii also had it, I thaught still suitable to be paired.

15. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm, IMO from watching pro players and playing myself, i think the partnership of any doubles pair(MD, WD, XD) should involve different style player(s), in order for it to work "efficiently". Because doubles is a TEAM event, technically. In other words, usually one partner should be doing the "dirty" work in the back while the other partner should be willing to be the "set up person", playing, controlling the net to set up for his/her partner. Of course temperament, mental, communication and in a way how much self confidence the partners has, are important factors as well..
    Regarding the Indo MD pair, Luluk/Alven, after watching some of their games, i just think it's more of their self-confidence and mental approach that has to do with their struggles. For example in the recent WC, i was watching the match between Tony/Howard and saw how both Luluk/Alven for some reason tend to just be passive and defensive, which IMO is a sign of their lack of self-confidence or to a certain extent their mental. Then of course, after committing many self-errors, their mental game and subsequently their emotional game falls apart. That's what i heard also from a few of their teammates while watching their match. About Markis/Hendra, i personally havent' watch them play much, so i can't really comment. Regarding age, IMO, i don't think it has any much effects in doubles. Of course, it's not a bad idea to keep the partners' ages quite close(1-2 yrs.).
    Hopefully, if PBSI, decides to keep the pairs as they are, Luluk/Alven can overcome their struggles next year and learn from their "disappointments" this year..Pairing up Alven/Hendra is not bad idea, but what's going to happen to Markis/Luluk?? Are they going to be paired up as partner?? If so, boy, with what Sandy has wrote, that won't look too pleasant.. :p :rolleyes:

#235 ctjcad, Dec 4, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2005
  16. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    The performance of the players is really erratic. Mental aspec of their game is still raw. Its really dissapointing at times.

17. smashmouth

smashmouth Regular Member

banker
    luluk & alven

I was fortunate to have been able to watch the individual event finals live. Just like most of the people here, I was rooting for Luluk & Alven to win the gold.

I wonder if it's normal for these 2 to 'fall apart' under pressure. Most of the people who watched it in the arena noticed that they seem to be at each others' nerves. When I watched the WC on tv, I noticed the same thing. I guess Sigit & Candra has the edge in terms of the mental aspect of the game.

I hope they work on this, since they already possess skill and athletic ability.

18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Yes, one can never be sure. You may win in the Team event, beating the same opponent whom you eventually lost in the Individual event. Just to show that these players are more or less of the same standard and it boils down to the form of the day for them! But your idol and friend, Taufik, did not play in the Individual! Who knows what could have happened if he did ;) ?

19. NPBC001

NPBC001 Regular Member

20. zia.ufrida

zia.ufrida Regular Member